• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 PS4 runs at 720p native [DICE: Incorrect]

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Not sure how your reaching that?.

just speculating. It seems cost effective to just make one version for both consoles, instead of tweaking and optimizing them to perform the best way possible on both. The structure are more or less the same on both, no?

squidyj

That's not a good way to start the first BF on a new gen of consoles.

Still, the dream of 1080p on next gen consoles was gonna die anyway over the years, sooner or later it was bound to happen. Most tittles will be 720p in a few years.

I tend to doubt that. It doesn't seem like DICE is investing a lot into PS4 and XBOne BF4 and they're dead set on 60fps. I think it's more likely that we'll see a lot of 1080p@30fps

Ryuuga

Banned
Personally, I can't stand 720p anymore, but 60FPS is a nice trade-off for anyone wishing to still get the console version of the game. If not for the fact it's doing much more than the previous console iterations, but that it's ever slightly closer to what the PC version has to offer instead of being at the opposite end of the spectrum.

I tend to doubt that. It doesn't seem like DICE is investing a lot into PS4 and XBOne BF4 and they're dead set on 60fps. I think it's more likely that we'll see a lot of 1080p@30fps

That's my take on it too. Back when BF4 was announced people weren't vocal about the console iterations being 60 FPS. In fact, people were looking forward to 64 players much more than the anything else. It was only when 60 FPS was mentioned at E3 that ears started to perk up and it was only assumed that meant that 1080p was a given.

Binabik15

Your 7870 could handle BF3 at near enough ultra settings and at mostly 60FPS, it shouldn't have any problems running BF4 at high settings 1080p.

Yeah, that's why I'm confused. The limited console CPU should have a big effect on framerate, not resolution, or am I torally wrong?

Some of the BF2 remake maps ran like shit on my pc, though.

No_Style

Am I missing some basic fact about how scaling works for how they make up for those 16 missing vertical lines without scaling? Black borders?

Shut down NeoGAF, a developer isn't directly and personally touched by an opinion held by a poster!

There are black lines. Some folks may not see it due to overscan?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I really hope this isn't going to be the cop out that devs use. Instead of making it native 1080p, upscale it from 720p because you know you can do the same for the X1.

Exactly what I'm expecting for the vast majority of third party games.

Also, remember the days when people were insisting that with PS4/XB1, games would all be 1080p?

Good times.

RetroStu

Banned
A few months ago, people on here were suggesting that most next gen games would be 720p with the odd game hitting 1080p. Well the truth is that the majority of games are hitting 1080p with the odd game hitting 720p, in fact Battlefield is the only game hitting 720p i think?.
The point is that if this happens the whole gen (most game hiting 1080p with the odd game 720p) then that is more than fine by me, especially when the said game is hitting 60fps.

Seriously guys, would you rather have a slightly sharper 1080p or 60fps movement?

Wat.

My 7770 runs BF3 on low/medium (textures high) @ 1080p 40-60fps (64p maps)

720p upscaled to 1080p is fine I guess. Depends on how it is upscaled, TV or the PS4 itself?

More than likely you have a capable cpu. People really underscore the importance of the cpu.

Yeah, it kind of sucks. Having said that, people need to manage their expectations. Sony and Microsoft touted hd last gen yet many titles were sub hd and those that weren't either didn't push the tech much or took some engineering wizardry and had to make design sacrifices. Be happy that 720p is the baseline this gen,

toff74

This is unacceptable for a next gen game. 1080p should be the standard.

Pre-order cancelled?
Sack the hardware engineers!!
I built a new spur from local distribution board just for the PS4 and i want it to be UUUUSSSSSSEEEEDDDD!!!

These kind of comments really make me laugh...

This gen very few games hit true 720.. and if they did the framerate was shaky at best. Most games that were fixed at 60fps had dodgy IQ.

Give me great visuals (IQ) at 720p60 and ill be happy. Give me 1080p60 and i'll be over the moon. Most TV's (not just now, but in the 4-5 year future) will still max out at 1080p.

And i would guess that the majority of gamers wouldn't even consistently be able tell the difference.

It would be nice to have the power, but not the end of the world AARRGGHH!!!!!

Exactly what I'm expecting for the vast majority of third party games.

Also, remember the days when people were insisting that with PS4/XB1, games would all be 1080p?

Good times.
There was also a time right before the consoles were announced when the highest a lot of people thought we would get is 720p/30FPS, we're doing much better than those common predections.

coldfoot

Banned
Who is this guy and why do we trust his tweet?
I find it unlikely that BF4 will be 720p on the PS4. Especially since KZSF is 1080p/60 in multiplayer and it's a next gen game, unlike COD.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
More than likely you have a capable cpu. People really underscore the importance of the cpu.

