• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: Impressions After 40 Hours (EDGE)

Shengar

The Man himself:

B_4R2QEUcAA7BE9.jpg:large

The Legendary Big M

ahha holy shit I had no clue he was the president of the company .. I highly disagree just because he didn't direct doesn't mean he wouldn't or didn't care of its quietly its "from" his company of course he would care.. but yeah what-evers I 100% of the time never post long posts like this its the first time in like forever guess I was really bored or something.. my opinion in 100% right just as is yours.. I'm not trying to hard trust me I really don't care what people like, or dislike. But I will get it but not sure if its day one now( its only going to cost me $35 as of now anyway) hopefully more gameplay and a shit load more info thats not ambiguous as all fucking hell will come out before that game...

Just so you know he became president in May which was after DS2 released. In all cases he was most likely still hard at work on Bloodborne while giving a glancing eye at ds2.

Except that Miyazaki doesn't rely on "creepy" designs. His design ethos is: refinement, elegance and dignity.

http://kotaku.com/bloodborne-is-so-much-like-a-souls-game-its-spooky-1589470022

The interview in question is in the Dark Souls Design Works book:
http://amzn.com/1926778898

Every enemy that we've seen in the various Bloodborne trailers exemplify that design ethos.
Thats an incredible perspective he has but that doesnt mean something isnt creepy though.

I think it's a bit funny to say that when you probably have three times as many posts in every Souls related thread saying "DaS2 is shit", which always shit up the conversation.

Examples of where ive straight up said Dark Souls 2 is shit out of context or when not replying to another poster's opinions on the game?

Love the consumable aspect to resources this time around. Blood vials don't recharge, bullets don't recharge, and gadgets (which are basically spells it seems) don't recharge either. Every use of an item will require at least a bit of forward thinking and risk/reward.

moonbeam

2AdEPT

LOL GAF has gone nuts:

Because gamers on the internet mostly just like to do one thing: complain.

First it's "We want new IP's" and "Why do we only get sequels? I'm tired of every developer milking the same Ip's" and " I liked the first few games but now it's more of the same" and "This milking and recycling is why I dislike modern games, back in the day bla bla bla"

Then the devs make a new IP that's heavily influenced by their past work but is still aiming to be its own new thing

And how is it recieved?: "Why isn't this exactly like their previous game?" "I hate all the changes, why can't this just be more of the same?"
Fbh complaining about complainers = the irony.....
hypocricy confirmed.

I've never played a Souls game but, this has really piqued my interest. The hype has taken hold of me. Day one purchase.
Good for you for taking the plunge. Doesnt sound like you are afraid.
You will be young skywalker...you will be!
I'm sorry but how do review a game without beating it, and no replay value? how do you even know when u have not started new game+ , souls games ng+ are one the best and I expected bloodborne will be the same.
Um, they said that the game has a surprise around every corner and as such they said the replayability would be less in their opinion? (not vets of the game obviously.) That's all they were saying but GAF goes batty from one guy's post that erronneously assumed it was about low weapon counts, which wasnt likley and is now confirmed to be false:

Why do Souls threads always get.... weird?

*backs out slowly.

Hahaaahahahahhaha...best post of thread. I'm excited as the rest of you but lets maintain minimum decorum here guys and gals! You can come on back now RL!?!?!
*opens door and uses the "come along" gesture (gestures beckoningly with a slow moving hand)

Thats an incredible perspective he has but that doesnt mean something isnt creepy though.

What's creepy with Miyazaki's games is usually the atmosphere/environment. More like the fear of the unknown enemies lurking in the shadows and around every corner.

Actually going face-to-face with the monsters and enemies in Miyazaki-designed games has been more empathy-related as opposed to feeling disgust and revulsion.

For example:
5sXiB70.gif

While you might see this enemy as creepy, I see this enemy as a diseased individual driven mad by his symptoms and about to be put out of his misery.

This is the sort of artistic direction that I like: one that has me respect my enemies as opposed to just completely writing them off like what Battlefield Hardline ended up doing.

The rats from the alpha were gross though...

Which rats do you mean?

What's creepy with Miyazaki's games is usually the atmosphere/environment. More like the fear of the unknown enemies lurking in the shadows and around every corner.

Actually going face-to-face with the monsters and enemies in Miyazaki-designed games has been more empathy-related as opposed to feeling disgust and revulsion.

For example:
5sXiB70.gif

While you might see this enemy as creepy, I see this enemy as a diseased individual driven mad by his symptoms and about to be put out of his misery.

This is the sort of artistic direction that I like: one that has me respect my enemies as opposed to just completely writing them off like what Battlefield Hardline ended up doing.

Which rats do you mean?
Yes, being a diseased indvidual being driven mad is indeed also creepy. Its a good thing. The quote before about the maggots, it wasnt creepy as much as it was nasty. Creepy is a good word as it get as the definition states, causing an unplesant feeling.

moonbeam

Which rats do you mean?

Sorry can't find an image. They were in part of the alpha that some players managed to glitch into. They looked like the rats that have appeared in all the videos except that they had
a large sore on their backs that was filled with pus. The sore even jiggled around
:(

2AdEPT

Quote about less replayability is a little worrying. Otherwise, you know, that all sounds very good.

Context people, context.

Sorry can't find an image. They were in part of the alpha that some players managed to glitch into. They looked like the rats that have appeared in all the videos except that they had
a large sore on their backs that was filled with pus. The sore even jiggled around
Yuck! pus filled rats are dignified?!?!?? I mean has no one played Demons' souls? THere were maggots, aborted babies, flies, filth an mosquitoes all over world 5 in Demons' .....all of the games have conglomerated masses of zombie-like horrors merged together in one pile of shit creature......something tells me some are taking his "dignity " quote out of context. He was talking only about the dragon there....obviously the Valley of defilement was a different setting, nothing about that place is dignified ...nothing. Neither was the real King Allant elegant or dignified, quite the opposite actually. Seems like there is a time and a place, a certian context, so to speak for elegance and dignity, and other situations where, disgust, horror, and repulsion are the contextual pieces he is going for. Prepare to Fly (or Die....but more from heart failure than the actual enemy) appears to be the mojo of Bloodborne....

Cyborg

Quote about less replayability is a little worrying. Otherwise, you know, that all sounds very good.

Dont worry, 40-hours in and still no finish is already great.
And how would they (EDGE) know what comes after the credits? I bet there will be a surprise for us.

Cant wait :) it will be my first new bought PS4 game.

So I caved in and watched the first 18 minutes video (wasn't too spoilery). I'm sure a lot of other people feel the same, but it's like this game was made for me! So hyped right now!

Hmm, because the only things that looked like a "rat" in any of the videos thus far is this one from the reveal announcement:
x5idAAF.gif

And the creature in the gif is a diseased dog. The in-game dogs still looked like dogs though.

Neiteio

For example:
5sXiB70.gif

Which rats do you mean?
Excellent post. I agree. With even the most grotesque and deranged enemies in a Miyazaki game, you get the distinct impression they're more tragic than despicable. Victims of circumstance and such. You feel for them as you're forced to fight them.

The character and monster designs are the best of the best imo. Miyazaki has the world's leading videogame concept artists and designers. I can't think of anything else that is on their level.

Looking specifically at monsters in games, the last great designs were from Konami's Silent Hill team perhaps.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Is Dark Souls 2 actually hated on GAF? Was gonna try it out on PS4 if I like Bloodborne

Ferr986

Is Dark Souls 2 actually hated on GAF? Was gonna try it out on PS4 if I like Bloodborne

Only by some that can't accept that a game can be good even if it's not at the same level as its prequel.

Don't miss Dark Souls 2 if you like Bloodborne. It's an awesome game.

Overside

Banned
Dont need no impressions after 40 hours to spoilerfy me.

Ive seen the game play, its KF/DS with a super fun Van Hellsing vibe. Im down.

Someday soon enough anyways.... When I get a used ps4 for super cheap and I can swim in a pile of super cheap used games, like Scrooge Freakin McDuck.

Top Bottom