• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beyond: Two Souls - Review Thread

DerZuhälter;85308928 said:
Well to his defense, considering the choice possibilities Heavy Rain was still admirable overall in terms of story. Yeah some scenes where rough around the edges and felt linguistically unnatural, but uneven VA-performances pronounced these shortcomings even further.

Does Beyond offer different endings as did Heavy Rain or is it a linear experience without impactful choices?

I think Beyond has 12 endings.

kazebyaka

Banned
Last nail in the coffin of Cage's writing career. It's his last game as a writer, so I'm fairly optimistic for the future.

Man its weird seeing these reviews after I LOVED the demo.

Glad I got in and preordered for the special edition

Eurogamer has failed in its assessment of 2 of my past games in their scores, so I have a feeling this will be my third

Zia

Game's a hot mess. A direct-to-DVD thriller as Dragon's Lair. Expecting 5s and 6s from outlets like Edge, Eurogamer and Polygon.

Edit: Oh, the embargo is up.

Interesting scores. Gonna try to rent it this week, I liked Heavy Rain enough to play Cage's latest endeavor. Hopefully I can get some friends to join me, we marathoned Heavy Rain together.

newjeruse

Wow. An actual polarizing game. That's usually reserved for games that really stretch the review scale between 8 and 10.

DrChicken

Neo Member
zqmSN.gif

So confused..

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Here is my review after playing the demo.

I didn't know anything about the game before downloading the demo. Literally nothing. After downloading the demo and 'playing' it I can confidently say that this 'game' is not for me. It looks pretty and does some interesting things graphically but it controls like a bitch and the gameplay mechanics displayed in the game demo are not fun.

There, my review. Won't buy. Side note from what I played I have a guess that it is a David Cage game. I haven't been interested enough to find out if I'm right or not.

Interfectum

Maybe this will force him to leave the gaming industry for good this time.

Why does someone doing their own thing offend you so much? Do you want every game developer to just fall in line what what you think a game should be?

Why not just ignore his games and move on with your life?

Normally, I don't wait on reviews if I'm interested in picking something up prior to release, but considering my past love/hate for Cage's interactive stories released as 'games' so far, it definitely looks like I'll be waiting on a hefty discount on this version or, perhaps, the PS4 edition, instead. Sounds like a fucking trainwreck with interesting and neat bits and bobs, like the past QD games, but still a mess not worthy of the full price.

10/10 and 4/10 for the same game. Actually I love this. I find the game brilliant, but I would love to see score ranges like this all the time.

Since it is mostly about the story, the review literally reflects if the author enjoyed the story or not.

Einbroch

Banned
If you like these games, you'll like this. If you don't, you won't.

Did anyone really expect this to get universal praise or dismissal? These games are some of the most divisive games out there.

GameZone 7.5

Beyond: Two Souls is like you're playing a movie. Cinematic narrative is definitely the driving force behind the game, but it's aided by competent gameplay that enhances the experience. Beyond: Two Souls is not without a few technical issues, but it's a wonderful example that story and gameplay can coexist within a video game.

Globox_82

Banned
I already ordered my copy so I don't care about reviews. No surprise here. Some people love his games (like my self), some hate them

maverick40

I just finished the game last night and absolutely loved it! Some of the best performances in the industry and the story is truely unique.

AHA-Lambda

This is a game that the movement gamers will ove. They don't want video games to be video games but interactive "experiences" it isn't about this title but the movement, man.

Umm, no? I love games like Gone Home and The Walking Dead but I am very dubious of this game cos Fahrenheit and Heavy Rain were both terribly written.

Heavy Rain had problems, but its central conundrum was enough to pull users through the experience. Beyond has no such draw: there's no mystery to Jodie and Aiden's relationship, nor is there to her power: everyone seems to know about it. The motivations of your supporting characters - CIA spooks, shifty scientists - are telegraphed too early to surprise or excite.

I stopped reading after this. Really? I thought just the beyond demo was better than heavy rain as a whole. Better music, graphics and controls.

The fact that the review scores are all over the place makes me want to play it more than if it just got all 9/10s.
Yep. A game that pleases everyone is most likely not original or innovative. If the scores are all over the place, it means it actually tried to do something particular. As Churchill once said : 'You have enemies? Good, that means that, at least once in your life, you stood up for something.'

Don't look for validation in review scores (you'll be disappointed by the negative reviews), look for a debate.

iammeiam

yet another game that showcases the valuelessness of review scores

Eh, I'd argue review scores are more useful for a title like this than normal. You can get a quick visual representation of how insanely divisive the game is, which prompts reading the text to understand why. The problem with scores usually is that they all exist in the 7-10 range and don't convey much.

It does make Metacritic extra useless in this situation, though.

Top Bottom