• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beyond: Two Souls - Review Thread

omg but wear is gamezzzzzz?!?!?!?!

Clusterfuck incoming. Expecting maximum shitting from the likes of Polygon and Gamecentral among others.

It will make for another delicious thumb in the eyes if it ends up being as successful as Heavy Rain though.

edit: Fuck me at the Polygon review... call up Brandon Lee and invite him around to prepare some pie. Looks like I'm eating well tonight.

Being wrong about stuff fucking sucks :mad:

Kusagari

So is this actually worse than the abomination known as Heavy Rain or are reviewers giving it the scores they should have given that mess?

GetemMa

This review is kind of a joke.

It reads like a preview not a review and it is about 360 words the vast majority of which is not a review.

The only part of it I would call a "review" is this

During game play at first I was a little disoriented when switching between Jodie and Aiden, something I picked up on very fast. There were times I was a little confused from the quick-time action sequences and sometime the camera would shift in and out from one scene to another and cutting out the character on screen but nothing major to report really.

This is definitely an experience not to be missed as it brings both cinema and gaming into one beautiful visionary delight.

I can't really trust a review like this.

For those who have played it: if I really enjoyed Heavy Rain and Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy despite the missteps, will I like this game? I've already bought it, but was curious.

Elios83

It seems like a few people loved it while others hated it. So it's really down to the personal preferences.
That happens when you're doing something non conventional.

Jackpot

Banned
One character, for example, is introduced in an early scene as a cold, unlikable hardass, right before we skip to Jodie falling in love with him years later. She tells us -- through Aiden -- that he's so funny, and great to be around, but we never see any evidence of this. The best he becomes is a generic love interest with no distinguishing features. If we have to be told what a character's personality is, without the character ever exhibiting a single trait pertaining to its verbal description, the writing has failed completely.

hmm.

Also, in the homeless scenario, can someone confirm that cars now have particle effects and churn snow when they move? That really stood out to me as missing in the preview event.

dream

The Verge likes it a lot.

Jodie feels so much like a person because you're right there with her in the most important chapters of her life. You become emotionally invested in a way few games have ever managed. That’s partly because you feel responsible for the choices you’ve made for her, and partly because most of the game’s performances are worthy of your emotion. The expressions on teenage Jodie's freckled face are incredible to behold as she goes from shy to cautious to naively excited about attending a birthday party, her first extended contact with others her age. Even when you're actively controlling her movements, Jodie's gait is full of emotion: obviously enraged, determined, heartbroken, bored, and many more depending on the circumstances.

Still, Beyond: Two Souls is a gorgeous sendoff for the PlayStation 3, as well-crafted a game as we've seen on the system. A surprising number of objects stand up to close scrutiny. You can see everything in the mirror in Jodie's room, watch bits of real cartoons and sports matches on the TV screen, read the headlines in a newspaper, and look at all the little bumpers under the glass top of a pinball machine. The shadowy arms over Jodie's bed as a young girl feel astoundingly real, as does the way rain trickles down the sides of a car. When you visit the scene of a catastrophe, the game makes you feel the raw intensity, playing with depth of field and swaying the camera slightly to make the bright flashing lights of ambulances and the bustle of emergency personnel seem as blinding and disorienting as they must actually be. It’s times like these where it’s clear that Beyond is more than the sum of its parts, that Quantic Dream has successfully managed to meld a fun, accessible game with a movie and built something thrilling in the process.

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
I am not usually one to moan about review scores but that 5/10 just seems like someone who fundamentally doesn't like this type of game.

Derrick01

Banned
After reading the NY times and destructoid review it's now 100% confirmed that Cage needs to step down or at the very least remove his total control over a project. He NEEDS a team of writers next time.

Gannd

Banned
This is a game that the movement gamers will ove. They don't want video games to be video games but interactive "experiences" it isn't about this title but the movement, man.

Fully expected the reviews to be all over the place. I think that, despite the problems, this is still something you should experience. It's massively ambitious, and is worth playing for that reason.

http://www.pushsquare.com/reviews/ps3/beyond_two_souls

Beyond: Two Souls’ imperfections don’t necessarily add to the title’s appeal, but this is still a game that you should experience irrespective of its flaws. While the plot takes a number of questionable turns, the outrageously ambitious subject matter, coupled with the release’s downright staggering technological achievements, make Quantic Dream’s current generation opus worth examining all the same.

Essery

Ouch, as far as review scores it won't do as well as Heavy Rain....

Oh well, won't fase me, I have to wait though, gotta import from US to avoid whatever "censoring" Sony chose to do.

Despera

Banned
After reading the NY times and destructoid review it's now 100% confirmed that Cage needs to step down or at the very least remove his total control over a project. He NEEDS a team of writers next time.
Play the game before 100%ing anything...

EDGE 5 http://www.edge-online.com/review/beyond-two-souls-review/

What a shame given the extent to which Beyond reflects its developer’s recognition of its past mistakes. This is a far more systemically diverse game than Heavy Rain, and its story is certainly more believably told through Holmes, Dafoe and a fine supporting cast. Yet this is a game almost entirely bereft of tension, one in which failure goes largely unpunished and is almost always inconsequential. There is emotion here, but it’s felt passively, as spectator instead of player. And at the game’s climax, when Quantic Dream falls back on old habits and has you guide Holmes through a supernatural storm by mashing buttons on demand, it’s hard to feel anything at all. The studio’s commendable dream – of a marriage of mechanics and storytelling that takes videogames to new emotional heights – remains out of reach, and the rivers of photorealistic tears aren’t quite enough to make up for it.

Grief.exe

From the Eurogamer review

Perhaps what David Cage and his dream need are limitations - limitations that Sony's blank cheque has singularly failed to impose on this sprawling, over-reaching game.

Strikes me as ironic considering that Quantic Dream is famous for their low budget releases. This is probably one of their more expensive productions, but they probably still did it on a lower budget to comparable AAA releases.

GetemMa

Lol reviewers are so frustrating at times. "It would be the worst movie you have ever seen", of course it would, it's a 10 hour game.

That's not what they mean.

The length has nothing to do with it. They are saying that for a game that is trying to be like a movie, it is a poor movie in terms of plot, story structure, dialogue, and character development.

Fabrik

Banned

You are evil lol

image.php

Empty

i don't really like david cage's games or philosophy but it's nice that we have someone in games that can make games that are this divisive and really challenge the idea of a "critical consensus"

LAA

Wow pretty shocked at reviews...
Out of curiosity, what were the reviews like for Heavy Rain?

Heavy Rain is probably one of the most memorable experiences on PS3 to me, so I was expecting Beyond to be at least more of that. Hope thats still something I can expect.

He's the guy who awarded a Call of Duty game 9.5, yet gave Mario Kart 7 a 5/10 for being unadventurous and predictable.

Yeah... I like what Jim says a lot, but that... I can't forget that.
What I remember more was that he called COD "innovative" and said MK7 wasnt... I think MK could be more innovative at times, but its still A HELL of a lot more innovative at COD's attempts (...What attempts?)

Top Bottom