• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best High End Gaming Headset

Elfstruck

So I'm amateur when it comes to audio, I bought an X2 fidelio along with the Astro mixamp pro tr after some recommendations. After 10 hrs playing ROTTR with it, I don't think I can go back to the regular headphone. The sound is amazing!

Renekton

Hi GAF,

Based on the discussion here, I wonder which signal chain would provide a better sound quality for high end headphones. DAC unit is often recommended here, but is that a case when the TV or console does not have a 3,5mm jack output?

My question is if there is a noticable difference between these two signal chains:

PS4 --> HDMI --> TV (Sony KDL-43W800D) that has 3.5mm jack out --> headphones

or

PS4 --> optical out --> DAC (FiiO D03K TAISHAN) 3.5mm line out --> headphones

In other words, does it make sense for me to buy a DAC unit if I can use my TV's analog output? If it does, is there a qualitative difference between DAC taking an audio signal from optical and HDMI?
I don't know about the quality of your TV but even a budget DAC like Fiio makes a world of difference versus a cheap TV like my Samsung.

e90Mark

Has anyone tried the Astro MixAmp Pro TR?

'm using some AKG headphones with modmic, but I feel like I should add the MixAmp to the fray.
I have one and use it with my X2/BoomPro. I keep the EQ on flat and use the DH on some games, but the main convenience is being able to control volume with a knob, as well as being able to control game/voice chat with a knob as well.
So I'm amateur when it comes to audio, I bought an X2 fidelio along with the Astro mixamp pro tr after some recommendations. After 10 hrs playing ROTTR with it, I don't think I can go back to the regular headphone. The sound is amazing!

It's a great combo, isn't it.

Justinh

Yeah, I'm no expert either, but I love this setup. Like I said earlier in the thread, when I got the headphones (I was already using the Astro TR mixamp with SHP9500 headphones before/ false: Sorry, misremembering, I was using those old headphones via controller or Sound Blaster G5 X on PC. Had to look up my order history) I watched Fury Road like half a dozen times the following weekend just because it sounded so great.

My mic broke though, so I'm just using the cable that came with the headphones. It bothered me a little when I saw the link someone posted for them in a previous post, because I had paid 100 dollars more for mine and it wasn't that long ago, but I guess I'm happy I don't have to worry about getting the later models without removable earcups that I've seen some people complaining about

edit: nope! I was a dummy and looking at the cost for the total order, which included Forza Horizon 3 Ultimate edition, so that's why I paid "100" (80) dollars more.

So are the X2 Fidelios worth the $100 more than the sennheiser 598s? I think I've narrowed it down to these two, along with the Astro mix amp.

My budget was about $300, but if the X2's are that much better, I'll upgrade to those.

dralla

So are the X2 Fidelios worth the $100 more than the sennheiser 598s? I think I've narrowed it down to these two, along with the Astro mix amp.

My budget was about $300, but if the X2's are that much better, I'll upgrade to those.

Depends on how much $100 means to you. I'd go with the X2's but if you're short on cash the 598's are solid.

deoee

Allow me to be a piece of shit but honestly you could probably just pair the aforementioned Philips SHP 9500s with a bluetooth adapter and still decently blow away most gaming solutions.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MJMV0GU/?tag=neogaf0e-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007Q45EF4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

That said, console drivers are dubious and arbitrarily selective, that's why I recommend amazon, because if for some reason Sony PS4 is fucking stupid and don't recognize that bluetooth usb you can return it easily.
Edit: Also the VModa Boom Pro solution mentioned earlier also works with plugging it into the controller, so it's an option but damn it hurts writing this as an old man stuck to the dominance of wired.

How's the quality loss on the BT thingies?

Might be a decent idea tbh :D

I listened to both lately, owning the HD 598 I wanted an upgrade.

The X2 were good but I found them not worthy the cost coming from the HD 598. It would've been a bit more fun to listen to sidegrade but not really an upgrade.
The bass on the X2 was deeper and punchier but only slightly, the treble was a bit more pronounced.
Comfort wise the HD 598 can not be beaten, but the X2 was comfy. Soundstage was better on the HD 598.
I'd say go with the HD 598 and save the money for some other headphones you'll def. want to buy later on ;)

If I might make some other suggestions:

Sennheiser HD 7. I own the Sennheiser HD8 and they are superb, I'm still blown away. The 7 has worse build quality and slightly less bass.
Sennheiser HD 650. For some one of the best Sennheisers ever made. They sound quite warm with pronounced bass.
Or the HD 600, which I only heard great things about

Edit 2: I've also wrote up some thoughts on many headphones over here at Head-fi

Mr_Moogle

I've got the Sony MDR MA900's with a HRT Microstreamer USB DAC.

They are super comfy and have excellent soundstage and positional audio. I couldn't recommend them enough.

Welp, this thread made me cave on getting the SHP9500S + V-Moda Boom mic combo, such an incredible deal. I was sorta thinking about getting a replacement for my Plantonics RIG headset anyway, which has served me pretty well but more recently the left cup snapped off and is now hanging by the wires and some duct tape, but I was worried about the expense of getting something like, say, a Logitech G533, which is supposed to be an incredibly good wireless headset.

I'd really like to get into 3D audio with a headset at some point, but I'm sure there's a far cheaper solution than just a specialized headset, and the few games and me not having a VR headset (preferably a Vive) to take advantage of it means I can safely skip for now.

Came into some extra money thanks to the super bowl. I'm pretty sure I'm going with the X2, and V-Moda boom pro.

As someone who mainly games on PS4 is this a good way too go?

I also need more recommendations for a mix amp (if needed) that will work on PS4/PC. Xbox one would be nice also. I was thinking the Astro mix amp, but since I'm getting the X2's now, I think I might prefer something a bit cheaper.

chrislowe

I use Logitech G633 on my pc and ps4.

I like that I can use my mobile phone at the same time as playing games and mix the audio.

Supports dolby surround and 7.1

I can recommend it.

AaronMT86

I use Astro A50's. While they are fine, I don't recommend them for the terribly short battery life (~4 hours). I would not get the A50's again, perhaps the A40's next time.

Ordered the Fidelio X2's, and the Astro Mix amp. No experience with legit headphones, so I'm excited. I think I'm setting myself up for disappointment though. My expectations are probably to high. Best headset I've ever owned were the Sony Golds.

i'm looking for something to use for gaming (ps4/xbo) and also my guitar (headphone out from amp). when i look at lists for guitars, these two always come up:

Sennheiser HD 598
Audio-Technica ATH-M50x

I think i've seen the 598's recommended here for gaming, what about the ATH-M50X? for either one i'd add the vmoda boom mic.

Da Fro

With Halo Wars 2 out and Ghost Recon almost out, I'm in need of a new headset for my Xbox One.
Just looking mostly for comfort. I have bigger ears, not weird big but bigger, and wanted ones that fit over them. I'm using Skullcandy Plyr 2 right now. They were a little small and had a few issues but they worked okay. Now it's time to upgrade.
Wireless would be great but wired works just fine for me. I don't want two cords though for sure.
$100-$200 Canadian So around $150 US max.

I've been recommend the HyperX Cloud II. Found them for $110. Good recommendation or something better?

AXE

Got Siberia 800

Should I be able to charge my battery in-headset with the USB-poweroutlet thingy?

Its not charging at all.

RSH

Neo Member
I'm after a good 7.1/5.1 headset, that I can use on both PS4 and XB1. I won't be using the microphone, so not fussed about that. Just want a headset for audio. Thanks in advance.

I'm after a good 7.1/5.1 headset, that I can use on both PS4 and XB1. I won't be using the microphone, so not fussed about that. Just want a headset for audio. Thanks in advance.

If you aren't fussed about a mic, get headphones instead. Plug them into the controller and you essentially have wireless.

Default recommendation are the Hyperx cloud II. All in one solution, and they sound phenomenal as they are basically an entry level audiophile headphone with a detachable mic. They go for $100ish.

Phillips shp9500 are open back, sound phenomenal and you can easily pair with a v-moda boom pro mic. 9500s can be had for $50-60.

Outside of that give a price range for better recommendation.

Top Bottom