• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Mother Killed in Her Home by Baltimore Police, Child Shot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volimar

So she wasn't using the child as a shield and cops started a shootout knowing there was a kid in the house, but not knowing where he was exactly. Sounds like another fuck up by the cops. What else is new.

I mean she still could have released the child to be taken somewhere safe at any time in those hours, though given her illness she seemed to have a lot of paranoia. Definitely a fuck up by the cops though. It's ridiculous that all police in Baltimore don't have body cams by now. I mean, really? Not one of the officers there had one?

Cops shoot child in the Arm after being afraid he might bite them.

Wow.

That's not what happened at all. There's enough actual fuckery at play here without making shit up.

Won't know what happened until the videos show up, unedited.

Even then I get the sense that she wasn't constantly recording.

Wolfe

Nah, you don't go full Alamo over some unpaid traffic tickets.

This should be said to the police in this situation, not the single mother w/son afraid for her life.

Edit: everyone commenting on how she didn't let her kid get out of that situation before it got real bad, maybe from her perspective that was the safest place for him, we weren't there and don't know her frame of mind of any other details. Doesn't really matter at this point anyway.

Mesousa

Banned
Dude that was with her has to be the biggest pussy ass nigga since George Wilson. How in the hell you gonna leave her to go out like that? When she still had another kid in the house.

Shameful.

Volimar

Dude that was with her has to be the biggest pussy ass nigga since George Wilson. How in the hell you gonna leave her to go out like that? When she still had another kid in the house.

Shameful.

I mean, she was mentally ill. We don't know what she said to him before he left. He took a one year old with him, right? Probably the best thing he could have done.

Mesousa

Banned
I mean, she was mentally ill. We don't know what she said to him before he left. He took a one year old with him, right? Probably the best thing he could have done.

The fact she was mentally ill is even more reason why you don't leave her in that situation. If you gave a damn about the woman you are with, and probably is the mother of your child, you don't leave her like that even if she isn't mentally ill, much less if she is.

jdstorm

Banned
I mean she still could have released the child to be taken somewhere safe at any time in those hours, though given her illness she seemed to have a lot of paranoia. Definitely a fuck up by the cops though. It's ridiculous that all police in Baltimore don't have body cams by now. I mean, really? Not one of the officers there had one?

That's not what happened at all. There's enough actual fuckery at play here without making shit up.

Even then I get the sense that she wasn't constantly recording.

I'm not making anything up.
Fact. A child was shot in the arm by police officers
Fact. The current Narative is that police shot first because the woman in question was unstable and they feared for their lives/life of the supposed hostage. Part of the evidence for this includes the official story including evidence that the mother was instructing her child to bite police

Sure it's not the whole story. But it's hardly untrue.

Also do cops not have access to tear gas anymore?

Volimar

Fact. The current Narative is that police shot first because the woman in question was unstable and they feared for their lives/life of the supposed hostage. Part of the evidence for this includes the official story including evidence that the mother was instructing her child to bite police

From an incident in MARCH. There's not even any evidence that these police even knew about her telling a child (not even necessarily this one) to bite the officer. It's a ridiculous insinuation.

commedieu

Banned

Fact doesn't = narrative.

Video = fact.

Fact. Police had the video taken down.

Wolfe

It's funny reading through the thread and see peoples reactions to various bits of info when we have no idea if the info is even legit.

Makes me think back to the special needs care worker (apologies, brain not work good right now) that got shot by police when he was trying to get that dude out of the road.

Cop says "I don't know" when asked why he shot the dude and then the next day they come out and give some bullshit about how he was trying to save the fucking guy but accidentally hit him instead.

Rpgmonkey

What the fuck, police?

To clarify the part about the body cameras, this situation concerns Baltimore County, not Baltimore City. Unlike a lot of other states and cities there isn't a Baltimore County that includes the city, the city is pretty much its own county independent of Baltimore County, and they each have their own departments, chiefs, policies and policy makers, etc.

Baltimore City's camera roll out started in May IIRC, and at their stated goal there should be a few hundred with the cameras by now. Baltimore County's only started theirs early last month, and they're going for a rate of 10 per week. I don't know what distributing and training for these is like so I have no ability to say if that's a slow/normal/fast rate, but the plan is to have all ~1900 covered by the end of 2018. So at the time of this incident it seems to be more of a case of their roll out being kind of late compared to other departments allowing a few in the department to have cameras at times like these, and not the more suspicious New Orleans-like scenario of cameras mysteriously falling off/disappearing.

The whole facebook situation sounds like a mess though assuming the claimed information is correct about the situation with her, her followers, and the police's response is correct.

Volimar

To clarify the part about the body cameras, this situation concerns Baltimore County, not Baltimore City. Unlike a lot of other states and cities there isn't a Baltimore County that includes the city, the city is pretty much its own county independent of Baltimore County, and they each have their own departments, chiefs, policies and policy makers, etc.

Baltimore City's camera roll out started in May IIRC, and at their stated goal there should be a few hundred with the cameras by now. Baltimore County's only started theirs early last month, and they're going for a rate of 10 per week. I don't know what distributing and training for these is like so I have no ability to say if that's a slow/normal/fast rate, but the plan is to have all ~1900 covered by the end of 2018. So at the time of this incident it seems to be more of a case of their roll out being kind of late compared to other departments allowing a few in the department to have cameras at times like these, and not the more suspicious New Orleans-like scenario of cameras mysteriously falling off/disappearing.

The whole facebook situation sounds like a mess though assuming the claimed information is correct about the situation with her, her followers, and the police's response is correct.

Thanks for the info.

It's funny reading through the thread and see peoples reactions to various bits of info when we have no idea if the info is even legit.

Makes me think back to the special needs care worker (apologies, brain not work good right now) that got shot by police when he was trying to get that dude out of the road.

Cop says "I don't know" when asked why he shot the dude and then the next day they come out and give some bullshit about how he was trying to save the fucking guy but accidentally hit him instead.

Charles Kinsey

Edit: and the story is actually worse than that. He wasn't trying to get the dude out of the road - he was there to explain to the police that the guy had autism and didn't have a weapon so there was no need for them to shoot anyone at all.

He was there to prevent a shooting / unnecessary loss of life. They shot him and the excuse they gave the next day was that they were trying to protect him from the guy he was there to (bullshit meters should be ringing here), but somehow missed and hit him instead.

Sayad

Serious question, what would tear gas do in this situation(ignoring that tear gas use is prohibited in closed areas, against civilians at least)? Would it prevent the mother form shooting her child or blindly shooting at the police?

TyrantII

This is a classic hostage situation. The childs well being was paramount here, not his shitty mother who was using him as a shield and threatning violence with a weapon.

I'm all about police not shooting unarmed suspects; but you're going to get zero sympathy from me on this one.

J.ceaz

This is a classic hostage situation. The childs well being was paramount here, not his shitty mother who was using him as a shield and threatning violence with a weapon.

I'm all about police not shooting unarmed suspects; but you're going to get zero sympathy from me on this one.

you do realize that they shot the kid right? Child safety was certainly not priority no.1

Local news is on the story, and more details are coming out.

Some interesting news that came about:

- Gaines suffered from lead poisoning, which is a decades long problem from shitty Baltimore housing (my mom's uncle died from lead poisoning when he was a child).

- Cop shot first, she shot back, rest of the cops unloaded on her.
- Gaines legally owned her gun.
- Cops don't know who shot the child or where he was when the shooting started, so people saying that Gaines was holding her son as a "meat shield" for six hours either need to source their information or stop making shit up; he was freely moving about the apartment and they knew that.

- Gaines recorded the situation as it unfolded inside of her house. Cops had the videos deleted. People "waiting for all the facts' or "the other side of the story" can rest easy knowing that the cops have deleted Gaines' side of the story and we may never know what ever really happened in there.

Is it the same video we saw earlier or an entirely different one?

Shameful.

Well he was stalking her and choked her so he probably does not have the best moral character.

Gaines answered "yes" when asked "if he follows or spies on you or leaves you threatening messages." She also answered "yes" when asked if she had ever been strangled or choked. Police officers taking the assault report noted that Gaines' demeanor was "angry and nervous."

qcf x2

Wait, the videos were deleted by police? They freely admit that they deleted the videos? I mean, that's tampering with evidence at a crime scene, isn't it? Letter of the law?

Lime

Due to their history, Cops in the US are guilty until to proven innocent. When it's a black woman and a fucking swat team against her, you know something is completely fucked up and out of proportion.

I'm sad that yet another life was taken away for no reason. I don't know how this can continue to happen. Something needs to happen right now. Make black is citizens protected or something, just do something to protect them against racist cops and racist society.

Wait, the videos were deleted by police? They freely admit that they deleted the videos? I mean, that's tampering with evidence at a crime scene, isn't it? Letter of the law?
It's not evidence if it can be used against you. Like YouTube dollars I read about on South park

ramparter

Banned
This is a fucked up situation, but she was essentially using her son as a shield so I can't really side with her in this case. I hope her child is alright
Yeah, if what is written is true that was the stupidest thing anyone could do, pointing a gun at a police officer while holding her child.

Then again, videos deleted, yeah ok, I don't see why I should believe the police story.

So cops shoot first cops shoot a child cops delete all evidence

Okay, the same department that disappeared Freddie Grays spine. Okay

Gosh when you really think about it carrying a 5 year old hostage along with a long gun for six hours does seem unfeasible.

I wonder if the BPD are the wrong here

antonz

Her instagram etc. were reactivated. There probably is a good case of her having some mental issues. Seems she embraced the whole Sovereign Citizen thing driving around with no license plate and instead a sign attached telling Government to not mess with her.

Ranting about her traffic stop being the police wanting to steal her car etc. Telling the Officers the only way they are getting her out of the car is to kill her in front of her son etc.

Her instagram etc. were reactivated. There probably is a good case of her having some mental issues. Seems she embraced the whole Sovereign Citizen thing driving around with no license plate and instead a sign attached telling Government to not mess with her.

Ranting about her traffic stop being the police wanting to steal her car etc. Telling the Officers the only way they are getting her out of the car is to kill her in front of her son etc.

At least this explains why she would have gotten into a stand-off over serving a relatively minor warrant. Still a lot of other unanswered questions, though.

Vex_

Banned

Yea I just saw that. Holy shit she is nuts.

The whole time I'm thinking "wow"...."wow"...."wooooooow"...

Lime

Regardless of her political convictions, that doesn't mean she should've been killed.

Additionally, people should keep in mind the history of the police and their accounts when citizens are dead

Those videos seem pretty inconsequential, so I doubt they were taken down with the intent to save face. We see her load up the shotgun in one, I guess.

Volimar

Those videos seem pretty inconsequential, so I doubt they were taken down with the intent to save face. We see her load up the shotgun in one, I guess.

The explanation that they took down her social media because her followers were egging her on makes sense to me.

Mesousa

Banned
Well he was stalking her and choked her so he probably does not have the best moral character.

I feel more hate for him than the cops honestly, especially when you go through her page and see them together with their daughter and whatnot. He's a loser, and even worse he looks like he is nearly 50.

No guy worth a damn leaves his woman there in that situation. The same woman who is the mother of your baby, and the one you were laying up in bed with that same day.

Demoskinos

The fact that she would put her child in that position is just horrible not only did the child have to see their mother be killed but they were put in direct harms way. Ugh. I hope that kid ends up being okay.

Due to their history, Cops in the US are guilty until to proven innocent. When it's a black woman and a fucking swat team against her, you know something is completely fucked up and out of proportion.

I'm sad that yet another life was taken away for no reason. I don't know how this can continue to happen. Something needs to happen right now. Make black is citizens protected or something, just do something to protect them against racist cops and racist society.

Do you really believe the system is so corrupted that they would send a swat team to take out an innocent black woman?

So cops shoot first cops shoot a child cops delete all evidence

Okay, the same department that disappeared Freddie Grays spine. Okay

Gosh when you really think about it carrying a 5 year old hostage along with a long gun for six hours does seem unfeasible.

I wonder if the BPD are the wrong here

It's not the same department. One is Baltimore City and this is Baltimore county. Close in proximity but two different departments. County wraps around the city and can be rough in some areas but definitely different than Baltimore city itself.

Did they determine if the police shot the kid? Last night they were still trying to determine how the kid was hit. Police shot first and apparently hit her, she fired back 5 times so they shot her again. They were initially questioning if the mom had shot the kid while firing wildly back at them.

wtf would you think to use tear gas?! Tear gas aren't sleeping gas! You would cause the woman to panic from being unable to breathe and risk her firing blindly. You would also risk suffocating the child if they're too young!

Lime

Do you really believe the system is so corrupted that they would send a swat team to take out an innocent black woman?

Yes. They paralyze old brown men and empty magazines into unarmed teenagers and shoot a person lying down with his hands up and they magically break a teenagers spine, so yeah I wouldn't be surprised to see that they send a swat team against a black woman

Valhelm

contribute something
Yes. They paralyze old brown men and empty magazines into unarmed teenagers and shoot a person lying down with his hands up and they magically break a teenagers spine, so yeah I wouldn't be surprised to see that they send a swat team against a black woman

We need bottom-up reform as soon as possible

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
https://www.facebook.com/ilpvideo/videos/1359066224122440/

She was really mentally ill and the fact that she tried to brainwash her children is disgusting.

It really doesn't suprise me that she would pull a gun on the police officers after a standoff.

Fuck me.

All of this, "They will have to kill me." Over a traffic ticket.

She probably LOST IT when they came to her home.

It's always sad to see someone so mentally ill, who isn't getting the help they need.

Damn when the kid started crying.

Nevasleep

Terrible story. I just feel maybe it would have ended differently in other countries.
They didn't need to enter the house, could have let the standoff continue....but this is an armchair opinion.

Terrible story. I just feel maybe it would have ended differently in other countries.
They didn't need to enter the house, could have let the standoff continue....but this is an armchair opinion.
That's what police in most other developed countries would normally do. But America is not like most other countries. It has the highest levels of gun ownership in the world, the highest levels of gun crimes in the developed world, and the highest levels of police brutality in the developed world. American police are more aggressive than police forces elsewhere because American society in general is more violent as a result of its gun culture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom