• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ben Affleck Is The New Batman

Status
Not open for further replies.

vooglie

Well goddamn, son, let me find some of these real life motherfuckers who think this shit is a great fucking idea cuz I can't find a one. Mentioned this to my Pops and he was like "You fuckin' kidding me??" He didn't start a petition though. Just shook his head, cracked a couple of beers and passed me one. Shit, only place I've seen people actually okay with this terrible choice was here in insulated whiny internet nerdville.

Haha what the fuck is this

greycolumbus

The success of others absolutely infuriates me.
Was there this much backlash when Heath Ledger was announced as the Joker for TDK?

Eh, not really. He wasn't as well known or renowned as Ben Affleck (who is coming off the success of a high profile film). There was a lot of "gay cowboy" rhetoric being thrown about though. Personally, my only reference was A Knight's Tale.

The best thing about Affleck being a part of this is that there's no way he'll act in another unbearably shitty Goyer script. He's ten times the writer Goyer is, thank god - his presence alone might save this film.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Ben Affleck being involved in the next movie means the blow of Zack + Goyer would be lessened. Zack likes collaborating and he will take some Ben input, I would bet my candy ass on it. Not only that but Ben would have big input on not only the next few Batman movies but Justice League as well most probably. Getting a director/writer of his talent is a big deal for WB/DC... you have to look beyond just "oh he doesn't have the intimidation factor of Batman" to realize this.

I am cautiously optimistic about this... and I am mostly cautious not because of Ben Affleck but because of Zack + Goyer on the movie.

Yeah, Affleck playing Batman isn't this movie's biggest problem, the Goyer + Snyder combo is. If you consider what a mess Man of Steel turned out be, my faith in this project is pretty much zero. Potential involvement of Affleck in writing/directing would be good news.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
doesn't look so bad.

batfleckimage.jpg

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Was there this much backlash when Heath Ledger was announced as the Joker for TDK?

Yeah, with Ledger it seemed there was more of a "Who?" rather than outright disgust on Day 1. Ultimately, I wanted a relative unknown cast for the new Bats, like Cavill as Superman. Brolin would've been dope though if they had to go the celebrity route.

Apdiddy

Ben Affleck doesn't strike me as being physical enough to play Batman. I could see him being better as a villain than a hero -- he has that jackass side to him and I think he could be a really good Harvey Dent/Two Face. He shouldn't be the main guy, but more of a supporting guy. If anything, they either need to have a) a younger actor to play a "Year One" Batman since Superman in the Man of Steel is more or less a "Year One" Superman or b) have him be slightly older guy that's been around a bit longer.

I know this would be sorta dumb, but Jonathan Rhys Meyers would be great as Batman (or at least Bruce Wayne). I'm not sure how he would do as Batman. He's worked with Henry Cavill before on The Tudors, so it would make the most logical sense. He may have the same problem as Affleck where he's not physical enough to play Batman.

I think their hoping to have Affleck do for Batman what Robert Downey Jr did for Iron Man, but it will come back to haunt them.

Affleck is writing this script? This may actually turn out to be good.

Probably not writing it though he'll have a hand in revisions most likely. The thing is, it's hard to really know how much Affleck actually cares/knows about Batman and what vision he has for the character. I mean obviously he's got some experience in the area and has connections to people who are passionate about Comics/Superheros, so hopefully he'll at least veto any ridiculousness that might get written in otherwise.

Saw a new poster of ben affleck for one of his new movies coming out and to my surprise to looks the part way better than Bale ever did.

When you think about it, Bale is actually a worse choice than affleck.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe Affleck wants to sit in the directorial chair for Justice League?
Probably. I think he doesn't want to direct movies he can't star in. WB probably wanted him for Justice League and he refused unless he can play Batman.
Or something.

Saw a new poster of ben affleck for one of his new movies coming out and to my surprise to looks the part way better than Bale ever did.

I'll let the final product decide that for me. I reserve all judgment until the movie comes out.

tino

Banned

You guys don't get it. Bale is an alter ego of Nolan, therefore he is the best or almost the best option for the Noloa batmanverse. Afflect is not an alter ego of Snyder in fact the egos of these two directors will be clashing on the set of Superbatman movie.

If you want to make a case that Bale is not a good Batman is another subject, but giving the director/writer WB has settled down so far there are better options out there than Affleck.

In fact WB shouldn't have hired Snyder to make the Superman movie in the first place. These DC franchises have bad joojoo written all over it.

royalan

Okay, but that's pretty different from trying to frame the controversy that's popped up over the past two days as being something that is vastly different from what happened with either Ledger or Keaton - responses which were, still, more nasty and loud than what's happening now, with much less of a pushback from those willing to give them a chance than what's happening with Affleck.

NOBODY thought Keaton was going to be good, and nobody thought Burton was a solid pick. People were expecting a wacky comedy from the guy who did the Pee-Wee movie, starring Mr. Mom.

I'm willing to say the bar Affleck has to leap is a lot lower than the one Ledger had to clear. Jack's performance as Joker didn't age all that well, and Ledger's choice to go a completely different direction VERY much helped him. Affleck has to essay an already established Batman as a supporting character in a movie that isn't focused on him.

Nobody's ever said this. Not a single person.

...but didn't you just say on the last page that the hooplah surrounding Ledger being cast as Joker WASN'T louder? In fact, you acknowledged it and tried to argue inflation.

I don't think it was louder at all. Nastier? Maybe, since it involved a bunch of tasteless gay jokes. But not louder.

But we're just going in circles now.

...but didn't you just say on the last page that the hooplah surrounding Ledger being cast as Joker WASN'T louder? In fact, you acknowledged it and tried to argue inflation..

No. I said Ledger's casting made more noise, for a more sustained period. You must have misunderstood me initially. I said maybe Affleck's noise will eventually reach Ledger's, but it's only been a couple days, and there's already significant pushback from the media saying "okay, wait a minute, this is a little overheated, let's really look at the dude's resume here."

I also said that neither the Ledger noise NOR Affleck's current noise level has shit on what happened when Keaton was cast and Burton was directing.

I argued "inflation" as a means to contextualize why you think things are so much worse for Affleck now than it was for Ledger/Keaton. that it seems Affleck is taking way more of a beating because media now is much more focused on taking "trending topics" from facebook/twitter/reddit/tumblr and turning them into 2 minute stories on the local news than they were back in 2007.

Hopefully that clarifies a little.

royalan

No. I said Ledger's casting made more noise, for a more sustained period. You must have misunderstood me initially. I said maybe Affleck's noise will eventually reach Ledger's, but it's only been a couple days, and there's already significant pushback from the media saying "okay, wait a minute, this is a little overheated, let's really look at the dude's resume here."

I also said that neither the Ledger noise NOR Affleck's current noise level has shit on what happened when Keaton was cast and Burton was directing.

I argued "inflation" as a means to contextualize why you think things are so much worse for Affleck now than it was for Ledger/Keaton. that it seems Affleck is taking way more of a beating because media now is much more focused on taking "trending topics" from facebook/twitter/reddit/tumblr and turning them into 2 minute stories on the local news than they were back in 2007.

Hopefully that clarifies a little.

Well, we'll just have to see how this plays out then. You're arguing Ledger got more heat because it last all the way up to the premier of the movie. Affleck's casting was just announced, and already Bostonian Batman has become a meme. We'll see if the hate keeps up.

Ray Stevenson? Rhys-Meyers? People are mad at Affleck and then suggest terrible actors or B-listers because they sort of/kind of look the part in stills?

Loxley

Now that I've gotten over the initial shock, I'm still keeping an open mind about this. I just really, really hope that Aflleck gets to touch-up the script.

3N16MA

Banned
Now that I've gotten over the initial shock, I'm still keeping an open mind about this. I just really, really hope that Aflleck gets to touch-up the script.

Still not my first choice (I never even really thought about him) but if he gets involved and also directs the solo Batman films, I can warm up to it. I'm really interested now to see if he can pull it off.

At least it will be interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom