• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ben Affleck Is The New Batman

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still am down with Affleck as Bats. The only thing I worry about is his voice. The guy has kind of a higher pitch to his voice... I'm sure his Batman voice will be fine but Bruce Wayne? It's just not the voice I hear in my head.
Admittedly, on a list of concerns to have that is one of the very lowest so I'm not exactly sweating it. Hence why I'm not worried about his pick.

His having a say in the script is great news if its true. I felt like the only thing that really saved MoS from being like Snyder's other films was Nolan's influence which was fairly obvious, I thought. But hearing he was taking a much more backseat role for S/B scared the hell out of me. Affleck being involved actually makes me finally start to get a bit excited.

I would love if Kevin Smith got involved in the writing process through Affleck... but apparently he hasn't spoken to him in 3 years. I'd feel better about Kevin Smith and Ben Affleck than Zack Snyder and David Goyer though. Smith's Batman books are really good if nothing else.

Also, I really hope we get a gray and black Batsuit finally. I feel like with Snyder at the helm we will... but if he does I hope to god that he avoids taking cues from those horrible Arkham Asylum game designs.

ReiGun

I hope we get a gray batsuit if only so it fits in better with the Justice League cast. Batman in all black would stick out among all the red, blue, green, orange, etc.

3N16MA

Banned
Holy shit, those are some of the worst-reasoned arguments I've ever seen on the Internet. The dude is like if the fat nerd from the Simpsons got a job as a Fox News anchor.

Well he is right about Affleck not being a great actor. He has done some great work as a director and writer but nothing really stands out as an actor. He seems to be at his best when he is acting in films which he directs but he is still not great.

Bale's performance might have gotten worse as the TDK trilogy moved on but he is a better actor than Affleck. It's not like WB went out and got someone that is better than Bale.

I'm more looking forward to the announcement that Affleck will be directing the Batman solo films. I think this is the chance to see Affleck at his best in the role of Wayne/Batman and not at the mercy of Snyder/Goyer (no matter how much they say he is involved). I would have to think WB gave him the part so that they can lock him up in the directors role.

Burt

Well he is right about Affleck not being a great actor. He has done some great work as a director and writer but nothing really stands out as an actor. He seems to be at his best when he is acting in films which he directs but he is still not great.

Bale's performance might have gotten worse as the TDK trilogy moved on but he is a better actor than Affleck. It's not like WB went out and got someone that is better than Bale.

I'm more looking forward to the announcement that Affleck will be directing the Batman solo films. I think this is the chance to see Affleck at his best in the role of Wayne/Batman and not at the mercy of Snyder/Goyer (no matter how much they say he is involved). I would have to think WB gave him the part so that they can lock him up in the directors role.
I guess I'm an Affleck apologist nowadays. I think that between The Town and Argo he's proven that he's well beyond his early days. Sure, he's not spectacular, but it's not absurd to think that he could at least match Bale's performance. A modern Batman role is wildly different than anything he's ever done (using Daredevil against him is a damn fallacy considering the nature of comic movies at the time, the director, that script, etc.), so I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. At bare minimum I think we can trust him to really throw himself into the role, and with his recent track record that's hope enough for me.

Jarmel

Banned

Even if he doesn't do a good job, as long as he inputs on the script and directing, the movie might still turn out pretty decently. The biggest problem is Goyer.

Vitter.

I respect and like him, he reinvented himself in a great way, still, even though he could look like the batman from the Arkham games, I need him to prove that he can be a great or even good Batman and be Bruce Wayne without me thinking that is Ben Affleck in a suit.

Im thinking about how and why he agreed to put himself in this position once more, it brings hopes on story and tone they are after, this guy can do whatever he pleases right now, why would he do this if it looked like shit?, money?, popularity? don´t think he needs it.

Nameless

Rather see Affleck direct at this point, but I really dislike Batman as a character so I approve of an unlikable actor playing him.

3N16MA

Banned
I guess I'm an Affleck apologist nowadays. I think that between The Town and Argo he's proven that he's well beyond his early days. Sure, he's not spectacular, but it's not absurd to think that he could at least match Bale's performance. A modern Batman role is wildly different than anything he's ever done (using Daredevil against him is a damn fallacy considering the nature of comic movies at the time, the director, that script, etc.), so I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. At bare minimum I think we can trust him to really throw himself into the role, and with his recent track record that's hope enough for me.

Well he directed The Town and Argo which ties in with my point that he is at his best as an actor when he is the director and writes.

Burt

I'm not really into comics so I don't have that much exposure to Batman mythos outside of tangential nerd-knowledge, cartoons, and the movies, but is there any depiction of Batman that has him enjoying what he does more, both as Bruce Wayne and Batman? Even if it's out of the question to portray a Batman that enjoys his work more, I think I've seen enough of a Bruce Wayne that's a complete facade. Not saying that I want to see a smug asshole, but I think it would be interesting to see him embrace both aspects of his life instead of feeling burdened by them.

I'm not really into comics so I don't have that much exposure to Batman mythos outside of tangential nerd-knowledge, cartoons, and the movies, but is there any depiction of Batman that has him enjoying what he does more, both as Bruce Wayne and Batman? Even if it's out of the question to portray a Batman that enjoys his work more, I think I've seen enough of a Bruce Wayne that's a complete facade. Not saying that I want to see a smug asshole, but I think it would be interesting to see him embrace both aspects of his life instead of feeling burdened by them.

I would say he enjoyed being both up until the mid-80s when Frank Miller reinterpreted him as an insane sociopath driven only be the need to be Batman. Before that he was a pretty well adjusted guy who was deeply driven by his parents death to make a difference in the world.

Blader

Adam West seemed to be having a lot of fun

ReiGun

Typically the lighter Batman of the 60's (think Adam West) was known for this. During the Silver Age of Comics (the period of the mid 50s to the 70's), Batman was less "tortured Dark Knight" and more "swashbuckling Caped Crusader" who went on all kinds of weird adventures. This version has most or less died since then, and gloomy, grim dark psycho Batman rules the roost. Though, DC did do a throw back to happier Batman with "The Brave and the Bold."

Typically the lighter Batman of the 60's (think Adam West) was known for this. During the Silver Age of Comics (the period of the mid 50s to the 70's), Batman was less "tortured Dark Knight" and more "swashbuckling Caped Crusader" who went on all kinds of weird adventures. This version has most or less died since then, and gloomy, grim dark psycho Batman rules the roost. Though, DC did do a throw back to happier Batman with "The Brave and the Bold."

grant morrison sort of tried to bring that batman back too

I always like the little moments where Batman gets to be human. Especially his interactions with Gordon. That's probably why it's an instant turn-off to me whenever Gordon is portrayed as a pointless side character...
jDvBNs7.png

an idiot...
pp95QPd.jpg

or worse, actually having Batman not think anything of him.
[Can't remember the comic where Batman shrugs off Gordon as a "fool"]

I always like the little moments where Batman gets to be human. Especially his interactions with Gordon. That's probably why it's an instant turn-off to me whenever Gordon is portrayed as a pointless side character...
jDvBNs7.png

an idiot...
pp95QPd.jpg

or worse, actually having Batman not think anything of him.
[Can't remember the comic where Batman shrugs off Gordon as a "fool"]

Gordon being a nonentity in the Burton movies was so strange to me. Then again, those movies have a lot of weird omissions, like the fact that they don't mention Wayne Enterprises, what Bruce's parents did, or where he got his fortune at all.

Burt

I don't know if this has been posted yet, but I got it off Filmdrunk (not even sure if that's the original source) and it was just too delicious to not share:
Southie-Batman-batcave.jpg

2 years from now...

*After giving a stellar performance as the new Batman that perfectly marries the various interpretations of the character resulting in the definitive version of The Dark Knight, Ben Affleck is seen running out of the movie premiere*

Zack Snyder: BEN! BEN! Why is he running Internet?

