• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bernie Sanders Is the Most Popular Politician in America, Poll Says

Status
Not open for further replies.
tumblr_o4mljvA3Yg1qggc9qo2_500.gif

His popularity transcends humanity

Hope he runs in 2020

Y'all need to reign that shit in.

"We should take this as true and it's our job to understand why it is emphatically true no matter how you disagree with it" isn't a convincing line of argument.
If people disagree with it then they can post alternative polls that disprove it if they don't like this ones method instead of pointless bickering

Spy

I will never understand the GAF hate for Bernie when this website is as left-leaning as you can get and Hillary is more of a moderate.

It is probably true regardless of whether or not people want to believe the poll or not.

But it would be nice if we could try and understand why that is and also improve where he went wrong/ off track.

Mike Pence being second makes sense. Generally at this point in time, the President isn't just the most popular politician in the country but the most popular person. But with Trump that obviously isn't the case. Mike Pence saying and doing nothing has been enough for him to keep his numbers reasonably high.
From your talk of whether people want to believe the poll or not, I assume you're already familiar with its flaws. If this is mistaken see:
http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=246924284

That said, assuming you are indeed familiar with it, then "probably true"? Would sure be nice if there was a way to actually know though... Like, say, making sure all potential popular choices, like say Barack Obama, Joe Biden, Bill Clinton, etc, were all included instead of deliberately excluding them. Since we don't, useless. That ain't the way data or facts works. You can't claim something is "probably" true or not when there are no facts to support it either way.

Why WOULD you, or anyone, believe such a shoddily constructed poll, anyway? Would you believe a poll that found that Trump was "the most popular politician in the country" that had only himself and Pence as options? Why is this any different?

Before talking about why this is, as you put it, perhaps we should make sure if it's even the case to begin with.

I will never understand the GAF hate for Bernie when this website is as left-leaning as you can get.

because it's not actually as left-leaning as you can get (though a very large percentage of the hate for him, not just here but in various other bubbles, has little to nothing to do with ideology per se)

Guys

Just vote D next time around as long as it's not Hitler 2. Doesn't really matter who.

Thanks,
The rest of the world who ain't here for this shit

People have literally done that in this thread but okay.
No, they haven't.

You have one poll from 4 years ago.
I will never understand the GAF hate for Bernie when this website is as left-leaning as you can get and Hillary is more of a moderate.
Its displacement. Since he went after her and the DNC, he's to blame for her exploited flaws, controversy and Trump's win. I get it, but its wrong.

I'll tell you one thing, the DNC needs to change it's primary rules. I know it sucks and even undemocratic but states like Texas, Louisana, Mississippi etc. should not be considered the same in deciding who the Dem nominee is as blue/swing states. States need to be weighted based on how much they voted Dem in previous general election. Hell maybe even weigh the swing states the most.

No, they haven't.

You have one poll from 4 years ago.
And this:

This poll ain't shit and says ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about how popular Sanders is or isn't because of how shoddily constructed that is. Unless you think a poll that would conclude that Trump is the most popular politician in the country that only included him and Pence as options would also be a good survey question/source of data, then why would you think this is or that this means anything at all? I don't get it.

There's nothing to disprove or Ned counter-polls for or anything since there isn't any proof to begin with. That isn't how burden of proof works.

And this:

This poll ain't shit and says ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about how popular Sanders is or isn't because of how shoddily constructed that is. Unless you think a poll that would conclude that Trump is the most popular politician in the country that only included him and Pence as options would also be a good survey question/source of data, then why would you think this is or that this means anything at all? I don't get it.

There's nothing to disprove or Ned counter-polls for or anything since there isn't any proof to begin with. That isn't how burden of proof works.

Can you point to a single poll since, let's say December of last year, that shows significantly different favorability numbers for Sanders? I'm betting you can't.