60fps says the CPU isn't the bottleneck here. Turning up the res shouldn't affect CPU load (?)

But BF3 isn't BF4 and BF4 on PS4 probably isn't using 'low' settings, and 40-60fps isn't a locked 60. Assuming BF4 is.

Pre-order cancelled?
I built a new spur from local distribution board just for the PS4 and i want it to be UUUUSSSSSSEEEEDDDD!!!

This gen very few games hit true 720.. and if they did the framerate was shaky at best. Most games that were fixed at 60fps had dodgy IQ.

Give me great visuals (IQ) at 720p60 and ill be happy. Give me 1080p60 and i'll be over the moon. Most TV's (not just now, but in the 4-5 year future) will still max out at 1080p.

And i would guess that the majority of gamers wouldn't even consistently be able tell the difference.

Absolute nonsense that keeps being repeated for some reason. The vast, vast majority of current gen games run at native 720p.

madmackem

just speculating. It seems cost effective to just make one version for both consoles, instead of tweaking and optimizing them to perform the best way possible on both. The structure are more or less the same on both, no?
Yet why would any dev leave extra power on the table if both were the Same architecture?.

Violater

DerZuhälter;77886557 said:
I remember getting promised 1080p back in 2005 by PS3. 8 years later and I'm still waiting.

You and me both brother you and me both, this is actually why I have a PS4 preordered.
leafs.gif

Feindflug

At first I thought Battlefield 4 was technically he most impressive looking launch game. But it seems now Killzone Shadowfall will hold that title.

First of all we don't know how BF4 looks and runs on the PS4, plus any comparison between the two games when one game runs at 30fps and the other at 60fps is completely out of place.

BF4 running at 720p doesn't automatically mean that it's a less impressive game tech wise especially when you consider frame-rate differences and destructible environments among other things (texture quality, AF/AA quality, post-processing effects e.t.c.).

Jack_AG

Banned
Draw distance.. Has nothing to do with resolution
The fewer the pixels, the lower the detail for farther objects due to being fewer pixels allotted to draw said object. You're right in what you said but objects farther away will have less object detail compared to a higher resolution image.

StevieP

Banned
BF3 also needs a beefy pc for maximum settings@1080p for unconditional 60fps. I am not surprised.

I am using a i2500k with Windforce GTX 670, 16GB Ram, SSD installation and the minimum is not 60fps.

But I thought console optimization!!1! Some people don't really know how much hardware grunt it really takes to run these titles at 10800p/60 in multiplayer, and why these consoles don't have it.

A cross-gen game running at 720p? Pretty disappointing.

This has nothing to do with cross gen - it scales extremely well all the way to high end PC hardware.

I can't recall any other game on next-gen running at 720p...

And it won't be the only one.

Who is this guy and why do we trust his tweet?
I find it unlikely that BF4 will be 720p on the PS4. Especially since KZSF is 1080p/60 in multiplayer and it's a next gen game, unlike COD.

KZ:SF is only doing 24 players, no destruction and as far as we know no vehicles. BF4 will be pushing a lot more than KZ.

Krilekk

Banned
Not that I'll be playing it on PS4 (PC) but it must be disappointing since the majority (all?) of next gen games seem to be running at 1080p with many at 60FPS too which makes KZ running at 1080/60 even more impressive.

Apples and oranges. FPS 1 is not comparable to FPS 2 for a number of reasons. But disappointing, if not even embarassing to say the least. If launch already gives us sub-1080p games then I feel sorry for what the future has to offer. Cerny, where is your super-charged PC now? Should've called it super-charged medium spec PC. Boy do I hate Nintendo for this whole mess they created with the Wii. I hope they at least learnt their lession and their next console will run circles around either PS4 and X1 with their abysmal offerings. And now I am again leaning towards a new PC. I want native 1080p for every game, 720p looks like shit on a 1080p panel. Wonder what the game runs at on X1. sub 720p even?

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I'll be happy if most games run at 60 fps next-gen. 720p with better AA can still look great but 30 fps is very poor. Devs should at least ensure that their games run at 60 fps in multiplayer.

JJD

This is shitty, but I kinda expected it.

BF4 is a huge, complex game. Much more demanding than probably every other console FPS out there.

Dice is sacrificing resolution to match COD's framerate.

I bet they could get to 1080P if they had went with just 30FPS.

I'm curious to see the end result, hopefully they have made the right choice.

I trust Jackfrags, dude is a cool guy and really well know on the Battlefield community.

Edit: Hopefully this means that everything else (besides resolution obviously) is turned to high detail.

Pre-order cancelled?

That is very far from the truth , most of the best looking games were 720p and had a good frame rate .
720p is crap and should die .

EDIT having a big TV and sitting close to it 720p is nonsense.

Top Bottom