• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BF4 demo at AMD event was running one 290X card @ higher than 3K resolution

Does having an Intel processor matter what kind of GPU you get?

Right now, I have a GTX 670. Upgrading to an AMD would not be a problem?

How would an i5 3570k play with something like a 290x?

Why not save money and put in another 670, that's if you can spare the wattage of course. IMO that's the best course of action.

dmr87

Does having an Intel processor matter what kind of GPU you get?

Right now, I have a GTX 670. Upgrading to an AMD would not be a problem?

How would an i5 3570k play with something like a 290x?

It doesn't matter. And your CPU will be fine for gaming for quite some time, especially if you do some overclocking. I'm still on a Sandy Bridge and all is well. Though we haven't had many games to punish the hardware with lately but they are starting to come out, BF4 right around the corner.

There's not much competition on the CPU side right now so Intel is just sailing along, more focus on lowering the power consumption.

artist

Banned
All this hype coming from AMD.

I have a hard time buying it.

If you were following hardware when and before Bulldozer came out you'll realize that a lot of this sounds very very familiar.

I'm not hating either. I loved ATI products back in the day I'm just saying that I'm not buying the amazingness of these cards til I see the benches and the price. I just have a hard time considering the die size and the fact that it's an arch update that this thing beats the Titan or the 780 for that matter.

And I have a really hard time believing that Mantle is going to come along and everyone is going to drop DX for it but that's a totally different thread.
GK110 has a lot of resources dedicated for the professional market, if Nvidia wanted they could have only went for gaming and made a similar sized chip (or probably even smaller). Die size is hardly a criteria for anything if you dont know the components and the design strategy of the ASIC.

flying dutchman

Neo Member
I realize it was offscrean and low quality youtube stream but that wasnt that mind blowing. For the power of around 5tflops gpu and a i7 cpu it should be showing a gap between itself and the ps4 than it is doing. I expected more.

Finalizer

so amazing to be a PC gamer this week :O

Definitely a lot of interesting developments between Mantle and Valve's new ventures. Excited to see where these developments lead to.

I guess this card with my 1440x900 monitor would be a bit overkill lol

'Lil bit.

Dat feeling when there are folks with monitors whose vertical pixel count is the same as or more than mine's horizontal ;_;

dino1980

So its not as powerful as a 7990?

If BF4 was showed in 4K then that is 8 251 200 pixels.
BF4 here in res 5760*1080 is only 6 220 800 pixels.

That is about 75 procent of 4K.

EDIT: Just for clarification my winter is going to have alot of nuddles in it.

Amazing reactions to my previous post, lol!

IMO Wii U and PC give me the best of both worlds. The best exclusives (IMO) and the multiplats with the best graphics.

You don't have to understand it. You don't have to like it. But you have to accept that this is my opinion.

And i'm not "just" jumping on the PC train right now. Im labeled a "Nintendo fanboy" on GAF but im a PC gamer for way over a decade, SHOCKING NEWS! ;) Just not really participating in PCGAF much...

Anyone who modified autoexec.bat and config.sys to get enough of the damn conventional memory free for certain games are true PC oldschoolers like me. Man there were some amazing and frustrating days, lol

The 290x really looks like a damn beast, Especially if it goes into beast mode using Mantle.

Also interesting. 290x + Mantle + SteamOS = Banderas.gif

Bu bu bu PS4 will have the definitive version because no single PC is "definitive"and your pal can always one up you and have 8 TITAN cards!

/W_D thread

(you see how stupid this line of thinking is? it's illogical, it makes my brain physically hurt)

Seik

Banned
Can't wait to hear more about it.

It's been months I'm thinking about upgrading my 480GTX. Always been a Nvidia guy but this is getting interesting.

I am extremely curious to see what, if any, correlation Mantle will have to steam machines. From what it sounds like with the performance gains, and especially the multi-platform compatability, it'd be quite the hyper-combo for AMD to team up with Valve for the steam machine GPUs.

I am so glad 4k performance is becoming a thing.

twofold

But that's super expensive! WTF is going on? In 2009 I bought the Radeon single-chip flagship, the HD5870, the first 40nm GPU and one of the best cards AMD ever built, for $350 and today people suggest $200 more for the new single-chip flagship that is on the same node as 2 year old cards? This is madness! Some people completely lost any sense for value.

At the end of the day, it's up to individuals to decide what they feel is good value for them. My cousin, for example, just bought a 55" 4k LED TV for £3,300. I think it's terrible value personally, especially considering it doesn't look as good as plasmas half the price (in my opinion), but he thinks it's good value so who am I to say otherwise?

There's expensive, niche goods in virtually every market. Why should gaming be any different?

twofold

Yeah, but it's not like you're being forced into buying those cards. There's still plenty of mid range options available that won't break the bank. The mid range cards generally have better performance per $ than the more expensive cards, too.