I'll tell you one thing, the DNC needs to change it's primary rules. I know it sucks and even undemocratic but states like Texas, Louisana, Mississippi etc. should not be considered the same in deciding who the Dem nominee is as blue/swing states. States need to be weighted based on how much they voted Dem in previous general election. Hell maybe even weigh the swing states the most.
What kind of fucking anti-democratic nonsense is this? People's votes should count more/less based on where they live? The electoral college is bad enough as it is, we don't need to double down on it! Y'know, the whole reason Trump is in the White House in the first place despite LOSING the popular vote. Seriously, what is this...?

GAF's hatred of Bernie is puzzling to me.

It's not the mythical GAF, it's core Hillary supporters that thought(like the DNC) that if they pushed Hillary into the general that "Dems" would fall in line. The 1 in 10 Bernie supporters voting for Trump are nothing compared to the number of Dems that sat out the election due to apathy or anger.

digdug2k

Do you mean hate, or just not support? Are those the same things?

I think the lack of support is just people who were excited about Hillary and had been since her run in 2008. I know a lot of people who came out of that 2008 primary thinking "I'm so glad we have two great candidates. 8 years of this guy, then 8 years of her. Its easy!" He kinda threw a wrench in that i.e. I think it probably would have been easier if he decided to run a "you're all corrupt and evil" campaign against the DNC this year. I think he DID run it this year because he also thought she was such a shoe-in it wouldn't hurt her that much if he did.

jtb

Banned
Good. Bernie will be a valuable asset for the Dems in 2018, particularly in more "economically anxious" districts.

This is a fucking terrible, borderline racist idea that would only accomplish disenfranchising wide swaths of key voting blocs of the Democratic party. Namely: minorities.

Even dumb, poorly implemented stuff like closed primaries accomplish this goal better than kicking out black people from the party.

My wish list is: ban all caucuses, no goddamn superdelegates, closed primaries (but you must be able to register same day), all 50 states primary on the same day.

And this:

Where are the counter polls showing that he isn't the most popular, then? If you have a better-conducted poll, showing a different result, lets see it.

This is an admittedly imperfect validation that Bernie's popularity would have given him the win, and that seems to rub people the wrong way. Hell, this isn't even the first poll saying this.

What kind of fucking anti-democratic nonsense is this? People's votes should count more/less based on where they live? The electoral college is bad enough as it is, we don't need to double down on it! Y'know, the whole reason Trump is in the White House in the first place despite LOSING the popular vote. Seriously, what is this...?

This is not the vote for president this is the vote for a party nominee. It can be as democratic or undemocratic as they like. Before 1968 people didn't even vote for the nominee, they were just chosen by the party.

"Lol GAF hates Bernie"

No. Not really. Dislike his solution to problems sure.

We mostly are exhausted of y'all who won't shut the hell up about this for five minutes and accept he lost.

I went to Bernie's bakery in Brattleboro Vermont and tried to buy a bear claw and a cannoli, but I was a dime short, but Bernie let me work it off by washing dishes in the kitchen. He was a fair employer.

Yet most are fans of the same systems that are in place in European countries. Hmm...

And Bernie Sanders, the man who spent the vast majority of the primary antagonizing the party he would have had to work with if he was president, was the one who was going to magically uproot all the entrenched systems in place in the US and transplant them with something entirely new and most definitely better? This is exactly the utopian bullshit I was talking about!

jtb

Banned
This is not the vote for president this is the vote for a party nominee. It can be as democratic or undemocratic as they like. Before 1968 people didn't even vote for the nominee, they were just chosen by the party.

That's not a good thing.

Not

Banned
I don't hate Bernie. I hate Bernie supporters who didn't vote against Trump out of spite.

In fact, I love Bernie. He was our best choice for President. Doesn't mean I'm going to listen to that ever-present urge in every dude to blame the woman in the scenario over everyone else.

The fucking irony in play here.

I don't see how its ironic. After November 8th, the people who supported Hillary accepted that while there were issues outside her control (unfair media coverage, Russia) but she and her campaign made serious miscalculations in strategy that cost them the white house.

Meanwhile the "DNC rigged the primary/Bernie was a perfect saint" shit is still continuing.

"Lol GAF hates Bernie"

No. Not really. Dislike his solution to problems sure.

