• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Berserk Musou (PS4/PC/Vita in the West) has first images shared by store flyer, info

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Despite the translated wording, I definitely take it to mean that "up to Black Swordsman arc" means means "including Black Swordsman arc."

As for the picture of the berserker armor, either my memory of the timeline is fuzzy but I think that comes way later. Attack on Titan musou had a couple extra side missions with that jumped around in continuity, so it could be the same here.

I'm not sure it's the Berserker armor, looks like his blacks swordsman armor but it's so damn blurry I can't tell.

The game is out September 21st in Japan.

http://gematsu.com/2016/06/koei-tecmos-berserk-launches-september-21-japan

Images (store flyer, not a magazine):
berserk-musou-dated-jkuk87.jpg

That looks like the Berserker armour in the bottom left picture-in-picture image.

Cannot wait for this.

Aikidoka

What's the typical wait for localizations for musou games? Is this going to be synchronized at all with the new anime?
Hopefully they are less perverted about the rape and stuff in the game.

Keihart

I won't complain, i just hope its good. It's been forever since the last time there was a game, and now we get an anime, game and a new comic volume soon?
GO! GO! Berserk!

HStallion

Now just imagine if Sony Santa Monica made w AAA Berserk game exclusive to the PS4 the was on par with the latest God of War!

I won't complain, i just hope its good. It's been forever since the las time there was a game, and now we get anime, game and a new volume soon?
GO! GO! Berserk!

New chapter this week.

ezekial45

Banned
What's the typical wait for localizations for musou games? Is this going to be synchronized at all with the new anime?

Not that long, usually about three months. It could be worse, like it not coming here at all. Which happened for the last Berserk game on PS2.

Anyway, I'm really down for this. I'm an admirer of the Berserk series, and I'd love to see it get some more love on the videogame front.

Is the series still going strong? I know it released a few movies recently, but is the main series still on-going?

raven777

I have read like 5 different interviews with the producer, and they are mostly covering same thing.
Every single interview said they are covering Golden age. Some interviews went in more specific saying it is upto black swordsman. Also in another interview producer said they are covering upto contents that will be in the new anime that is starting in July. Another interview said it will also cover stuff after Guts become black swordsman(?).

CHC

If they don't go full on in terms of gore they might as well pack it up now. I'm not some gore loving maniac or anything when it comes to other titles, but if you've read the books then the idea of Dragonslayer just making white slashes on impact or drawing a puny little spurt of blood is pretty pathetic.

Tohsaka

There won't even be any bare breasts shown, since Japan's ratings board doesn't allow that for console/handheld games. I expect it to be much less graphic than the manga/anime.

If they don't go full on in terms of gore they might as well pack it up now. I'm not some gore loving maniac or anything when it comes to other titles, but if you've read the books then the idea of Dragonslayer just making white slashes on impact or drawing a puny little spurt of blood is pretty pathetic.

the game is intended for wider appeal and Japan is more for censorship when it comes to violence. Unless they're opting for an M rating I don't expect much.

213372bu

Banned
So why is Falconia Griffith and Berserker armour Guts on that flyer?

Musou costumes where they charge people for costumes.

People will gladly fork over $$$ to see their favorite characters in a cool outfit.

Just look how much DLC support musous get.

Aikidoka

Not that long, usually about three months. It could be worse, like it not coming here at all. Which happened for the last Berserk game on PS2.

Anyway, I'm really down for this. I'm an admirer of the Berserk series, and I'd love to see it get some more love on the videogame front.

Is the series still going strong? I know it released a few movies recently, but is the main series still on-going?

It has not been going strong at all. But, the manga is supposed to be getting like 50 page blow out pretty soon ( hopefully new chapters and not just behind-the-scenes stuff). A new anime is going to be releasing that starts off at the Eclipse I believe. Hopefully this resurgence has some momentum.

So why is Falconia Griffith and Berserker armour Guts on that flyer?

Where exactly does the Black Swordsman arc end? When he gets the Berserker armor? The existence of the Dragonslayer should guarantee going at least that far.

HStallion

It has not been going strong at all. But, the manga is supposed to be getting like 50 page blow out pretty soon ( hopefully new chapters and not just behind-the-scenes stuff). A new anime is going to be releasing that starts off at the Eclipse I believe. Hopefully this resurgence has some momentum.

Where exactly does the Black Swordsman arc end? When he gets the Berserker armor? The existence of the Dragonslayer should guarantee going at least that far.

Check my post above yours as to the status of the manga and the BS arc is over once he goes after Casca so nowhere near Guts getting the Berserk Armor.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
You know, despite knowing about Berserk for a super long ass time, i've never been an actual fan of the property, and haven't read the manga nor watched the anime.

It seemed too shock value oriented at first glance(all i know is that there is a lot of blood, guts and rape, featuring various creatures) to decide to finally put in time to finally read it all, but i've always respected its dedicated fanbase.

I haven't played a Berserk game since Guts Rage on Dreamcast like 15+ years ago, perhaps this game will get me interested enough with the series to finally see what the fuss is about?

HStallion

You know, despite knowing about Berserk for a super long ass time, i've never been an actual fan of the property, and haven't read the manga nor watched the anime.

It seemed too shock value oriented at first glance(all i know is that there is a lot of blood, guts and rape, featuring various creatures) to decide to finally put in time to finally read it all, but i've always respected its dedicated fanbase.

I haven't played a Berserk game since Guts Rage on Dreamcast like 15+ years ago, perhaps this game will get me interested enough with the series to finally see what the fuss is about?

Who knows but it's not an easy series to distill into game form . There are several anime adaptations at this point as well if you wanted to jump in that way.

TreIII

Everyone likes the Golden Age arc. But it's time for something new.

The idea that they mention "new scenes for the game" makes me hope that there will be original/what if scenarios like in Hokuto Musou.

Hey, as long as we're using Golden Age again, we might as well give the option for some characters to get the "happy ending" they'd never get in the manga!

Breads

Banned
My question is if Black Swordsman is before or after Lost Children arc.

Because I'm tired of getting hints of
Rosine but never actually seeing Gutts setting himself on fire as he fights a monster jet plane.

Unless they're counting the Conviction arc as Black Swordsman. But even then Guts doesn't get the Berserker armor until much much later than that.

I mean I'm not going to deny it has that, but you have an image of Saber from a property known to have edgy shit and are complaining over the above? lmao

Regardless, Berserk was always a dark fantasy in the same vein of masculinity as Conan. It isn't progressive, but it has been on circulation since well before the modern movement for it and nothing is stopping it from turning into that though. Well besides idol games.

The shock value is definitely a major part of the series, but it's not all it has going for it. There's really solid (and mostly tragic) storytelling throughout

Gotta love the two page spreads of dudes getting shredded with one swing though

Dahbomb

There's the Berserker armor in the images so this goes pretty far into the story canon. That's pretty good news right there, we have potential for some epic encounters.

Merc_

Guts' fighting style changing reminds me a lot of the PS2 Berserk game. I hope we get a special move set for when the Berserker armor takes over Guts like in the PS2 game.

Ridley327

While I'm sure that the promotional images weren't going to show the gore and dismemberment in the first place, I do wonder how far the Japanese version is willing to go, and if that impacts the western release one way or the other. It wouldn't be the first big manga license for Musou that had pretty striking differences on both sides of the Pacific, but I'm really interested to see how far things can go.

Aikidoka

Unless they're counting the Conviction arc as Black Swordsman. But even then Guts doesn't get the Berserker armor until much much later than that.

Oh ok. I started the manga where the anime left off. I didn't realize the first two episodes are actually supposed to be a complete arc.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I mean I'm not going to deny it has that, but you have an image of Saber from a property known to have edgy shit and are complaining over the above? lmao

Regardless, Berserk was always a dark fantasy in the same vein of masculinity as Conan. It isn't progressive, but it has been on circulation since well before the modern movement for it and nothing is stopping it from turning into that though. Well besides idol games.

I am not really complaining about it per se. I don't have a problem with works featuring those specific things i mentioned as you noted. I just never worked up the nerve to try and get into Berserk specifically because my first reaction when first seeing it was that it was too oppressive a setting, so i never tried to afterward.

But in recent years i've seen a big resurgence of the fanbase, and with the new anime projects and stuff having popped up, i figure it might be time, this game kinda pushes that thought along.

The shock value is definitely a major part of the series, but it's not all it has going for it. There's really solid (and mostly tragic) storytelling throughout

Gotta love the two page spreads of dudes getting shredded with one swing though

Good to know, good to know. Another thing that had me holding off was that i know it still isn't done because of the author's very strange schedule...

Top Bottom