• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best High End Gaming Headset

ViciousDS

Banned
So just curious, since most of these heaphones don't have a volume adjustment, does that mean I either need an amp, or go into system settings to adjust sound.

I'd say in about 80% PS4 gamer, 15% PC, 5% Xbox One.

So PS4 compatability means the most to be.

The controllers have volume control in the system settings and have never been an issue with any headphones or headset that don't have their own volume controls.

Xbox one has an adapter you can by to adjust everything even chat/game balance

PC you can just do everything in the volume controls no problem

Varvor

Ended up getting the Phillips SHP9500S. I had immediate buyers remorse because I had really wanted headphones with a detachable cable. But it turns out... the SHP9500Ss have a detachable cable! They're coming in tomorrow!

What kind of keyboard is that?

Thats an Azio Reto MK.

It seems like a prentions hipster thingy....but its legit good keyboard that feels and sounds good for both work and games...

Review:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DvbA0k_cy6E

anddo0

So just curious, since most of these heaphones don't have a volume adjustment, does that mean I either need an amp, or go into system settings to adjust sound.

I'd say in about 80% PS4 gamer, 15% PC, 5% Xbox One.

So PS4 compatibility means the most to be.

Get an amp for PS4, problem solved. It's not needed to power 90% of the headphones listed in this thread; However, an amp is 100% better than plugging into the DS4.. Higher volumes (even 30% of an amp volume is 4x louder than the DS4), better sound separation.

SMSL SD793-II
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A2QLPJM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Micca OriGen+
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BURJVOC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Muzicfreq

Banned
I broke down and just went to best buy to grab the arctis5 headset and a 2 year replacement plan
Something breaks I'll just go back in.

Also love having the PC plug at the top of my desk with game/chat audio separate and can control the mix and for console I can unplug from the base and plot the 4pin adapter and plug into the ds4.

Rellik

Get an amp for PS4, problem solved. It's not needed to power 90% of the headphones listed in this thread; However, an amp is 100% better than plugging into the DS4.. Higher volumes (even 30% of an amp volume is 4x louder than the DS4), better sound separation.

SMSL SD793-II
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A2QLPJM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Micca OriGen+
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BURJVOC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I'm using the SMSL on my PS4 and can definitely back this post up. I barely have to turn up the volume at all on it.

Skelter

Banned
Don't buy a headset, buy good headphones and a ModMic.

HD 598C if you want noise cancellation, or HD 598 for better soundstage. AKG K7XXs are good as well, but they're power hungry so you'll probs need an amp.

I managed to snag some AKG 701's very very cheap. What kind of amp do you recommend? I game on PC.

Looking to upgrade my Sony gold to something I can use on Xbox and PS4. Why not choose the sennheiser game one over the hd598 and a boom mic? Wouldn't that be cheaper since it's $160 all in one package?

I really don't want something that needs an amp as I sit 10ft from tv and don't want to run a cord. I would plug directly into the controllers.

Akronis

I managed to snag some AKG 701's very very cheap. What kind of amp do you recommend? I game on PC.

What is your use case? If you want virtual surround, your options differ. Schiit is usually a good choice for starting out, as they have good entry level stuff.

For surround, you'll probably end up getting a sound card. Asus STX cards have Dolby Surround, Creative's higher-end sound cards have SBX.

+1. Once you go Sennheisers all others will sound like rain on a tin roof.

Nah. Not even close.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
+1. Once you go Sennheisers all others will sound like rain on a tin roof.

How many even mid--fi "others" have you experienced, to make such a ridiculous statement be true?

I understand Sennheiser is usually baby's first decent headphone, but please stop it with this misinforming bullshit.

Looking to upgrade my Sony gold to something I can use on Xbox and PS4. Why not choose the sennheiser game one over the hd598 and a boom mic? Wouldn't that be cheaper since it's $160 all in one package?

I really don't want something that needs an amp as I sit 10ft from tv and don't want to run a cord. I would plug directly into the controllers.

Same question. These 2 are on the top of my list, along with the X2's. Other than the controller part.

Paragon

For DACS, the ODAC or Modi 2.
The Modi 2 Multibit is expensive but it sounds great.
Don't suggest stereo DACs for gaming.
You need a device which can process 5.1/7.1 audio to produce a virtual surround output for headphones.
For consoles, that means something like the Astro Mixamp, Turtle Beach DSS2, Creative Sound Blaster X7, an AVR with virtual surround, Smyth Realiser etc.
Either that, or a headset with those capabilities - though I would prefer a separate processing box and my own headphones.

Just to be clear, I am not making any specific recommendations here - only listing some of the products that I'm aware of which are supposed to work with consoles.
I'm primarily a PC gamer so I'm not too familiar with many of these options, and currently use a sound card to handle the virtual surround processing instead.

Arulan

Don't suggest stereo DACs for gaming.
You need a device which can process 5.1/7.1 audio to produce a virtual surround output for headphones.

For consoles, that means something like the Astro Mixamp, Turtle Beach DSS2, Creative Sound Blaster X7, an AVR with virtual surround, Smyth Realiser etc.
Either that, or a headset with those capabilities - though I would prefer a separate processing box and my own headphones.

Just to be clear, I am not making any specific recommendations here - only listing some of the products that I'm aware of which are supposed to work with consoles.
I'm primarily a PC gamer so I'm not too familiar with many of these options, and currently use a sound card to handle the virtual surround processing instead.

I don't agree, but I suppose that's up to user preference.

I've used both CMSS-3D and Dolby Headphones extensively (and listened to most of the others), and I don't believe it's worth the trade-offs in audio quality if you have good open headphones.

Processing 5.1/7.1 channels of information is a far cry from the direct API support of the past, where the game itself would directly report the coordinates of the sound (I believe 128 channels was the maximum at the time), and translate that down to binaural stereo.

The 5.1/7.1 approach however muddies the sound, and depending on the implementation can sometimes come across as being inside a cave or tin box. There is also no vertical information, limiting the virtual surround sound to the horizontal plane. If I had to pick though, I'd say CMSS-3D is the best one of those.

And finally, there have been a few games recently which have implemented software-based virtual surround sound directly, which can obviously be used with whichever DAC you wish. A few that come to mind are Overwatch, Elite: Dangerous, Resident Evil 7, and VR games. Overwatch uses Dolby Atmos and Elite: Dangerous uses DTS Headphone:X. Both of these are object-based surround sound technologies, which means it can do what I mentioned previously of picking sound coordinates instead of only using 5.1/7.1 channels, and this obviously includes height information as well.

They're alright, sennheissers are dececent enough with their build quality and okaaay with their sound quality for a headset package, that said you can get way better imo.

The best budget package right now for a headset loadout imo is:

$55 - Philips SHP 9500S

$30 - VModa Boom Pro Microphone

Unfortunately, the boompro mic is backstock at the moment but it plugs right directly in to the port.

If people are willing to spend more:
CINEMATIC GAMING/MOVIES/BASS THUMP - $250 - Philips X2/27 Fidelio
100% COMPETITION GAMING FOCUS/VOCAL HIGHS - $270 - Audio Technica Audiophile ATH-AD1000X

Former can connect to VMODA Boom Pro. Latter prolly needs an Antlion Mod Mic if you want headset solution.
You could also go budget for 100% Competition build with an $100 - Audio Technica ATH-AD700X
but the 9500s are phenomenal on their own already and are already a great all rounder.
None of the above need any AMP powerage either, dacs could arguably give better sound so shrug.

ALSO, for an easy great audio quality WIRED CONSOLE SOLUTION:
$23.99 - Fiio D3 (D03 K) Digital to Analog Audio Coverter
YOU NEED A OPTICAL CABLE FOR THIS SOLUTION.

QUOTED FOR TRUTH!

MADGAME

Not to hijack your thread OP, just reading through all this glorious information and wondering if open or closed backs are better for gaming?

xezuru

Not to hijack your thread OP, just reading through all this glorious information and wondering if open or closed backs are better for gaming?

It's mostly preference, the only big factors for closed imo is isolation so you don't hear your wife or baby crying and which also results on more bass in your head which can sometimes be good or bad depending on pads and model. Personally, I prefer open, they're more airy so sweat monsters get less of that, the sound is more natural because it basically isn't echo chamber sealed around your head and as a result usually has a more refined and open soundstage. All of this is always varied and dependent on headphone model/pads/and scenario but I would say they are semi-noticable to medium-fi people people easily.

Skelter

Banned
What is your use case? If you want virtual surround, your options differ. Schiit is usually a good choice for starting out, as they have good entry level stuff.

For surround, you'll probably end up getting a sound card. Asus STX cards have Dolby Surround, Creative's higher-end sound cards have SBX.

Just for gaming. I'd definitely surround sound since I like to play on my tv with my surround sound setup.

Any portable amps you'd recommend purely for listening to music? The difference between an MP3 and high quality flac file sounds incredible and if it can sound even better, I'm all for trying an amp.

Akronis

Just for gaming. I'd definitely surround sound since I like to play on my tv with my surround sound setup.

Any portable amps you'd recommend purely for listening to music? The difference between an MP3 and high quality flac file sounds incredible and if it can sound even better, I'm all for trying an amp.

Depends on your budget. Creative made some pretty good strides with their higher-end DAC/amp in the X7 although it's $400. Probably the best you can do for an all-in-one surround sound package (THAT I'M AWARE OF). ASUS Xonar Essence STX I or II is another option, but it's a PCI-E card and still quite pricey. The Creative uses SBX for surround processing while the ASUS uses Dolby Surround. There are some comparison videos online that give you a decent idea of the differences.

For portable audio, I use an Oppo HA-2. Very very very good DAC and amp. Also pretty pricey though, around $300. For a more entry level solution the Fiio E10k is probably more than enough and it's only ~$80. I am unsure of how powerful the amp is though.

SOLDIER

Are there any good WIRELESS gaming headsets?

Any time someone makes a thread about the Playstation Gold or Platinum headsets, there's tons of posts criticizing how shit they are while seldom listing an alternative.

If there's a really good (and affordable) wireless headset that works on most of the consoles (or at least PS4 and PC), I would like to know about it. I had bought the Platinum headset but may return it as it's really tight around my head, to the point of uncomfortableness.

anddo0

Any time someone makes a thread about the Playstation Gold or Platinum headsets, there's tons of posts criticizing how shit they are while seldom listing an alternative.

If there's a really good (and affordable) wireless headset that works on most of the consoles (or at least PS4 and PC), I would like to know about it. I had bought the Platinum headset but may return it as it's really tight around my head, to the point of uncomfortableness.

If you don't mind stereo

LucidSound LS40
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LXZECA6/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Logitech G933 Artemis Spectrum
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0148NPJ78/?tag=neogaf0e-20

SteelSeries Arctis 7
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LYNEIEI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Razer ManO'War
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DPS4QQ2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

xezuru

Allow me to be a piece of shit but honestly you could probably just pair the aforementioned Philips SHP 9500s with a bluetooth adapter and still decently blow away most gaming solutions.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MJMV0GU/?tag=neogaf0e-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007Q45EF4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

That said, console drivers are dubious and arbitrarily selective, that's why I recommend amazon, because if for some reason Sony PS4 is fucking stupid and don't recognize that bluetooth usb you can return it easily.
Edit: Also the VModa Boom Pro solution mentioned earlier also works with plugging it into the controller, so it's an option but damn it hurts writing this as an old man stuck to the dominance of wired.

So I game on a PS4 Pro and PC.

Right now my setup is the Astro A40s(2013ver) with the new MixampTR. Ive been happy with the overall package but really want to look for a better soundstage and better overall mic performance.

I also listen to music alot across all my devices, but my phone is the primary device for that.

What would be some recommendations? Budget wise would be something for more mid to highend if that makes sense. Something between 200 to 500 i think.

Thanks in advance!

Nothing with surround?

Alternatively I'll listen to any surround+wired alternatives, if I can connect them to the controller directly.
The Logitech G933 does "virtual surround sound". I haven't tried them, but I've done a bit of research looking for my next pair of headphones.

Depending on the reviewer, they'll either say that the virtual surround is rather good, especially for FPS' or completely useless on any headphones.

But overall, the G933 have gotten very good reviews, only con is they can slip off your head rather easily if you lean too much.

I've personally narrowed my search down to the G933, Razer Man o'War and Creative EVO zxr. They each have their pros and cons. Hard decision. Of course there are better options, like SteelSeries 800, but they are prohibitively expensive and hard to justify.

Yeah, I get that their are better solutions than a "gamer" headset, like mic and headphone combos, but I don't want to fuck around with different pieces, I want it all in one. Wireless headset is supposed to make it easier, not more complicated.

EDIT: sorry, I just noticed you said connect to the controller. So you want surround on console? Not sure which one's do that. G933 definitely doesn't.

I like the look of the V-Modas a lot. Of course if you get the boom mic it won't be wireless. I think the retractable mic like in the steelseries is the most elegant solution so far, but.. Is the mic quality really good enough?

Wireless phones is one thing, but making wireless headsets that doesn't compromise on sound quality, battery, charging, cost, build quality. It's a tall order.

SOLDIER

The Logitech G933 does "virtual surround sound". I haven't tried them, but I've done a bit of research looking for my next pair of headphones.

Depending on the reviewer, they'll either say that the virtual surround is rather good, especially for FPS' or completely useless on any headphones.

But overall, the G933 have gotten very good reviews, only con is they can slip off your head rather easily if you lean too much.

I've personally narrowed my search down to the G933, Razer Man o'War and Creative EVO zxr. They each have their pros and cons. Hard decision. Of course there are better options, like SteelSeries 800, but they are prohibitively expensive and hard to justify.

Yeah, I get that their are better solutions than a "gamer" headset, like mic and headphone combos, but I don't want to fuck around with different pieces, I want it all in one. Wireless headset is supposed to make it easier, not more complicated.

EDIT: sorry, I just noticed you said connect to the controller. So you want surround on console? Not sure which one's do that. G933 definitely doesn't.

If possible I would like a wireless headset that also does surround sound. Basically the Gold, except I'm willing to pay a little more for a better alternative (and better build, given the flimsy hinges on the Gold).

If the G933 offers both then that'll be something I'll heavily consider.

EDIT: It also needs to fit nicely with the PSVR Headset.

I haven't had a bad experience with the Golds like others, and I have a large head. I never fold them up though which may make a difference.

I borrowed my friend's Sennheiser headset and it sounded pretty good.

Best value headset wise will always be the HyperX Cloud IIs for me, though sound wise I would always suggest a good pair of headphones and mic.

As a test me and my buddy took a pair of Superlux HD681s, and attached a mod mic. For $75 total it sounded amazing, and the mic was way better then most headset mics.

Has anybody used the Arctis line from Steelseries? They look amazing, but idk if I should drop $150 on the 7s and abandon my other headsets or not.

Muzicfreq

Banned
I haven't had a bad experience with the Golds like others, and I have a large head. I never fold them up though which may make a difference.

I borrowed my friend's Sennheiser headset and it sounded pretty good.

Best value headset wise will always be the HyperX Cloud IIs for me, though sound wise I would always suggest a good pair of headphones and mic.

As a test me and my buddy took a pair of Superlux HD681s, and attached a mod mic. For $75 total it sounded amazing, and the mic was way better then most headset mics.

Has anybody used the Arctis line from Steelseries? They look amazing, but idk if I should drop $150 on the 7s and abandon my other headsets or not.

I have the Arctis 5. essentially the same headset just wired. really nice since I can go from console to PC easily. Lightweight and comfy. the mute is nice and the microphone apparently is really clear.

As to durability I dunno which is why I bought the 2 year replacement plan for like $10 at best buy in case something happened.

I have the Arctis 5. essentially the same headset just wired. really nice since I can go from console to PC easily. Lightweight and comfy. the mute is nice and the microphone apparently is really clear.

As to durability I dunno which is why I bought the 2 year replacement plan for like $10 at best buy in case something happened.
That's good to know. I'm really leaning towards getting the 7s since it would be nice to have wireless still.

Not sure how much i could get out of selling good condition Uncharted Golds, and HyperX Cloud IIs though. I'm sure I could cover a good chunk at least.

Paragon

I've used both CMSS-3D and Dolby Headphones extensively (and listened to most of the others), and I don't believe it's worth the trade-offs in audio quality if you have good open headphones.
Virtual surround processing can change the sound somewhat, but I wouldn't say that the better systems degrade the audio quality.
Sound quality is not the main issue though - it's audio positioning.
One of the problems with stereo audio is that when you listen to it using headphones, sounds played in each ear are completely isolated from one another - whether you have open headphones or not.
One of the cues that our brains use to locate sounds is the time delay between when a sound hits one ear and then the other.
Headphones completely lose this without any audio processing, which puts the sound "inside your head" and can make things sound unnatural.

This is why a number of high-end headphone amplifiers include a "crossfeed" feature: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Rn3siX93fM
But crossfeed is not all that virtual surround does - it's only a part of it.
Adding crossfeed to a stereo signal is an improvement, but is still not as good as a device converting a 5.1/7.1 source to a binaural signal.

Processing 5.1/7.1 channels of information is a far cry from the direct API support of the past, where the game itself would directly report the coordinates of the sound (I believe 128 channels was the maximum at the time), and translate that down to binaural stereo.

The 5.1/7.1 approach however muddies the sound, and depending on the implementation can sometimes come across as being inside a cave or tin box. There is also no vertical information, limiting the virtual surround sound to the horizontal plane. If I had to pick though, I'd say CMSS-3D is the best one of those.
This is a false equivalency, since there is no vertical component to stereo sound either.

Stereo audio positions sounds along a horizontal line that goes right through the middle of your head when you're using headphones.
Surround sound positions audio in a flat 2D ring outside of your head.
3D audio can position sounds in a sphere around your head.

But outside of old PC games, and a handful of newer games (typically games built for VR) very few games use 3D audio.
The headphone audio that you get from the majority of games is a stereo sound mix.
So neither the stereo sound or virtual surround options are going to give you vertical positioning - but virtual surround gives you much better positional audio.

Stereo audio on a pair of headphones gives you very directional sound - that is to say, sounds will be very strongly pushed to either the left or right side of the headphones, and there is generally a point where a sound source flips from one ear to the other.
However that is not good positional information. Good positional audio is being able to hear whether something is in front or behind you. At a 60° angle or a 30° angle from your current view. Not just very obviously pushed towards one of the channels.

And finally, there have been a few games recently which have implemented software-based virtual surround sound directly, which can obviously be used with whichever DAC you wish. A few that come to mind are Overwatch, Elite: Dangerous, Resident Evil 7, and VR games. Overwatch uses Dolby Atmos and Elite: Dangerous uses DTS Headphone:X. Both of these are object-based surround sound technologies, which means it can do what I mentioned previously of picking sound coordinates instead of only using 5.1/7.1 channels, and this obviously includes height information as well.
Yes, 3D audio is best and that's why I still have an old X-Fi card in my PC for CMSS-3D in supported games despite that being a pain to use on Windows 10.
But only a handful of games use 3D audio. The majority are only using stereo sound in their "headphone" mode - if they even have one.

I got the Phillips SHP9500S a few hours ago. Been listening for the past hour or so.

They're... ok!

The highs seem a little veiled. And the bass is missing or really weak. The sound is pretty good if I turn up the volume. Does that mean I need a DAC/amp?

The songs I've listened to thus far:
Faded - Zhu
Pussy - Iggy Azalea
That Part - Schoolboy Q
Royals - Lorde
Black & Yellow - Wiz Khalifa
Sweet Dreams - Eurythmics
Treasure - Bruno Mars
Hotline Blind - Drake

Arulan

Virtual surround processing can change the sound somewhat, but I wouldn't say that the better systems degrade the audio quality.
Sound quality is not the main issue though - it's audio positioning.

Headphones completely lose this without any audio processing, which puts the sound "inside your head" and can make things sound unnatural.

There is definitely some sound quality degradation. Even with CMSS-3D, which is the best of one of these. I can only offer my anecdotal experience though. For what it's worth, it seems to be fairly agreed upon in audiophile communities. You do gain positional information, but at the expense of quality.

I don't know if you have open-back headphones, but the large soundstage characteristic of them makes it so sounds don't sound like they're inside your head. It's precisely this reason why if you're dead set on using virtual surround sound, open headphones actually make them sound better by giving them more "space" to work with (soundstage, seperation, etc.).

This is a false equivalency, since there is no vertical component to stereo sound either.

So neither the stereo sound or virtual surround options are going to give you vertical positioning - but virtual surround gives you much better positional audio.

Yes, 3D audio is best and that's why I still have an old X-Fi card in my PC for CMSS-3D in supported games despite that being a pain to use on Windows 10.
But only a handful of games use 3D audio. The majority are only using stereo sound in their "headphone" mode - if they even have one.

I wasn't comparing it to Stereo.

Yes, for old DirectSound3D and OpenAL games, CMSS-3D is fantastic.

I hope more games use object-based virtual surround sound (3D audio), and it looks like the adoption of VR will further this goal.

My argument is simply this: Unless you can get good 3D audio, I don't feel the trade-offs in audio quality for positioning are worth it for virtual surround sound that uses 5.1/7.1 channels of information (CMSS-3D for modern games, Dolby Headphones, THX TruStudio, Razer Surround, etc.) when using good open-headphones. Stereo with a large soundstage is already very good for directional positioning and sound seperation. If you don't have good (ideally open) headphones, then it might be worth it, in my opinion. Although as I said earlier, open headphones actually make virtual surround sound implementations better. Anyways, it's up to user-preference.

For the love of god don't buy Turtle Beach branded plastic crap (at least all of the ones I've held in my hand have been). If you are on a budget take a look of the Kingston HyperX series. If your budget is higher, see all the recomendations on this thread.

Anyway, what kind of headphones do you want? Wireless, wired, open, closed..?

I guess wired , whats open and closed I just want to hear the game ambientation

Okay, I was planning on creating this thread so I'm glad it came up. I've been reading people's responses but still feel a bit overwhelmed with all the info and what products to get. Forgive me, I really don't know anything about good audio.

I would like to get these headphones: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0042A8CW2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

For the mic, something like this would work, correct? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BJ17WKK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

What else do I need to be able to use this setup with my PS4 and Xbox One (I don't have a gaming PC)? Somebody mentioned getting an amp and then there might be a converter needed for the Xbox.

I got the Phillips SHP9500S a few hours ago. Been listening for the past hour or so.

They're... ok!

The highs seem a little veiled. And the bass is missing or really weak. The sound is pretty good if I turn up the volume. Does that mean I need a DAC/amp?

The songs I've listened to thus far:
Faded - Zhu
Pussy - Iggy Azalea
That Part - Schoolboy Q
Royals - Lorde
Black & Yellow - Wiz Khalifa
Sweet Dreams - Eurythmics
Treasure - Bruno Mars
Hotline Blind - Drake

Your initial I impressions are likely due to you being used to gaming headsets before this. The highs on the 9500s are anything but veiled, some even think they are piercing or sibilant. For me they are only piercing on certain sources, but on my E10k DAC they are not.

I thought they had a lack of bass initially too. While they are considered bass light, they are accurate and tight. You are probably used to over emphasized, boomy bass from previous headsets.

Give them a listen exclusively for a few days and you will find it difficult to go back to what you had before.

You made an awesome choice.

Hi GAF,

Based on the discussion here, I wonder which signal chain would provide a better sound quality for high end headphones. DAC unit is often recommended here, but is that a case when the TV or console does not have a 3,5mm jack output?

My question is if there is a noticable difference between these two signal chains:

PS4 --> HDMI --> TV (Sony KDL-43W800D) that has 3.5mm jack out --> headphones

or

PS4 --> optical out --> DAC (FiiO D03K TAISHAN) 3.5mm line out --> headphones

In other words, does it make sense for me to buy a DAC unit if I can use my TV's analog output? If it does, is there a qualitative difference between DAC taking an audio signal from optical and HDMI?

Top Bottom