• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BF4 demo at AMD event was running one 290X card @ higher than 3K resolution

The Nvidia Geforce GTX 465 released in 2010 with a die size of 529mm² for $279 (unmatured 40nm node). A Geforce Titan is only slightly bigger with 551mm² (matured 28nm node). ^_^

Thats because it was a salvage part. It was a GTX 480 with only 11 out of 15 SM's enabled. If nVidia didn't sell it at a lower price point they would have just been thrown out. The 480 was 499$ which was lower than nVidia would have liked because nVidia was facing price pressure from the AMD 5xxx series which was already mature and had a much smaller die. Titan is an anomaly and only produced in small quantities.

You are basing your perception of GPU prices on when AMD's small die strategy was in effect. The 4xxx series and 5xxx series where designed with performance per mm2 as a major focus and for two generations AMD was able to compete with nVidia with significantly smaller GPU's. Since then nVidia has erroded that advantage and AMD. Other then those two generations from AMD, new top of the line GPU's have been 500-600 dollars since 2004 at least.

ss_lemonade

I get around 60 fps at 4K with my 780, so I figure I'm set for a while.
Are you on dual 780s? I just tried downsampling 4k now (I thought it wouldn't work) and on single player BF3 with a single 780, I was hovering at 30fps a lot of times. Disabling MSAA bumps it up quite a bit but I can't seem to even get close to 60.

The image quality is insane though

Spazznid

Are you on dual 780s? I just tried downsampling 4k now (I thought it wouldn't work) and on single player BF3 with a single 780, I was hovering at 30fps a lot of times. Disabling MSAA bumps it up quite a bit but I can't seem to even get close to 60.

The image quality is insane though

Single player is a tad less optimized than multiplayer, I think. Also, at 4K, FXAA Doesn't suck so bad, and MSAA is less worth the performance hit. Look on the bottom of the last page, I posted some shots from a Vanilla Multiplayer level with 64 players. Almost constant 55+ fps with some dips to 40 in intense action.

I'm using a single 780, BTW. Also for what it's worth I disable Motion Blur.

Also, if you were hovering "at" 30, then maybe you have V-sync enabled? If so, the game will pull down to 30 unless you can hit 60 even.

Spazznid

So Ultra settings with AA disabled? What is your OC settings for the 780?

No OC atm. Haven't really messed with Overclocking since I started playing with Windows 8.1.

I just played single player with Ultra @ 4K with 4xMSAA and was getting a pretty stable 25-30. Without MSAA (Using FXAA or SMAA instead) I get 40-50. That's single player, though.

kartu

Banned
perf_oc.gif

This is how much faster Titan is over 7970GE
Well.... 80fps vs 100+ fps... I wouldn't care.

Gap is smaller once games start to really keep GPUs busy (a joke imo, considering titan costs 3+:more)
03_metro.png

If 290 is on par with 7990 at BF4, that's an amazing card.

TDP seems pretty high.

I have a 600W PSU. Would that be OK in my system or not?

Honestly I'm not the person to ask, the computer thread guys would be for sure though. I'm gona be asking them to help me with a gaming build soon.
and I would just use a 1200w on my build to be safe and have room for expansion.

The Mexinerd

Neo Member
Honestly I'm not the person to ask, the computer thread guys would be for sure though. I'm gona be asking them to help me with a gaming build soon.
and I would just use a 1200w on my build to be safe and have room for expansion.

1200w is overkill. Try 750w since things have vastly improved efficiency lately.

Top Bottom