These super expensive cards are for a small niche of users who have very unique requirements. They use buckets of AA, downsample, and play on huge monitors with crazy high resolutions. These people need these ridiculously expensive, ridiculously powerful cards to satisfy their needs. The vast majority of people, however, won't need them at all.

What I wanted to say is that the prices for a high-end graphics cards increased dramatically without a reason (except for new consoles = higher system requirements). The 28nm node is cheap as fuck now, even the consoles can use it without any problems. I find it alarming to see that some people here are adapting to these new prices so easily.

I think the difference in performance between the flagship and other versions are a bit higher now. For a lower price you can still get very good cards.

sk3tch

It could have been 60 FPS, we don't know what kind of gains the Mantle API brings yet. I imagine they're pretty significant...

I'm sorry, but there's simply no way there is this amount of gain due to an API or "to the metal" coding or whatever you want to call it. When I quote ~90 FPS with 3x Titans at 5760x1080 I'm speaking in the literal sense and not the bullshit that most people spout because they see the FPS peak at that and call it that.

The demo could very well have peaked from time to time at 60 FPS - but there's no way the average is anywhere near that with a single card. Even with "Mantle".

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Hey guys, just a bit of a basic question from a relative PC gaming noob.

If I were to pick one of these up eventually, or something comparable, how long would it last me? I don't game at crazy resolutions or anything. Basically how long would a card like this be able to play new releases at 1080p and max or near max settings?

sk3tch

If I were to pick one of these up eventually, or something comparable, how long would it last me? I don't game at crazy resolutions or anything. Basically how long would a card like this be able to play new releases at 1080p and max or near max settings?

This card, or any other card in the top range of AMD or NVIDIA will let you max anything out at 1080p for quite some time. It's overkill, arguably - but it's also your build so feel free to spend how you like. :) I would definitely wait until the new AMD cards drop and pricing is fully revealed before buying a new card. They will likely be the single card price/performance kings. NVIDIA will probably respond with price cuts - so, all in all, great for us.

Great thread for help for a PC noob: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=600246.

Dec

A really long time. Last time I bought a GPU was over 4 years ago when I got my 5870, I maxed everything for a few years, at this point, console ports generally still run max at 60fps. PC exclusive or ports that add a lot I have to choose either maxed at 30fps or reduced shadows, use SMAA, and disable stuff like SSAO for 60fps.

I'll upgrade again at the end of the year during the holidays and be good again.

I realize it was offscrean and low quality youtube stream but that wasnt that mind blowing. For the power of around 5tflops gpu and a i7 cpu it should be showing a gap between itself and the ps4 than it is doing. I expected more.

A good deal of PS4 games aren't even running 1920x1080p... This is running the exact same game as a PS4 can at over 3x the resolution. You also can't really compare them accurately because, as you said, it's a low quality youtube video :p

riflen

What I wanted to say is that the prices for a high-end graphics cards increased dramatically without a reason (except for new consoles = higher system requirements). The 28nm node is cheap as fuck now, even the consoles can use it without any problems. I find it alarming to see that some people here are adapting to these new prices so easily.

You seem to be under the impression that somehow the lithography process is the main cost associated with these products and that GPUs will and must get cheaper if the process isn't shrunk. You say prices increase "without a reason", when you don't understand all the costs required to create this GPU.

If you don't like the cost, don't buy it. You can stay at your preferred price-point. Your posts come across as though you're mad that the market for discrete GPUs can now support a greater range of price-points than a few years ago.

artist

Banned
So its not as powerful as a 7990?

If BF4 was showed in 4K then that is 8 251 200 pixels.
BF4 here in res 5760*1080 is only 6 220 800 pixels.

That is about 75 procent of 4K.

EDIT: Just for clarification my winter is going to have alot of nuddles in it.
BF4 was reveal was at 3K if I remember correctly, thats ~18% less pixels than this as noted in the OP.

kortez320

GK110 has a lot of resources dedicated for the professional market, if Nvidia wanted they could have only went for gaming and made a similar sized chip (or probably even smaller). Die size is hardly a criteria for anything if you dont know the components and the design strategy of the ASIC.

Actually if you go back and look die size is generally a really good indicator of speed. Especially when you are looking at a card that is just a revamp of it's predecessor. A predecessor which lost to the card with the smaller chip until it was up-clocked several months after release where even then it only tied.

I wouldn't mind being wrong here. I haven't bought a 'next-gen' card yet I just think AMD is always shisty with their pre-release hype.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Oowee, I like what I see. I'm hoping this card truly turns out to be a beast. Please price it reasonably to put some pressure on Nvidia's BS pricing at the moment. Competition in this space is always a great thing!

Naminator

Banned
tinfoilhattfumi.png

About as much as I would expect from you.

sirap

This card, or any other card in the top range of AMD or NVIDIA will let you max anything out at 1080p for quite some time. It's overkill, arguably - but it's also your build so feel free to spend how you like. :) I would definitely wait until the new AMD cards drop and pricing is fully revealed before buying a new card. They will likely be the single card price/performance kings. NVIDIA will probably respond with price cuts - so, all in all, great for us.

Great thread for help for a PC noob: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=600246.

hi5

i just added a third titan to my rig, feels so godly.

artist

Banned
Actually if you go back and look die size is generally a really good indicator of speed. Especially when you are looking at a card that is just a revamp of it's predecessor. A predecessor which lost to the card with the smaller chip until it was up-clocked several months after release where even then it only tied.

I wouldn't mind being wrong here. I haven't bought a 'next-gen' card yet I just think AMD is always shisty with their pre-release hype.
Again, a bigger die doesnt necessarily mean better performance if you dont dedicate the resources to resources that directly impact gaming performance. See;
So when the Kepler family launched first with the GK104 and GK107 GPUs – powering the GeForce GTX 680 and GeForce GT 640M respectively – it was unusual to say the least. In place of “Big Kepler”, we got a lean GPU that was built around graphics first and foremost, focusing on efficiency and in the process forgoing a lot of the compute performance NVIDIA had come to be known for in the past generation.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6760/nvidias-geforce-gtx-titan-part-1

About as much as I would expect from you.
I'm not the one constantly pushing conspiracy theories.

oxidax

guys i need your help here. I dont think i want the 290x. I dont know yet. But i do want an upgrade from my XFX Double D 7950.
The problem with my xfx is that i cant even overclock it. Not even a little bit! it crashes the benchmark for some reason. So i googled a little bit and found out that they suck at overclocking.
I was thinking about selling my XFX and getting a sapphire because ive heard that they overclock really good. Maybe getting 2 sapphires and crossfire em and thats it or maybe 2 7970's or just wait for the R280's and do those instead but that would cost me the same as a R290x i guess, right?

I heard that if i crossfire the 7970's its gonna bottleneck my CPU. So whats the deal with the R290x then? Do i have to get an i7 if i get those or a R290x?

My setup right now:
FX 8350 (no oc)
XFX 7950 DD
16GB Gskill
MSI 970A-G46

zainetor

Banned
guys i need your help here. I dont think i want the 290x. I dont know yet. But i do want an upgrade from my XFX Double D 7950.
The problem with my xfx is that i cant even overclock it. Not even a little bit! it crashes the benchmark for some reason. So i googled a little bit and found out that they suck at overclocking.
I was thinking about selling my XFX and getting a sapphire because ive heard that they overclock really good. Maybe getting 2 sapphires and crossfire em and thats it or maybe 2 7970's or just wait for the R280's and do those instead but that would cost me the same as a R290x i guess, right?

I heard that if i crossfire the 7970's its gonna bottleneck my CPU. So whats the deal with the R290x then? Do i have to get an i7 if i get those or a R290x?

My setup right now:
FX 8350 (no oc)
XFX 7950 DD
16GB Gskill
MSI 970A-G46

fx sucks in crossfire. So you either get a better cpu or just buy only one of these cards.

kortez320

Again, a bigger die doesnt necessarily mean better performance if you dont dedicate the resources to resources that directly impact gaming performance. See;

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6760/nvidias-geforce-gtx-titan-part-1

I'm not the one constantly pushing conspiracy theories.

Right the point you are missing is that we have already seen these archs in action and everything so far points to nvidia having better performance per size. Unless the 290 is a major major departure from it's original incarnation which history has shown us doesn't usually happen there's not much reason to think this card will be faster then the top end competition considering the size difference combined with kepler being more efficient.

Even the eeally great updates like fermi 2.0 were only a few percentage points faster per clock.

I also umderstand that many compute features were stripped out of the 680. I just still don't see it.

Thorgal

While tempting .i think ill wait to see what Nvidia throws on the table.

I need some comparison tables and price/performance differences to decide what my next gen card will be.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Just bought a 7950 and I've been an nvidia guy for years. Hope I didn't fall for PR. Got a good deal regardless.
Nvidia typically has better driver features but AMD usually has a better price\performance ratio. Overclocking the 7950 to 7970 speeds should be cake. I guess you have to choose the solution that meets your needs within your budget.

Mindlog

There is no perf hit I believe, instead the performance is better as the CPU is offloaded from the audio duty. The 290 series and 260X have dedicated DSPs.
That would be fantastic. I really hope that feature becomes standard for a lot of games. As someone that is still bitter about Aureal this is as big a deal as anything else coming out of that meeting.

Top Bottom