• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Mother Killed in Her Home by Baltimore Police, Child Shot

Status
Not open for further replies.

bman94

Edit: Before more people complain about the thread title, it's not a title I made up, it's the title of the article which was referenced.

I didn't know about this until a friend of mine posted on Facebook about it since he was childhood friends with the mother:

http://www.telesurtv.net/english/news/Black-Mother-Killed-in-Her-Home-by-Baltimore-Police-Son-Shot-20160801-0020.html

A woman identified as Korryn Gaines, 23, was shot dead by Baltimore police Monday afternoon after a standoff in front of her house, according to local police and media, with local reports saying her 5-year-old son was also shot.

In a press conference Police Chief Jim Johnson said officers went to Gaines’ house in order to serve two arrests warrants in her name and in the name of a man who is living with her.

After she failed to answer the door for the officers, they got a key from the landlord and opened the door to the apartment and that's when they found Gaines with a gun and her 5-year old son in her arms.

A special team was called in and began an hours-long negotiation with Gaines. "During that dialogue and conversation, she repeatedly pointed a long gun at the police officers," he said.

At around 3 p.m. local time, six hours after police arrived, the officers shot at her at least once, the police chief said, adding that she shot back. It was then, the chief said, that police officers shot her multiple times and killed her.

It is not clear where her son was at the time of the shooting. The police did confirm that the child sustained a gunshot wound. However, police have not said whether or not the responding officers were wearing body cameras.

A man, who has not been identified, also reportedly ran out of the house upon the police arrival with a 1-year-old child with him. He was arrested shortly after.

Her family was shocked by the news and said that they knew her as a calm person who was loved by everyone. "My niece is a good person; I never knew her to be a rowdy person," Gaines' uncle, Jerome Barnett, told the Baltimore Sun.

Another uncle, Jermaine Barnett, described Gaines as "a beautiful person, really smart, intellectual."

"I'm in a surreal state of mind right now," Jermaine Barnett said. "She was loved by everybody—I'm going to miss her and I love her."

The police said Gaines was wanted for failing to appear for cases related to a March incident in which she was charged with disorderly conduct, resisting arrest and numerous traffic violations, Johnson said.

According to witnesses, there were at least six police cars outside Gaines’ house and officers in military-style gear. Twitter users were using the hashtag #KorrynGaines to express support for the women and her child.

"My son-in-law is in the house now with the baby, my daughter is at work," Reginald Owens, 63, who watched the situation from a building closeby, told the Baltimore Sun. "He said there's about six or seven police in his apartment, right next door to her."

Fuck man this is sad. To be killed in your own home and have your 5 year old child shot. The child is going to grow up without a mother and that shit really hurts me man. That child is going to no nothing in this world but hate, fear and sadness.

mcfrank

Feel bad for the kid. The mom who did that to him, not so much. Terrible. Police gave her every chance.

This is a fucked up situation, but she was essentially using her son as a shield so I can't really side with her in this case. I hope her child is alright

SexyFish

Banned
This is a fucked up situation, but she was essentially using her son as a shield so I can't really side with her in this case. I hope her child is alright

Yeah, how can any mother hold her child in one hand and a gun in the other. That's really shit.

Hope they recover well.

Tagyhag

True, but I want to know, who shot first.

Unless she was directly threatening the child which hopefully she wasn't, the police should have never fired the first shot.

Media

This. That poor kid. The fact that they negotiated at all instead of just going in guns a blazing means they tried at least.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
True, but I want to know, who shot first.

Unless she was directly threatening the child which hopefully she wasn't, the police should have never fired the first shot.

If pointing a gun and threatening then unfortunately yes they should.

YaBish

Hard to empathize with someone who puts a child in that situation. Hope everything turns out okay for the kid, that would be terrifying.

if I'm readling this right the cops shot first

At around 3 p.m. local time, six hours after police arrived, the officers shot at her at least once, the police chief said, adding that she shot back. It was then, the chief said, that police officers shot her multiple times and killed her.

Nephtis

It's a goddamn tragedy.

I'm sad that there was a loss of life, but I am having a hard time to feel emphatic for that lady. Holding a child as a hostage like that is not right. If you want to go out in a blaze of glory fine, but don't involve or endanger innocent people. :\

weekev

Banned
Why the fuck would you use your child as a shield? If this is true I'd say well done to the cops. Sad for the kid though, horrid situ.

