• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne Story and Lore Discussion Thread [Unmarked Spoilers]

MattyG

Banned
Did anyone else find the lecture hall scene very strange? It felt out of place, probably intentionally so.

I am buying into the theory that the guy was a physicist who went crazy over losing his wife and kid. The whole game is him coping with it through nightmares and such.

Lots of crazy pregnancies in this story, umbilical cords, unborn ones. I almost want to say his wife had a miscarriage and died from it.

In the "bad" ending, Gerhman kills you but you "awaken" in the real world with the Doll saying something like "may you find peace in the waking world".

COME AT ME GAF!
Isn't it "your worth", not peace?

Either way, I didn't think anything of this line until she said it in the bad ending. There has to be some significance to her saying it there, I just can't figure out what. Is it implying that everything was a dream? This is all a part of someone's subconscious?

Marcel

The goal of the Cainhurst Queen, the Great Ones, and the Church seems to be the ability to procure, manufacture, or simply have an infant Great One (or in the case of the Vileblood, an equally powerful Child of Blood)

Queen Yharnum is an undead/beast pregnant with some manner of child. Was she an early attempt at doing it?

Neiteio

Wait, when does the game say that killing Rom breaks a contract?
There are notes throughout the game that say "the Spider of Byrgenwerth conceals rituals," or something to that effect. This, along with the fact that you're able to see the Great Ones and their moon once you kill Rom, make it clear that Rom was essentially pulling the wool over the eyes of men. He created the veil that kept people from seeing this alternate plane of reality.

Dahbomb

Lecture hall probably relates to the person's own subconsciousness. It's no surprise that the Lecture halls are gateways to the two Nightmare zones in the game.

Maybe the main character was a teacher himself by profession.

There are notes throughout the game that say "the Spider of Byrgenwerth conceals rituals," or something to that effect. This, along with the fact that you're able to see the Great Ones and their moon once you kill Rom, make it clear that Rom was essentially pulling the wool over the eyes of men. He created the veil that kept people from seeing this alternate plane of reality.
Right, but the OP says the game says killing Rom broke the player's Hunter contract. That is news to me.

Lecture hall probably relates to the person's own subconsciousness. It's no surprise that the Lecture halls are gateways to the two Nightmare zones in the game.

The enemies there are highly reminiscent of college students.

fedexpeon

Banned
Yharnam is the final boss of the Chalice dungeon.

It looks like she is the start of all of this paleblood stuff. I don't know if the Chalice dungeon is transferring you to the past or not, or the Hunter's dream is a gateway to the past/present and using the ritual allows you to travel to the past.

Anyway, she has a baby inside of her...the baby is crying like the baby above the Nightmare castle.
She creates bunch of blood and standing next to a fountain of chalices and blood flow.
Maybe those beasts you killed got these chalices from her, and that why they dropped them.

And you meet her outside the dungeon one time as well. She is standing outside the Wet Nurse room, listening to the baby crying like it is her baby.
But she is a ghost outside of this world...so is the person inside the chalice the past?

And when you killed the baby/Wet Nurse event, the player receive a special message: Nightmare Ends. And you can return to the Hunter's dream, but the workshop is burning down.
This baby is the root of evil imo.

Duxxy3

Even in the ending where you wake up the "dream" remains -- you still see the doll kneeling at your tombstone. I think It was gratly inspired by H. P. Lovecraft's Dream Cycle -- "The Dreamlands," a vast, alternate dimension that can be entered via dreams.

The game seems to be heavily influenced by that. Even the description of zones in the world, at least partially, match up with the dream world of yharnam.

aly

The goal of the Cainhurst Queen, the Great Ones, and the Church seems to be the ability to procure, manufacture, or simply have an infant Great One (or in the case of the Vileblood, an equally powerful Child of Blood)

Queen Yharnum is an undead/beast pregnant with some manner of child. Was she a first attempt at doing it?

That would make sense. Perhaps it did'nt work out or it turned her into the unholy thing she is now and that's why she is always crying. That especially struck me that she was there before the Wet Nurse fight, with blood on her stomach area and the crying baby. I could see her being the first where it did'nt work, but did give her blood special properties, making it that Yharnam blood people want so bad.

Marcel

It's been established that your character is a foreigner with mysterious origins and that Yharnum was a place of learning. Again, consider the item description:

Today, the two-story Lecture Building is adrift in the nightmare, but once it was a place of reflection, where scholars learned of history and archaeology.

Perhaps it still is, as the students in the lecture theatre appear to await the return of their professor.

I'm pretty sure the professor is Mensis, a Faustian person often talked about in item descriptions.

Astral

The story took a crazy turn alright. Here's what I understand:

The people of Yharnam found the remains or something of a Great One and used its special blood for medicinal purposes. The people of Yharnam all started being injected with the blood and using it regularly. I believe a Paleblood is someone who doesn't have any Great One blood in them. At the beginning of the game, you're a Paleblood until Gehrman injects you with it. Anyway, the Healing Church was formed and its higher members, The Choir, wanted to make contact with the Great Ones up in the Cosmos (space). I'm not sure what they did, but eventually the Great Ones responded and descended onto Yharnam.

Meanwhile, it turns out that the blood had a nasty side effect that turned people into beasts. So many people were transforming that the Healing Church had Hunters hunt the beasts down. The Cleric Beast and Vicar Amelia are members of the Church who became beasts. The mobs you fight in the game are all crazy and so far gone that they think you're a beast.

Byrgenwerth seems to a place where the Great Ones were studied. Some guy named Laurence decided to do things his own way and left, much to Willem's disapproval (the old guy in the chair before you fight Rom). I read a theory that Laurence went on to form that cult in Yahargul. That's pure speculation but it's possible I guess. For whatever reason, Rom keeps the existence of the Great Ones in Yharnam hidden. That's why once you kill him everything goes to shit and you begin to see all of the Amygdalas everywhere. Red moon Yharnam is basically its true appearance. If you have high enough insight though, you aren't fooled by Rom's tricks and can clearly see the Amygdalas. Ebrieta is another Great One that descended. Not sure what she does.

The Great Ones seem to want to reproduce or something. They demand a surrogate mother to have their child. Arianna and Iosefka seemed to have somehow been impregnated. Consuming a whole umbilical cord prevents the Moon Presence from doing...something. This pisses it off and it tries to kill you. After defeating it, it says "Nightmare slain." I think this implies that Moon Presence was the source of the nightmare. At the end, you become an infant Great One. Why you would even wanna do that I have no fucking idea.

I obviously could be wrong but that's what I got form the story. There are still a few things I don't understand at all, like the nightmare itself. What exactly is it? Is it an endless night? Does the hunt go on forever and you wanna put an end to it? Since the Moon Presence is the source of the nightmare, does it mean the Great Ones absolutely need this night to do what they wanna do? I also don't understand what the heck the Celestial Emissary is. It seems to be man-made since Iosefka turns some people into smaller versions of it. Maybe the Church created it to communicate with the Great Ones? This is definitely the strangest Souls story yet. Fucking aliens man.

Dahbomb

It looks like she is the start of all of this paleblood stuff. I don't know if the Chalice dungeon is transferring you to the past or not, or the Hunter's dream is a gateway to the past/present and using the ritual allows you to travel to the past.

Anyway, she has a baby inside of her...the baby is crying like the baby above the Nightmare castle.
She creates bunch of blood and standing next to a fountain of chalices and blood flow.
Maybe those beasts you killed got these chalices from her, and that why they dropped them.

And you meet her outside the dungeon one time as well. She is standing outside the Wet Nurse room, listening to the baby crying like it is her baby.
But she is a ghost outside of this world...so is the person inside the chalice the past?

And when you killed the baby/Wet Nurse event, the player receive a special message: Nightmare Ends. And you can return to the Hunter's dream, but the workshop is burning down.
Queen Yarnham is actually the main character's wife in real life! The loss of child is the nightmare that fuels the events in Bloodborne and "killing" the child in his nightmare allows him to slay the nightmare and return to the real world (or continue on the nightmare if you make the choice to do so).

Bo2BG.gif

Oh, that was Yharnam? I killed her. Is that bad? Haha. I learned from the rest of the game that leaving NPCs alone is bad. I killed everyone in the Ward, too.

Ken

Right, but the OP says the game says killing Rom broke the player's Hunter contract. That is news to me.

Hm, maybe the church didn't want the red moon revealed? And I think hunters are allied with the church so revealing the red moon is going against the church? I forgot where I read it but apparently the old dude hid Rom in the lake on purpose from someone else.

GorillaJu

Sorry, that was a mistake. I misremembered it - it says the "ritual secret" is broken.

ricelord

Queen Yharnum is an undead/beast pregnant with some manner of child. Was she an early attempt at doing it?

i think that Queen Yharnum gave birth to the moon presence, a true great one and the church is trying recreate the same thing by infecting the people with the blood aka fake paleblood but bad things happen and are the people are turning into beasts instead.

Marcel

Strangely enough, your player character has the ability to become an infant Great One by eating the Umbilical Cords and slaying the Moon Presence, the Great One implied to have helped create the Hunter's Dream.

MattyG

Banned
Initially, I thought Yharnam and everything else was a nightmare, and the Hunter's Dream was... well, a dream. But when I found the old workshop, I thought that kind of made it unlikely that Yharnam was just a nightmare. If that's the source of the Hunter's Dream, it had to be a real place, right?

Do we have 4 different planes, for lack of a better term, in Bloodborne? Dream (hunter's dream), nightmare (nightmare frontier, Mensis), real world (Yharnam and the surrounding areas), and a sort of in between area (lecture hall, moonside lake)

Ken

Strangely enough, your player character has the ability to become an infant Great One by eating the Umbilical Cords and slaying the Moon Presence, the Great One implied to have created the Hunter's Dream.

So...your character brings the Great Ones out of the dream world and into the real world?

Overall I think this is the best implementation of From's all-story, but it's also probably the last one I can put up with. I am done with cycles, curses, and main characters who can take up the mantle of the big bad (in this game's case, you can pick between two mantles to take on!).

The lecture hall is mentioned in lore items, fairly sure. It's part of the Byrgenwerth school and it's where the revelation that "we need more eyes to truly see" was born.

I always assumed the little blue guys were younger mingflayers. Like the life cycle goes:
Creepy babies.
Little Mindflayers (bubble head dudes)
Mindflayers
Amygdalas

Hm, maybe the church didn't want the red moon revealed? And I think hunters are allied with the church so revealing the red moon is going against the church? I forgot where I read it but apparently the old dude hid Rom in the lake on purpose from someone else.

Sorry, that was a mistake. I misremembered it - it says the "ritual secret" is broken.
Ah.

zennyzz

They aren't actually. The game implies Hunters have existed well before and separate from the Healing Church and its going ons.

There are Church Hunters, but not all Hunters are of the church. Which leads me to believe that the plague of beasts isn't a Yharnam specific thing.

fedexpeon

Banned
Oh, that was Yharnam? I killed her. Is that bad? Haha. I learned from the rest of the game that leaving NPCs alone is bad. I killed everyone in the Ward, too.

She isn't a NPC that you can interact.
She just looks onward toward the baby...Fricken eerie since it looks she is yearning for that baby.
And since that baby fucked me over in the Chalice and hearing that baby crying getting louder, I killed her and the baby without a second thought.

Marcel

So...your character brings the Great Ones out of the dream world and into the real world?

It's sort of unclear. You become a Infant Great One within the Hunter's Dream so perhaps you are simply continuing the cycle of sustaining the awful horrors by becoming the one with power, as opposed to simply being a steward of the dream (Gehrman).

She isn't a NPC that you can interact.
She just looks onward toward the baby...Fricken eerie since it looks she is yearning for that baby.
And since that baby fucked me over in the Chalice and hearing that baby crying getting louder, I killed her and the baby without a second thought.
Haha. I am not there yet in the Chalice Dungeons. Just got to the third set of stages. I didn't know they were part of the story. What are the Pthumerians then?

Dahbomb

That baby is heard crying as early as in Central Yarnham. I just thought that since it was a city it would be normal to hear crying babies on the streets but it's in fact just the main child crying.

Marcel

Haha. I am not there yet in the Chalice Dungeons. Just got to the third set of stages. I didn't know they were part of the story. What are the Pthumerians then?

The Pthumerians are presumably ancient people and civilization that predates Yharnum, considering the age of the labyrinths found underneath the church.

Neiteio

An optimistic interpretation of the true ending: Yes, you become a Great One, but you're a human at heart, so you won't be a dick to humanity.

Ken

They aren't actually. The game implies Hunters have existed well before and separate from the Healing Church and its going ons.

There are Church Hunters, but not all Hunters are of the church. Which leads me to believe that the plague of beasts isn't a Yharnam specific thing.

Where does it say they're separate?

Dahbomb

Just the spiders or does the sky change too? I'll have to beat Father G in the morning and test that out. Currently sitting at 57 insight and I don't see any changes.
Sky changing is only story related.

It changes twice in the game. When you kill Amilia it goes from sunset to night time. Then killing Rom changes it from night time (white moon) to paleblood moon (red moon).

fedexpeon

Banned

Probably the race before the people that currently living here.
I really think the Chalice is a gateway to the past.
You got name like Phtumerian Descendant and Phtumerian Queen.

I will say I'll be pretty bummed if the game's biggest secret ends up being getting a kind of okay rune from the brain in the nightmare by doing the Make Contact gesture.

MattyG

Banned
The Pthumerians are presumably ancient people and civilization that predates Yharnum, considering the age of the labyrinths found underneath the church.
Doesn't the item description of the Pthumerian chalice mention what they were? I'm not at my console so I can't check, but I was under the impression they were similar to Great Ones, and they built the labyrinths. That may be completely off base though, I'm not sure.

I will say I'll be pretty bummed if the game's biggest secret ends up being getting a kind of okay rune from the brain in the nightmare by doing the Make Contact gesture.
Shiiiieeet, wish I'd known about that. Oh well, that's what NG+ is for I guess.

Soulflarz

Banned

Hey, free souls!

Im finally on the chalice version of
paarl
, and holy hell, this is just like when i fought him underleveled...but even worse....?

Edit: I MIXED MY THREADS UP ;_;

zennyzz

Where does it say they're separate?

Some item descriptions and I believe some NPC dialogue. The way i saw it was Yharnam as just caught in between a rock and a hard place. The plague of Beasts being a natural occurrence of the world as a whole and then the lovecraftian bullshit added on top just made the city absolutely crumble.

JimPanzer

there's still the beast transformation which noone has yet been able to do. I'm hoping there's some cool stuff when you approach some bosses/NPC's in beast form.

Marcel

The secret is a special boss where you fight the three different versions of Patches at the same time (hopefully).

aly

there's still the beast transformation which noone has yet been able to do

I thought that just increased attacking stats, resistance,and decreased defense? Also scales with the claws and beast roar. I don't think it's an actual transformation.

The beast bar just boosts your damage by 50% if you fill it. That is it. I get mine full all the time. Even had it full on The One Reborn and Daughter of the Cosmos.

I sincerely believe more content will get patched in. Some things feel unfinished, like covenants. There is literally no reason to be a part of one and participate in it as far as we know.

Ken

Some item descriptions and I believe some NPC dialogue. The way i saw it was Yharnam as just caught in between a rock and a hard place. The plague of Beasts being a natural occurrence of the world as a whole and then the lovecraftian bullshit added on top just made the city absolutely crumble.

Oh I read the description for the badges. Apparently under the Church they have several divisions and lineages of hunters (the Choir, Holy Blades). Hunter of Hunters (Eileen) and Powder Kegs (Djura or w/e)!seems to be the non-Church hunters.

Hunter Chief Emblem establishes that the hunt is definitely Church-sanctioned.

Top Bottom