• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Berserk Musou (PS4/PC/Vita in the West) has first images shared by store flyer, info

I am not really complaining about it per se. I don't have a problem with works featuring those specific things i mentioned as you noted. I just never worked up the nerve to try and get into Berserk specifically because my first reaction when first seeing it was that it was too oppressive a setting, so i never tried to afterward.

But in recent years i've seen a big resurgence of the fanbase, and with the new anime projects and stuff having popped up, i figure it might be time, this game kinda pushes that thought along.

Good to know, good to know. Another thing that had me holding off was that i know it still isn't done because of the author's very strange schedule...

The best way to experience it if you're looking to dip your fingers in is probably the movies. Watch the first, if you want to see more then do so. At worst you're done in 1.5/2 hours and not bother with the franchise. From there if you're really interested I'd say read the manga, it's visually gorgeous an the absolute best way to experience Berserk.

If not you can either continue the films and move on to the new anime, or watch the old anime.

Playing the game as your first introduction might not be the best option assuming they go further than the anime will go, so you'd see very watered down events that you won't get the full context of. Regardless it's nice to see you're at least considering giving it a chance.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
There's the Berserker armor in the images so this goes pretty far into the story canon. That's pretty good news right there, we have potential for some epic encounters.

Oh shit you are right breh, hype restored.

Berserker Guts better move like an insane storm of death tho.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
The best way to experience it if you're looking to dip your fingers in is probably the movies. Watch the first, if you want to see more then do so. At worst you're done in 1.5/2 hours and not bother with the franchise. From there if you're really interested I'd say read the manga, it's visually gorgeous an the absolute best way to experience Berserk.

If not you can either continue the films and move on to the new anime, or watch the old anime.

Playing the game as your first introduction might not be the best option assuming they go further than the anime will go, so you'd see very watered down events that you won't get the full context of. Regardless it's nice to see you're at least considering giving it a chance.

I'll check out the films first at some point due to your recommendation, and then of course the source material. I thought the manga would be the best first impression, but i guess the first movie summarizes the initial events properly enough?

I'll check out the films first at some point due to your recommendation, and then of course the source material. I thought the manga would be the best first impression, but i guess the first movie summarizes the initial events properly enough?
Oh if you're willing to read the Manga first, then do that instead. Movie isn't better and has CG which can be off putting for many. I say it's a nice introduction because I got 3 friends into berserk with these "easily digestible" films. The 3 films cover the somewhat watered down events of the Golden age arc and set up black swordsman and beyond which is what the Anime will do.

But the Manga is known to be one of the best drawn most visually gorgeous Manga there are, therefore the best way to go with if you can go that route.

Tizoc

Are Koei's PC Musou ports usually okay, or is PS4 the way to go?
go for ps4 ver

I am not really complaining about it per se. I don't have a problem with works featuring those specific things i mentioned as you noted. I just never worked up the nerve to try and get into Berserk specifically because my first reaction when first seeing it was that it was too oppressive a setting, so i never tried to afterward.

But in recent years i've seen a big resurgence of the fanbase, and with the new anime projects and stuff having popped up, i figure it might be time, this game kinda pushes that thought along.

Good to know, good to know. Another thing that had me holding off was that i know it still isn't done because of the author's very strange schedule...
Read the manga, fam
Just read the manga. You got months til u can play the game
Just note that the manga starts getting good from vol 2/3 onwards

Berserk '97 and then you are done.

But start with that even if you want to keep going. Movies cover the same material, and the new series takes place after, I think.

Golden Age again....
25+ year old ongoing saga...but the same arc gets trotted out over and over.

At least Dragon Ball milked all it's arcs evenly over 30 years of repeated licensing deals.

Why does everyone know what a "musou" is? What on earth is a Musou?

The Japanese name/branding for Dynasty Warriors.

Teeth

Why does everyone know what a "musou" is? What on earth is a Musou?

They are the Dynasty Warriors games (and games in that style) in the West.

That said, I'm fairly interested in this.

I better be able to hack some limbs with Casca.

Golden Age again....
25+ year old ongoing saga...but the same arc gets trotted out over and over.

At least Dragon Ball milked all it's arcs evenly over 30 years of repeated licensing deals

The PS2 Game got up to the Berserker Armor arc and the DC game was an original story I think.

People are surprised that it's Golden Age? Assuming this sells well, they would be stupid not to start from the beginning which is a few volumes of Black Swordsman and Golden Age, otherwise they would have no source material left for the sequels.

Tizoc

People are surprised that it's Golden Age? Assuming this sells well, they would be stupid not to start from the beginning which is a few volumes of Black Swordsman and Golden Age, otherwise they would have no source material left for the sequels.
Didnt stop them from making one piece musou 2
I personally would rather not having sequels but this is omega force snd they live on that :p

deim0s

Haven't really played a Musou. Is there plenty of depth to them?

It's simple and easy to get into. Just drop in, beat-up hundreds of mooks, do a super, repeat.

When you get tired of it, play a different game, then load it back.

Plus coop is a blast with these games.

The reason Golden Age gets revisited is because of the inconsistent release of the manga. The creator basically goes on vacation whenever he wants to.

This is means, a lot of people stop following because of the many times the series went to sleep for a few months, sometimes years.

Golden Age is the only Arc that everyone surely knows.

tumblr_o8owkl6HP51r9s07oo1_540.jpg

Savage.

-----------

I'm super eager to see what they're come up with. I enjoyed the Hokuto Musou despite it's somewhat longwinded gameplay, but Berserk being my jam makes me hyped.

PlayAsia have a translated Famitsu interview about the game:

Koei announced a brand new "Warriors" game, but this time it is based around the famous gore-fest manga Berserk! Famitsu had a chance to sit down and have a talk with Koei Tecmo Games President, Hisashi Koinuma to talk more about the game. We translated the following interview below for your viewing pleasure.

Could you tell us why you decided to make a Warriors game using the Berserk manga?

Koinuma: Since the new Berserk anime is beginning in July, we thought we would create a game alongside the anime to really get the fans hyped up. From the early days I've read the Berserk manga and there are a lot of staff members including one of our directors that is a fan of the series so I just thought "Hey, we should try and make a Berserk game!".

Oh, and we also had a questionnaire printed on the December 3rd issue of Famitsu asking fans which IP would everyone like to see become a Musou game, in fact Berserk was on that list!

Re..really?

Koinuma: We already decided on the project prior to the questionnaire, lucky for us Berserk managed to rank in so we were relieved.

Everyone would agree that Guts and his gigantic sword would work well in a Warriors game environment. While we are on the subject, we only get to see Casca in the teaser trailer and so I want to ask how did you imagine the trailer?

Koinuma: It's exactly what I did with the Fist of the North Star Warriors teaser. We had a single scene where Yuria was falling and we decided to do the same concept with the Berserk teaser.

Wouldn't you say that the Teaser trailer was pretty sexy?

Koinuma: As everyone knows Berserk is both a very Gorey and erotic manga and so we want to reflect that in the game itself too.

Since it is a dark fantasy manga, we plan to go down the same road and give you a little taste of what is yet to come in game through the teaser. The scene were Casca is imprisoned had quite the impact to fans, same as the scene when Griffith changes, and because of this we decided to show the Casca scene as the original teaser.

Particularly rad tidbit:

What kind of person would really enjoy this game?

Koinuma: First and foremost, fans of Berserk will be the ones who will enjoy the game. During the game you'll be fighting humans as enemies then suddenly you'll be fighting Apostles, this is one of the major changes we wanted to make it more like a Berserk experience. We plan to implement a whole list of bosses such as Zodd or the Minotaur. There is a lot of Berserk stuffed in here to excite all those Berserk fans out there.

Rest of the interview here: http://www.play-asia.com/berserk-mu...en-age-famitsu-interview-translated/5f/747x13

The game is made so even people who are not familiar with Berserk can enjoy

Good.

I barely even know what Berserk is, but the spin-off musous are often really good. If this is anywhere near the quality of HW or PW, then I'm in.

Musous seem to have a stigma.

To be honest, I get why it does, but they really have improved over the years. Some reaching bretty good tier of combat.

kami_sama

Wait, it's also coming for PC?
I know there is a musou game in steam, but I think is the first to be announced at the same time.

Rymuth

Looks damn good. Very reminiscent of Holy Evil War on PS2.

I guess I expected a more stylized looking game like with what they did with Dragon Quest Heroes.

raven777

Cld1DzMVEAEuoNk.jpg:orig

8 page scoop on this week's famitsu. And the fact that official site launches this Thursday, means we will get some new stuff this week.

Musous seem to have a stigma.

To be honest, I get why it does, but they really have improved over the years. Some reaching bretty good tier of combat.

Indeed. The formula is super predictable, I swear I've played the same map across at least 4 different iterations and flavours and can do it with my eyes closed. It's a tough rhythm to enjoy especially when the repetition becomes so tedious.

I thought the One Piece Musou was very well done, captured the tone of the manga well (at least from what I've seen, I don't follow One Piece) and the gameplay felt a lot snappier over the regular formula. When these games keep things moving at a good pace without wallowing in unskippable dialogue, it can be great fun.

I would go in that order. Movies are a kind of rebelling of the 97 anime but still worth the time to watch both

97 anime, third movie, new anime

Thanks! :D

Haven't really played a Musou. Is there plenty of depth to them?

only if you play on the harder difficulty levels, but not really, they are guilty pleasure games like Earth Defence Force games. Very relaxing though and just fun to blast through thousands of weak enemies per stage feeling like a champion :D

Big0Bear

Im so hype for this game I hope they release the ps2 one as a Ps4 classic or whatever they are called so I can play it again while I wait

Paracelsus

I haven't followed it closely but I only have one question which doesn't seem to be answered:

Can he actually tear them to shreds like in the PS2 game or is it kiddyfied because Musou? To have him swing the Dragonslayer or use the hand cannon only to have enemies knocked back would defeat the purpose.

Tizoc

I haven't followed it closely but I only have one question which doesn't seem to be answered:

Can he actually tear them to shreds like in the PS2 game or is it kiddyfied because Musou? To have him swing the Dragonslayer or use the hand cannon only to have enemies knocked back would defeat the purpose.
That is what easy mode is there for

Top Bottom