• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Best Buy] Trade in Any Laptop for $75 Credit*

It says no cracked screen, but how about a cracked hinge/base? The screen's fine, just the base is practically separated from the upper part.

cr0w

Old Member
Traded in an older Dell CAD machine I had laying around, got $153 for it because I had beefed up the processor and RAM a while back. Picked up the Logitech G933 gaming headset they had on sale for $139 down from $199, which is replacing my broken ass PS4 wireless gold set. Thanks for the heads up!

yyr

I have an old Asus Eee PC 1000HE that barely works any more. I was just going to recycle it, but a $75 GC sounds way better!

Thanks OP!

For those asking about a way to wipe their laptops, Google "DBAN" or "Darik's Boot & Nuke." You may need a USB floppy drive or external optical drive, though, if you've got a netbook and it contains neither.

_woLf

I have an old Asus Eee PC 1000HE that barely works any more. I was just going to recycle it, but a $75 GC sounds way better!

Thanks OP!

For those asking about a way to wipe their laptops, Google "DBAN" or "Darik's Boot & Nuke." You may need a USB floppy drive or external optical drive, though, if you've got a netbook and it contains neither.

If you wipe the laptop, what version of windows are people installing on them? Is one free somewhere?

Doesn't the laptop have to boot into it's OS to be eligible?

shandy706

X-D

I have a laptop with Windows XP. It's an Acer. 512Mb Ram. Intel Celeron.

It says $0

HOWEVER, if I change it to Windows 8 it says $75. I wonder if I can get 8 to install on it...I have a USB copy of 8.......

I have a 10 year old laptop that can still boot as long as it's plugged in at all times. Battery is dead. Still!

Same here, but the site still says $75 when marking No for "battery + AC adapter" 🤔

Guess I'll see tomorrow when I head to BB. I'm just glad a profitable way to get rid of these old laptops has popped up.

Nydius

Debating whether or not I should trade in my old Gateway i3 that I've only been keeping around as a spare. I realistically know I don't need it because if anything untoward were to happen to my tower, I can temporarily use my wife's HP laptop for essential use until I fix my system.

Well hmm. Decisions.

Edit: Wonder if this Nextbook Flexx I have would count. With the keyboard it's technically a laptop with an Intel Atom CPU and 2GB of RAM.

If the battery is 100% shot (like, you unplug it and it dies instantly) but I do have the cable, should I say "no battery and/or cable"? Because, it technically DOES have the battery... lol

dubc35

Of course, I bought a laptop from BB last week because the hdd died in our 10+ year old laptop. I would have swapped a new one in, installed ubuntu, and traded it in.

Nairume

Banned
It has to power on and include the power cord, if I remember correctly. I'm an employee and had to do like four laptop trade-ins the other day.

Not having the cord is a separate option, anyway. I don't know if it brings the value down any. But if you can't prove it powers on you probably won't get anything for it. But, YMMV. I just know my store.
Yeah, you are correct. That said, according to the website, even if I couldn't qualify for the $75 promotion, it said they'd still take it for about $30 without the cord. Since the thing is just taking up space here, I decided to go take it in anyway.

On a longshot, I checked with the Geek Squad reps to see if they had a power cord to test if it powered on. They did, and we managed to get it on in order to verify that it still works. I then took it over to customer service to get it processed. The guy couldn't find the actual model in the system, even though I could pull it up on the website and was saying the one he was finding didn't have a trade value. Despite me showing him that the one he had was totally wrong (the one he pulled up had half the ram, half the hdd space, and wasn't even the right screen size) he insisted that it was the one that we had there. His solution was to take it back to the Geek Squad, get the power cord, and come back to power it on and check the model number while it was powered on. By the time he got back, the laptop suddenly wouldn't power on, so he just rejected it outright at that point even though the Geek Squad guy powered it on and played around with it.

So that sucked. I'll probably try one of my other junk laptops (that does have the power cord and battery still) since it's a nice deal and I'm not using them anyway, but I'll probably just go to a different store since that one was kind of a shitty experience.

emag

Traded in my Lenovo 100S that I bought early last year for ~$140 from Best Buy itself. I'd like to think the included one year Office 365 subscription was close to the difference.

I forgot how long the trade process was at BB compared to GameStop, but everything went smoothly otherwise.

Vlaphor

I have an old laptop I can wipe and put a version of Linux on. I think I might do this when I get off work.

I did just that. Cleaned it up, put Linux Mint on there, took it in...and they couldn't find the deal. They only wanted to give me $60 for it. I pointed it out to them on their website and they inflated the value of the laptop and I got $80. Hopefully it wont be a problem for them when they find out that laptop has 1/4th the ram it says it does (I told them it had 4gb, they put on 16gb to increase the value).

so does it already need an OS on it or will they put it on there?

Just slap on a copy of Linux Mint and you'll be good to go. The time it took from downloading the iso to installed and ready to go was about 15-20 min. No need to install updates, just enough to have an OS running,

I know they have a "trade in" section, I wonder why they're going for old laptop hardware. What is the benefit of having an inflow of "working" laptops? If they are only able to boot up, what good are they to Best Buy?

I know they have a "trade in" section, I wonder why they're going for old laptop hardware. What is the benefit of having an inflow of "working" laptops? If they are only able to boot up, what good are they to Best Buy?

1) It gets you to spend money at Best Buy
2) CowBoom (EDIT: Now "Best Buy Outlet," I guess)

1) It gets you to spend money at Best Buy
2) CowBoom (EDIT: Now "Best Buy Outlet," I guess)

1) You're right, I'm half way to having enough for a go pro session
2) When I searched for them, all it did was reference that BB bought them. How can you sell computers that only startup? There is going to be a good amount of recycling if a good portion can only be used with power cable attached.

Ryuukan

Will they take it if my battery is completely drained? It only works if connected to the power supply.

The guy I dealt with was trying to tell me that it has to power on without being plugged in. I told him it doesn't say that anywhere on the website and he briefly chatted with his supervisor and said ok, it just has to power on.

linkboy

Seriously, most of the laptops that people are talking about trading in for a $75 gift card, they should consider listing for $100+ in the B/S/T thread.

I'm trading in this computer. It literally can't do anything. I've installed both 7 and 10, threw in 8GB of RAM and a 500GB Samsung SSD and it's still slow as shit.

It's my girlfriend's mom's computer. She only used it for typing in Word and it failed at that. Even pulling up the start menu chokes the machine.

I'll take the $75 store credit, turn it into a 240GB SSD and toss it into the new computer that I got for her (dell latitude e6410).

The guy I dealt with was trying to tell me that it has to power on without being plugged in. I told him it doesn't say that anywhere on the website and he briefly chatted with his supervisor and said ok, it just has to power on.
My store has a bunch of idiots. Sat there for like 20mins waiting for the girl to even find the computer and promotion. Then complains the harddrive wasn't wiped. Then complained that the hdd wasn't partitioned so geek squad couldn't reformat it. Then complained that it wouldn't stay powered on unplugged. This is the worst store for promotions. Took two hours on the phone with corporate when they had that ink/toner trade in promotion. They couldn't even understand their own terms and condition.

Haven't been following the threads here & at SD. Is it confirmed that they're enforcing one trade-in per person, even if you go to multiple locations?

Haven't been following the threads here & at SD. Is it confirmed that they're enforcing one trade-in per person, even if you go to multiple locations?
My Best Buy took down my ID and thumb print and put it in their system. You will need to recruit ppl to do more than one laptop.

My Best Buy took down my ID and thumb print and put it in their system. You will need to recruit ppl to do more than one laptop.

System doesn't lock you out of doing multiples. The only way they find out is if they hack into your phone's GPS history and then use their CSI skills to enhance a reflection from a car in the parking lot at long john silvers across the street.

Just try at another location and you should be fine. Just note that the coupons don't stack on the Samsung laptop. Some people think it does for some reason or another.

Top Bottom