• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bernie Sanders Is the Most Popular Politician in America, Poll Says

Status
Not open for further replies.

g11

People vote based on the way someone comes off more often than not. Not about policy so much as persona.

I don't know what thought is more terrifying, the idea that Mike Pence could be the second most liked politician in America or the possibility that it's because of his insipid personality.

That's a very interesting way to look at Bernie, who is only a Democrat because he knew he'd have no chance as an independent, and spent so much of his energy railing against the democratic party.

LOL why do you care about an identifier so much? Bernie is going around promoting the left more than any Democrat is. He was one of the biggest fighters against Trump, and one of the most sought after endorsements by Democrats right now. He stuck up for Joe Manchin, Obamacare, and hasn't given Republicans an inch. So why is he not on the Democrats side?

That's a very interesting way to look at Bernie, who is only a Democrat because he knew he'd have no chance as an independent, and spent so much of his energy railing against the democratic party and creating a toxic atmosphere towards it.

The way I see it, the only side Bernie is on is his own. For better or for worse.

The Democrat party had a favorable rating in the damn TEENS, so they already were mired in toxic corruption and stone-deafness. What do you gain by propping up a tired corrupt old horse?

UberTag

Mike Pence is 2nd? How? He literally does nothing.
Given the scores, apparently the incompetent man baby prez himself is the 3rd most popular (at just one approval point less than Pence).
So read into this poll what you will.

If she earned it, she'd be in jail. Also, you do realise that wiping those hard drives was standard government procedure... right?

inb4 "lock her up"

The FBI investigation ended because emails were forensically destroyed before the FBI could do anything, and they could not link her at that point to show intent. She wasn't cleared because she was some sort of paragon of integrity. Quite the opposite.

These threads are always the worst. I prefer Bernie to every candidate that ran in 2016. He has the sauce. Poor media coverage was a factor in denying him a primary win. Denial of media coverage was a tactic used against Bernie by the DNC. What is arguable about that?

We all agree negative media coverage by Russian actors played a role in Hillary not winning the presidency, yet the DNC using its influence against the Sanders campaign is unfathomable? What kind of bullshit hypocrisy is that?

I would even go out on a limb and say that some, if not most, of those BernieBros weren't even real Sanders supporters. It doesn't make sense for his real supporters to side with Trump over Hillary when push came to shove. You always go with the lesser of two evils, thats just plain common sense.

Not

Banned
We are fucking doomed in 2020.

I have this sinking feeling too. I just know if Harris or someone else gets the Dem nom over Sanders some folks are going to very reasonably and rationally and justifiably sit this out AGAIN.

And then we're quadruple fucked. It's a matter of time before Trump keeps finding more and more loopholes before anyone can get in there to shut his dumb Nazi ass down and he ends up actually delaying the 2024 election or something.

Yes. It's possible. Trump would be a wholeheartedly fascist ruler in almost any other country. Fucko is thin-skinned and delusional. He'd go WILD.

Fucking vote for whoever the fucking Dem candidate is in 2020 you jackholes. Suck it up and do it. "Take a stand" whenever our democracy ISN'T in jeopardy.

No you did. The point wasn't the brand. He's fighting for the party, which are people. Instead of erasing the rest of my quote, you can...you know, read it.

Democrats should be on fire that they have the most popular politician in the country on their side.

Come again?

The FBI investigation ended because emails were forensically destroyed before the FBI could do anything, and they could not link her at that point to show intent. She wasn't cleared because she was some sort of paragon of integrity. Quite the opposite.

So the investigation that cleared her of criminal guilt only cleared her because she was criminally guilty. Got it.

I don't know what thought is more terrifying, the idea that Mike Pence could be the second most liked politician in America or the possibility that it's because of his insipid personality.
Fortunately though it's bullshit and no way that's actually true and this result is because the only options were 12 random politicians:
http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=246924284

When those options don't even include the prior (and quite popular) President of the United States or his VP (among other notable exclusions) yeah, it just ain't a good question/source of info at all. Bad poll question that unfortunately sites pick up on, don't question at all, and turn into click bait.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
I like Bernie, but after Trump I am not in favor of a ideologue as President. I want a LBJ a pragmatic liberal with a mean streak who can get liberal legislation passed.

Just read the part after the bold, and you got your answer.

Uhhhh....

If Bernie feels he can do it, he should run again. He'll create a progressive administration, and put great people everywhere. I don't care that he'll be a raisin in human form. Ageism shouldn't be an acceptable thing.

I kind of dismissed this irrelevant section of your post because I failed to see how it was relevant. You asserting it's relevance does not make it so.

Uhhhh....

I kind of dismissed this irrelevant section of your post because I failed to see how it was relevant. You asserting it's relevance does not make it so.

No the part after the bold. Not the part you erased. I already answered your question, is what I'm getting at:

"The point wasn't the brand. He's fighting for the party, which are people."

This whole argument is pointless though. I think you just misunderstood what I said. I don't want to keep deliberating on it.

No the part after the bold. Not the part you erased. I already answered your question, is what I'm getting at:

"The point wasn't the brand. He's fighting for the party, which are people."

This whole argument is pointless though. I think you just misunderstood what I said. I don't want to keep deliberating on it.

I don't think I misunderstood anything. You and I have a completely different interpretation of Bernie's actions, which, to me at least, consistently seem to be self serving politically, and he has a history of throwing the democratic party under the bus when he isn't backed into a corner. If someone has a different reading of the situation it doesn't always mean that they failed to understand your point. It usually means they disagree with it.

I'm also not keen on turning this into a deep dive of "Why I'm Against Bernie", since that would get lengthy and overwhelmingly not worth either of our times, based historically on how such arguments have unfolded on Gaf. So let's just leave it at a friendly disagreement, shall we?

I like Bernie, but after Trump I am not in favor of a ideologue as President. I want a LBJ a pragmatic liberal with a mean streak who can get liberal legislation passed.

What is wrong with an FDR, who changed the nature of our government with lasting progressive policies that actually helped workers?

Tarydax

Banned
I have a hard time believing that Bernie is more popular than Obama or Biden. Why weren't they included when Hillary was?

What is wrong with an FDR, who changed the nature of our government with lasting progressive policies that actually helped workers?

Well, I know you don't give a shit about this part of history, but a lot of FDR's policies went through because it was promised that they wouldn't benefit racial minorities.

Hazmat

Are you honestly going to sit there and tell me that grass isn't clearly greener?

The entirely hypothetical grass in the world in which Sanders wins as viewed from this, very real world where Trump did? Of course. Do you understand the meaning of that phrase?

Again with this poll. The possible choices includes only 4 sitting Senators, 2 members of the House, and a grab bag of others (including those no longer in any sort of office). I would vote for Bernie in a heartbeat, but saying he is the most popular politician in America is disingenuous at best.

Well, I know you don't give a shit about this part of history, but a lot of FDR's policies went through because it was promised that they wouldn't benefit racial minorities.

Don't conflate progressive principles of supporting workers with baseline services and guarantees from government (versus the wealthy corporations getting all the goodies), with the racial tensions of the time.

Are you really saying that we can't have a progressive because white people don't want to help workers? or is it corporations and investors that like to have government tilted in their favor? would you at least be honest in identifying who stands in opposition to organized labor and grassroots movements?

btw, anyone who said "There's no way Trump can win the primaries" or "There's no way Trump can win the presidency" has waived all right to say what definitely would or wouldn't happen in pretty much any political scenario. I ain't keepin tabs, but ya'll know who you are.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Neither the op's title nor my post specified "during the 2016 election". These semantics fights are fucking boring

This is what you replied to.

Hillary was never the most popular even when she won the nomination and the popular vote, going by opinion polls.

It isn't semantics. Bringing up opinion polls from 2013 is literally useless in the conversation that is being had in this thread.

Not

Banned
Well we have to pick someone less popular and that won't get young voters exited. It's a winning strategy.

Young voters should be EXCITED for their country to not fucking turn into a journalist-hunting protest-condemning openly racist supremacist fascist state.

That's just my opinion though.

Anyone who follows a demagogue to the bitter end even if it fucks up their original goals is less than a sheep. They're a genuine snowflake.

digdug2k

The Democrat party had a favorable rating in the damn TEENS, so they already were mired in toxic corruption and stone-deafness. What do you gain by propping up a tired corrupt old horse?
Where are you getting that number from? HuffingtonPosts's charts have them at around 40% approval (50% disapproval). It was higher last year during the election though. (I won't even bother about asking about the rest of your assertions in that post). Sometimes people advertise the difference between those two, which is -10 I guess (Sanders is +22, which is insane).

I was geniunely surprised to see people so mad at the Democratic party all the sudden in 2016. Like, I thought everyone was on board. We're moving forward on healthcare. Finally actually taking on systemic racism. Fighting against big money. Helping kids pay for college. Still bombing people, which sucks, but we can't have everything. Suddenly the election rolls around and everyone starts screaming "You're corrupt! You love big money. You hate black people." I think the entire party was kinda shocked. I was at least. I guess we're deaf or something, but I never really heard anyone telling Obama he was corrupt, racist scumm, and the platform really hadn't changed... at all from his.

I agree that we're doomed at this point. I have no hope left for the Democratic party. They're doomed. The GOP could run a bag of dicks and shit in 2020 and still win.

It is probably true regardless of whether or not people want to believe the poll or not.

But it would be nice if we could try and understand why that is and also improve where he went wrong/ off track.

Mike Pence being second makes sense. Generally at this point in time, the President isn't just the most popular politician in the country but the most popular person. But with Trump that obviously isn't the case. Mike Pence saying and doing nothing has been enough for him to keep his numbers reasonably high.

It is probably true regardless of whether or not people want to believe the poll or not.

But it would be nice if we could try and understand why that is and also improve where he went wrong/ off track.

"We should take this as true and it's our job to understand why it is emphatically true no matter how you disagree with it" isn't a convincing line of argument.

"We should take this as true and it's our job to understand why it is emphatically true no matter how you disagree with it" isn't a convincing line of argument.

like, literally every poll on Sanders' favorability since at least December has shown extremely similar numbers, but okay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom