• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 - Worse IQ and Performance on PS4 Pro after newest Patch

viHuGi

Banned
As someone on the outside looking in, every step of the PS4 Pro launch has seemed like a mess.

All games running flawless here, don't know where are your issues.

Modern Warfare Remaster - Flawless and better than OG
Black Ops 3 - Flawless and better than OG
Infinite Warfare - Absolutely Flawless and better than OG
Mordor - Flawless
Uncharted 4 - Flawless
Ratchet and Clank - Flawless

Didn't test more but will update ASAP, will test Last Guardian soon.

I can't notice the resolution difference, but some maps like the scar village and empire's edge are dropping a lot of frames that I never saw before. Haven't played on the forest map, which is odd as before the patch it only put me in that map or ballroom. So weird

Surfinn

Maybe it just because im salty, because I had such an flawless experience before the patch.
For sure, I also noticed a hit in performance on PC. I'm sure they'll reverse what they messed up. We knew it can run better and so do they. I'm sure they're working hard to fix it. Seems like a widespread issue.

For sure, I also noticed a hit in performance on PC. I'm sure they'll reverse what they messed up. We knew it can run better and so do they. I'm sure they're working hard to fix it. Seems like a widespread issue.

The way they fix things, it might end up breaking another 10 things.

TheYanger

All games running flawless here, don't know where are your issues.

Modern Warfare Remaster - Flawless and better than OG
Black Ops 3 - Flawless and better than OG
Infinite Warfare - Absolutely Flawless and better than OG
Mordor - Flawless
Uncharted 4 - Flawless
Ratchet and Clank - Flawless

Didn't test more but will update ASAP, will test Last Guardian soon.

I mean, not sure if you're intentionally being obtuse or not, most games are running ok but a significant amount run worse on the pro than they should, or even old hardware. Those are the issues.

I'm sure it'll get worked out but it's a bad look for shit to not look like a pure upgrade right now.

Man Frostbite really deserves better CPUs in these consoles. The limited bandwidth reserve combined with an already barebones CPU is really giving the PS4 Pro some trouble.
Frostbite is multi-threaded to the max. Jaguar is a not a huge bottleneck in that case. And let's not forget that DICE already offloads everything they can to GPGPU compute shaders (physics, destruction etc).

I'd love to see Zen in the PS5, but hopefully not to the detriment of PS4 BC (as Cerny said).

I mean, not sure if you're intentionally being obtuse or not, most games are running ok but a significant amount run worse on the pro than they should, or even old hardware. Those are the issues.

I'm sure it'll get worked out but it's a bad look for shit to not look like a pure upgrade right now.

A significant amount? Isn't it like 2-3 games out of 12-14+?

Not sure I would call that significant.

mike6467

A significant amount? Isn't it like 2-3 games out of 12-14+?

Not sure I would call that significant.

14-25% depending on how many games you're counting, possibly higher depending on what you consider to be an issue (better quality but worse FPS? That's a huge issue to some but just fine to others) It certainly isn't the clear message everyone said Sony was communicating after the announcement. They need 1-2 exclusives to dwarf the OG before I'll bite. I'm sure it'll happen, but this launch hasn't blown me away by any means.

14-25% depending on how many games you're counting, possibly higher depending on what you consider to be an issue (better quality but worse FPS? That's a huge issue to some but just fine to others) It certainly isn't the clear message everyone said Sony was communicating after the announcement. They need 1-2 exclusives to dwarf the OG before I'll bite. I'm sure it'll happen, but this launch hasn't blown me away by any means.

Yea but what games? The ones that immediately come to my mind are TLOU. I know there's a couple others that were mentioned.

BF1 sure isn't one. Same with UC4, R&C, Hitman, CoD, Fifa, Infamous and so on.

I think 2-3 games that are largely developer specific issues isnt a "significant" amount.

baconcow

Yea but what games? The ones that immediately come to my mind are TLOU. I know there's a couple others that were mentioned.

I think 2-3 games that are largely developer specific issues isnt a "significant" amount.

The only ones, with lower overall performance, that come to mind (and based on things Digital Foundry noted):
- Last of Us, The: Remastered
- Watch_Dogs_2
- Elder Scrolls V, The: Skyrim
- Mantis Burn Racing
- Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (seems to be only in some places)

mike6467

I think there's an argument to be made that the number is significant. Ignoring that though, general perception is the bigger issue. People who aren't following the system closely may not see why those issues are dev specific (again, not sure that's the case), but that doesn't make for good word of mouth.

You could argue that the target demographic for the Pro should be informed and know exactly what they're getting. First off, the messaging from before the launch was "it's better for everyone, 1080/4k, HDR or not and improves things across the board", this now seems subjective at best. Second, it's impossible to know what we're getting until after it's there, there is no requirement as far as what an improvement actually is. I'm also bothered by the "targeting 30/60fps" line, there's no weight behind it and seemingly no way to verify. It's why I'm holding out until the games I know for a fact the games I care about are actually going to benefit in a way that I care about (framerate, framerate and framerate).

I'm really hoping the games going forward are somewhat consistent in their options and optimizations. I want to buy into the hype (hell, I camped at my computer last winter and bought an anniversary PS4), and I'm 90% sure I'll pick one of these up eventually, but I think the "what did you expect, this is what they pitched" mindset doesn't really hold up with everything we've seen.

Just did a complete cycle on the new conquest hardcore mode... the crushed blacks and post-processing sludge on things like foliage and interiors really stands out and makes things look like it is a byproduct of the XBox one upscaler, nevermind the absence of the smooth and crisp frame delivery that was so prominent prior to the 1.04 patch.

PepperedHam

This bums me out so much. I was basing my Pro purchase off of this game and I was so ready to grab one ASAP after seeing it perform but reading this has totally left me deflated. I'm sure they'll fix it, and I'm more than likely picking up a Pro regardless (as it can't be worse than the PS4's performance in conquest) but seeing the initial impressions before this patch was so exciting to me.

kriskrosbbk

This bums me out so much. I was basing my Pro purchase off of this game and I was so ready to grab one ASAP after seeing it perform but reading this has totally left me deflated. I'm sure they'll fix it, and I'm more than likely picking up a Pro regardless (as it can't be worse than the PS4's performance in conquest) but seeing the initial impressions before this patch was so exciting to me.

We are all confused as well .It is beyond my universe how is it possible to achieve this with a single patch.Worse IQ & framerate in the sametime.DICE really?

black070

The only ones, with lower overall performance, that come to mind (and based on things Digital Foundry noted):
- Watch_Dogs_2
- Mantis Burn Racing

That's like.. the majority of Pro enhanced games right there man ! ;p

ufo8mycat

- Watch_Dogs_2
- Mantis Burn Racing

The reason I find DF so silly in a way is because their frame rate tests are based on graphs and frame counters. The frame rate number drops from 30fps to 29fps Oh No!

Real world performance and what's noticed or impacts you is a totally different thing, that's why DF is silly IMO

I have barely noticed any issues while playing Watch Dogs 2, TLOU or Skyrim.
Real world performance > Frame rate counters

Tycho_b

We are all confused as well .It is beyond my universe how is it possible to achieve this with a single patch.Worse IQ & framerate in the sametime.DICE really?

While keeping the same on XB1 (though same changes applied)... at least I didnt see anybody with XB1 complaining about worse performance on 1.04

I wonder what's going on.

kriskrosbbk

While keeping the same on XB1 (though same changes applied)... at least I didnt see anybody with XB1 complaining about worse performance on 1.04

I wonder what's going on.

As a matter of fact I don't see PS4 owners to complain as well. It is mainly PS4 Pro that was hit.

So to pour some additional salt into the already open wounds, i also think the pop-ins are worse than before (objects like trees and other foliage and sometimes textures). Especially on Argonne Forest (yeah, again this map).
There were some little pop-ins here and there from the beginning, but i think it's more noticeable now.

Regge

Neo Member
Whata mess. Took me like 10min before notice framerate got worse on pro , had to try my OG ps4 , and i think they run the same ... hey DICE ! Do something !!

Maybe it's because I didn't play BF1 on my Pro until after this patch, but is there really that much of a difference. Playing on a 1080p TV and the IQ is a HUGE improvement over the base PS4 version, not to mention the performance which is hella stable. Far more consistent 60fps.

Nxgamer posted a comparison between 1.02 and 1.04. Cant watch atm, can someone summarize? https://youtu.be/1bbhsPq1grQ

He doesn't see a difference and if there is one, it's barely noticeable.

Alienous

Seeing the PS4 Pro performance killed my desire to play the game on regular PS4. And I'm not so sure I want to upgrade to PS4 Pro, or just get back on the gaming PC train. I'm in gaming purgatory at the moment.

Nxgamer posted a comparison between 1.02 and 1.04. Cant watch atm, can someone summarize? https://youtu.be/1bbhsPq1grQ

No differences in frame-rate that aren't more easily explained by the dynamacy of multiplayer.

What was the timeframe of the 1.04 BF1 update and the 4.06 firmware update? If the firmware update came later, I wonder if it had an effect. I remember at least one dev stating that they expected it to have a positive impact.

I just got the game so I can't speak to pre-1.04 performance or IQ. Regarding the latter, the game looks pretty good to my eyes, but it's hard to compare to pre-1.04 screenshots and say it's exactly the same, so I'll let that go. Performance-wise... Man, I hope this isn't what the campaign was like before 1.04, because it's annoying. It doesn't seem to be dropping below ~50fps, but it is dropping frames, and fairly frequently at that. I haven't touched multiplayer yet.

ron_bato

Whata mess. Took me like 10min before notice framerate got worse on pro , had to try my OG ps4 , and i think they run the same ... hey DICE ! Do something !!

No. I just played with my og ps4 and then now on my pro and they are not even remotely the same.

Edit: i see nxgamer made a video, so i guess that should prove it. Its not a fool proof test, but its really hard to recreate these situations given how dynamic the mp is.

Also im not saying that 1.04 did not introduce issues, but just that the ps4 pro and og ps4 versions are not at all similar.

Case closed!

I wish, but not really. He didn't compared scenarios like Argonne Forest in Rush and Team Death match, where people experienced the worse framerate.
As mentioned before, not every map, in every mode, seems to be affected in the same way.
Many maps / scenarios seem to be unchanged.

Besides that, even Dice said they are aware of the problems.

I wish, but not really. He didn't compared scenarios like Argonne Forest in Rush and Team Death match, where people experienced the worse framerate.
As mentioned before, not every map, in every mode, seems to be affected in the same way.
Many maps / scenarios seem to be unchanged.

Besides that, even Dice said they are aware of the problems.
They are aware that people are having troubles. I doubt that they found any problems with performance on their side.

Case closed!

Pro performance and IQ remain exactly the same.

If only it was that simple. I even requested NXGamer to take a look at Argonne Forest on TDM and other smaller modes. Every single map handed in a solid 60fps on 24-player modes before the patch, I can't say the same after installing the new patch. Argonne Forest is the worst offender.

Worried that this is going to be the story of these inter-generational versions, and may only get worse with the power disparity the Scorpio will bring in.

Good that DICE is looking into it, though.

Marmelade

The reason I find DF so silly in a way is because their frame rate tests are based on graphs and frame counters. The frame rate number drops from 30fps to 29fps Oh No!

Real world performance and what's noticed or impacts you is a totally different thing, that's why DF is silly IMO

I have barely noticed any issues while playing Watch Dogs 2, TLOU or Skyrim.
Real world performance > Frame rate counters

Any drop, even 1 fps, from a locked, v-synced framerate is noticeable
Just because you don't doesn't mean nobody will

Regge

Neo Member
No. I just played with my og ps4 and then now on my pro and they are not even remotely the same.

Edit: i see nxgamer made a video, so i guess that should prove it. Its not a fool proof test, but its really hard to recreate these situations given how dynamic the mp is.

Also im not saying that 1.04 did not introduce issues, but just that the ps4 pro and og ps4 versions are not at all similar.

Well you got a point there. Unfair comparison.
Had a few operations running really bad on pro. Really bad fps, must have been below 30 alot just like og ps4.

But yesterday i when i played a round of conquest. It ran really good... like before patch. Can it be the weather system thats affecting fps? It was sunny and clear.

But 1.04 did bring more stuttering and worse aa.

-hadouken

Whilst I appreciate NX's comparison, it's hard to nail down changes unless you've personally spent considerable time with specific/differing scenarios. There is no doubt in my mind that the game is softer looking on a 1080P tele. This new blurry AA undermines that lovely crispness that came with 1.02. Let us turn it off, DICE.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The only time I've noticed worse IQ is the Victory screen at the end of a round. The res seems to drop really low there.

Top Bottom