• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BF4 demo at AMD event was running one 290X card @ higher than 3K resolution

kartu

Banned
So its not as powerful as a 7990?

If BF4 was showed in 4K then that is 8 251 200 pixels.
BF4 here in res 5760*1080 is only 6 220 800 pixels.

That is about 75 procent of 4K.

EDIT: Just for clarification my winter is going to have alot of nuddles in it.

It was 3K, so 18% less.
Also note that 7990 is about 20-25% faster than Titan (if you trust ixbt labs, which I do).

Smokey

Need a price. I'm pretty sure it won't be 1k though. I'd love to get two and keep my current Titan as a backup. Card is looking/sounding great so far.

Eusis

Nvidia typically has better driver features but AMD usually has a better price\performance ratio. Overclocking the 7950 to 7970 speeds should be cake. I guess you have to choose the solution that meets your needs within your budget.
Nvidia's actually been pissing me off driver-wise with how their new drivers seem to barely work with 4xx and 5xx cards. Is this sort of an anomaly for them, or have they gotten terrible about continued support of not-so-old cards?

ss_lemonade

So its not as powerful as a 7990?

If BF4 was showed in 4K then that is 8 251 200 pixels.
BF4 here in res 5760*1080 is only 6 220 800 pixels.

That is about 75 procent of 4K.

EDIT: Just for clarification my winter is going to have alot of nuddles in it.
When was BF4 shown running 4K resolutions on a 7990? IIRC, it was shown at a lower res than 5760x1080

Also, has a flagship single gpu of the next gen ever bested dual gpu setups one gen below?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Nvidia's actually been pissing me off driver-wise with how their new drivers seem to barely work with 4xx and 5xx cards. Is this sort of an anomaly for them, or have they gotten terrible about continued support of not-so-old cards?
It's hit or miss for both. Architecture reuse is the main reason why the older cards are seeing benefits from newer drivers, because that's definitely not the focus for AMD and Nvidia.

FACE

Banned
guys i need your help here. I dont think i want the 290x. I dont know yet. But i do want an upgrade from my XFX Double D 7950.
The problem with my xfx is that i cant even overclock it. Not even a little bit! it crashes the benchmark for some reason. So i googled a little bit and found out that they suck at overclocking.
I was thinking about selling my XFX and getting a sapphire because ive heard that they overclock really good. Maybe getting 2 sapphires and crossfire em and thats it or maybe 2 7970's or just wait for the R280's and do those instead but that would cost me the same as a R290x i guess, right?

I heard that if i crossfire the 7970's its gonna bottleneck my CPU. So whats the deal with the R290x then? Do i have to get an i7 if i get those or a R290x?

My setup right now:
FX 8350 (no oc)
XFX 7950 DD
16GB Gskill
MSI 970A-G46

iMmQhs07kWi8E.png

Minion101

Banned
Nvidia typically has better driver features but AMD usually has a better price\performance ratio. Overclocking the 7950 to 7970 speeds should be cake. I guess you have to choose the solution that meets your needs within your budget.

Yeah that's what I've been hearing. I decided I'd give up the nvidia control panel and injector for GCN architecture and mantle. (Nvidia may end up getting buggier due to the consoles using the GCN architecture?) Of course this could all just be PR bullshit. I fell for it with bulldozer and I regret it.

artist

Banned
Right the point you are missing is that we have already seen these archs in action and everything so far points to nvidia having better performance per size. Unless the 290 is a major major departure from it's original incarnation which history has shown us doesn't usually happen there's not much reason to think this card will be faster then the top end competition considering the size difference combined with kepler being more efficient.

Even the eeally great updates like fermi 2.0 were only a few percentage points faster per clock.

I also umderstand that many compute features were stripped out of the 680. I just still don't see it.
I'm not missing the point, you are.

What you are saying .. bigger die = better performance.

What I'm saying .. we need to know the configuration of the bigger die.

GK104 (680) doesnt have the fluff, big caches, DP performance etc. and is MUCH better than the GK110 (Titan) in terms of performance/mm2. AMD can make a Titan equivalent with a smaller die if they dont go for the same compute requirements like Titan's (& so can Nvidia).

