• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Mother Killed in Her Home by Baltimore Police, Child Shot

Status
Not open for further replies.
This might be really stupid, but it's a thought I always wonder in these situations concerning non lethal means of disabling a criminal in these kinds of standoffs. But isn't there any form of tranquilizer that they can fire to simply knock out the person instead of spraying them with bullets? Especially in cases like these where there are children nearby?

Eitherway, what a shitty situation. I hope that child ends up alright.

This might be really stupid, but it's a thought I always wonder in these situations concerning non lethal means of disabling a criminal in these kinds of standoffs. But isn't there any form of tranquilizer that they can fire to simply knock out the person instead of spraying them with bullets? Especially in cases like these where there are children nearby?

I'm fairly sure most tranquilizers don't work as fast as most TV/movies portray them, so they wouldn't be as helpful as you think.

antonz

Sad situation. Once you begin an armed standoff and are using a child as essentially a shield it escalates everything. It becomes a hostage situation etc.

Other articles mention there was a man as well who fled with a 1 year old when police arrived but was caught. So seems like there may have been some disagreement on how to approach the situation unfolding from the occupants.

Shooting someone with a tranq doesn't immediately sedate someone and takes fairly precise amounts of whatever you're using without killing someone or it not working at all. There's also the possibility of the shot not puncturing the skin because of clothing, etc. In the time it take for a tranq to work she could have shot the child, an officer, herself or all three. At least that's how I understand it.

kavanf1

Things not to do with armed police:

1. Refuse to cooperate.
2. Brandish a weapon.
3. Make threats involving an innocent child.

I'm struggling to find sympathy here, unfortunately.

IbukiLordSA

What a terrible thread name, I mean really TC? This woman was a horrible person to use her child as a shield and she was no saint either, she had an arrest warrant for a reason. Police seemed to give her every chance. It's better for the world to have 1 less person like this. Unfortunately the child now takes the brunt of a terrible mother.

Wolfe

I dunno guys, some were saying she was livestreaming and there are clips floating around (posted above!) that are kind of odd. Be nice to get the whole story.

Volimar

This is Baltimore, and the police haven't said whether police were wearing body cameras? How is that not mandatory?

Kin5290

Tranquilizers need to be measured out specifically for a target's body mass, and even then they don't act instantaneously. That makes them ineffective against a person with a gun, who will still be able to pull the trigger after they are hit.

And before you ask, the last time sleeping gas in a hostage situation it killed over 100 civilians. Any dose able to knock out a fully grown adult woman is almost certain to kill or injure the kid with her.

royalan

Things not to do with armed police:

1. Refuse to cooperate.
2. Brandish a weapon.
3. Make threats involving an innocent child.

I'm struggling to find sympathy here, unfortunately.

Find sympathy in the 5 year old that can now say he had a bullet in his body.

No Love

Banned
What a terrible thread name, I mean really TC? This woman was a horrible person to use her child as a shield and she was no saint either, she had an arrest warrant for a reason. Police seemed to give her every chance. It's better for the world to have 1 less person like this. Unfortunately the child now takes the brunt of a terrible mother.

Ahh here it is, the "she's no saint" argument. One of my favorites.

Terrible situation if it went down as stated. Why would you fuck with your child's life like that? Why put it in jeopardy? Jesus Christ.

Breads

Banned

So do you have anything to share other then smug satisfaction at ???? ?

Because having an arrest warrant, being on a 6 hour armed stand standoff against the police, and using a kid as a human shield is a good indicator that she was not a good person. Granted, we don't have all the facts, but what we have so far is pretty bad.

Seriously look at the situation from the kid's perspective and rethink your contribution to this thread so far.

Joke post? Can't believe after COUNTLESS lies and false reports some people still believe police accounts.

O.v.e.rlord

Banned
Why are the police coming in locked and loaded over petty warrants? I've got a tough time believing the police side of things.

When are police not "locked and loaded"? I'm betting there less officers at the beginning of the event, but later after they discovered that she was armed and using her son as a human shield that they would call for back up.

Joke post? Can't believe after COUNTLESS lies and false reports some people still believe police accounts.

Is there any contradictory reports out yet?

Volimar

Terrible situation if it went down as stated. Why would you fuck with your child's life like that? Why put it in jeopardy? Jesus Christ.

Even if it didn't go down that way, why wouldn't she send her child to safety at any time during the long standoff?

royalan

That's a given, nobody wants to see a child hurt. My comment was about the woman who brought this on herself and the child.

I put all the blame on the force that's supposedly trained to handle situations like this.

That we expect so little of our cops, that the bar is this fucking low...

That's a given, nobody wants to see a child hurt. My comment was about the woman who brought this on herself and the child.
Yea! She brought it on her self to bring all those cops into her house for breakfast and to hand out 2 warrants. Then after running put of toast threatened to kill her own/a kid. The police mistook the 5yr old for being 22 yrs old after hearing him play Pokemon Go. So all the cops had to take turns shooting because you don't want to look like you don't got your friends back and to claim the pokegym

See, if indeed she was doing what they claimed, I could absolutely see the justification. It is hard to take at their word that someone would create this situation because of disorderly conduct, traffic tickets, and resisting arrest. Further, I absolutely cannot assume good faith, knowing that the child was injured in the crossfire. Cops are supposed to be better than that.

Cops, this is why body cameras are neat.

McBryBry

Thread title=/=actual article.

When I wake up tomorrow I'll see if lying has happened, but as of right now, hard time feeling bad for the woman. You had 6 hours to stop pointing a gun at police and your child. Your child is a fucked up thing to do, but police is just stupid.

Kinyou

If she was willing to put a child in the line of fire there might also be a risk that she was willing to hurt the child. Still, makes sense to wait for some more information.

So do you have anything to share other then smug satisfaction at ???? ?

Because having an arrest warrant, being on a 6 hour armed stand standoff against the police, and using a kid as a human shield is a good indicator that she was not a good person. Granted, we don't have all the facts, but what we have so far is pretty bad.

Seriously look at the situation from the kid's perspective and rethink your contribution to this thread so far.

Yeah if we are looking at it from the kids perspective he was shot by the people who were trying to help him yet you wanna just condemn his mother. You condemn both the actions of the mother and the actions of the police its not a either or situation. Their is a lot of blame to go around.

IbukiLordSA

��

Yea totally, we gotta execute all people that are "like this." The world will be way better.

Yup that is exactly what I said. Way to jump to conclusions, maybe if you jump higher you might find something that is much needed.

It's the truth, "My niece is a good person; I never knew her to be a rowdy person," yeah sure she is a nice person until her criminal activity catches up with her and she starts to use her child as a shield. I mean yeah let's totally feel for this poor defenseless woman. I can't imagine being in a situation where I shove my son in front of a gun while others are pointed at me, must be tough hey, shame poor lady.

And yes the police are definitely in the wrong, they should have never opened fire while this coward hid behind her child.

1. I hope the child recovers as well as a person can from a situation like this.
2. I hope there is footage of the incident.

Even if it didn't go down that way, why wouldn't she send her child to safety at any time during the long standoff?

Beats me. In the video, she can be heard asking the kid what the police were doing there, to which he replied, "They're trying to kill us." Let's say the cops were there with the intent to murder her family — why wouldn't you send your child to safety in some way? You don't carry them while pointing a gun at the cops. I wish this situation had never occurred, but she endangered the life of her child. She's clearly aware that the police are trigger-happy, so what does she do? Put her son in a situation where the police are most likely to shoot.

Why are the police coming in locked and loaded over petty warrants? I've got a tough time believing the police side of things.
Does this make sense? Cause anyone can have a gun..

And if she had a gun it's a good thing your not a cop. Gonna run in and get shot and have no way to defend yourself.

I get it that many here are definitely against cops bit these guys are dealing with people and crime all the time. I know we have issues out there with cops shooting first but there are a ton of cops who have never shot a person much less killed.

Donos

Problem with reports like that is that the situation could be totally different then reported.
Cases with video evidence from bystanders showed this in the past. But we will probably never now.
She probably just had a lighter in her hand which looked from far like a long gun.

If it was like reported: dragging your children into this mess is pretty low.

Volimar

Problem with reports like that is that the situation could be totally different then reported.
Cases with video evidence from bystanders showed this in the past. But we will probably never now.
She probably just had a lighter in her hand which looked from far like a long gun.

If it was like reported: dragging your children into this mess is pretty low.

Even if it isn't like it was reported, she still used her child in an hours long standoff rather than release him and give him the chance to be taken to safety.

The mother was obviously wrong to use her child as a shield but I can't understand why the police would start shooting when they knew a child was in there. Surely the life of the child is the first priority, above everything else?

The alternative would be backing down and hoping she comes to her senses. But not when a gun is involved. She could have potentially weighed her options, decided death is better than jail and decided murder suicide. Who knows. I'm just thinking "out loud" wondering if the police being so adamant about getting in was needed.

I mean if we think about it, we "have the right to bear arms", why is it necessarily illegal to point one at someone entering your home? I don't care of they're the cops. If the police force can relax and just say "another day, another way" instead of "ooooh, it's ON NOW!" just because they saw a gun, maybe we can prevent a lot of incidents? Maybe not, I have no idea what I'm talking about. The kid being there probably sparked concerns and I agree.

Volimar

The alternative would be backing down and hoping she comes to her senses. But not when a gun is involved. She could have potentially weighed her options, decided death is better than jail and decided murder suicide. Who knows. I'm just thinking "out loud" wondering if the police being so adamant about getting in was needed.

I mean if we think about it, we "have the right to bear arms", why is it necessarily illegal to point one at someone entering your home? I don't care of they're the cops. If the police force can relax and just say "another day, another way" instead of "ooooh, it's ON NOW!" just because they saw a gun, maybe we can prevent a lot of incidents? Maybe not, I have no idea what I'm talking about. The kid being there probably sparked concerns and I agree.

I doubt the police wanted a violent confrontation either. No one wants to get shot.

tkscz

huh, i saw this on tumblr first and they completely left out that she had a gun and there was a 6 hour stand off. just passing around that she was shot over parking violations.

Yea! She brought it on her self to bring all those cops into her house for breakfast and to hand out 2 warrants. Then after running put of toast threatened to kill her own/a kid. The police mistook the 5yr old for being 22 yrs old after hearing him play Pokemon Go. So all the cops had to take turns shooting because you don't want to look like you don't got your friends back and to claim the pokegym

What the fuck is this sentence structure/point about? Seriously, I want to know your take on this, can you make a more concise point please?

US police are always carrying, as far as I know. If it occurred over 6 hours, and the woman did in fact have a long gun, makes sense that backup would be called.

I imagine that even if US police didn't always carry their firearms, the chance that the individual you're telling to leave their home may become violent pretty quickly.

Kurdel

Banned

She met them with a gun, not the smartest reaction when police come after you for a traffic violation.

Sh1ner

In the US if you are non compliant with a police officer who is armed that can get you killed. Seems she went far beyond non compliance and the police tried to avoid killing her for hours.

While Police in America certainly have been problematic, I genuinely don't know where to lean at the moment as there isn't enough for a reliable conclusion.

I feel bad for the kid, wish it didn't have to end with their mom's death. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom