• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beyond: Two Souls - Review Thread

Milennia

There's 20-something endings apparently. But when the writing is so bad I don't see how it matters.

Its around 3 endings, but only 2 final big endings.

The story of the game i thought, was absolutlety moving.
The ending was fantastic and really brought the story into perspective IMO.

There are some scenes i wasnt too fond of, but the ending and the scenes leading up to it, really saved the game for me.

It was an interesting experience.

The controls arent really why i played this ( i liked heavy rain) , i played this for the story purely, and wasnt dissapointed on that front ( other than about 2 of the games mid game scenes). I pretty much just ignored the control scheme really, nothing was difficult and it was simple executing even the fastest of prompts.(exact heavy rain controls, other than aiden who has a free floating control scheme, aiden is basically what broke the button prompt monotony for me, i really enjoyed exploring what i could do with him.)

Game is gorgeous nothing bad to say on that front.

Acting was great, i thought the problem was from some of the mid game writing..... The actors seemed to have hit their lines fairly well.

Also... Dat ending once again.

Game was really emotional for me, but i tend to love more story driven games than most it seems, so take from that what you will.

Yopis

Redbox has this game, y'all. Rent it if you're unsure. That's what I'm doing.

Went to get some Pepsi on the way to buy the game in the store. Saw in Redbox on way out. Will try for a few hours before I buy. Got and loved Heavy Rain day one.

He clearly means it is poorly written.

The review didn't say that explicitly. Games play scenes out entirely different than movies, in Beyond Two Souls a single scene could have several different outcomes, with most or all of them leading to the same point still. And there will many things to interact with that movies would never bother with. You can't compare movie writing to this, it doesn't work. Movies would never spend the amount of time a game does on a single scene and it certainly wouldn't have scenes play out differently depending on player input. So the reviewer comparing it to a movie, to me, invalidates his/her entire opinion. this is a game and review as such. The word movie should never be used in the review.

Also I have only played the demo, but in the demo alone the level of interactivity was really great, and I felt in control of how a scene would play out so I don't understand the complaints that it is a passive experience with little player input. More confusing is that there are sites saying the opposite. To be expected I suppose, everyone probably saw a mixed bag coming. Guess the wife and I will find out how we feel about it when we play through together.

BeeDog

:lol, and my copy just arrived. Ah well, will be interesting to go through this game myself, but won't have time for that today, nor tomorrow it seems. :(

This game will prove how worthless game reviewers are.

If TLOU can get 10s across the board by simply having the most repetitive gaming mechanics played out over and over again through 10 hours, I don't see why this game isn't getting 10s.

"It would be one of the worst movies you’ve ever seen"

I have watched every syfy channel film

May god restore your faith in mankind.

And I think this shows that no one cares for a story anymore in gaming, which is what David is good at giving you.

dc89

Rio Ferdinand review:

iefponuJhi4FT.gif

LordJim

If TLOU can get 10s across the board by simply having the most repetitive gaming mechanics played out over and over again through 10 hours, I don't see why this game isn't getting 10s.

Actually better writing , maybe?

Astarte

Oh geez, sterling slammed Beyond really hard. I expected a higher score from him; I thought he enjoyed unique experiences. But then again, deadly premonition is an unmatched game in quirk.

Derrick01

Banned

There's also an incredibly strong chance that TLoU has far superior writing than this. That's something that was almost universally praised by reviewers, unlike this game.

Majine

Banned
As expected, being a passive participant is the overall main criticism. When you take away the interactivity of the user, you're not making use of your space in the medium, Mr. Cage.

Silky

Banned

How do you compare a shooter to a point/click adventure

kazebyaka

Banned

At least TLOU had polished gameplay or traditional gameplay at all, for that matter. It also had a competently written story. It was all around a strong, competent game.

Mr. RHC

Many people wouldn't even consider this a game.

Who is "many"? If Monkey Island is a game so is every other adventure game or visual novel or "cinematic interactive experience" concepted as game.

There is no other definition for a video game.

Green Yoshi

I don't care about the review scores, because it is a matter of taste if you like such "games". Not every game should be like Indigo Prophecy, Heavy Rain or Bayond, but it feels good to play these kind of games every few years.

But I won't be too sad about about The Nomad Soul 2 on PS4 with larger worlds and more to do for the players.

mishakoz

Wow, all over the spectrum. Gametrailers gave it a 7.2, which was in line with what they said in the review and some of the things discussed make sense as annoying, such as inaction (not pressing a prompt) not resulting in anything, unlike The Walking Dead where it could.

Ill probably be picking up this game down the line. Really thought Heavy Rain was a unique experience, but they should have figured out a way to grow more in this game.

zroid

Banned
Oh geez, sterling slammed Beyond really hard. I expected a higher score from him; I thought he enjoyed unique experiences. But then again, deadly premonition is an unmatched game in quirk.

I think Jim gave Heavy Rain a decent score (like 7) because of its uniqueness. Actually he's often praised it for its uniqueness, despite claiming to dislike the game a lot. I guess the "uniqueness" factor was lost with Beyond, while the "game" did not fare any better in his view.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
its all about opinions right? or just trying to be different.

He did it now twice.

Dude we are talking about 8's and 9's here. It's not that he trashed one game and totally hyped the other. Why people are so hung up by these scores is beyond me. If you really want to see a reviewtroll in action look up Armond White.

it's a david cage game so i'm going to guess that it has a disjointed narrative that jumps all over the place, a plot that doesn't really fit together right if you look at it for more than 2 seconds, characters that we're constantly supposed to admire or sympathize with even when they're mostly bland archetypes thrown into crazy situations and have their frowning backed by sad string music, and a lot of wandering around and using the bathroom

yami4ct

Quantic Dream has some really good ideas. I like the way they make a different kind of game. Still, I don't know why they can't get writing that's consistently great. The main plot of Heavy Rain was so super dumb. Anyone should be able to realize that just by reading the basic outline. It should have been fixable. It's great they're trying to do some great, emotional stuff, but get the writing to back it up.

DangerStepp

Was never really hyped for the this so the reviews are sitting aight with me.

Will wait for bargain bin/Christmas list.

Metal B

Who is "many"? If Monkey Island is a game so is every other adventure game or visual novel or "cinematic interactive experience" concepted as game.
There is no other definition for a video game.
An Adventure like Monkey Island has puzzles, which will test your skills. A visual novel or "cinematic interactive experience" are part of the interactive medium like games, but there are not the same. The difference would many people save a lot of time and headaches. I still have no idea, why people have a problem with it. Your less a game-fan by enjoying other forms of entertainment ...

Top Bottom