• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne Reviews Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BumRush

I assume you're referring to the Wiki?

That's community-driven, and they also have several freelancers add content to their guides.

The real question you should be asking is why IGN got their review copy late, yet they were the ones providing full exclusive coverage for the game before its release.

No, they have IGN video walkthrough of every stage in the game up on their site

Mikey Jr.

Totally agree. Dude was probably terrified to go any other direction than the one he was already familiar with. Souls games are meant to be explored and discovered. I mean...isn't the lack of exploration in games a pretty big gripe these days? I'll never understand. Lol

From what I've played of dark souls, this game has less of a reliance on bonfires, and more on shortcuts.

If it is taking you 20 min to reach the boss again and you are running through the whole level, you have fucked up.

God, opening doors or pulling switches is probably one of the most satisfying things in this game.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Good to see a great game get great reviews. I'm still surprised how well its being received. Congrats to From :D:D:D

Totally agree. Dude was probably terrified to go any other direction than the one he was already familiar with. Souls games are meant to be explored and discovered. I mean...isn't the lack of exploration in games a pretty big gripe these days? I'll never understand. Lol
Its true but really these games (especially initially) kinda terrify you into proceeding further. The shit is stressful lol. Especially if youve traveled a long way, made some good progress and are faaaaar away from a lamp. Even if you know you should you're still hesitant because... "YOU DIED".

TraBuch

Banned
From what I've played of dark souls, this game has less of a reliance on bonfires, and more on shortcuts.

If it is taking you 20 min to reach the boss again and you are running through the whole level, you have fucked up.

God, opening doors or pulling switches is probably one of the most satisfying things in this game.

I think I actually feel more satisfaction discovering shortcuts than beating most of the bosses.

PBY

Banned
The fact that he spent that many hours for a single boss seems to be a point of fascination for many.

I'm kinda in awe myself at his performance lol

Ha I kinda get it. I spent around 5 hours puttering around in the first area before finding the boss, and i just kept dying to those random villagers.

If you're not finding shortcuts, you're fucked

Your correct in it been awful. My 11 year old can complete Knack. Its not that hard of a game. There is no way he could complete Bloodborne.

Not on Very Hard with normal Knack.

Knack is a highly frustrating game but that's not why it was panned in reviews at least imo.

I think I actually feel more satisfaction discovering shortcuts than beating most of the bosses.

Definitely! It's an amazing feeling when you've taken your time going through a section extra carefully, avoiding death, and you finally arrive to a familiar place.

He took TWELVE HOURS TO BEAT THE CLERIC BEAST?

Are you fucking kidding me?

I upgraded everything found everything even did some grinding as I'm pretty experienced with souls games but 12 fucking hours what the hell was he fucking doing?
So he's bashing the game because he's shit at it?.. and he gets paid to do this?

I upgraded everything found everything even did some grinding as I'm pretty experienced with souls games but 12 fucking hours what the hell was he fucking doing?

Lol, I suck at these games and I beat the cleric beast on my first try and only used one healing thingy. He's a really easy boss, he doesn't even really rush at you.

This was after rage quitting after dying a bunch to shitty low-level enemies, so I'm definitely not understating my skill level.

Zia

I just rolled around Cleric Beast's feet and mashed attack. He hit me like twice and the HP was easy to beat back out of him.

Soz m8, we can't all be video game Gods like you...

Yes, I'm talking that I am a "video game god," or whatever that means, I woke up early

and saw that topic just came to say this, I'm a "video game god" people look at me.

Grow.

The last game I played the souls series was there in 2010 and was Demons souls, I'm

not a veteran in the series and said I was not good and still catch the control bloodborne

even being practically a novice, I was not stuck 12 hours in the first boss, crying on the internet.

Nibiru

Banned
This game is fucking awesome! I can't wait until they fix the load times but i'm dealing with it:) I just enjoy souls games so much. I don't find them as brutally hard as some do but it's only because I am so familiar with them.

People who have a hard time just need to be patient and and treat them almost like a stealth game.

eznark

Banned
One guy, who isn't even reviewing the game, didn't like it and explained why. I think Dan does a pretty good job explaining why the game isn't for him. I don't see the problem with the article.

I've faced a lot of the same issues he has with the game since it's my first real foray into the series as well. I enjoy the combat enough that it doesn't bother me (except the load times....Too Human!) but none of his criticism is invalid. The stuff you guys are shitting on him for not knowing aren't knowable until you experience them. Not a lot of tutorials here (which I am glad of).

Percy

Banned
What is it with the people who don't like the game either being persistently aggressive with their dislike of it or acting like martyrs to their own opinion?

Schryver

I wonder this as well. My friend who only played 10 minutes of Dark Souls back in the day was playing at least an hour using only the pistol because he missed the part where you got an actual weapon for free from the Hunters Dream. If I wouldn't have asked what weapon he chose then he might still be trying to clear the first area with only a gun and his bare hands lol. This guy is way more of a serious gamer than most too o_O

Nibiru

Banned
The stuff you guys are shitting on him for not knowing aren't knowable until you experience them. Not a lot of tutorials here (which I am glad of).

Nah shortcut info in the first area has been known for quite awhile and it is obvious that Stapleton did not have it. If you don't get the shortcut the first boss can be a nightmare especially if you don't have a lot of experience with souls games. However, several of my friends had like 20 vials by the time they reached the first boss. That is so much healing!

eznark

Banned
Nah shortcut info in the first area has been known for quite awhile and it is obvious that Stapleton did not have it. If you don't get the shortcut the first boss can be a nightmare especially if you don't have a lot of experience with souls games. However, several of my friends had like 20 vials by the time they reached the first boss. That is so much healing!

Not sure what this means. The game tells you where the shortcut is?

Elandyll

Banned
Something weird going on with IGN's Bloodborne review.

I could swear yesterday they had a 3/25 update, where the reviewer was saying his review would probably go up on Friday after being (or so he thought) near the end at around 60hrs playtime.

Now we are back to the 3/24 update, and no trace of the other updates.

currently editing the updates maybe? :)

FaintDeftone

Holy crap, 12 hours to beat the Cleric Beast? I think I pulled that off in less than two hours (given, I'm a Souls vet) and he only killed me once. All you have to do his stand under his legs and hit him in the ass, rinse and repeat. It isn't that difficult. If he uses the shortcut he bypasses all of the prior encounters.

I guess it's good that he quit now because this was nothing compared to what lies ahead in Bloodborne.

Hypron

You can see the locked door so yeah you can see where the shortcut is, you just need to find your way to the other side of the door to open it. It's very simple to find.

Nibiru

Banned

You look that shit up if you are getting this rekt on the first boss!. Try playing Dota2 without looking up tips and strategies to success.

Once Dan saw the shortcut he would understand the concept and would look for them in the future without having to google it. It's not a spoiler for him it's more of a tip on what to look for. Then next time he gets to a boss and didn't get a shortcut he knows to look for it.

That said it is very close to the boss but he seemed to just keep going for the boss. You have to explore man! Just explore!

I agree, opening a door and making the level more accessible is super satisfying.

EDIT: Not sure why some new players don't like looking up stuff online, especially when they are having a hard time, it's how I got through Demon's Souls.

Art1mus

Neo Member
One guy, who isn't even reviewing the game, didn't like it and explained why. I think Dan does a pretty good job explaining why the game isn't for him. I don't see the problem with the article.

I've faced a lot of the same issues he has with the game since it's my first real foray into the series as well. I enjoy the combat enough that it doesn't bother me (except the load times....Too Human!) but none of his criticism is invalid. The stuff you guys are shitting on him for not knowing aren't knowable until you experience them. Not a lot of tutorials here (which I am glad of).

I am pretty sure his opinion is valid seen from his point of view and of course he has a right to it. I guess what ticks people off his how he gets a platform to shit on an amazing game just because he is shit at it. If it was a random guy tweeting or rage commenting, I am sure no one would have a problem.

dogflaps

Banned
Yes, I'm talking that I am a "video game god," or whatever that means, I woke up early

and saw that topic just came to say this, I'm a "video game god" people look at me.

Grow.

The last game I played the souls series was there in 2010 and was Demons souls, I'm

not a veteran in the series and said I was not good and still catch the control bloodborne

even being practically a novice, I was not stuck 12 hours in the first boss, crying on the internet.

I don't know why you seem so upset that people are finding the game difficult. Sure, if the guy at IGN slated the game because he found it too hard but didn't take the time to learn the mechanics etc then yes, he's being unreasonable.

But you seem to be getting offended and angered by just your average joe finding the sereis difficult, even if they're still really enjoying it. I completed Demon's Souls and it was the hardest gaming experience of my life. It took me months and months and months, but I loved every second of it. Chill, mate. Everyone plays and enjoys games differently.

Game4life

Banned
so what? It's not like his opinion is crazy or too out there. Lots of people experience these games in this way.

Piece is fine, no need to get worked up over one dude. Gerstmann hates these games too- and what?

You are getting extremely defensive whenever anyone criticizes Dan's opinion. You are the one getting worked up over one dude. Others are simply expressing an opinion. Relax.

dugdug

Banned
Gerstmann hates these games too- and what?

Except Jeff isn't going on both a twitter and blog tirade to just say "THAT POPULAR THING YOU GUYS LIKE ACTUALLY SUCKS"

At what point does it go from disagreeing with general opinion to purposefully trying to rain on a parade?

I don't know why you seem so upset that people are finding the game difficult. Sure, if the guy at IGN slated the game because he found it too hard but didn't take the time to learn the mechanics etc then yes, he's being unreasonable.

But you seem to be getting offended and angered by just your average joe finding the sereis difficult, even if they're still really enjoying it. I completed Demon's Souls and it was the hardest gaming experience of my life. It took me months and months and months, but I loved every second of it. Chill, mate. Everyone plays and enjoys games differently.

Dude, I'm not upset, I just have no patience with childishness, that was the way you answered me, and about this guy from IGN, I'm sorry but he must have some delay in the head or some problem at hand to suffer so much in a game is not that hard. So it is not just come and write so much bullshit like that about a game that he did not know how to play.

It's like I write about chess without Knowing the rules

And he's paid for it, to play and write about video games.

Except Jeff isn't going on both a twitter and blog tirade to just say "THAT POPULAR THING YOU GUYS LIKE ACTUALLY SUCKS"

At what point does it go from disagreeing with general opinion to purposefully trying to rain on a parade?

Well he says this in his write-up...

Keep in mind that if you already know how to play a Souls-style game, my experience as a new player probably won’t relate to you – and I have no intention of convincing you that you don’t actually like it as much as you think you do. You definitely like it exactly as much as you think you do.

I think some of you are being a bit over-sensitive.

eznark

Banned
Dude, I'm not upset, I just have no patience with childishness, that was the way you answered me, and about this guy from IGN, I'm sorry but he must have some delay in the head or some problem at hand to suffer so much in a game is not that hard. So it is not just come and write so much bullshit like that about a game that he did not know how to play.

It's like I write about chess without Knowing the rules

And he's paid for it, to play and write about video games.

cBj1LTf.png

That closing paragraph in the EG review is spot on:

The fact is that few other studios in the world can match what From Software is doing in big-budget games. Director Hidetaka Miyazaki is possessed of a rare talent, an all-encompassing design sensibility capable of tying everything that matters - aesthetics, narrative, sound and mechanical design - together in a manner where each feeds into and enhances the others. The structure underlying Bloodborne is not just original but coherent, and because of this the impact of everything it does is commensurately greater. This is total design. It feels wonderful to have a world like this and, over a week of solid play later, feel that there's so much more to discover. And it's awful to know that, in all likelihood, it will be a painfully long time until I play anything else that matches up to Bloodborne's breadth of vision, generosity of content, and - yes - genius.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom