• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Friday 2015 sales result, hardware and software

foxbeldin

It's not the sample size that matters (insert unappropriate joke here), it's how representative it is of the buyers.
People chosing to take a snapshot of their purchase are representative of a certain population but probably not exactly the same as people buying consoles on BF.

So the margin of error here is pretty big.

BokehKing

Banned
Never heard of info scout, I can't believe there is a legion of people who take pictur e of their receipts, must be the same people who do the circled survey on the bottom of the receipt.

I'll just wait for NPD

stryke

Do the people who own these apps get anything out of taking pics of their receipts? Like is there some sort of points collection system which they use towards discount shopping for something?

ethomaz

Banned
Do the people who own these apps get anything out of taking pics of their receipts? Like is there some sort of points collection system which they use towards discount shopping for something?
Yes... money... they paid you to use sent the receipts.

"Receipt Hog is hands down the easiest way to put some extra cash in your pocket with minimal effort. Feed your Hog receipts and be rewarded with coins or spins for the Hog slot machines, where you can win even more coins. Redeem coins for cash via PayPal or Amazon gift cards. Cha-ching! Unlike other shopping rewards programs, Receipt Hog rewards you for receipts no matter where you shop or what you buy. "

While you need to send a lot of receipts and the money is very little... it is still money.

Whether or not it's positive for anyone isn't really determined by product mix ratios.

I'm just going by the fact that the PS4 and XB1 seem relatively close (going by the graph on the previous page) and the Wii U also seems to have seen a bit of a bump over last years numbers as well.

Its not definitive but it makes the outlook seem fairly positive.

Somnia

Never heard of info scout, I can't believe there is a legion of people who take pictur e of their receipts, must be the same people who do the circled survey on the bottom of the receipt.

I'll just wait for NPD

Except for the fact they've been pretty accurate in the past, guess we can just ignore that.

Guerrilla

I don't know how they collect their data, so this is all just random guessing. But aren't they collecting just from everyone? So if 3 million consoles are sold in the us on black friday for example that's like 1% of the us so if you apply that to this data their console buyer sample size would actually be 2500 which is not all that big. This would at least explain the weird games charts.

I know there is more to look at here (people uploading their reciepts are certainly more tech savvy then the average population) just sayin

It's not the sample size that matters (insert unappropriate joke here), it's how representative it is of the buyers.
People chosing to take a snapshot of their purchase are representative of a certain population but probably not exactly the same as people buying consoles on BF.

And they're getting paid to do it too right? It does add a certain bit of questionability to their numbers I guess.

maltrain

By the way, "great" decision putting Tomb Raider as a exclusive game... great sales, right Square? Assholes...

blakep267

Was only $25 at Wal-Mart during their sale. Shelves were emptied that day by resellers...
Yeah, Madden nba2k and GTA were all in the mid $20's and AC was like $35 at most places. The first three were no where to be found at the multiple places I went to

I'm suprised that Far Cry 4 didn't pop up on the chart. It was $14 everywhere

ANDS

King of Gaslighting

People keep saying this, and have nothing to back it up with. The app is free and available for probably most smartphones in the US. There are different apps which InfoScout uses to target (one would assume) different types of shoppers. In order for you to discount that a significantly different population uses this app than those who were out on Black Friday you need to point where the differentiation comes from. Just hand waving it away because it doesn't agree with what you want to see is nonsense.

Oy vey.

I don't know how they collect their data, so this is all just random guessing. But aren't they collecting just from everyone? So if 3 million consoles are sold in the us on black friday for example that's like 1% of the us so if you apply that to this data their console buyer sample size would actually be 2500 which is not all that big. This would at least explain the weird games charts.

What the hell?

I know there is more to look at here (people uploading their reciepts are certainly more tech savvy then the average population) just sayin

You are literally taking a photo of a receipt. Instagram, Snapchat and Facebook photos seem to suggest a great majority of the US population has the selfie down. Taking a photo of a receipt isn't that much higher on the complexity scale.

And they're getting paid to do it too right? It does add a certain bit of questionability to their numbers I guess.

More nonsense. People are given incentives for studies ALL THE TIME. For many kinds of studies it's the only way to get people to participate. Again, you can't just toss out "Oh this will skew the results" without saying why.

Meier

I will take this with a grain of salt

Never actually heard of these apps. I assume for giving this information away you get a chance to win items because otherwise it feels like a pointless exercise I can't really see the benefit of.

James93

This actually is a decent way to collect data. Since the sample size is so large, you should see a much smaller margin of error. Yes you can argue that the sample size isn't random but honestly no data collected is ever random.
Trying to discount the data, shows you have a bias towards the products. Most data that used in research is fair worse than this.

Chobel

"Infoscout is pretty accurate", so they get one obvious thing right last year and suddenly they're very good? C'mon people.

Blanquito

"Infoscout is pretty accurate", so they get one obvious thing right last year and suddenly they're very good? C'mon people.

It's not just Target, it was the top selling bundle overall.

zIlXqFa.png

https://twitter.com/infoscout/status/671455297131573248

Love ya Chobel, but sometimes you confuse me.

Top Bottom