• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Ops 3 pre-orders are significantly higher than Advanced Warfare

Given the numbers on Halo 5 in the UK, it seems like this is the shooter everyone is buying this Holiday season. Can't say I'm surprised. The beta seemed to do wonders for them and the Treyarch CODs tend to be pretty well received.

I thought the campaign for Ghosts was fine. CoD games in general are good for a nice rollercoaster campaign. But the ending was absolutely atrocious. So bad that they should just dump the Ghosts brand altogether and do something else.

Sojgat

But the numbers !

Nah I disagree, Black Ops 2 was great.

Standard future missions were mostly great, but all the missions set in the past were garbage.

The strikeforce missions were a mess. At least they tried something new though.

You can't be serious. I smelled Irons being a bad guy from a mile away. And when that twist came, I just raised my arms in a "See?" way.

BO1 was way more complex as a story and the fact that, in the end, Mason thought HE was Reznov, was a very cool twist.

BO2 had choices for the player that made a BIG difference in the game's endings.

AW was predictable as hell. It was only saved by Kevin Spacey..

It wasn't a bad game, but it couldn't touch BO with a 10 foot pole.

I just can't agree with this at all. The AW campaign was so boring to me with no memorable characters or set piece moments. I hated the way the game was presented with each new level introducing a mechanic which was then hardly utilized again with some pointless upgrade system between each level. It also had way too many QTEs which for some dumb reason used white text which wasn't easily readable to the player. It was just very dry and I was hoping for some Kevin Spacey scenery chewing, which I did not get!

Black Ops 1 begins with you assasinating the fake Fidel Castro for god sake, and the treyarch games have a number of memorable characters and moments throughout.

Story isn't the whole experience (AW's is still better).

Encounter design, mission variety, and tactical freedom are all the best in the series. AW lets you approach a number of missions in completely different ways, something many players didn't realize even after completing the campaign. It allows you to go completely off the scripted path at some points. Experiment in missions like Sentinel, Bio Lab, and Throttle. You might be surprised what happens.

It also gets bonus points for no Sam Worthington.

I disliked the single player for Black Ops 2. I didn't like the changes they made. I honestly prefer a quick five hour rollercoaster campaign in my COD that doesn't require any sort of resource management or even decision making involved. FOLLOW the leader. I prefer dumb and full of fun.

The multiplayer was great though.

zsynqx

Standard future missions were mostly great, but all the missions set in the past were garbage.

The strikeforce missions were a mess. At least they tried something new though.

Story isn't the whole experience (AW's is still better).

Encounter design, mission variety, and tactical freedom are all the best in the series. AW lets you approach a number of missions in completely different ways, something many players didn't realize even after completing the campaign. It allows you to go completely off the scripted path at some points. Experiment in missions like Sentinel, Bio Lab, and Throttle. You might be surprised what happens.

It also gets bonus points for no Sam Worthington.

The mission variety is good and all but I hated how they got that variety by gating systems which had already been introduced, For example boost jump is only available in certain missions and same for the grappling hook. The encounters should have been designed to allow you to utilize these different tools to encourage multiple playstyles rather than just forcing a stealth level where you suddenly have invisibility but no boost jump etc. Missions like Sentinal. don't encourage you to experiment but lock you into a specific playstyle, stealth here, where you can no longer use abilities you have already been taught. Areas which it succeeded in this regard are the grenade toggling which actually allowed you to mix things up throughout the game.

How would you rank all of the campaigns out of interest?

For me it would be Co4>Blops1>Mw2>WaW=Blops2>>>AW>MW3=Ghosts

I know this. Everyone in my circle and beyond is buying this game and most of them are buying it digitally. Really crazy how this game came along and the beta was really fucking good. I can't wait!

jorgejjvr

After getting two bad cods, the beta did this game wonders

I think most of us who played it agreed we are getting a great (finally) cod.

I played that beta more than the previous two games, can't wait to have fun with cod again

Keasar

And here I thought the Advanced Warfare singleplayer was actually pretty good and made me like Call of Duty for the first time since CoD4. :(

The multiplayer I can't say as much, I've never been into CoD multiplayer that much since I quit it in MW2 but I thought the jetpacks was at least a fun mechanic, its not like it made it any more chaotic than the CoD multiplayer already was with all the random batshit perks, grenades, explosions fucking everywhere going on.

I'd assume the beta helped immensely.

But for me AW was trash, ghosts I enjoyed once I hit a certain point. AW story was to vanilla for me as well, I like crazy shit in my cod campaign so ghost was fun. Can't wait to see if treyarch go crazy.

Ozorov

I read this on twitter "Black Ops III has... -Campaign -Nightmares -Multiplayer -Gun game -Mods and mapping -Dead Ops Arcade 2 -Free Run -Zombies "

What's Nightmares, Gun Game, Dead Ops Arcade 2 and Free Run?

Sojgat

The mission variety is good and all but I hated how they got that variety by gating systems which had already been introduced, For example boost jump is only available in certain missions and same for the grappling hook. The encounters should have been designed to allow you to utilize these different tools to encourage multiple playstyles rather than just forcing a stealth level where you suddenly have invisibility but no boost jump etc. Missions like Sentinal. don't encourage you to experiment but lock you into a specific playstyle, stealth here, where you can no longer use abilities you have already been taught. Areas which it succeeded in this regard are the grenade toggling which actually allowed you to mix things up throughout the game.

How would you rank all of the campaigns out of interest?

For me it would be Co4>Blops1>Mw2>WaW=Blops2>>>AW>MW3=Ghosts

I definitely agree with what you're saying about gating the abilities. However, even though it's a forced stealth section, Sentinel does let you approach the mission in your own way without having to follow a friendly AI the whole time, and it lets you explore off the critical path to a surprising degree. I love how all the guests at that party have lengthy conversations you can eavesdrop on. Also, one of the other stealth sections can actually be bypassed by choosing to fight the overwhelming enemy forces instead (try that in any other COD).

There is a much more ambitious game that reveals itself in places, but it seems to have been pared back for whatever reason. I'm looking forward to Sledgehammer's next campaign to see how much further they take things.

Every year around this time I say to myself 'This year is the year I finally buy one of these Call of Duty games.' But I never do.

Should I do?

Mifec

After getting two bad cods, the beta did this game wonders

I think most of us who played it agreed we are getting a great (finally) cod.

I played that beta more than the previous two games, can't wait to have fun with cod again

Pretty much the same thing that happened to me, played the beta more than Ghosts and AW multi together. Was satisfied so I decided to buy it. The mods and dedi servers on PC were announced 2h after I bought it so that was a nice surprise.

zsynqx

I read this on twitter "Black Ops III has... -Campaign -Nightmares -Multiplayer -Gun game -Mods and mapping -Dead Ops Arcade 2 -Free Run -Zombies "

What's Nightmares, Gun Game, Dead Ops Arcade 2 and Free Run?

Nightmares is
when you complete the campaign the missions get remixed with different enemies/zombies I believe

Dead ops is a top down shooter mode with zombies.

Gun game is a mode where everyone starts with a pistol and each time you get a kill you get a new weapon. The first player to cycle through all the weapons wins. You go back in the weapon cycle if you get knifed or tomahawked.

Free run I believe is a mode with races/challenges which incorporate your new running/movement abilities.

I definitely agree with what you're saying about gating the abilities. However, even though it's a forced stealth section, Sentinel does let you approach the mission in your own way without having to follow a friendly AI the whole time, and it lets you explore off the critical path to a surprising degree. I love how all the guests at that party have lengthy conversations you can eavesdrop on. Also, one of the other stealth sections can actually be bypassed by choosing to fight the overwhelming enemy forces instead (try that in any other COD).

There is a much more ambitious game that reveals itself in places, but it seems to have been pared back for whatever reason. I'm looking forward to Sledgehammer's next campaign to see how much further they take things.

Yep, I agree Sledgehammer have potential and the campaign did have signs of greatness. :L

Chris1

Is ghosts 2 actually happening? I hope so cause I enjoyed the campaign, same with AW.

Ghosts 2? Probably not. Will be MW4 or an entire new series.

I don't think Activision or IW are stupid enough to go ahead with Ghosts 2

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Blops 3 will most certainly be better than ghost and AW because Treyarch is simply a better studio
Man, how far they've come. From porting Neversoft games to the Dreamcast and making odd sword combat games to this. Good for them.

Vegito

Banned
Ghosts 2? Probably not. Will be MW4 or an entire new series.

I don't think Activision or IW are stupid enough to go ahead with Ghosts 2

:( hopefully they continue it at some point even if the sequel doesnt have ghosts in the title.

Sojgat

Every year around this time I say to myself 'This year is the year I finally buy one of these Call of Duty games.' But I never do.

Should I do?

Everything shown so far has looked awesome, and there's a huge amount of varied content this year. There's even a free running challenge mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dA0Iyuzeg8A

tumblr_niwf9lBNff1qjshvjo1_400.gif

NoWayOut

I'll wait for the reviews and see. My last COD was the original BO on PC. Now if I get it it will be for PS4 and mostly for the zombie mode. Are the reviews coming out right after release?

Ozorov

I'll wait for the reviews and see. My last COD was the original BO on PC. Now if I get it it will be for PS4 and mostly for the zombie mode. Are the reviews coming out right after release?
"Call of Duty: Black Ops III reviews drop on November 5 at 9 PM PST."

Mikeside

This is the first time I've pre-ordered a Call of Duty game.

I enjoyed Black Ops, am currently enjoying Black Ops 2 and hugely looking forward to all the zombies fun in the third one.

I'm probably not the same case as most people buying CoD, though, as I don't really have any interest in the multiplayer (though I may play some Zombies with a friend)

I haven't bought one since CoD2(360 Launch) and I'm buying this year. Jump in ;)

I'm in the same boat! I think I'll buy it.

The best cod in 3 years, you definitely should

Everything shown so far has looked awesome, and there's a huge amount of varied content this year. There's even a free running challenge mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dA0Iyuzeg8A

tumblr_niwf9lBNff1qjshvjo1_400.gif

y'all gon make me do dis

Whompa02

Tried playing Advanced Warfare a few days ago after a log break and I got absolutely stomped online. The COD AW kiddies are nuts.

I'm gunna get BLOPS 3 day 1 in hopes to stay on top this time.

I actually thought AW was a breath of fresh air, but the pacing in the single player was atrocious. Story beats come and go without any impact. Nice to see Blops 3 is getting high numbers.

jorgejjvr

Tried playing Advanced Warfare a few days ago after a log break and I got absolutely stomped online. The COD AW kiddies are nuts.

I'm gunna get BLOPS 3 day 1 in hopes to stay on top this time.
This is my first cod on gaf

What should I expect?

Do you guys play together, have some sort of competition, etc?

Top Bottom