• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 PS4 runs at 720p native [DICE: Incorrect]

If you honestly can't tell the difference between 30fps and 60fps, especially in fast-paced FPS', then your problem isn't psychological - it's physical. Get your eyes checked.

^This. Its a HUGE difference. I admit though, on my 47' LED, I dont see a difference between 720P and 1080p.

For those in the know, what do we know with regards to the scaling capabilities with the PS4 and Xbone?
From what I understand, the ROPS help in some way with resolution/scaling/anti-aliasing? Or am I way off?

Jack_AG

Banned
BOOM there it is.

Sign of things to come.

I wonder if this has to do with the Cpu being so weak and bottle necking the gpu.

Bf4 is essentially just Bf3 reskinned even my gtx 580 runs Bf3 at 1440p with everything on ultra at 60 fps.

Then again I also got a highly overclocked i5 2500k.
Its not a sign of things to come, IMO.

Its a sign of ultra multiplatform cross generation development. You can't make anything worthwhile with spreading your team over 5 platforms.

Spongebob

Banned
BOOM there it is.

Sign of things to come.

I wonder if this has to do with the Cpu being so weak and bottle necking the gpu.

Bf4 is essentially just Bf3 reskinned even my gtx 580 runs Bf3 at 1440p with everything on ultra at 60 fps.

Nope.

CPU would affect framerate not resolution.

Hollow

I don't understand why they couldn't get 1080p @ 60fps on the PS4 at least.

Isn't the PS4 running a GPU similar to a 7850?
DGHryo.jpg

Tt08mo.jpg

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/GPU13/583

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'm good with 720p60fps. I hope more dev go this route instead of 1080p30
I'm not fine with it, but at this early point in the generation, if that's what it takes, I'd rather them go for the higher framerate.

I think a dynamic framebuffer solution would work better, though.

Shikoro

Game is 1080p30: What the fuck?! Why don't they lower the resolution to get 60FPS? Framerate >>> image quality all day, every day.

Game is 720p60: WOW, what a disappointment! I thought next-gen could do 1080p60 no problem, instead we get something from 2005! Preorder cancelled!1

It just proves that people have no idea what they want and that developers are better off not listening to complaints of a technical nature.

VariantX

Embarrasing. If Killzone can pull out 1080p and probably 60 FPS in multiplayer, so should they.

No. There's no need for them to feel any embarrassment.

Maps are far larger in bf4.
Maps feature a good deal of destructibility.
Also has to account for 64 players vs. Killzone's 20 something players.
Some Maps also feature weather effects and some with added wave simulation.

Stands to reason that they chose framerate and features over the higher image resolution

JJD

1. Player count is mostly CPU based, and resolution really doesn't have anything to do with CPU power. Same goes with destruction.
2. Still, since when tweets by non-developers are considered sources?

Jack Frags is one of the most well know and popular guys on the Battlefield community.

He is not a developer, but he doesn't have an agenda. If he is reporting this, then it's just what he heard from someone at Dice.

He was one of the community guys invited by Dice to the BF4 unveil event in the US. They flew him from England to attend it.

Meh, it's a launch game that is being made for a ton of platforms, including current gen ones. When Battlefield 5 is PC/next-gen only, and it isn't rushed for a launch, we'll probably see 1080p and 60fps.

You think they can maintain the same graphical quality and FPS whilst increasing the resolution by more than 2x?

I doubt battleifeld 5 will use some magic coding language which will allow that.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
BOOM there it is.

Sign of things to come.

The CPU isn't the bottleneck if it's ticking along at 16ms/frame.

They've said that if your PC could play BF3 it'll play BF4 - but that there may be relative performance/quality tradeoffs vs how well it compared with BF3.

i.e. from a quality/perf point of view, it's not going to be the same load on your system as BF3

This is completely unacceptable, because we know what this means.

"Oh it's because maps are so big and dynamic weather and stuff!"
"Oh it's because it's an early launch title, the rest will be 1080p!"
"60FPS is all I care about!"

s9frnktstb.gif

No!
NO!
NOOOOOO!!!!!

This is how it starts. First it's one title that is 720p/60FPS that sells like mad and of course other devs will jump on board of the 720p moneytrain. Easier to stuff effects into a scene and make it look pretty.
And before you know it, singleplayer games jump onto 720p/30fps because responsiveness is not that important there and we see ourselves back at square one.

No fucking thank you.

Seanspeed

Banned
What's the big fucking deal? People are too hung up on resolutions and graphics these days. Too hard to please people.
So you don't understand why this is kind of relevant to people who are spending $400-500+ on a next-gen console?

I'm sure the game will still look great, but it is an indication of the limitations of the new machines in certain cases. They obviously had to make sacrifices to get 64 players at 60fps. Its understandable. A vast number of PC players will have to make some sacrifices to get that, as well.

velociraptor

Wow, this is fucking garbage.

How the fuck can the 7850 not run 1080p60fps?

I have a weaker GPU than the PS4 and I can play multiplayer EASILY at the above framerate.

DICE are a joke.

TheD

The Detective
People obviously never played BF, realized what is going on in the screen, what 64 players provoke calculation wise.

BF scales up to the highest end. Unconditional 60fps@1080p on maximum (PC) will require high end hardware that exceeds the cost of a console by far. You better have a GTX 780 at least for this and I expect even that card not to deliver a minimum of 60fps.

That is not true, BF3 does about 60FPS avg with a GTX680 on max with 4x AA in big battles, turning off MSAA should give a noticeable higher frame rate due to the fact that MSAA takes up much more processing power in a deferred renderer.
BF4 looks very close to BF3 and thus I doubt we will have a huge performance difference between the games.

Really? Take a look at the major franchises..

COD, BF, Halo.TR. Nope!

Oh.. and look at assassins creed 3. 720 yes.. framerate down to 20 in some parts. Killzone 3 is 720 and runs at a non constant 30 frames..

There are a FEW exceptions. of course they are. However for the franchises that everyone plays resolutions and frame rates are compromised.

Give me a machine that gives a constant fixed framerate at a decent resolution and good image IQ over a 1080 framerate mess.

BF4 at 720P60 with a good image IQ will be great. As the gen develops and more power can be squeezed out of the machines i'm sure it'll get even more impressive.
Who cares about major franchises when you were referring to all games. Your statement is still ridiculous and misleading and you throwing out the names of the few sub HD games available does not nullify that.

Smokey

What's the big fucking deal? People are too hung up on resolutions and graphics these days. Too hard to please people.

lemme drop $500 on a console and enjoy that wonderful blurry ass 720p upscaled picture on my 55'' 1080p tv, in 2013. so excited!

wowlace

Not gonna throw my toys out of the pram or anything but this is disappointing. What's the point of blu-ray and full hd-tvs if we are gonna roll with 720p?

Game is 1080p30: What the fuck?! Why don't they lower the resolution to get 60FPS? Framerate >>> image quality all day, every day.

Game is 720p60: WOW, what a disappointment! I thought next-gen could do 1080p60 no problem, instead we get something from 2005! Preorder cancelled!1

It just proves that people have no idea what they want and that developers are better off not listening to complaints of a technical nature.

Typical gaf reaction, almost nobody will be able to tell the difference.

Gameplay>graphics.

StevieP

Banned
Is there any footage of BF4 on PS4 yet? I know the PC version blows Killzone SF away, but that's a given.

The only footage is on PC.

I have a weaker GPU than the PS4 and I can play multiplayer EASILY at the above framerate.

DICE are a joke.

A single 7850 won't maintain 1080p/60 in multiplayer with any details cranked beyond mediums for the most part - I play tested it this way originally.

DICE are a joke now? Perhaps they should tweet that these consoles have "a weak, slow CPU"

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Not a big deal but I expected devs to use higher than 720p res. like 1366x768 or 1600x900 instead of going 1080p.

At the very least, they should use 4xaa at 720p.

Expect a post-process solution such as FXAA, MLAA or SMAA (this being the preferred of the lot, in my opinion) -- they're cheap to implement and "good enough" for the most part.

Arulan

I'll copy my post since the other thread seems to have died.

After all the PC vs. Console debates, the tech discussions, the endless cycles of graphics, pricing, and conveniences, and we're still using 720p on next-gen consoles. Other games can't even seem to maintain 30 fps, although Dead Rising 3 may be suffering from something else altogether. The reality of the situation seems clear, of course once the platforms hit, Digital Foundry's analysis articles will make it apparent.

I applaud them for sticking to 60 fps, this is one of the things I've noticed more developers take interest in, and I sincerely hope it does become a standard on consoles. Gameplay should always take precedent over graphics.

madmackem

You think they can maintain the same graphical quality and FPS whilst increasing the resolution by more than 2x?

I doubt battleifeld 5 will use some magic coding language which will allow that.
Tools will have improved, maybe bigger teams on xboxone and ps4 development by that point, this is a launch game made quickly on immature tools and dev kits to say the next game won't be 1080p is reaching.

Spongebob

Banned

DICE are a joke.
We can't say anything without knowing how much more performance is require of BF4 over BF3.

Since the game is 60fps, the CPU isn't a bottleneck. If PS4 can't run it at 1080p (with whatever settings), your GPU can't either.

I'll likely double dip on BF4. Buy on PS4 at launch cause all my people will be on it, buy on pc later during a Origin sale. I have a more than capable pc though(i5 3570k, 16gig ram, gtx 670) but I cant resist playing with mates and Vita remote play at launch.

driver116

BF4 from a visual standpoint blows Killzone away.

Lol, no.

This is going to sound shitty but... I wonder if it's because of the Xbox One version being capped at 720/60 due to the weaker hardware. Microsoft have a 'special' relationship going on with EA and so it would look bad if the PS4 version runs at 1080/60. Just a thought -
yes, I'm clasping at straws

Not surprising considering the 60 fps. It's a shame that at the very start of the hardware cycle there's already the need to significantly compromise resolution to achieve 60fps. It's natural that people expect a game that is releasing at the same time as the hardware to not have any compromises but then again, the same would happen to all the other games that are only targeting 30fps.
I guess it's a case of lowering your expectations.

SiRatul

BOOM there it is.

What are you talking about? There is no way that a single 580 can pull of 60fps on 1440p on ultra especially in multiplayer.

Top Bottom