• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beyond: Two Souls - Review Thread

ItIsOkBro

It's like reviews treat it as whatever makes it worse.

Ex. 'the story would be bad for a movie'...in the same review 'the level of interaction is bad for a game'

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Is Chris Suellentrop the only person who reviews games in NYT? His reviews are always good to read. I've first seen his writing in TLOU review, and while I disagreed with his conclusion and thought his line of thinking was a bit forced, and thus pretty easy to argue against, I also thought it was cool how he was able to bring that level of discussion about the game, which was IMO exactly what the game needed. An actual critical discussion beyond just mechanics.

Derrick01

Banned
Yep. A game that pleases everyone is most likely not original. If the scores are all over the place, it means it actually tried to do something particular. As Churchill once said : 'You have enemies? Good, that means that, at least once in your life, you stood up for something.'

There are not enough eyes in the world to roll for this.

LordJim

Score variance indicates who is actually impressed by this hackjob of a story and who is not.
Excellent performance by Page, Daffoe and the other actors can salvage only so much.

Here is my review after playing the demo.

I didn't know anything about the game before downloading the demo. Literally nothing. After downloading the demo and 'playing' it I can confidently say that this 'game' is not for me. It looks pretty and does some interesting things graphically but it controls like a bitch and the gameplay mechanics displayed in the game demo are not fun.

There, my review. Won't buy. Side note from what I played I have a guess that it is a David Cage game. I haven't been interested enough to find out if I'm right or not.
Not you too boss:(

ViviOggi

Which is a good thing, since Beyond is a game.

image.php

Andrew.

Banned
Yep. A game that pleases everyone is most likely not original or innovative. If the scores are all over the place, it means it actually tried to do something particular. As Churchill once said : 'You have enemies? Good, that means that, at least once in your life, you stood up for something..

Homer-yells-nerd.gif

Looks like Ill be saving myself 60+ dollhairs this week.

" It would be one of the worst movies you’ve ever seen" - NY Times.

To be fair, video games pretty much all fall into this category when you look at them for storytelling and writing quality. When your game is all about emulating that medium, however, the sting of that comment really should be noteworthy.

Kyon

Banned
Last nail in the coffin of Cage's writing career. It's his last game as a writer, so I'm fairly optimistic for the future.

Your post is a damn mess. Also you seem pressed about something you never cared about.

A guy making his own games in his vision really makes people fume

I have to ask, is the PS4 game still written by Cage? I don't have a problem with this kind of game as a concept, but this level of SyFy miniseries/straight-to-DVD sci-fi thriller level of storytelling has got to stop.

Polygon:

The Last Of Us - 7.5

Beyond: Two Souls - 8

Gamespot:

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - 7.5
The Last Of Us - 8.0
Beyond: Two Souls - 9.0

Same reviewer too. Pardon me for questioning the legitimacy of his opinion.

Yep. A game that pleases everyone is most likely not original or innovative. If the scores are all over the place, it means it actually tried to do something particular. As Churchill once said : 'You have enemies? Good, that means that, at least once in your life, you stood up for something.'

image.php

Derrick01

Banned
I have to ask, is the PS4 game still written by Cage? I don't have a problem with this kind of game as a concept, but this level of SyFy miniseries/straight-to-DVD sci-fi thriller level of storytelling has got to stop.

Someone just said he's already written 50% of the next game. I don't know how true that is but I'm hoping it's not. The guy's not learning from his many repeated mistakes.

Gsnap

Game was always a rental for me, regardless of the reviews. Heavy Rain was just ok, and I only really had fun with it because I played it with 3 other people and we each picked a character that would be ours to control.

Metal B

Yep. A game that pleases everyone is most likely not original or innovative. If the scores are all over the place, it means it actually tried to do something particular. As Churchill once said : 'You have enemies? Good, that means that, at least once in your life, you stood up for something.'
Critics are not enemies! They want to have a good time and see the medium grow like everybody else. Sometimes this means to point out problems and only an idiot would shot his ears before a seriously meant and thoughtful opinion.

Don't look for validation in review scores (you'll be disappointed by the negative reviews), look for a debate.

Lost Planet 3 was a masterpiece.

The reviews seem to be "how much can you look passed the lack of gameplay or its flaws"

Some reviewers got over that and scored it high and enjoyed, some didn't and it ruined their experience of it

Timeaisis

It's really not surprising this is so mixed. Many people wouldn't even consider this a game, it's very much for a targeted audience. I'm honestly quite surprised Heavy Rain did as well as it did, commercially and critically, considering it's the same kind of game.

Eh...I was never really interested in this, anyway. Heavy Rain wasn't my cup of tea.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I assume people who seriously don't consider this to be a game, and don't post that in jest, have never played something like Myst.

Silky

Banned
Mixed reviews! Conflicting opinions!

I'll grab it on a sale. I don't really /need/ this game as of now. Demo was damn sure entertaining.

To be fair, video games pretty much all fall into this category when you look at them for storytelling and writing quality. When your game is all about emulating that medium, however, the sting of that comment really should be noteworthy.

Hmmm, personally I think there are ton of films out there which have flat out terrible stories as well...many are big budget and play to the basest cliches. Games get rightful flack, but the intellectual content and originality in many big release films is lower than a hobbit in a side car...

Top Bottom