• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne Story and Lore Discussion Thread [Unmarked Spoilers]

Shengar

Have anyone realize that Vicar Amelia looks pregnant in the intro cutscene? I suspect what we fighting was not her all along but something in her womb.

Ken

Never had this happen to me. From what I gathered doing her plot line. She's a hunter set upon slaying hunters who've gone mad. I figure it's a way of handling those who've become too far gone in their hunts.

She and Djura suggest that Yharnam's long done for and they're mostly doing clean up duty.

That sounds right.

"Badge of a hunter of hunters. who hunts those who have become addled with blood.

The badge of the Hunter of Hunters is quietly passed down from generation to generation, usually to an outsider from the hinterlands.

To be entrusted with this cursed badge, one must be strong, resilient to the seduction of blood, and gracious when taking a comrade's life."

Marcel

I guess it is throwing me off that he's called The First Hunter. He has probably held that position as steward for many hunts at this point and your in the position as the player to refuse or not.

But I guess my main question is actually how he became the steward and why? Probably approached by a Great One (Moon Presence?) and ascended?

Good point and I didn't consider that the baby might never have actually been born.

Perhaps First Hunter is a rank as opposed to a title denoting that he was the first person to hunt.

Never had this happen to me. From what I gathered doing her plot line. She's a hunter set upon slaying hunters who've gone mad. I figure it's a way of handling those who've become too far gone in their hunts.

She and Djura suggest that Yharnam's long done for and they're mostly doing clean up duty.
She goes mad herself if you don't help her, and then she says the stuff I posted.

Not relying on human eyes in order to see the true nature of reality.

Or something like that.
Seeing with the eyes of the Old Ones into the true nature of reality, far removed from human imperfection and limitation.

Neiteio

Just curious, but is the spider/cthulu looking creature that was on the side of a building in the alpha an important character in the game?
It's call Amygdala. There are a number of them throughout the game, invisible at first, but you can see them as you gain a stat called Insight, or after you defeat a certain boss that was concealing their existence. Essentially, they are from a race of elder gods that exist on a parallel plane of reality overlapping with that of Yharnam. And you fight one of them as an optional boss.

Have anyone realize that Vicar Amelia looks pregnant in the intro cutscene? I suspect what we fighting was not her all along but something in her womb.
It's possible she was yet another woman impregnated by the Great Ones as a human surrogate. But at the same time, the beast can be seen praying, which would seem like a vestige of her human self. And it's still called "Vicar Amelia."

Marcel

Is the baby someone we've met or seen? Or is the baby just a big "THEY MAKE ALIENS" string just there to be poetic with baby cries.

I mean, a big theme of the game is childbirth/stillbirth/loss etc. Each faction wants to use an infant for their own sinister ends. It's a bit disgusting and off-putting honestly (as the developers probably intended).

zennyzz

She goes mad herself if you don't help her, and then she says the stuff I posted.

Seeing with the eyes of the Old Ones into the true nature of reality, far removed from human imperfection and limitation.

Well there's probably a trigger for everyone so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ken

I wonder what the story is with the Umbilical Cord in the Abandoned Work Shop. Related to the doll?

Neiteio

I've collected two of the cords and will get the third one with the Wet Nurse, so I'm heading for the true ending with the Moon Presence battle.

That being said, I don't accept the slug ending as canon. Instead, my hunter will elope with the doll to an island paradise and teach her how to dance.

aly

I read somewhere that Gascoigne's armor has really low frenzy resist. Maybe that's why he was taken by the plague and it ate away at him?

Edit: Wait tv tropes said that, but hopefully someone can eventually compare armor to see if that's true.

There are lots of them, one is a boss. Some also think there's a spider covenant, but haven't figured that out.

It's call Amygdala. There are a number of them throughout the game, invisible at first, but you can see them as you gain a stat called Insight, or after you defeat a certain boss that was concealing their existence. Essentially, they are from a race of elder gods that exist on a parallel plane of reality overlapping with that of Yharnam. And you fight one of them as an optional boss.
Awesome, thanks. The lore in Bloodborne (and other From games) has always been very interesting to me.

Zocano

I mean, a big theme of the game is childbirth/stillbirth/loss etc. Each faction wants to use an infant for their own sinister ends. It's a bit disgusting and off-putting honestly (as the developers probably intended).

I must've missed or didn't make note of the themes when they popped up outside of the obvious baby crying and Yharnam in the nightmare (and Iosefka and the Whore dropping an umbilical cord).

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I am nowhere yet close to the ending and yet I think I am gonna read all the stuff in here regardless.

Strangely, I think I can enjoy the world more now that I have more insights about what exactly is going on, instead of just going through the motions "ooo this place is creepy" "ooo that monster is hideous" etc etc etc without exactly knowing what the fuck is going on, hahaha.

Soulflarz

Banned
I read somewhere that Gascoigne's armor has really low frenzy resist. Maybe that's why he was taken by the plague and it ate away at him?

Edit: Wait tv tropes said that, but hopefully someone can eventually compare armor to see if that's true.

Hunter Armor Frenzy Resist (Helm, Body, Legs, Feet)
14, 48, 27, 30

Father G's
7, 23, 12, 14

Marcel

Oh I didn't know they had unique text for each.

They do. I guess I'll drop them here for people's perusal.

The Third Umbilical Cord precipitated the encounter with the pale moon, which beckoned the hunters and conceived the hunter's dream." -Mergo's Wet Nurse

"Every Great One loses its child, and then yearns for a surrogate, and Oedon, the formless Great One, is no different. To think, it was corrupted blood that began this eldritch liaison." - Arianna's Child

"Every Great One loses its child, and then yearns for a surrogate. This Cord granted Mensis audience with Mergo, but resulted in the stillbirth of their brains." -Abandoned Workshop

"Provost Willem sought the Cord in order to elevate his being and thoughts to those of a Great One, by lining his brain with eyes. The only choice, he knew, if man were to ever match Their greatness." -Iosefka

JimPanzer

I am nowhere yet close to the ending and yet I think I am gonna read all the stuff in here regardless.

Strangely, I think I can enjoy the world more now that I have more insights about what exactly is going on, instead of just going through the motions "ooo this place is creepy" "ooo that monster is hideous" etc etc etc without exactly knowing what the fuck is going on, hahaha.

that's part of the process. My first playthrough is always gathering all puzzles pieces, putting them together happens on the 2nd playthrough.

aly

Hunter Armor Frenzy Resist (Helm, Body, Legs, Feet)
14, 48, 27, 30

Father G's
7, 23, 12, 14

Thanks! That's pretty low actually and a theory I could hang with regarding why he might have finally went mad to the point that the music box couldn't save him anymore.

Marcel

Maybe the black Maiden become the "founder" of the church and spread her teachings and even the beast soul to the masses.

It's unclear. All we know is if the connection is genuine, Bloodborne is perhaps hundreds of years later as firearms are now the standard and magic is so limited that it's imbued into simple artifacts or trinkets, as opposed to being able to harness the power of scrolls or a human body's ether talent. Many of the spells consume Quicksilver bullets, implying hunters don't have a magical power themselves but the ammo they use does.

Soulflarz

Banned
Thanks! That's pretty low actually and a theory I could hang with regarding why he might have finally went mad to the point that the music box couldn't save him anymore.

Sure thing. I can get you most things for stats, just ask :p

It's unclear. All we know is if the connection is genuine, Bloodborne is perhaps hundreds of years later as firearms are now the standard and magic is so limited that it's imbued into simple artifacts or trinkets, as opposed to being able to harness the power of scrolls or a human body's ether talent.

Or vice versa, magic so OP who needs guns.

Zocano

It's unclear. All we know is if the connection is genuine, Bloodborne is perhaps hundreds of years later as firearms are now the standard and magic is so limited that it's imbued into simple artifacts or trinkets, as opposed to being able to harness the power of scrolls or a human body's ether talent. Many of the spells consume Quicksilver bullets, implying hunters don't have a magical power themselves but the ammo they use does.

Magic would have died along with Miracles since they only come from the presence of The Old One in Demon's Souls.

Marcel

Magic would have died along with Miracles since they only come from the presence of The Old One in Demon's Souls.

Ohhh shit. You're right. So perhaps Bloodborne is the continuation of the ending where your player character kills the Maiden in Black and takes the Old One's Demon Soul, also known as the Beast Soul?

05MPuGY.jpg

zennyzz

Actually all Garbs outside of official Hunter garb(yharnam, hunter, hunter of hunter, henryk etc) all have horrid beasthood and frenzy resistance.

Basically, all hunter garb from the healing church is pretty shit at actually dealing with the plague of beasts save for the one that emulated the hunters before the church.

GorillaJu

Ashen Hunter (powder keg badge) has the highest Frenzy resist, outside of the Graveguard Mask. Ashen Hunter + Graveguard hood was the highest Frenzy res I could find.

GorillaJu

Oh, do you remember when you talk to Alfred and ask about the Healing Church? He mentions that some higher-ups in the church are stationed in the Upper Cathedral. I mean they could just be corpses or werewolves, but he could also be referring to the Great Ones who are up there (there are two after all)

Ken

Oh, do you remember when you talk to Alfred and ask about the Healing Church? He mentions that some higher-ups in the church are stationed in the Upper Cathedral. I mean they could just be corpses or werewolves, but he could also be referring to the Great Ones who are up there (there are two after all)

There are tons of petrified monsters up there too, as well as larger monster babies. Maybe what happened to the majority of the Healing Church?

Marcel

The concept of a Celestial Emissary suggests there is at least a diplomatic dialogue between the healing church and the Great Ones. The Choir was also considered the elite ruling body of the church (maybe there were always cosmic monsters in The Choir).

zennyzz

Anybody know what item or dialogue was mentioned that suggests that the healing church doesn't even know what Hunters, that aren't of the church itself, even are?

I found it pretty curious to know that healing church knowledge was so insular that such a thing was possible.

I also found it interesting that antidote's item description suggests that poison rather than frenzy is the source of the plague of beasts.

GorillaJu

The concept of a Celestial Emissary suggests there is at least a diplomatic dialogue between the healing church and the Great Ones. The Choir was also considered the elite ruling body of the church (maybe there were always cosmic monsters in The Choir).

Hmm... that's a pretty good shout.

GorillaJu

Anybody know what item or dialogue was mentioned that suggests that the healing church doesn't even know what Hunters, that aren't of the church itself, even are?

I found it pretty curious to know that healing church knowledge was so insular that such a thing was possible.

I also found it interesting that antidote's item description suggests that poison rather than frenzy is the source of the plague of beasts.

Gherman mentions it. He says the Healing church used to be guardians of the hunters in Ludwig's day, but most ministers now don't recall what hunters are.

Marcel

Gherman mentions it. He says the Healing church used to be guardians of the hunters in Ludwig's day, but most ministers now don't recall what hunters are.

It's possible that the church became more insular and removed from what was happening over time as they were protecting the secret of their involvement with the Great Ones. Even if some did remember, I also imagine dealing with cosmic monsters on a regular basis may fry your brain a little.

zennyzz

Actually. I have a theory.

The plague of Beasts originated in Old Yharnam.

The Plague specifically is believed to be a metamorphasis of the sickness Ashen Blood.

Old Yharnam is the sole place that holds a Tomb of the Gods Chalice.

The Chalice is used in communion in a large elaborate church.

1 + 1 + 1

The Chalice was discovered by the Church in Old Yharnam. The people of Old Yharnam would use the chalice in communion, specifically in drinking blood. The chalice corrupted blood effectively causing Ashen Blood in those that drank it. Effectively it began the cycle and likely exacerbated it as no one would expect that blood, which was effectively a pancea in Yharnam, especially blood from a church, would be the source of the illness. Repeated exposure, Repeated 'healing' until Ashen Blood became the Plague of Beasts.

Zocano

Whart are the choices needed to trigger differents endings ?

First ending is accepting Gherman's proposal and letting him kill you in the dream to awaken you.

Second ending is refusing and defeating Gherman.

If you ate 3 or more Third of the Umbilical Cord *AND* you refuse Gherman, you will fight the Moon Presence after you beat Gherman and get the third ending.

ricelord

If you ask me, magic still exist, but humans are unable to use it freely because the old one is dead and gone.he was the old link between magic however if the great ones in this game are "demons" than they maybe they are the new links to magic, one of the items in the game allowed you to partially summon a boss tentacles.

First ending is accepting Gherman's proposal and letting him kill you in the dream to awaken you.

Second ending is refusing and defeating Gherman.

If you ate 3 or more Third of the Umbilical Cord *AND* you refuse Gherman, you will fight the Moon Presence after you beat Gherman and get the third ending.

Thank you !

I got one from
Isofka
. Onto the two others.

Top Bottom