Clefargle

What a terrible tragedy. How do things like this keep happening? The culture in the US just seems to breed volatile police interactions and tense situations where shooting is much to easy of a solution for either side...

13654271_1346108845403240_7877241883760846034_n.jpg

The police deleted her social media pages after killing her. They are covering up.

She went to my high school this was totally out of character for her. Also saw a pretty confusing video of some of the footage she shot while in the house with her son. You can hear the police screaming at her but you don't see a gun in her possession only her talking to her son it's really creepy. Don't know if I should post it or not.

Edit: Her social media was definetly deleted. Her cousin is trying o upload videos right now.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I do not trust police so I don't really believe them

Yeah - same old shit we only hear one side of the story because the other one got killed. Why would a young mother sacrifice herself and potentially her kid because of such charges ?

Def. something missing here.

I don't want to say that things never went down as have been stated, but we have all seen enough to know by know that if there isn't actual video of what happened it's officer words against a dead person who can't defend themselves.

In light of what we've only known about thanks to some random passer by filming on their phone, I don't know if I can ever fully trust that, even if it is the truth.

If it's true.. Pointing a gun at a cop or anyone is near automatic death..

Not sure how anyone can side with her if it's accurate. But I wouldn't have a conclusion as its hearsay.

You don't want an officer or person to be killed with her pointing a gun though.

Just surprised she lasted longer from that.

Even though thier are old famous stand offs where perks are pointing guns and don't get shot. Yes random and not very serious pointing and it's on the news live..

But it happens sometimes

Agreed. sounds like the mother was using the kid as a shield. Absolutely messed up situation. Heart goes out to that poor kid. Hope there is someone out there to take good care of him

Sounds like yes but in this case we only have one side of the story the police officers who apparently may have shot first and appears to have shot a 5 year old child. Now I don't know if anyone can trust police officers who shoot kids.

I don't know what the truth is so all I can do is say nothing. But to say nothing after something like this happens doesn't feel right.

Sad situation for the kid that has to grow up knowing his mom and sibling was shot by the police.

royalan

Monsters.

I don't give a fuck who shot first, who pointed a gun first, or any of the other deflection tactics people want to throw out. There is a goddamn CHILD in the vicinity.

Unless this woman is threatening to blow up a city block you stand the fuck down when there is a CHILD present who can be hurt.

I've seen too many instances of frantic grown-ass white men frantically waving weapons at cops and being approached with more care than this to excuse it.

bosseye

Yes, going on the account above the woman is at all kinds of fault, but honestly, I can't imagine any police force in the world taking shots at a woman when she's holding a child. I just assume that anywhere else the child's life would be given more respect than that, but apparently not in America.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Yes, going on the account above the woman is at all kinds of fault, but honestly, I can't imagine any police force in the world taking shots at a woman when she's holding a child. I just assume that anywhere else the child's life would be given more respect than that, but apparently not in America.
If she's acting erratically with a firearm there's a legitimate concern that she may shoot the child. So they send in the cops that can actually aim.

edit: nvm these guys can't aim either.

Well if they were there for 6 hours or doesn't seem like they went into it guns blazing. And if the mother was threatening them and using her kid as a shield, then I really can't sympathize.

Logically, I have to believe that she had a weapon, because if she didn't I don't see the police doing the song and dance of a six hour standoff. That said, we don't know what led to the first shot, so I'd like to at least hear that story before I make any full judgements.

Razmos

Why the hell would she point a gun at the police? I mean yeah it's an awful situation but one that wouldn't have happened if she hadn't threatened the police with a firearm.

Do we even know why?

Twitter users were using the hashtag #KorrynGaines to express support for the women and her child.
Are you fucking serious.

LycanXIII

Why the hell would she point a gun at the police? I mean yeah it's an awful situation but one that wouldn't have happened if she hadn't threatened the police with a firearm.

Do we even know why?

Mental illness? The one facebook video has her asking her son why the police were there and getting him to say "to kill us." You can hear the police in the background trying to talk with her.

cashman

Banned
Why are the police coming in locked and loaded over petty warrants? I've got a tough time believing the police side of things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom