• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: Impressions After 40 Hours (EDGE)

Spineker

Banned
That line about the weapons has multiple ways it could be interpreted. Did they mean they only found 6 UNIQUE weapons, or 6 TYPES of weapons.

Blade Whip
Twin Blades
Kirkhammer
Saw Cleaver
Sword/Sythe
Greatsword/Longsword
Greataxe

Among a few others plus multiple ranged weapons. Maybe these are just the different types of weapons we will encounter throughout the game, but they're cosmetically different depending on how they were acquired e.g a boss drop.

Dark_castle

One thing I disagree with many people on this thread is the abundant of same-y weapons in Dark Souls. I mean sure aesthetically Longsword and Silver Knight Straight Sword looks similar, but their moveset are quite unique, directly affecting the battle system. The range, the speed, the different swing/thrust, it all counts. By having more options, you can pick and choose which one fits your playstyle the most.

That said, I'm sure Miyazaki knows what he's doing, and with the weapons being to transform, I expect at least decent amount of variety and weapon choices.

Grimløck;155613979 said:

They're holding some type of Bloodborne event in Japan right now

b_30hwruwaeklg_0eus2.jpg

b_39ykpuiaawjzmomu81.jpg

neoism

Come on weve been over this so many times. How can the dude be providing help and working on DaS2 when he has his own game to be developing?

People who enjoy Dark Souls 2 more than 1 have this really weird feel about them. As if theyre upset that majority of players prefer the older games to their favorite Ds2. And always try to find reasons as to why DaS2s changes to the formula were better/okay.

Sorry man if you like what you like I couldn't care less you do you mang :p, but the overall hate for DS2 is just sad, but of course its just opinions, and its really only their because Miyazaki didn't direct it. He still works for FROM and wouldn't let DS2 release unless he thought it was good enough.. Its like the ppls that love his games only do because they're not for a wider audience.. A lot of people that played DS2 that missed the others and now will buy this or the others game because of that.. like me... if I hated DS2 like most of gaf. I wouldn't even be thinking about this game.. but from my point of view.. his games just didn't click... I posted a more detailed post about it awhile back but. I've even tried to go back to DS and I really wished I'd had PSN+ at the time to have gotten Demon Souls for free.. I would have given it another chance... I've watched streamers go through the game like it was nothing remembering the insane unfun i had in those areas.. not really sure why.. Hell DS2 REALLY didn't click with me until the lava area..It's probably because that's really when I understood DS2 gave the player move control overr alot more in the game then in DemS&DS. I also never thought I would enjoy pvp at all, didn't even do it until I was like SL 200 or something...

Also a question does anyone know if there is a new game + in this game like DS1&2 and you can keep you levels and what not... I was never a fan of making new characters I have one character in DS2 thats SL 288 with SM 55mil... <3 that character.. I will also be fucking crushed if their isn't a way to respec in this game... you now more choices. Miyazaki doesn't seem to like doing that for gamers.

I know this game isn't a DARK SOULS game even though it is a little bit lol :p. I guess for some of gaf DS2 was like if Kojima hadn't directed a mgs game instead of the man himself...( which will happen one day and gaf will melt lol) I'm not comparing the two just an example. Like I've said of all his main titles only one was good,(
opinions how do they work
) and for me it was a game I didn't love I just liked it... I'm just worried a little thats all.. because I don't want to hate this game... Hell maybe I'm unconsciously trying to downplay my excitement and wanting for this game so I will be surprised with it like I was with DS2.

Game4life

Banned
Sorry man if you like what you like I couldn't care less you do you mang :p, but the overall hate for DS2 is just sad, but of course its just opinions, and its really only their because Miyazaki didn't direct it. He still works for FROM and wouldn't let DS2 release unless he thought it was good enough.. Its like the ppls that love his games only do because they're not for a wider audience.. A lot of people that played DS2 that missed the others and now will buy this or the others game because of that.. like me... if I hated DS2 like most of gaf. I wouldn't even be thinking about this game.. but from my point of view.. his games just didn't click... I posted a more detailed post about it awhile back but. I've even tried to go back to DS and I really wished I'd had PSN+ at the time to have gotten Demon Souls for free.. I would have given it another chance... I've watched streamers go through the game like it was nothing remembering the insane unfun i had in those areas.. not really sure why.. Hell DS2 REALLY didn't click with me until the lava area..It's probably because that's really when I understood DS2 gave the player move control overr alot more in the game then in DemS&DS. I also never thought I would enjoy pvp at all, didn't even do it until I was like SL 200 or something...

Also a question does anyone know if there is a new game + in this game like DS1&2 and you can keep you levels and what not... I was never a fan of making new characters I have one character in DS2 thats SL 288 with SM 55mil... <3 that character.. I will also be fucking crushed if their isn't a way to respec in this game... you now more choices. Miyazaki doesn't seem to like doing that for gamers.

I know this game isn't a DARK SOULS game even though it is a little bit lol :p. I guess for some of gaf DS2 was like if Kojima hadn't directed a mgs game instead of the man himself...( which will happen one day and gaf will melt lol) I'm not comparing the two just an example. Like I've said of all his main titles only one was good,(
) and for me it was a game didn't love I just liked it... I'm just worried a little thats all.. because I don't want to hate this game... Hell maybe I'm unconsciously trying to downplay my excitement and wanting for this game so I will be surprised with it like I was with DS2.

Not sure if this is a serious post.

I hope it's not too too difficult, Dark Souls was too brutal to really enjoy IMO

Not really. All you gotta do honestly after you understand the controls is pay attention. alot of games now dont mind passive attention but the souls games require you to give the game the full attention it deserves and the game will reward you in return.

Zaventem

One thing I disagree with many people on this thread is the abundant of same-y weapons in Dark Souls. I mean sure aesthetically Longsword and Silver Knight Straight Sword looks similar, but their moveset are quite unique, directly affecting the battle system. The range, the speed, the different swing/thrust, it all counts. By having more options, you can pick and choose which one fits your playstyle the most.

That said, I'm sure Miyazaki knows what he's doing, and with the weapons being to transform, I expect at least decent amount of variety and weapon choices.

I agree with you we did get weapon clones but even if it had the exact same moveset the attack or swing speed or length was sure to differ. I'll be ok with what we have but I was expecting multiple similar weapons in the same class. Like multiple variations of axe halberds, saw cleavers etc.

Not really. All you gotta do honestly after you understand the controls is pay attention. alot of games now dont mind passive attention but the souls games require you to give the game the full attention it deserves and the game will reward you in return.

I've had it pre-ordered since it was announced but the level of hype on Gaf is crazy to me lol

Can I buy the Edge in the US or is it a UK magazine and only purchasable there? (I recently moved to the US so I'm not that familiar with the lokal magazines)

I've had it pre-ordered since it was announced but the level of hype on Gaf is crazy to me lol

Lol i guess you gotta get used to the Miyazaki love. Just looking at the games art direction its in a league of its own and the atmosphere is almost choking. I can only wonder how it would be like actually playing the game lights off with a good set of headphones plugged in instead of pouncing at these previews and trailers. Ugh 15 more days!

) and for me it was a game I didn't love I just liked it... I'm just worried a little thats all.. because I don't want to hate this game... Hell maybe I'm unconsciously trying to downplay my excitement and wanting for this game so I will be surprised with it like I was with DS2.

...Okay. Again, Miyazaki didnt direct DaS2 so what they did was probably of little concern to him. Dude didnt become president of the company till months after DaS2 released. They would have released regardless of what he thinks about it.

And yea the reasons you didnt like DaS are probably the reasons I loved it. Of course not all people will like it not knocking you for it. Some people may enjoy the extra acessibility DaS2 brings like yourself, thats fine. Just saying stop trying so hard to validate DaS2 to people who can see why it falls short in light of the former games.

Like ive said before I think its a good game on its own. But not a masterpiece like the others.

OT: Hope you do get and enjoy BB!

Hypron

Just saying stop trying so hard to validate DaS2 to people who can see why it falls short in light of the former games.

I think it's a bit funny to say that when you probably have three times as many posts in every Souls related thread saying "DaS2 is shit", which always shit up the conversation.

Sanctuary

Pretty sure people are saying that about Dark Souls 2. Because most of the weapons in each class share movesets.

Hypron

Pretty sure people are saying that about Dark Souls 2. Because most of the weapons in each class share movesets.

The moveset reuse is quite similar in both games tbh, DS2 just has more weapons so it's more obvious there.

Anyway, I really welcome Bloodborne's emphasis on quality of quantity. I love that all the weapons have a lot more moves than in the Souls games and that they are all very distinct from one another.

That's more creepier than every beast on Bloodborne.

Except that Miyazaki doesn't rely on "creepy" designs. His design ethos is: refinement, elegance and dignity.

http://kotaku.com/bloodborne-is-so-much-like-a-souls-game-its-spooky-1589470022
Kotaku said:
Dark Souls 2 is a great game by any measure, but it was missing one thing that Souls' creator Hidetaka Miyazaki does perhaps better than anyone else: majesty. In his words, "refinement, elegance and dignity". When one of his designers handed him a design swarming with maggots for Dark Souls' Undead Dragon during that game's development, he handed it back and said "This isn't dignified. Don't rely on the gross factor to portray an undead dragon. Can't you instead try to convey the deep sorrow of a magnificent beast doomed to a slow and possibly endless descent into ruin?"

The interview in question is in the Dark Souls Design Works book:
http://amzn.com/1926778898

Every enemy that we've seen in the various Bloodborne trailers exemplify that design ethos.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I am getting my ass whipped today

At least 20 lashes

Also, all my furniture in my living room except TV and a chair has been sold

I'm ready

neoism

...Okay. Again, Miyazaki didnt direct DaS2 so what they did was probably of little concern to him. Dude didnt become president of the company till months after DaS2 released. They would have released regardless of what he thinks about it.

And yea the reasons you didnt like DaS are probably the reasons I loved it. Of course not all people will like it not knocking you for it. Some people may enjoy the extra acessibility DaS2 brings like yourself, thats fine. Just saying stop trying so hard to validate DaS2 to people who can see why it falls short in light of the former games.

Like ive said before I think its a good game on its own. But not a masterpiece like the others.

OT: Hope you do get and enjoy BB!

ahha holy shit I had no clue he was the president of the company .. I highly disagree just because he didn't direct doesn't mean he wouldn't or didn't care of its quality its "from" his company of course he would care.. but yeah what-evers I 100% of the time never post long posts like this its the first time in like forever guess I was really bored or something.. my opinion in 100% right just as is yours.. I'm not trying to hard trust me I really don't care what people like, or dislike. But I will get it but not sure if its day one now( its only going to cost me $35 as of now anyway) hopefully more gameplay and a shit load more info thats not ambiguous as all fucking hell will come out before that game...

Top Bottom