I'm still running an old gtx285...would this card drop in to my machine? I have no idea what has changed since I built my old comp.

potam

Banned
So...is anyone else worried by the fact that they didn't include hard numbers on the 290x in the announcement?

This will hopefully show people how extremely far away PS4 and Xbox One are from high end pc.

Wii U + PC all the way

Also i am really eager to see how and if Steambox will change PC gaming. I, for one, will check out SteamOS day one.

Lmao....how much does this cost and how much does the PS4 cost.....exactly. Sony and Ms could of made cutting edge machines but it would be expensive and people will not buy it.

artist

Banned
I'm still running an old gtx285...would this card drop in to my machine? I have no idea what has changed since I built my old comp.
Your whole rig probably needs an upgrade. More than 4 years old?

So...is anyone else worried by the fact that they didn't include hard numbers on the 290x in the announcement?
No reason to worry. AMD/Nvidia wont release a card without letting the reviewers test and review it.

Your whole rig probably needs an upgrade. More than 4 years old?

No reason to worry. AMD/Nvidia wont release a card without letting the reviewers test and review it.

Yeah...pretty old now. i7920 on an Asus Rampage 2E, 16 gb RAM...can't even remember the type.

Eusis

It's sad that I already see people in threads stating they're going with AMD based on "Mantle". Marketing is doing its job very well.
I imagine it's more something of a tiebreaker or another angle being kept in mind, maybe they didn't care for PhysX, or AMD's offering a more appealing product for the amount of money necessary, or they had recent bad experiences with nVidia and want to see how this works out. More likely Mantle would just push something like BF4 from PS4 to PC "just in case" since at worst it'd still run better than PS4 anyway probably.

potam

Banned

Yeah, but it just seems to me that if the performance were significantly better than 780/Titan, they'd have been showing hard figures.

artist

Banned
Yeah, but it just seems to me that if the performance were significantly better than 780/Titan, they'd have been showing hard figures.
If they would, you would see people crying and begging people to take them with truckloads of salt and rightly so. AMD (& Nvidia) provided benchmarks are cherry picked, besides starting with 0.8 or 0.9 on the y-scale :p

kortez320

I'm not missing the point, you are.

What you are saying .. bigger die = better performance.

What I'm saying .. we need to know the configuration of the bigger die.

GK104 (680) doesnt have the fluff, big caches, DP performance etc. and is MUCH better than the GK110 (Titan) in terms of performance/mm2. AMD can make a Titan equivalent with a smaller die if they dont go for the same compute requirements like Titan's (& so can Nvidia).

I'm not saying a bigger die always means better performance I'm saying we have already seen 1.0 and if 2.0 follows in the footsteps of its predecessors there is not enough of a bump to topple big kep.

Regardless we will know who is right soon. Like I said I wouldn't mind being wrong. A six hundred dollar titan killer would shake up the market in an awesome way.

Lmao....how much does this cost and how much does the PS4 cost.....exactly. Sony and Ms could of made cutting edge machines but it would be expensive and people will not buy it.

I would rather pay $1K for a rig that could play games at more than twice the framerate, graphics, resolution and not have to pay for online play.

sam27368

Banned
I am torn between next gen and buying a new rig. I have a fairly powerful machine running SLi GTX 570's which has served me well the last couple of years. My reasoning for console is "dat exclusivity" and the more accessible price points means I can play with friends.

But still it's a tough call especially when info like this comes out

I am torn between next gen and buying a new rig. I have a fairly powerful machine running SLi GTX 570's which has served me well the last couple of years. My reasoning for console is "dat exclusivity" and the more accessible price points means I can play with friends.

But still it's a tough call especially when info like this comes out

Wait it out 6 months. Next gen will have started, the new AMD cards will be out, and you can see if there are any big exclusives coming out in the next year that you want.

You don't always have to rush into a decision you may regret a little later ;)

sam27368

Banned
Wait it out 6 months. Next gen will have started, the new AMD cards will be out, and you can see if there are any big exclusives coming out in the next year that you want.

You don't always have to rush into a decision you may regret a little later ;)
Voice of reason. You are absolutely correct,
I just hope my willpower will not get suckered in by lots of adverts with shiny colours.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
imagine what they could do if they used those resources in something other then pushing a crossgen game to 3k, then again it's nothing different to what people do with their high end PC's, still waiting to see Doom 1 in 4k ;-)
nah but seriously if I had a imax cinema for my gaming room, this is what I'd have :p

x3sphere

I'm sorry, but there's simply no way there is this amount of gain due to an API or "to the metal" coding or whatever you want to call it. When I quote ~90 FPS with 3x Titans at 5760x1080 I'm speaking in the literal sense and not the bullshit that most people spout because they see the FPS peak at that and call it that.

The demo could very well have peaked from time to time at 60 FPS - but there's no way the average is anywhere near that with a single card. Even with "Mantle".

I agree there, it probably wasn't a consistent 60. I'm not necessarily saying it's all thanks to Mantle either, BF4 surely has other optimizations so it may end up running better than BF3 in some areas.

I just can't imagine it was running at 30 FPS or something, considering they try and make things look as good as possible for press events like these. Seeing as BF4 is also targeting 60 on consoles, it seems like it would be really odd if it was running less than that at a PC-focused event.

No idea if Mantle will deliver and it definitely hasn't sold me on a 290x. I want to see numbers first.

SparkTR

Compared that to last gen launch when a $300 360 could match or outperform a $1500 PC, at least the price reflects what you're getting this time around.

maneil99

Compared that to last gen launch when a $300 360 could match or outperform a $1500 PC, at least the price reflects what you're getting this time around.

When Did the xbox launch for 299? And COD2 and nearly all the day one games looked worse then on PC. Get your nostalgia out of your eyes.

kartu

Banned

That's times when Athlon's reigned supreme, you could get a good mobo for 50 Euro etc etc.
I don't think so.

Ultra. I post regularly in the Screenshot threads.

Lowest it will go is 40, if there's a lot of crap being shot at my screen, and the stupid suppression effect.

Nice. You're set with that 780 for many years to come. I hope the Maxwell 870 is as powerful as a 780 or titan, because if it isn't there won't be a reason for me to upgrade from my two 670s.

Spazznid

Nice. You're set with that 780 for many years to come. I hope the Maxwell 870 is as powerful as a 780 or titan, because if it isn't there won't be a reason for me to upgrade from my two 670s.

It's going to be hard not to upgrade to the 880 for me. Once you go 4K, it's kind of hard to go back, especially when you like to screenshot. Gonna try to wait till the 980. GAF give me strength.

If anything, the only things I've noticed BF4 improve upon is some shaders, maybe motion blur, probably slightly better textures. Hopefully, I'm wrong, I want to be impressed. We'll see on Tuesday. (unless the limit the settings, or something.)

Eusis

When Did the xbox launch for 299? And COD2 and nearly all the day one games looked worse then on PC. Get your nostalgia out of your eyes.
Launched in 2005, alongside the better version with HDD and wireless controller for $399.99. Though I imagine it'd more accurately be keeping up or outperforming a $600-800 computer, I'm sure with a $1500 computer you were curbstomping the ever lasting shit out of the 360.
That's times when Athlon's reigned supreme, you could get a good mobo for 50 Euro etc etc.
I don't think so.
Yeah, I remember reading about how Quake 4 was inarguably better on PC (though that was a rushed, poorly optimized port... which may be foreshadowing) and Oblivion which came out that spring was definitely better on PC if you had a rig that could run it well. Incidentally, first instance I saw brought up where they seriously weighed "which do you want more: achievements or mods?" which at least had the novelty factor but still sounded stupid.

longdi

Banned
perf_oc.gif

This is how much faster Titan is over 7970GE
So it is entirely possible R9 290x can run BF4 at that kind of resolution, in SP, with mantle, probably at around 60fps..it is good AMD is pushing graphics and not doing Titan like pricing. 7970 is 2 years already...

But that's super expensive! WTF is going on? In 2009 I bought the Radeon single-chip flagship, the HD5870, the first 40nm GPU and one of the best cards AMD ever built, for $350 and today people suggest $200 more for the new single-chip flagship that is on the same node as 2 year old cards? This is madness! Some people completely lost any sense for value.

Check out the die size and you will see why.

Top Bottom