• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Berserk Musou (PS4/PS3/Vita) teaser trailer announced for Japan, site opens June 23rd

Status
Not open for further replies.
some info from the magazines. I don't know Berserk so not sure with some of the terms

-The game takes place from golden age upto black swordsman
-Some scenes from 1997 anime and movie are used, as well as brand new stuff for the game. There will be a lot of scenes.
-the game is not directly tied with the newly airing Berserk anime. The game is made so even people who are not familiar with Berserk can enjoy
-There are huge boss battles, 1v1 against boss, fighting against small enemies and boss popping up during the battle
-lots of boss characters in the game, like zodd and bull/ox monster.
-Guts' fighting style changes as the story progresses in the manga, and the game will reflect that in the gameplay
-As with other Musou games, Guts is not the only playble character.
-the game's visual style will be similar to the poster
-The core target audience for the game is the fans of the original manga. But newcomers will also be able to enjoy the game.
-Japan and West have different restrictions for gore/erotic. Japan is more strict on gore stuff, while West is more strict on erotic stuff. So they want to get the balance right while staying true to the original.
-they will release a video featuring Guts soon.

Hopefully that means Serpico and Farnese are in! Sadly it probably means Schierke and Isidro are out! ;_;

Tizoc

giphy.gif
Read back a few pages

Arkeband

Banned
Kind of surprised by everyone defending the idiotic teaser and poster. Nobody here is arguing that the Eclipse/rape in general Shouldn't be in Berserk - the point is that they are advertising a video game by showing trying to show sexy rape. That's fucked up. Is this a VR hentai game or a musou?Jesus.

2 days ago...

I can understand the teaser giving fans a glimpse of the Eclipse, but the poster also having Casca strung up and naked might be overdoing it a bit.

...and then additional comments also calling it tasteless/dumb.

You're so morally superior to us that you didn't even bother to check if we agreed or disagreed with it or not.

Stay surprised, dawg.

Fuck yeah! Happy this does indeed cover golden age. Most people may be sick and tired of it, but we never had that in videogame form as far as I can tell. I personally love that arc and never bothered with the new movies and other stuff. So I'm down with this! So hyped! If this is not a simultanous release I'm double dipping so hard!

Same. If it does well (which it will), I can see them doing a sequel. Just hope they don't butcher it like Ken's Rage 2.

Skull Knight Vs Zodd boss fight here we come. HYPE!

3017ffbed00ae2b240cbf35152956721b3cfb053_hq.gif

dawgparty

2 days ago...

...and then additional comments also calling it tasteless/dumb.

You're so morally superior to us that you didn't even bother to check if we agreed or disagreed with it or not.

Stay surprised, dawg.

Er, did you read? Plenty of people defending it. I guess I misspoke by saying "everyone". Mostly meant "everyone doing X".

lupinko

I wonder if Sega will rush out a PS2 PS4 classics of Berserk Millennium Falcon Arc. I mean, when Bamco was releasing their new JoJo AllStar battle, Capcom rereleased (and has since taken down) JoJo Heritage for the Future on PSN and XBL.

hampig

Well, to be fair about the Casca thing, that really is a pivotal point in the series. It is weird to be the focus of the teaser, but it is a very important part of the story, and it sets expectations how far the game is willing to go. Not to say it was the best choice of focus, or even a good one. Just saying.

Either way, I'm extremely excited. Started reading just last summer and I couldn't believe how awesome the manga was. So much better than I'd ever expected from something called Berserk that seemed to be about an angry man smashing things.

I wonder if Sega will rush out a PS2 PS4 classics of Berserk Millennium Falcon Arc. I mean, when Bamco was releasing their new JoJo AllStar battle, Capcom rereleased (and has since taken down) JoJo Heritage for the Future on PSN and XBL.

I would be totally down for this.

Starts at Golden Age? Awesome. Since its suppose to be more catered to the manga audience than does that mean the fight with Wylad is confirmed?

Seems like this will go to the Tower of Conviction Arc? That seems like a good conclusion.

Can't wait for the Eclipse level. That's gonna be sick as fuck.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
The Black Swordsman is the first 3 volumes.

That arc is indeed called the Black Swordsman Arc but his entire period as the "Black Swordsman" extends into the Lost Children Arc and even into the conviction arc to some extent. It wasn't till he reunited with Casca that he really got off his shit head bastard stage.

Starts at Golden Age? Awesome. Since its suppose to be more catered to the manga audience than does that mean the fight with Wylad is confirmed?

Seems like this will go to the Tower of Conviction Arc? That seems like a good conclusion.

As long as I can cut off his dick in the battle!

That arc is indeed called the Black Swordsman Arc but his entire period as the "Black Swordsman" extends into the Lost Children Arc and even into the conviction arc to some extent. It wasn't till he reunited with Casca that he really got off his shit head bastard stage.

From raven's translations I'm getting the impression that they concretely mean the Golden Age Arc and Black Swordsman Arc. So no Lost Children or Conviction from what I understand.

Of course that's just what I think.

Ferr986

Well, to be fair about the Casca thing, that really is a pivotal point in the series. It is weird to be the focus of the teaser, but it is a very important part of the story, and it sets expectations how far the game is willing to go. Not to say it was the best choice of focus, or even a good one. Just saying.

Either way, I'm extremely excited. Started reading just last summer and I couldn't believe how awesome the manga was. So much better than I'd ever expected from something called Berserk that seemed to be about an angry man smashing things.

Game is not going any more far than any other game because theres still ratings (and people still forget japan is more strict in censorships, both with violence and sex).

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member

The game will only go to the Black Swordsman arc, no Conviction arc.

Anung

Un Rama

D: Probably saving content for any potential sequel. Still I'm a bit bored to death of the Golden Age adaptations. I suppose it does make the most sense for a Musou game, mind.

I wonder if Guts's rampage during the eclipse will be playable? It must be. There aren't too many large-scale demon fights in just black swordsman.

From raven's translations I'm getting the impression that they concretely mean the Golden Age Arc and Black Swordsman Arc. So no Lost Children or Conviction from what I understand.

Of course that's just what I think.

I'm not sure what to think.

It says that it'll go upto The Black Swordsman arc, implying it'll go just a little further than The Golden Age arc, but I feel it makes more sense that they're just going to cover volumes 1-13.

So genuine question,

Given the, uh, gruesome way the Golden Age arc ends...

...is gaming ready for a gruesome
demon rape scene
?

I genuinely wonder, might be worth a separate discussion. Beserk itself handles it fine, it's the culmination of a man's fall to absolute evil and the crux of the plot following those events. But we don't generally see this depicted in games.

I figured Black Swordsman was till he gets his new
his new armor
. I guess this game won't even cover the fairiy arc. So does this mean it ends at Slug Lord? Femto? Trying to think of a good stopping point.

HStallion

his new armor
. I guess this game won't even cover the fairiy arc. So does this mean it ends at Slug Lord? Femto? Trying to think of a good stopping point.

The Black Swordsman time period is him in his darkest shittiest phase. Once he heads after Casca is when it kind of ends since he's returning to his humanity.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
his new armor

Well you are kind of right, he get's new armor before searching for Casca.

The Orz

So genuine question,

Given the, uh, gruesome way the Golden Age arc ends...

...is gaming ready for a gruesome
demon rape scene
?

I genuinely wonder, might be worth a separate discussion. Beserk itself handles it fine, it's the culmination of a man's fall to absolute evil and the crux of the plot following those events. But we don't generally see this depicted in games.

Not in a Bersek musou game, no. The comics built up to the moment over years of storytelling and characterization. A carefully paced Berserk RPG might be able to do it but I don't see that happening here. At best, musou titles based off of licensed properties summarize stories, resulting in very little impact (especially for those unfamiliar with the property).

I'm still very much looking forward to the game, but I'm not expecting it to carry the weight of the source material. Like, at all.

HStallion

Not in a Bersek musou game, no. The comics built up to the moment over years of storytelling and characterization. A carefully paced Berserk RPG might be able to do it but I don't see that happening here. At best, musou titles based off of licensed properties summarize stories, resulting in very little impact (especially for those unfamiliar with the property).

I'm still very much looking forward to the game, but I'm not expecting it to carry the weight of the source material. Like, at all.

I'm assuming if they do the eclipse its just going to be a big open area with everything made of faces, a giant hand in the center of everything and just pools of blood and bodies with apostles everywhere. There will probably be some cutscenes that depict the more rapey parts.

RangerBAD

I think the eclipse will be cutscenes with material removed or the anime scenes with material removed or cropped. It might have a small playable section. Just a point A to B thing.

I think the eclipse will be cutscenes with material removed or the anime scenes with material removed or cropped. It might have a small playable section. Just a point A to B thing.
I'd imagine most of it will be fighting hordes of demons with dramatic music and dialogue over it. Major parts will be cutscenes but yea. Hopefully they bring it atmosphere-wise

The eclipse should have a boss rush at the end.

Wonder if it will start with the Snake Baron or will that be at the end?

Thinking of the battles and levels

1) Bozu boss
2) Griffith
3) Purple Rhino
4) Zodd
5) 100 vs 1
6) Stealth level
7) Baron battle
8) Griffith
9) Dhalism dude
10) Assassians
11) Wylad
12) Eclipse
13) Snake Baron
14) Slug Lord
15) Femto

Memory is fuzzy but I guess that's where the game will leave off. Not sure if i missed anything or if I put them out of order.

Seems like that's a good amount of content for 1 game, but would have been nice if it went to Tower of Conviction, but if there is a sequel I guess it can go up to Falconia or just catch up to the manga. Lost Children Arc seems perfect for a 1st level.

Relique

Out of all the things they could have shown. They had to go with the Casca rape.
God damn.

Wow It's been so long since I've seen Berserk that I didn't even realize what I was seeing in that teaser. Thought that woman was transforming into a a tentacle demon or something. Really odd choice for a first teaser but I feel like it's not as big a deal as some make it out to be. It's a very important plot point, and maybe the point of the teaser is to show that this game isn't far removed from the dark mature themes of the original work. My first thought when hearing Berserk musou is that it's probably just a reskin of Dynasty Warriors and this teaser does dispel that idea a little bit.

Breads

Banned
Since it's before the Golder Age arc, I doubt Serpico or Farniesse will be in it either : (

Golden Age is a flashback arc. Black Swordsman arc takes place after that but no further than right before the Tower of Conviction arc considering Gutt's armor in the manga during that arc.

:fake edit:

Considering the screenshot has him in post Black Swordsman arc armor (look at the shoulders) it can very well mean that Farnesse and Serpico (my homie) are in. It's even possible to have Schierke too though it would be odd to stop right before the Berserker armor (which I believe the DC game did).

:real edit:

Grunbeld and Berserker armor are in the scan! Raksha and Locus could possibly be in too!

mcz117chief

Next up Kenshin Musou... I really want that to be a reality lol.

That wouldn't make sense, Kenshin rarely fights more than one opponent at a time, the entire anime is all about 1v1 fights. Musou Keshin is an incredibly bad combination. However, Kenshin Shippuden Ultimate Samurai Ninja Storm would be amazing.

That wouldn't make sense, Kenshin rarely fights more than one opponent at a time, the entire anime is all about 1v1 fights. Musou Keshin is an incredibly bad combination. However, Kenshin Shippuden Ultimate Samurai Ninja Storm would be amazing.

Cyber Connect is going to be too busy making Yu Yu Hakusho for that.

mcz117chief

I wonder if there is any chance for an English dub. Whenever I hear Guts I can only hear Marc Diraison. The Japanese dub can't touch him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom