• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: PVP Details, New Screenshots, HDD Size

So, I kill her and then the invading is off but co-op remains, and if she spawns before the location the invading is possible before you kill her?

No, you cannot play co-op without becoming open to invasions. Killing the maiden only disables invasions in solo play.

Saying "I want co-op without invasions" is the equivalent of saying "I want NG+ without stronger enemies." You cannot have that, it isn't the way this game works.

2AdEPT

It's really a shame, that PVE and PVP are locked together for those who never play PVP. Hell, even Destiny gave me the option to avoid the competitive side. Oh well, I guess I'll just play offline then.
Yeah I would try staying online first and only go offline as a last resort....there is simpy a great rush/feeling when you recognize someone else has entered your world..its much different (and superior imo) to chosen multiplayer and arenas. Dont be afraid of what you hvent tried...I hated getting invaded at first but after a while you will wish you got more invaders, more often.
This game had a beta right? What were people's thoughts/preview/review of how the game played and if they thought it will be good?
The link provided above is what I would link as well, but its from a vet perspective. Bloodborne will be well received by critics and vets alike, there is absolutely nothing indicating a lesser game than the others; rather there is every indication that there are going to be several improvements and cool new tweaks.
Thanks for this it explained alot. Now for a dumb question.

When the invader gets a point of sin do you lose one? Do I gather points by just playing the game and someone can steal them? Just wondering if I have to worry about getting invaded and losing progress. I have a feeling alot of players will be new to this and it's going to be a nightmare for some of us. I really don't want to play offline as that seems to defeat the purpose.
As I said above, dnt be afraid...even if you die, you will recover what you were carrying as long as you get back to where you died, but if you win you will potentially hit a jackpot of in-game currency. I say give it a chance, experience the rush of being invaded, try your best to get used to the mechanic, and embrace it....it makes it waay more fun game if you do. Also, you usually only get invaded rarely unless you are summonig OP help regardless...in previous games it became a thing to smash invaders by camping out with two helpers and ganking the poor invader....invaders have never had it easy....you are always going to be at an advantage, with them taking more of the risk than you will be by playing online.
Probably a stupid question:

I played through demons souls and dark souls (never played ds2), and did a small amount of invading / getting invaded - i recall being mostly successful but with bloodborne im hoping to do quite a bit of it

I guess my general question is - in the souls series, is the lock-on targeting used by the more proficient pvp'ers? are there any general rules or tips that the better pvp'ers seemed to exercise - in terms of the moment to moment combat? (I also know that it may be different with bloodborne but was hoping for a small understanding of the foundation of previous souls titles)

Just wondering, I guess i'm semi concerned that its doesnt just all come down to build and item selection, i remember hearing stories of everyone using "such an such ring" and "such and such enchantment" on "such and such sword", for example.

Hope that mess of a post makes sense, thanks in advance
Not a dumb question at all, a good one in fact. As you are right, the reason why souls is so popular morethan anything is that skill is rewarded, and evne the most twinked hacker who sucks at the game wont necessarily be able to beat a superiorly skilled player. The lock-on mechanic fits in with that.

The purpose for lock on is simply to have your character face the enemy you lock on to no matter what direction you are travelling, and any ranged weapons whether magic, bows or knives etc. will travel toward the locked on position of the enemy. THis is immensely useful when you want to retreat, as it allows you to run backwards while still in view of your assailant and spam projecitles while doign so for example. It is also very useful when you want to circle strafe your enemy and try to get behind them, (or when it is advantageous to trvavel non-linearly) again while facing them the whole time. It can easily get you killed however as you may get locked on to the wrong enemy, you can toggle enemies by mistake, and you may end up not moving nor attacking in the direction youreally want to. Because of this I would say that an intermediate player will play freestyle without locking on, ( and thereare many times when this is a better choice) but a truly advanced player usually uses lock on a lot, but knows how to cancel it to avoid the negatives, which are avoidable with practice.

Especially because the guns are now part of bloodborne, this mechanic will be one of them most important for a new player to master. Old players wil have to re-learn owing to the fact that bloodborne is faster and the backstep has become way more important....there have been reports that the lock on and backstep are tied and that you can't back step as far if you are not locked on...cant confirm this myself, but there are likely to be enough changes that new players wont be at as huge a disadvantage as they might think owing to vets having to relearn and get accumstomed to the new mechanics. Another example is triangle button does not toggle two handing but rather heals...people kept wasting heals in the alpha becuase of this.

No, you cannot play co-op without becoming open to invasions. Killing the maiden only disables invasions in solo play.

Saying "I want co-op without invasions" is the equivalent of saying "I want NG+ without stronger enemies." You cannot have that, it isn't the way this game works.

I'm not sure this is right. My understanding is that ringing your co-op bell spawns a bell maiden. Some areas have bell maidens by default too. I guess we will see for sure at launch.

Preordered this last week from Dell. I have never played a Souls game before, nor have I really read up or watched videos on the previous entries. Hopefully I am in for a treat.

tcrunch

^Per the ESRB rating there is a
partial view of a beheading
, so probably not as part of the game's animations but maybe somewhere in a cutscene

some new screenshots from http://www.playstation.com/en-us/games/bloodborne-ps4/online/

bloodborne-online-screen-02-ps4-us-06mar15

bloodborne-online-screen-05-ps4-us-06mar15

also info for co op and pvp

Online Multiplayer

Cooperative Play
Bloodborne's sense of reward and accomplishment upon overcoming difficult challenges is central to what makes it so unique, but that doesn't mean hunters have to go it alone. Up to 3 hunters are allowed to join forces online to tackle challenges that may be too great for a solo player. The player initiating the cooperative session is the “host” and players who respond to that are the “guests.”
Cooperative Play rules
The goal of cooperative play is to join forces and work together to defeat enemies, and ultimately the boss enemy in that level.
Initiating cooperative play
Host uses the Beckoning Bell item
Guests use the Small Resonant Bell item
Host and guest (up to 2 guests) are connected, and play within the Host’s game
Cooperative Play Completion
Once players successfully defeat the boss enemy in the area they are joined to, the guests receive a bonus reward and are returned to their own game.
Cooperative Play Incompletion
If the host or guest(s) die, or a guest uses the Silencing Blank item, the guest(s) are returned to their own world/game, and do not receive the bonus reward.
Password
Multiplayer matchmaking for cooperative play is automatic and random. However by setting a password for your session, other players can enter the same password and be joined to your game. Passwords can be up to 8 letters long.
*Passwords are only used for cooperative play, not Versus PvP session

Versus PvP Play

Hunters don't always have to work together. Versus PvP allows players to face off against one another in combat, using their various weapons and accrued skill to best each other by invading another player's game. In the below outline, the player that gets invaded is the “Host” and the invader is the “guest.” Also note that in certain areas within the game, there can be up to two invaders within a host’s game.
Versus Play Rules
When a host is in an area where a “bell-ringer woman” is present, Versus PvP invasions are possible.
Initiating Versus play <Random Invasion>
Guest uses the Sinister Resonant Bell item
Host begins cooperative play, or uses Sinister Resonant Bell to summon the bell-ringer woman
Guest is transported to host&#8217;s game
Host and guest play in Host&#8217;s game
Versus Play Completion
If the guest is able to defeat the host, s/he will receive a reward and be returned to his/her game/world.
Versus Play Incompletion
If the guest dies, or the host makes it to the boss fight area, or if the guest chooses to use the Silencing Blank item, the guest is returned to his/her own game without receiving a reward for completing the versus play session.

Asynchronous Gameplay Features

Notes
Using the Notebook item, you can leave hints, messages, and gestures for players to discover within their own game via the Messenger creatures that appear on the ground. You can also interact with Messengers you find to read notes left by others, and can votie them as Fine (helpful) or Foul (misleading). Just because another hunter has left advice behind, that doesn't mean they're being truthful; ambushes and pitfalls abound in Yharnam, even from other players, so beware.
Specter
Players will leave behind a tombstone when they die that appears in other players&#8217; games. If you touch one of these tombstones within your game, you can view a sort of replay of their final moments, and hopefully get a hint as to how they met their end so you can avoid the same fate.
Player Ghosts
You may see player ghosts - white phantoms of other players currently playing the game in the same area as you - which may give you hints as to how to proceed.

Updates & PS Plus Requirements
Update

As of launch day, March 24 (Tuesday) at midnight, there will be an online update to the game that provides for a better gameplay experience. The main contents of the update are as follows:

Online Play Optimizations
Game performance and usability improvements, etc.

PS Plus Requirements
Certain online elements require a PS PLUS subscription in order to enjoy:
Online Feature
PS Plus Required
Online Multiplayer
YES
Asynchronous Online Features
YES
Sharing Generated Chalice Dungeons
YES
Installing Game Update
NO
Downloading Chalice Dungeon Data
NO

GulAtiCa

I wonder if there will be any convenants like the Bell or Rat covenants. I liked both idea, esp as both were optional areas, and were fun to participate in. But what made them suck a good bit is the horrible spawn locations. Too easy could you be ganked by multiple phantoms or just ganked due to bad spawns that allowed people to stand behind you while you spawned..

ricelord

I wonder if there will be any convenants like the Bell or Rat covenants. I liked both idea, esp as both were optional areas, and were fun to participate in. But what made them suck a good bit is the horrible spawn locations. Too easy could you be ganked by multiple phantoms or just ganked due to bad spawns that allowed people to stand behind you while you spawned..

by going by the alpha, i think the guest would spawn near the spot he ringed the bell.

GulAtiCa

by going by the alpha, i think the guest would spawn near the spot he ringed the bell.

I'm talking about the specific Dark Souls 2 covenants that have people invade you/get invaded only when in certain location. They aren't co-op. Once you enter, say a bell tower, someone from the bell covenant can invade you at any time. For rat area, if you enter, at any time you could be forcefully placed in their world as an invader. I really don't think spawning an invader next to the host is a good idea. (which is what these covenant areas in DkS2 suffer from most)

ricelord

I'm talking about the specific Dark Souls 2 covenants that have people invade you/get invaded only when in certain location. They aren't co-op. Once you enter, say a bell tower, someone from the bell covenant can invade you at any time. For rat area, if you enter, at any time you could be forcefully placed in their world as an invader. I really don't think spawning an invader next to the host is a good idea. (which is what these covenant areas in DkS2 suffer from most)

hmm, no idea to tell you the truth,but if there are covenant like the rat/bell from DS2 than it might be the same.

Vamp

I'm buying this, I just hope performance wise is fine cause I don't have my PS4 connected to internet to download this day 1 patch.

Jobbs

Banned
I did something highly unusual for me, but it's freaking Bloodborne. I wanted to play this right at minute one, so I preordered digitally.

But I also want the physical CE, so, er.. yeah. Buying it twice.

GulAtiCa

I did something highly unusual for me, but it's freaking Bloodborne. I wanted to play this right at minute one, so I preordered digitally.

haha, part of me is considering that too. I got the CE, as really wanted it/etc. But tempted to go digital so I don't have to worry about switching discs.

I'm really conflicted on this. I want it digitally for no disc switching, but I want the steel book and digital soundtrack too. I would buy digitally if there was some other way to get the soundtrack though.

Moongazer

So confirmed you can't see ghosts or notes without PS+?
I imagine the player ghosts and messages fall under the Asynchronous Online Features category that was mentioned a few posts above in which case PS+ will be required for those. The game will probably just boot into offline mode without it.

Wabba

For those who played the Alpha, what is the easiest weapon to start with. I have never played a souls game before.

Do we know if there will be a great number of different weapons in the game? So far we havn't seen much apart from what, 5 weapons? Axe/2HandedAxe, Rapier/Gun, Sword/Hammer, Cane/Whip and that sort of Saw/2HandedSaw.

A great variety comes a long way for replayability.

Also, when creating a password protected game, can we still be invaded? I'm hoping we can.

Do we know if there will be a great number of different weapons in the game? So far we havn't seen much apart from what, 5 weapons? Axe/2HandedAxe, Rapier/Gun, Sword/Hammer, Cane/Whip and that sort of Saw/2HandedSaw.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was fist weapons for the ultimate melee build.

tcrunch

They're not going to show you all the weapons in promo material but:

Demonstrated trick weapons

Kirkhammer/Longsword
Cleaver/Sawblade
Whip/Cane
Single/Double Curvedswords
Rapier/Gunblade (Reiterpallasch)
Axe/Spin2Win
vv(Scythe/Sword)

Only in concept art

Greatsword

Demonstrated guns

Blunderbuss
Pistol
Rifle
Flamethrower

Known NPC gun

Minigun

Other known assets

Shields (supposedly flimsy/bad in some way)

sword/scythe too

tumblr_na7fb9UXVG1rn9ge0o8_500.gif

and speaking of guns, they show a gatling, a flamethrower and a long rifle

but i'm sure there is more to discover :p

edit. beaten like a beast

Coming from Dsk2 where the variety in weapons and shields is very big, I'm just hoping that Bloodborne won't only have about 15 melee weapons due to their transformation capabilities. I don't really want to see the same build type over and over again when either being invaded or playing co-op.

Dinda

Asynchronous Gameplay Features

Notes
Using the Notebook item, you can leave hints, messages, and gestures for players to discover within their own game via the Messenger creatures that appear on the ground. You can also interact with Messengers you find to read notes left by others, and can votie them as Fine (helpful) or Foul (misleading). Just because another hunter has left advice behind, that doesn't mean they're being truthful; ambushes and pitfalls abound in Yharnam, even from other players, so beware.
Specter
Players will leave behind a tombstone when they die that appears in other players’ games. If you touch one of these tombstones within your game, you can view a sort of replay of their final moments, and hopefully get a hint as to how they met their end so you can avoid the same fate.
Player Ghosts
You may see player ghosts - white phantoms of other players currently playing the game in the same area as you - which may give you hints as to how to proceed.

PS Plus Requirements
Certain online elements require a PS PLUS subscription in order to enjoy:
Online Feature
PS Plus Required
Online Multiplayer
YES
Asynchronous Online Features
YES
Sharing Generated Chalice Dungeons
YES
Installing Game Update
NO
Downloading Chalice Dungeon Data
NO

What? All of the Asynchronous Gameplay Features are only for PS+, so even messages and other Player Ghosts? Are they serious?

I mean i have PS+, so it doesn't affect me, but these are things that really shouldn't be PS+ only.

Coming from Dsk2 where the variety in weapons and shields is very big, I'm just hoping that Bloodborne won't only have about 15 melee weapons due to their transformation capabilities. I don't really want to see the same build type over and over again when either being invaded or playing co-op.

Does anyone recall how many weapons they showed for the Souls games in promo material? I don't remember there being many.

Does anyone recall how many weapons they showed for the Souls games in promo material? I don't remember there being many.

I don't believe there were many either.

One thing to remember is that even if there are only a few basic "types" of weapons, that doesn't mean there aren't a good number of variations of that type. For example, DeS had a limited number of types such as:

Greatsword
Straight Sword
Rapier
Katana
Curved Sword
Club
Great Club
Spears
Poles

There was a large amount of diversity contained in those weapon categories, plus the different upgrade paths you could take them on.

As long as there are a number of interesting options within each type of weapon, I'll be satisfied. I can't see there being only one type of Kirkhammer, for example.

aly

What? All of the Asynchronous Gameplay Features are only for PS+, so even messages and other Player Ghosts? Are they serious?

I mean i have PS+, so it doesn't affect me, but these are things that really shouldn't be PS+ only.

Why wouldn't they be? I mean those are multiplayer features. Someone said it worked the same way for people who played Souls on Xbox 360, so I don't see why this would be any different.

Top Bottom