• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Friday 2015 sales result, hardware and software

Ok, so we know it's not a random sample. It may not be completely representative. Where are you going with this? The data says one thing, and though it's not ironclad it seems to be pretty robust. Are you saying that we shouldn't use this for NPD predictions, or...?

I'm saying that interpreting this data is really pretty useless, since we don't actually know the sample size except that it could be anywhere as high as 250000 people (but could also be significantly lower), it isn't representative, and thus it's hard to say. Not to mention since it compares by dollar value, that if you're trying to compute sales it isn't necessarily going to be one-one. And they never make it clear how they handled the sales that gave away a gift card with purchase. Did Xbone sales with a $60 gift card count as $240, or were gift card values ignored?

Nobody in their right mind would have bought the Battlefront bundle on Black Friday anyway. Only the Uncharted bundle got knocked down to $299. The Star Wars bundle stayed at $350.

Which is why I initially didn't bring it up. I seriously doubt the bundle sold in any great numbers (relatively), and most certainly not enough to make up for the seemingly poor performance of the stand-alone game.

6zBb.jpg

I'm saying that interpreting this data is really pretty useless, since we don't actually know the sample size except that it could be anywhere as high as 250000 people (but could also be significantly lower), it isn't representative, and thus it's hard to say. Not to mention since it compares by dollar value, that if you're trying to compute sales it isn't necessarily going to be one-one. And they never make it clear how they handled the sales that gave away a gift card with purchase. Did Xbone sales with a $60 gift card count as $240, or were gift card values ignored?

The sample size needed to get a +/- 1% confidence interval at a 95% confidence level for a population of 300 million is 9604. Sample size really isn't an issue here.

The sample size needed to get a +/- 1% confidence interval at a 95% confidence level for a population of 300 million is 9604. Sample size really isn't an issue here.

Doesn't that assume the sample is representative though? Aside from which, we have no idea how many people involved bought anything game related, let alone consoles.

With the results being so close for ps4 and xone and a less than perfect methodology used to measure sales, results could still go slightly in favor of xone or the margin for the ps4 win could be more than 1%.
One thing for sure though - ps4 outsold the xone for the month of November. The only way for the xone to gain a sales victory over ps4 for the month would have been a clear and decisive victory on Black Friday. That didn't happen. So yeah, I'm confident NPD results for November will show a comfortable lead for ps4.

How would you know this? You're just throwing things at the wall.

I don't. But one thing you learn in statistics is that you should never just assume a sample is representative just because you can't think of a reason it shouldn't be. There's a very good reason people stress taking random samples. And there is literally nothing random about this

They would have to take two different items on a receipt and cancel them both out...why would they do that?

Because the deal was directly related, and shoppers probably took such things into account. Plus it means the amount of money the console brought in was effectively less, since the two were intrinsically linked by the deal

Because the deal was directly related, and shoppers probably took such things into account. Plus it means the amount of money the console brought in was effectively less, since the two were intrinsically linked by the deal

I don't think it matters that much. We're not deducting $60 for every Uncharted bundle. It's basically the same thing as a bundled game. Money spent on a game console bundle is still money spent on a game console.

oSoLucky

I don't. But one thing you learn in statistics is that you should never just assume a sample is representative just because you can't think of a reason it shouldn't be. There's a very good reason people stress taking random samples. And there is literally nothing random about this

The only way the results would be skewed is if there were a very clear correlation between consumers likely to use the apps and preference for one console. It's broken down by percentages. I'm not sure what agenda you have, but you sure seem to have one in repeating yourself over and over.

I don't think it matters that much. We're not deducting $60 for every Uncharted bundle. It's basically the same thing as a bundled game.

I mean, if you're trying to determine the amount of money it brought to the store, it's totally relevant. And if you're not, then why measure share in $ and not units sold?

statham

MS probably lost the month but still did extremely well. I think they could win Dec. if MS sticks to $299 and PS4 goes back up.

The only way the results would be skewed is if there were a very clear correlation between consumers likely to use the apps and preference for one console. It's broken down by percentages. I'm not sure what agenda you have, but you sure seem to have one in repeating yourself over and over.

I don't really care personally, I just think it's unreasonable to assume this is accurate for the larger population. But I don't have data for the app's demographics, nor do I know if this even accurately represents them since the data was taken by first responders (starting on Thanksgiving as well, so things with sales that started then would also likely be overestimated compared to things where the best sales started on black friday)

oSoLucky

MS probably lost the month but still did extremely well. I think they could win Dec. if MS sticks to $299 and PS4 goes back up.

I just hope the total units isn't a huge YoY drop. All this BF decline talk has me a bit unsure,even though video games are a drop in a bucket in the overall scheme of things.

I don't really care personally, I just think it's unreasonable to assume this is accurate for the larger population. But I don't have data for the app's demographics, nor do I know if this even accurately represents them since the data was taken by first responders (starting on Thanksgiving as well, so things with sales that started then would also likely be overestimated compared to things where the best sales started on black friday)

I think the assumptions are based on history more than using just this info as a single data point. There hasn't been any data brought forth to discredit the site's predictions to my knowledge. Last time there were a ton of people hugely skeptical, then NPD proved the data somewhat reliable,if not 100% accurate. I'm more interested in YoY performance myself for total HW and SW.

I mean, if you're trying to determine the amount of money it brought to the store, it's totally relevant.

I think it evens itself out.

And if you're not, then why measure share in $ and not units sold?

Because this is a PR stunt by a developer who wants to flaunt their data collection skills that they've invested in over multiple mobile apps? They're not going to give away everything they know. They're picking the least useful pieces of data that will get them into tech news headlines.

The only way MS does that is if they keep it at$299 for good...They played that card last year with the promotional price drop...Kept it at $350 last holiday season, tried to raise it back up and sales dropped...Keeping it at $299 all of December would simply devalue it and MS worked all year trying to stabilize the system's value after that successful promotional price drop last year into this year, which became permanent..

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.

So you think an extra day will out do three weeks of pre-BF woop ass?

Kusagari

It's interesting that Battlefront is looking like it might actually disappoint.

Obviously it's still gonna sell millions but most figured it would be huge, huge.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Disappointed that Rise of the Tomb Raider couldn't crack the top twenty especially when it's far better than the majority of those games. UGH. Poor Crystal Dynamics. They develop one hell of a game that surpasses the 2013 reboot in every way but get sent out to die by Microsoft. *SMH* :'(

People doubted the InfoScout numbers last year and we all know how that turned out.

Exactly. But regarding that 1% gap, we have to take the measuring inaccurancy into acount. In short, real numbers could be the other way around. Might as well be a proper tie.

That said, there shouldn't be any doubt now who won November...

For everyone crapping on their sample size, here is their estimate from last year. I'd say it was pretty on point.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=942019&page=1

topconsole_share.jpg

For reference, here's Nov. 2014's NPD results:

XB1 - 1230K
PS4 - 830K
WIU - 240K
3DS - 515K

I can't find the 360 or PS3's numbers though. Surely the Wii U will be up YoY. Signs seem to point to yes. Someone from sales-GAF, did the 360 beat the Wii U last year in November?

WTF does my name has anything to do with with the topic?

? I don't know, I just thought your comment was funny.

Fredrik

Minecraft, man....
One of the games I've played the most this generation, don't knock it, it's worth every sale, it's cheap, awesome and plays great on both consoles at 1080p locked 60fps with great controls. I'm playing it with my daughter, building stuff and exploring during the relatively safe daytime with her and going below to mine and kill stuff at the nights by myself. Fantastic game.

For everyone crapping on their sample size, here is their estimate from last year. I'd say it was pretty on point.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=942019&page=1

topconsole_share.jpg

Yeah, I remember Playstation fans deflecting these results last year, and then the NPDs came out and confirmed them to be pretty telling. If I was doing an NPD estimate, I'd feel pretty confident using this as another data point to educate my guess.

It's interesting that Battlefront is looking like it might actually disappoint.

Obviously it's still gonna sell millions but most figured it would be huge, huge.

Makes me wonder how many of those PS4 bundles were sold. I noticed they were sold out at both big retailers I went to today.

That might be the saving grace for that game's performance. I certainly expected a higher chart position.

Disappointed that Rise of the Tomb Raider couldn't crack the top twenty especially when it's far better than the majority of those games. UGH. Poor Crystal Dynamics. They develop one hell of a game that surpasses the 2013 reboot in every way but get sent out to die by Microsoft. *SMH* :'(

Again, bundles might help. But I saw a lot of Rise of the Tomb Raider bundles left in stacks at the same retailers that were sold out of PS4 Star Wars bundles, so I'm less inclined to make that leap of faith.

If this disappointing sales result for Rise of the Tomb Raider turns out to be the case, this might go down in history as one of the worst exclusive deals ever signed by a third-party for a major franchise, I'd think. I hope they made a shocking amount of upfront money on that deal -- like the ridiculous deal Rockstar got for GTA on 360 back in the day -- or this will be a huge blow for the Tomb Raider franchise.

Kyzer

Banned
Good to see Mario Maker on there. Incredible game that I was not expecting to be so utterly amazing. It's AAA Nintendo title for sure.

I just hope the total units isn't a huge YoY drop. All this BF decline talk has me a bit unsure,even though video games are a drop in a bucket in the overall scheme of things.

I think the assumptions are based on history more than using just this info as a single data point. There hasn't been any data brought forth to discredit the site's predictions to my knowledge. Last time there were a ton of people hugely skeptical, then NPD proved the data somewhat reliable,if not 100% accurate. I'm more interested in YoY performance myself for total HW and SW.

Guys.... Please take an intro statistics course at your college. Just because this was "close" in the past doesn't mean this is a good methodology or this represents that total population. There are a lot of problems with their methodology of you're trying to say this absolutely represents the population.

The amount of people arguing with others without having even the most basic of comprehension of how statistics work, is really depressing.

Top Bottom