We mostly are exhausted of y'all who won't shut the hell up about this for five minutes and accept he lost.
Is this serious?

We've been talking about how Hillary, more likely than not, lost because of Russian interference for months now, but this is exhausting? This bias is unbecoming.
Doesn't mean I'm going to listen to that ever-present urge in every dude to blame the woman in the scenario over everyone else.
I don't think anyone blames Hillary, just the committee.

The fucking irony in play here.

This is the first time I've posted in a "The 2016 democratic primary round 15" thread in ages. Because it's exhausting.

Hilary lost, for a myriad of reasons and confluence of factors. Bernie lost, for a myriad of reasons and a confluence of factors.

Let. It. Fucking. Go.

Is this serious?

We've been talking about how Hillary more, likely than not, lost because of Russian interference for months now, but this is exhausting. This bias is unbecoming.

There's a clear contingent on this website determined to blame Hilary Clinton and whitewash the primary and the follies at work with his campaign TODAY.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1423432

That's not a good thing.

Well looking at Dems before 1968 and after..... I'm not saying to go back to that though. But there clearly needs to be some sort of compromise because letting people who won't decide your president, decide your candidate, is not a very good system either. It's not good for the party or the country.

Edit: The real solution here is to abolish the electoral college and this fixes itself. But until that happens....

I don't see how its ironic. After November 8th, the people who supported Hillary accepted that while there were issues outside her control (unfair media coverage, Russia) but she and her campaign made serious miscalculations in strategy that cost them the white house.

Meanwhile the "DNC rigged the primary/Bernie was a perfect saint" shit is still continuing.

Yeah, I wish. Some have acknowledged the bolded, but there are still far, far too many HRC apologists seeking to pin the election outcome entirely on factors outside her control.

I will agree that the rigged primary shit is dumb and people should cut that out, though. The DNC was clearly biased towards Clinton, but nothing they did would have been enough to change the outcome.

An online survey, hmm? Sounds legit. I'm gonna look into the results of this study a little further, just for fun.

Hmm. More people than not polled in this study as moderate and conservative than liberal. Also, 68% of the polled voters were white. 43% of voters in this approved of Trump. Approval on his specific policies seems to average out at about 50%... I don't think this study should be taken as gospel for what works for the left.

Also looking at the polling, I found this error which made me giggle. What even was the question supposed to be here?

Whites are like 65% of the population in the US. The demo is fine.

Multiple polls confirm he is the most popular politician. You may want to fight reality, perhaps?

And damn a lot of liberal salt in this thread. 2020 cant come soon enough.

And Bernie Sanders, the man who spent the vast majority of the primary antagonizing the party he would have had to work with if he was president, was the one who was going to magically uproot all the entrenched systems in place in the US and transplant them with something entirely new and most definitely better? This is exactly the utopian bullshit I was talking about!

Frankly, this is right wing brainwashing at work. Thanks for playing into their hands. You're right shit won't ever change if everyone had this attitude.

Other

Because a lot of us aren't big fans of utopian bullshit

Dudes policies were lukewarm at best yankee, in most other countries they'd be unremarkable or the status quo. I'm sorry you're confused because they're just so damn hot compared to the shit you normally get served but nothing he supported was really out there. Sad thing about Bernie was that he was proposing might have been radical stuff for Americans but compared to what other countries have or want to do it's just catch up.

Draper

What you're saying is just not true. Even less on Neogaf. You only have to look at the daily threads remarking on the topic.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Yeah, I wish. Some have acknowledged the bolded, but there are still far, far too many HRC apologists seeking to pin the election outcome entirely on factors outside her control.

Who?

Seriously, Who?

What you're saying is just not true. Even less on Neogaf. You only have to look at the daily threads remarking on the topic.

You will be giving some examples too I suppose?

The bigger story here is that 53% of the people said they approved of the way Trump has handled the Economy so far...

HE HASN'T FUCKING DONE ANYTHING!/@$>

Also that 56% of people said Congress should vote against raising the debt ceiling which is just about the craziest thing I've ever heard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom