• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best High End Gaming Headset

Man. I didn't think this would be so difficult. Almost everyone recommends something different.

Buying a TV was much easier. The KS8000 was pretty much the consensus best for the price.

I didn't think buying headphones would be harder.

Just say what price you want between a range and people will probably overlap quite often on a couple products. Audio-Technica, Sennheiser, Beyerdynamics will come up pretty frequently. Outside that it's usually at the higher price ranges where things really start to stand out. Personally anything over $200 or so yields massive diminishing returns for me. (granted I've only experience up to ~$400 range on headphones) I don't think I could ever justify purchasing higher end headphones and amps though.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Man. I didn't think this would be so difficult. Almost everyone recommends something different.

Buying a TV was much easier. The KS8000 was pretty much the consensus best for the price.

I didn't think buying headphones would be harder.

Headphones are hard because there is a lot more personal preference involved. While some people like shitty, oversaturated picture on a TV, there are objective measures of picture quality (plus things like input lag) and clear price/performance winners. Headphones are a lot more subjective. Better ones will offer more clear, defined sound, but you also have to determine what sort of sound you want.

Price range and open vs closed would be a good place to start narrowing things down. Open headphones will "leak" sound but have a better sound stage. Basically better "surround effect" even with stereo audio. Closed headphones are the opposite.

Once you narrow that down you will probably have several options, and it will come down to what sound signature you prefer. Basically how you want the lows/mids/highs to sound together. Without trying them out you will probably just end up guessing though.

Vipu

Banned
Before I had HD595 for 5 years and they were really good for the price.
Now I had HD 650 for 2 years and these are so good, also o2 amp.

If you want to spend that 300$ just for headphones and get some random few $ mic then you should get HD600 or HD650. But you should have amp with them too.

Headphones are hard because there is a lot more personal preference involved. While some people like shitty, oversaturated picture on a TV, there are objective measures of picture quality (plus things like input lag) and clear price/performance winners. Headphones are a lot more subjective. Better ones will offer more clear, defined sound, but you also have to determine what sort of sound you want.

Price range and open vs closed would be a good place to start narrowing things down. Open headphones will "leak" sound but have a better sound stage. Basically better "surround effect" even with stereo audio. Closed headphones are the opposite.

Once you narrow that down you will probably have several options, and it will come down to what sound signature you prefer. Basically how you want the lows/mids/highs to sound together. Without trying them out you will probably just end up guessing though.

So I'm looking at s $300 max price. That includes Headphones + Mic + Amp. I see a lot of suggestions for $279 headphones, but then I need a $100 amp, and $40 mic. That's out of my range.

Since I'm new to this, I'm looking for something simple that will mainly work on my PS4 Pro and PC. Easy set up. Xbox One would be nice also.

I've never experience opened vs. closed headphones, but open sounds more intriguing to me.

I currently have the Sony Golds and Sony Platinums. I like the golds due to ease of use. The Platinums just suck imo, and I'm going to return them. I'm liking to use that money to put towards a better set.

Oublieux

So I'm looking at s $300 max price. That includes Headphones + Mic + Amp. I see a lot of suggestions for $279 headphones, but then I need a $100 amp, and $40 mic. That's out of my range.

Since I'm new to this, I'm looking for something simple that will mainly work on my PS4 Pro and PC. Easy set up. Xbox One would be nice also.

I've never experience opened vs. closed headphones, but open sounds more intriguing to me.

I currently have the Sony Golds and Sony Platinums. I like the golds due to ease of use. The Platinums just suck imo, and I'm going to return them. I'm liking to use that money to put towards a better set.

You can nab a Sennheiser HD598 for 120 when on sale, which happens quite regularly, and top it off with the Astro mixamp and a mic of your choice.

zeorhymer

I still use my Logitch G35 USB headphones. They're cheap since they've been discontinued. I have the Astro A40 with Mixamp and it just plain sucked. Updated drivers, used the mic cable, everything. It was not very good at all. Plus the sound wasn't that great.

I have a good set of headphones and people saying to just use a mod mic is making me think if that's even better.

You can nab a Sennheiser HD598 for 120 when on sale, which happens quite regularly, and top it off with the Astro mixamp and a mic of your choice.

As someone with zero experience with headphones and amps, will these be a pretty substantial upgrade over the Sony Golds/Platinums.

T_V_H

As someone with zero experience with headphones and amps, will these be a pretty substantial upgrade over the Sony Golds/Platinums.

Absolutely, any pair of proper stereo heaphones will sound better than a "cheap" pair of closed cans. I have always found the Sony golds to be "tiny" sounding, any Sennheiser 5xx or 6xx model would be a substantial upgarde over the golds/platinums. Of course it would be best if you got to try them before buying to know for sure that it's the right pair for you.

Edit: Wish you could get the Fidelio X2's for a decent price in the US, my friend got a pair for 139€ new from a European retailer, unbeatable for that price.

Edit2: And absolutely go for a pair of open heaphones, assuming you don't live in a extremely loud enviroment and don't mind someone else hearing what you are listening.

I can get Philips Fidelio x2 for a pretty cheap price of 130€. Is it worth it going a bit higher and getting some of the Sennheiser stuff or Beyer or whatever?

I never paid any attention to audio tbh. But after a Zimmer concert where they played some music before the concert started I noticed how much of the sounds I was missing :( So I want to try and experience audio as it was meant to be.

I mostly game, watch movies and listen to movie and game soundtracks/classical/instrumental stuff

Absolutely, any pair of proper stereo heaphones will sound better than a "cheap" pair of closed cans. I have always found the Sony golds to be "tiny" sounding, any Sennheiser 5xx or 6xx model would be a substantial upgarde over the golds/platinums. Of course it would be best if you got to try them before buying to know for sure that it's the right pair for you.

Edit: Wish you could get the Fidelio X2's for a decent price in the US, my friend got a pair for 139€ new from a European retailer, unbeatable for that price.

Edit2: And absolutely go for a pair of open heaphones, assuming you don't live in a extremely loud enviroment and don't mind someone else hearing what you are listening.

So are amps basically required for most headphones?

Could I buy the Sennheisers or X2 without needing an amp?

Most headphones don't have volume control on the headphones themselves do they?

Ritzboof

i have a v-moda crossfade LP headset (which i guess is discontinued now in favor of LP2), and after several years, its still comfortable (i wear it for hours every day) and delivering amazing sound quality and bass like a dream. at around $150 you can definitely get cheaper headsets, but i havent had second thoughts about getting this headset. id definitely recommend looking into v-moda

the boompro mic is really good, but ive gone through several of them since i got the headset. it seems like theyre prone to the wires loosening. my last one got wrecked after i tripped on the wire once, and right now i need to loop the cable through my headset so that it isnt hanging, or else it can act up and blow out my friends ears. im not really sure about buying another one

are there any good options besides the boompro mic that dont sit on your desk?

Are ATH-A700's good to use? I think I have a pair around here somewhere.
Absolutely. They were great for their price point when they were originally released. I still use the AD700, which is the closed-back (and slightly inferior) version of yours, at work and home. The bass isn't overpowering (people who prefer their bass would call it weak), but the clarity in the mids are fantastic.

Before I had HD595 for 5 years and they were really good for the price.
Now I had HD 650 for 2 years and these are so good, also o2 amp.

If you want to spend that 300$ just for headphones and get some random few $ mic then you should get HD600 or HD650. But you should have amp with them too.

HD600/650 just sound right. Even compared to $1000+ headphones they can hold their own. Amazing lenegendary status headphones.

Sanctuary

Oh, Lord God in heaven. Please don't do this to yourself.

Please take the time to read this, http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=228703154#post228703154

Just browse that thread and ask your questions there.

I absolutely guarantee you it's not worth it to go gaming branded. I work out as well with my headphones on and my E-MU's stay on tight though I do have to work around the wire. I also have a sit stand desk that I pace all around with while I consume media and such. Just learn to mind the cable and soon it's like it isn't even there. Trust me the downgrade in quality from wireless isn't worth it. This is from someone coming from an Astro A50 that I used for years.

If you want I or the people in that thread can throw together a setup for you that would beat any gaming branded headphones hands down for your price range.

Thing is, a lot of people in that thread don't care about anything other than stereo, and feel like an open headphone is "open" enough, or that it's good for positional audio. Most of the time they aren't really that good for positional audio by themselves, but will still clearly have superior stereo sound. It really depends on what someone is going after, because IMO a superior immersion is better than absolute clarity with games at least.

So on that note, your options become much more limited. If you aren't playing on PC, you're essentially stuck with either an iteration of the Astro Mixamp (with or without additional amping and headphones), the Creative X7 (and additonal headphones) or the Sennheiser headset. The best value is probably the Sennheiser headset.

Also...

http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad...-guide-3-18-2016-mrspeakers-ether-c-1-1-added

Because people are dumb and marketing is effective.

Just a warning about the DT990s. They are V-shaped and it's almost on the level of the HD 700s in terms of sibilance. I am unable to use them on my current amp/DAC setup because of how piercing they are. Tube amps may be better for the 990s as it should smooth the sound out.

Not sure about the 880s, but the 770s are neutral.

DT770 isn't neutral. It focuses way more on the higher end than it should and is rather anemic sounding. The DT880 is way more neutral compared to it, and the most neutral of the three listed. They are also the best "general use" headphones I've ever owned, although I don't use the stock pads.

Here's a brief synopsis of their differences:

DT770: Can be said to have stronger treble with weaker bass and a more hollow midrange with a closed in sound. Overall a nice balanced sound.

DT880: Has a very linear sound that is incredibly neutral. Still has the strong treble but also has more midrange and bass with an improved soundstage. The most neutral of the DT770-DT990 series line up.

DT990: Has a very strong treble emphasis with shallower sounding mids and more prominent bass. It could be said that this is the beyerdynamics' "fun" headphone. The soundstage is also the biggest of the DT770-DT990 series line up.

T_V_H

So are amps basically required for most headphones?

Could I buy the Sennheisers or X2 without needing an amp?

Most headphones don't have volume control on the headphones themselves do they?

You don't necessarily need an amp, with either of the heaphones, they are not that hard to drive. My X1's get decently loud without an amp and sound great as well. The Sennheiser 598's are 50 ohm headphones meaning that that you would most likely be fine without an amp, although they might benefit from a decent headphone amp. X2's are 32 ohm I think, might be wrong.

Od course, if you absolutely feel that you need the virtual surround, then you would have to buy the mixamp or similar. I don't know about the newer ones but I have the gen. 1 mixanp and I dont like it. It's fizzy and crackly a higher volumes, also I feel it colors the sound somewhat. Additionally I thought that the surround thing was quite underwhelming. Of course they might be a lot better these days.

I would recomend getting a nice pair of open headphones (598's, dt-880's, X's, etc..) and trying them out first and seeing if you are satisfied with the possitional audio as is. If you find them lacking then get a mixamp. I just think that a pair of headphones with a great soundstage are more than enough. You just have to try it yourself.

And no, none of those headphones have any volume control on them.

Edit: The X2's are infact 32 ohm, so you could drive them on your phone if you wanted.

Edit2: You could just get the X2's from Amazon for 249$ and slap on a 10$ clip on mic and you'd have a better headset than pretty much anything out there.

Arulan

HD600 and Fidelio is a smart combo ;)
HD600/650 just sound right. Even compared to $1000+ headphones they can hold their own. Amazing lenegendary status headphones.

HD600s are just fantastic headphones. Of all the headphones I've ever owned, they're the only ones I would replace instantly, without considering an upgrade, if they were to ever break.

The Fidelio X2s, as you've already pointed out, contrast very nicely with the HD600s. They have a more pronounced bass and a larger soundstage, both of which can be appealing to certain genres of games or music. I also needed a good pair that didn't require an Amp.

Salmon

Best bang for the buck should be the QPAD QH-1339
Been using them for year, and they're really something else!

qpadqh1339_181970.jpg

T_V_H

HD600s are just fantastic headphones. Of all the headphones I've ever owned, they're the only ones I would replace instantly, without considering an upgrade, if they were to ever break.

The Fidelio X2s, as you've already pointed out, contrast very nicely with the HD600s. They have a more pronounced bass and a larger soundstage,both of which can be appealing to certain genres of games or music. I also needed a good pair that didn't require an Amp.

This is exactly why I always recomend them when someone is looking for a "gaming headset". No gaming headset comes close. That being said, I have been thinking of getting a flater sounding pair myself, purely for music. I think the 600's are bit too expensive for me so the 598/558's would do me just fine.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
DT770 isn't neutral. It focuses way more on the higher end than it should and is rather anemic sounding. The DT880 is way more neutral compared to it, and the most neutral of the three listed. They are also the best "general use" headphones I've ever owned, although I don't use the stock pads.

As a DT990 user, I can agree with this. This description (or a similar one) is why I decided to go with them to replace my old, broken HD555s. Was choosing between the 880 and 990, and the 990 was on sale so I went for it. Not disappointed, but it's also not something for everyone.

There are only one or two games which currently support 3D Audio so I think you're writing it off a little too prematurely. Uncharted 4 clearly sounds much better with 3D Audio.

Not only that but I just bought my PS platinum headsets and at first didn't like it but it's gotten better with repeated use. It's apparently has a break in period.

Akronis

Thanks bud, must've gotten them confused.

I've had the golds for 3 years and just got the platinum and there is no way the sound worst than the golds. Use it more and break it in they will get better. Unless you got a defective one, then return it.

If you don't care about wires I would save the money and get the legendary closed cans Sony MDR7506 and a separate mic. You can't get much better accurate sound reproduction for the price.

Duxxy3

I've got HD598's and DT770's and I have to say, the HyperX Cloud's are no joke. Even as a headphone they're pretty solid. Kingston made a good choice in turning the takstar/gemini headphones into a headset.

Best bang for the buck should be the QPAD QH-1339
Been using them for year, and they're really something else!

qpadqh1339_181970.jpg

I had one of these for a while. Very comfy and great sound quality, but they broke super quickly.

I've just ordered myself a V-Moda Boompro off amazon. My girlfriend has a sweet pair of Bose overear headphones to try them out with, then if I'm happy I'll grab a high quality pair of headphones myself. Looking at the Phillips X2s.

T_V_H

I can get Philips Fidelio x2 for a pretty cheap price of 130€. Is it worth it going a bit higher and getting some of the Sennheiser stuff or Beyer or whatever?

I never paid any attention to audio tbh. But after a Zimmer concert where they played some music before the concert started I noticed how much of the sounds I was missing :( So I want to try and experience audio as it was meant to be.

I mostly game, watch movies and listen to movie and game soundtracks/classical/instrumental stuff

At that price it's a no brainer. Go for it, even if it was the same price as the others it all comes down to preference. X2's are a great all-rounder.

Metfanant

How are the 598 Cs when plugged directly into the DS4?...

Ive had the Sony gold's since they came out and they have been fine...I quite like the convenience of wireless because I'm about 9ft from my TV, but I wouldn't be against plugging into the controller..

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
I've got HD598's and DT770's and I have to say, the HyperX Cloud's are no joke. Even as a headphone they're pretty solid. Kingston made a good choice in turning the takstar/gemini headphones into a headset.

This is what they have everyone in our office use, and I have been pretty happy with them so far. Not sure how they compare to higher end products, but they seem to be good bang for your buck.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity

Mostly games and movies the X2s are perfect.

greelay

Does anyone use the hd 598 cs? I have been looking into getting them for Nintendo Switch and PC use. If I get them, I will use an DAC for the PC but just plug them into the jack on the switch. Just wondering if anyone had any opinions on them.

ViciousDS

Banned
Been so happy with my sennheiser g4me ones for 2 years now. Honestly the only "headset" I could recommend over $100.

MY MAN!

Everyone complains about the price for them being wired. I said yes, because the sound quality of your wireless turtle beaches or astros are really shit. The G4ME ones are 598's with a mic.

If I have to Ill grab some baller wireless headphones and use an attachable mic. But no way am I buying a wireless gaming headset. They are just terrible to use

nelo_inc

I use the Turtle Beach PX4 for PS4,XOne,X360,PS3 & PC, they are quite good & confortable.

My only problem is that sometimes the receiver gets interference.

T_V_H

Well, now I am confused what to buy (PS4)

I was planning to buy a headset too ,a turtlebeach headset

For the love of god don't buy Turtle Beach branded plastic crap (at least all of the ones I've held in my hand have been). If you are on a budget take a look of the Kingston HyperX series. If your budget is higher, see all the recomendations on this thread.

Anyway, what kind of headphones do you want? Wireless, wired, open, closed..?

ViciousDS

Banned
For the love of god don't buy Turtle Beach branded plastic crap. If you are on a budget take a look of the Kingston HyperX series. If your budget is higher, see all the recomendations on this thread.

Anyway, what kind of headphones do you want? Wireless, wired, open, closed..?

Can't agree with this more. Turtle beach build quality is absolutely terrible

Hyper cloud core and hyper cloud II's are insanely good for what little you pay for them

xezuru

Post for Vision, please do not buy "gameware" you can do 100x better for even half the price.

They're alright, sennheissers are dececent enough with their build quality and okaaay with their sound quality for a headset package, that said you can get way better imo.

The best budget package right now for a headset loadout imo is:

$55 - Philips SHP 9500S

$30 - VModa Boom Pro Microphone

Unfortunately, the boompro mic is backstock at the moment but it plugs right directly in to the port.

If people are willing to spend more:
CINEMATIC GAMING/MOVIES/BASS THUMP - $250 - Philips X2/27 Fidelio
100% COMPETITION GAMING FOCUS/VOCAL HIGHS - $270 - Audio Technica Audiophile ATH-AD1000X

Former can connect to VMODA Boom Pro. Latter prolly needs an Antlion Mod Mic if you want headset solution.
You could also go budget for 100% Competition build with an $100 - Audio Technica ATH-AD700X
but the 9500s are phenomenal on their own already and are already a great all rounder.
None of the above need any AMP powerage either, dacs could arguably give better sound so shrug.

ALSO, for an easy great audio quality WIRED CONSOLE SOLUTION:
$23.99 - Fiio D3 (D03 K) Digital to Analog Audio Coverter
YOU NEED A OPTICAL CABLE FOR THIS SOLUTION.

Ended up getting the Phillips SHP9500S. I had immediate buyers remorse because I had really wanted headphones with a detachable cable. But it turns out... the SHP9500Ss have a detachable cable! They're coming in tomorrow!

My current headset of choice and i can attest for their quality!

16142204_10158077253070032_4091662130791510529_n.jpg

16265710_10158077493485032_3340216089078520666_n.jpg

What kind of keyboard is that?

So just curious, since most of these heaphones don't have a volume adjustment, does that mean I either need an amp, or go into system settings to adjust sound.

I'd say in about 80% PS4 gamer, 15% PC, 5% Xbox One.

So PS4 compatability means the most to be.

Top Bottom