The Internet: Because he's the Batman we deserve, but not the one we need right now. So we'll bitch and moan about him, write internet petitions, youtube lists and other forms of pathetic abuse. Because he can take it. Because he's not Idris Elba or John Hamm or Micheal Fassbender. He's a good actor, a great director. A true Daredevil!

nullref

Even if he doesn't do a good job, as long as he inputs on the script and directing, the movie might still turn out pretty decently. The biggest problem is Goyer.

Yeah, Goyer is a hack whose career seems to be built on doing pastiche of things he read in comic books.

I must admit though; I kinda agree with him about the "George Clooney" argument and "not having the gravitas" to play Batman.... :/

The Nolan films (and Man of Steel, to its detriment) were already gravitas overload. I think they should go in a different direction with this Batman. He needs a certain level of intensity at times, of course, but I'd enjoy a Batman that has a sly sense of humour, is more at ease with himself, and maybe has a little fun doing what he does.

Yeah, Goyer is a hack whose career seems to be built on doing pastiche of things he read in comic books.

The Nolan films (and Man of Steel, to its detriment), were already gravitas overload. I think they should go in a different direction with this Batman. He needs a certain level of intensity at times, of course, but I'd enjoy a Batman that has a sly sense of humor, is more at ease with himself, and maybe has a little fun doing what he does.

Good point. I want a smug experienced Batman who is at peace with who he is and always exudes confidence. No WHERE'S THE TRIGGAH!!! but a measured amount of menace. More Heisenberg less Jack Bauer. This guy should always be in control and one step ahead. Also, enjoy being Bruce Wayne and enjoying the partying but his real love should always be breaking fingers of thugs.

Batman is the story of a movie monster we all root for. He should be portrayed much like Bela Lugosi's Dracula. Except he breaks fingers.

NYR94

Gordon being a nonentity in the Burton movies was so strange to me. Then again, those movies have a lot of weird omissions, like the fact that they don't mention Wayne Enterprises, what Bruce's parents did, or where he got his fortune at all.

Watching the Burton movies you got the feeling that Bruce Wayne did nothing but sit in his study all day and night in Wayne Manor and wait for the bat signal to go on.

nullref

Batman is the story of a movie monster we all root for. He should be portrayed much like Bela Lugosi's Dracula. Except he breaks fingers.

I'm mostly just thinking of taking him a few steps closer to older adventure heroes like Zorro or Sherlock Holmes. (More like '70s Batman, I guess? I haven't read any of those in a while.)

Watching the Burton movies you got the feeling that Bruce Wayne did nothing but sit in his study all day and night in Wayne Manor and wait for the bat signal to go on.

He was portrayed much more as a recluse in Batman 1989 than a playboy man about town. Knox and Vicki Vale, two newspaper reporters, didn't even know what he looked like.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
In general, the 80s and 90s Batman movies focused heavily on Batman and less on Wayne. Nolan focused mostly on Wayne, and how being Batman affected him. IMHO.

For this movie, I'm perfectly fine with a Batman-focused theme snd Wayne more in the background.

He was portrayed much more as a recluse in Batman 1989 than a playboy man about town. Knox and Vicki Vale, two newspaper reporters, didn't even know what he looked like.

This was the Bruce Wayne characterization I was most familiar with as a kid. Eccentric billionaire who owned Wayne Enterprises but was never seen or heard for the most part.

Symphonic

I personally think Ben Affleck is a pretty dreadful actor. Great director, but geez, he's just blah.

I'm willing to be proven wrong, but I just....eh.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
The more outrage over this I hear, the further I want them to go with it.

I'm at the Jennifer Garner as Selina Kyle stage eight now.

Penguin

I just wanted to post in here so I can look back in 2 years and get my initial impressions.

I was more shocked at the random timing of the announcement, but it seems like it will be a fit

We've seen enough different versions of Batman on the big-screen that.. even if it goes south, they'll just reboot it.

I am curious to see what this means for Affleck and DC movies in general though.

Would be interesting to have the director of Justice League actually a part of the lead-up films.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom