• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Ops 3 pre-orders are significantly higher than Advanced Warfare

5amshift

Banned
My questions is, when is the OT?
I sped through both Ghost and AW campaigns and hated them. Didn't even attempt to play BOII campaign when I had my 360..

I'll definitely give BOIII campaign a shot with all the talk about how they're revamping single player now.

scitek

Is this one going to have dedicated servers on PC? It just always seems like Treyarch goes out of their way to deliver a ton of content, as well as try to change things up at least a little bit rather than simply shit out another game. Not to mention, they always deliver a solid PC port. I think people appreciate that and it's contributed to their games becoming the most popular.

Wait, I thought AW was considered good?
I don't think pre-order numbers would be going up if AW soured people.

AW is great. I can't even believe that some people can compare AW and Ghosts.

I guess that AW multiplayer was just too hard for people not used to movement.

Ozorov

Is this one going to have dedicated servers on PC? It just always seems like Treyarch goes out of their way to deliver a ton of content, as well as try to change things up at least a little bit rather than simply shit out another game. Not to mention, they always deliver a solid PC port. I think people appreciate that and it's contributed to their games becoming the most popular.

Yes. http://www.gamespot.com/articles/call-of-duty-black-ops-3-confirmed-for-dedicated-s/1100-6426961/

Lothars

COD AW is the best call of duty since 4 but I thought Treyarch made mediocre games until Black Ops 2 which was really good. I am sure Black Ops 3 will be good.

scitek

boom.gif

Everything shown so far has looked awesome, and there's a huge amount of varied content this year. There's even a free running challenge mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dA0Iyuzeg8A

And this is the type of stuff I'm talking about. They put little things like this all over the place in their games that end up adding a good amount of content to the overall package. Looks fun, and it's a great way to show off the new mobility of your character.

considering an anti cod guy like me actually enjoyed the beta, the marketing team wouldve been doing an awful job if it were lower than aw.

not surprised at all.

Good good, this looks to have righted the ship after the last few dodgy entries, so hopefully this will sell gangbusters.

I mean I'm not even into the BattleCOD games, and think this looks worth playing. Even my fiancée, who hates first person games, wants to give it a go.

Madness

Man, I remember years ago when the groupthink was so down on Treyarch versus Infinity Ward. What a reversal.

Well is it still the same Infinity Ward? Most of the staff followed the founders to Respawn. Don't know why people forget this tidbit. This is not the same Infinity Ward that made CoD2, CoD4:MW or MW2. And back then, all Treyarch could do was play copycat catchup with IW.

Even now, Treyarch is utilizing a lot of features found in TitanFall for Black Ops 3. So it's still ongoing.

Keasar

Everything shown so far has looked awesome, and there's a huge amount of varied content this year. There's even a free running challenge mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dA0Iyuzeg8A

tumblr_niwf9lBNff1qjshvjo1_400.gif

Though honestly, the wall running in CoDBlops 3 was pretty rubbish when I tried it out. It was slow, awkward, made you a even easier target for enemies and it was overly difficult to get running on a wall because you had to face-smash it for the game to react "Oh, you wanted to run on this?"

Lucifon

AW was great, and that's why the preorders are higher most likely. The preorder effect isn't felt until the game after. Therefore AW had fairly bad preorders because Ghosts was such a poor showing. Secondly the Black Ops name holds weight.

Whompa02

This is my first cod on gaf

What should I expect?

Do you guys play together, have some sort of competition, etc?

First COD? Well, It's COD on steroids. Literally. I'd recommend Modern Warfare 1 or 2 and Blops 2 as a good starting point, but if this is def your first, then expect a lot of fast paced stuff to happen online, with not much explanation. Offline, expect a lot of random stuff to happen in the story, and Kevin Spacy telling you what to do.

I just played randomly online. Got crushed. Turned off PS4. Not sure if there's a group or anything.

Luq

why so much hate for AW? Ghosts was so-so, but AW really brought sth new to the mp table and had really decent campaign. I had better time with it than with BO2. It was best COD since MW2 for me at least.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
I was getting burnt out by Call of Duty and was pretty cynical about the series for years despite playing all of the titles more than any other series (hundreds of hours in multiplayer for several of them, mostly MW2, MW3, and Black Ops 1), but since taking a break from the series over half a year ago after playing Ghosts and Advanced Warfare as my last COD titles, I've grown to appreciate the series more.

There are legitimate issues with Advanced Warfare, even more so Ghosts, but they are nowhere near as bad as I once thought and made them out to be. I do agree with some people here, however, that Advanced Warfare's campaign was nothing to brag about; in fact, I thought it was the most boring Call of Duty campaign I had ever played, even if there were alternatives by which missions could be executed. I vastly prefer Ghosts' universe to Advanced Warfare's.

But ultimately, I don't think I'll ever enjoy a campaign as much as I did with Modern Warfare 2 and Black Ops 1, which is unfortunate.

With all of that said, I can't wait to grab this game.

I think both of them have some good stuff regarding the gameplay. But in terms of content, weapons, modes.... BO3 already won.

That's fine, I am sure all that extra content won't keep me playing the game though.

Edit: I am not saying Blops3 plays poorly though, its a big step up compared to AW.

MilesTeg

Banned
The spawns and map design are what killed AW for me. Combined with the exo jump, someone could be behind you at just about any time. It was dumb. And many guns felt underpowered, particularly pistols (which I loved using in BO2). Felt like I was shooting a bb gun.

The spawns and map design are what killed AW for me. Combined with the exo jump, someone could be behind you at just about any time. It was dumb. And many guns felt underpowered, particularly pistols (which I loved using in BO2). Felt like I was shooting a bb gun.

Say what!? My god man... the pistols in AW were some of the most powerful, if not the most powerful, in any CoD. They were glorious. It was the rest of the game that was bleh lol

t0rment

AW was great, and that's why the preorders are higher most likely. The preorder effect isn't felt until the game after. Therefore AW had fairly bad preorders because Ghosts was such a poor showing. Secondly the Black Ops name holds weight.

lol no, people prefer to play BO2 on last gen than that shitty aw filled with microtransactions.

LordRaiden

Neo Member
This is my first cod on gaf

What should I expect?

Do you guys play together, have some sort of competition, etc?
I think I can only speak for myself, but I'm not really into clan stuff and playing on predetermined times.

I usually just turn on the console and go online.

aravuus

I think I can only speak for myself, but I'm not really into clan stuff and playing on predetermined times.

I usually just turn on the console and go online.

Yeah, I don't remember people organizing this kind of stuff too much with AW

But ask in the OT and of course you'll get people to play with, probably around the clock

MilesTeg

Banned
Say what!? My god man... the pistols in AW were some of the most powerful, if not the most powerful, in any CoD. They were glorious. It was the rest of the game that was bleh lol

I dunno. They felt garbage to me. I got diamond pistols in BO2 too.

sonto340

lol no, people prefer to play BO2 on last gen than that shitty aw filled with microtransactions.
Haven't spent a red cent aside from the $60 to get in and regularly clean up in AW so.
Cosmetic Microtransactions are 100% okay. Let the people who want to obsess over looking like they want do so. As long as gameplay remains unaffected who cares.

nib95

Banned
Re-watching some of my old beta gameplay, can't wait to get back to it

https://youtu.be/cR5LPLFBSd0

One of the best scores I was able to capture in screenshot -

FB_IMG_1440465862792.jpg

Edit: it is not my first cod, I meant first cod where I will be part of gaf and involved in gaf

Seriously, this looks great. Good spawns (unlike Advanced Warfare and Halo 5), great graphics, a subtle amount of additional mobility, not an over emphasis on it, decent movement and animations and just generally good engagements, without too many crazy perks or over the top shenanigans. It's not completely manic, but still action packed enough for a good time.

I'm seriously tempted to pick this up over Battlefront.

You can't be serious. I smelled Irons being a bad guy from a mile away. And when that twist came, I just raised my arms in a "See?" way.

BO1 was way more complex as a story and the fact that, in the end, Mason thought HE was Reznov, was a very cool twist.

BO2 had choices for the player that made a BIG difference in the game's endings.

AW was predictable as hell. It was only saved by Kevin Spacey..

It wasn't a bad game, but it couldn't touch BO with a 10 foot pole.

I just can't agree with this at all. The AW campaign was so boring to me with no memorable characters or set piece moments. I hated the way the game was presented with each new level introducing a mechanic which was then hardly utilized again with some pointless upgrade system between each level. It also had way too many QTEs which for some dumb reason used white text which wasn't easily readable to the player. It was just very dry and I was hoping for some Kevin Spacey scenery chewing, which I did not get!

Black Ops 1 begins with you assasinating the fake Fidel Castro for god sake, and the treyarch games have a number of memorable characters and moments throughout.

BOI & BOII >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> AW

Titanfall is better than Blops 3 in terms of gameplay. There I said it.

They're both fun games.

From the Beta it feels like Treyarch has done the best job of splitting the difference between COD and Titanfall movement. You can use it if you want but you won't be drastically at a huge disadvantage without it.

That said I think the beta did a great job of getting people on board for it.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
Nah. They prefer to play BO2 because they just can't stand how the movement works in AW. It's not a bad game at all. Some people just don't like changes.

Changes are fine if they don't make regular gameplay a mess. Exosuits, in my opinion, turned matches into shitshows. I was always relegated to playing non-exo matches because after a week, I couldn't take the exosuits anymore. I like mobility within reason, but AW's exo movements in multiplayer did not make it enjoyable. At least not to me.

AW was ok, maybe because Ghosts was so terribly bad AW just only had to be 'ok' to get a pass I dunno.

But the fact is everyone knows Treyarch are the best so I'm not surprised their finally next CoD game has people hyped. Everyone loves Black Ops so going with that brand is instantly going to get people interested just over the fact that its the 3rd installment.

Plus the beta was good.

All signs point to having fun.

I believe in Treyarch.

Sure but lets put it this way, the last call of duty game I bought for my self was Black Ops.

I got a bit bored during the beta, but I spent too much time with the PS4 version. The PC version was faster paced so that felt a bit better, but still grinding unlocks seems to be more of a reason to stick around than the gameplay.

Gotcha. Well, i've purchased them all from CoD through AW (unfortunately lol) and BOII was the last "great" CoD IMHO. BOIII, from all i've played and seen, looks to be another great package. How does the PC version play? I haven't seriously played a PC FPS since UT lol. I got turned off the the competitive playspace... crumbled with hacks and mods and the aim bots and the like.

Top Bottom