• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne Story and Lore Discussion Thread [Unmarked Spoilers]

fedexpeon

Banned
I will say I'll be pretty bummed if the game's biggest secret ends up being getting a kind of okay rune from the brain in the nightmare by doing the Make Contact gesture.

Well, 70% of the game is a secret per se. People can miss on a lot of optional areas and bosses if they just continue linearly.
Getting to the Upper Cathedral, getting the tonsil and finding the exact location, finding the abandoned WS, ect.

But yeah, that mother brain contact is the biggest secret though.
Shit was mindblowing when you recieved the rune.

ENB hinted in one of his videos that there's more to the beast pellets and the meter.
Link?

It may be a removed feature. Or it may get patched in. I am fairly certain nothing exists now unless it requires a side event no one knows about.

Can someone max the damn meter already >.>
Can we add "Karst maxed it, nothing happens" to the OP? :p

I can tell you how to max it if you want to run tests.

Marcel

I invade for the Vileblood Covenant and I've received no substantial rewards or lore tidbits for giving the Queen 20 or so blood dregs as of yet, for the record.

Ken

I invade for the Vileblood Covenant and I've received no substantial rewards or lore tidbits for giving the Queen 20 or so blood dregs as of yet, for the record.

I think people have duped 99+ Dregs and not gotten anything past the gesture.

zennyzz

Oh I read the description for the badges. Apparently under the Church they have several divisions and lineages of hunters (the Choir, Holy Blades). Hunter of Hunters (Eileen) and Powder Kegs (Djura or w/e)!seems to be the non-Church hunters.

I believe there are other items as well that note of Hunters and how they're not 100% just a Yharnam thing. Also the guy by Central Yharnam lamp suggests hunters are a thing well and away from Yharnam.

I figure current yharnam of the game is a dream of sorts, but not far removed from Yharnam of reality(well save the lovecraftian stuff.)

So I figure much of the world is Van Helsing like. And we're just caught up in a very Lovecraftian edition of that world.

JimPanzer

Link?

It may be a removed feature. Or it may get patched in. I am fairly certain nothing exists now unless it requires a side event no one knows about.

Can we add "Karst maxed it, nothing happens" to the OP? :p

I can tell you how to max it if you want to run tests.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLto4IoxsGU at 31:50 -32:50

also in this video he shows your hand transforming to a beast claw when doing a visceral attack
he also talks about the gascoigne line "afraid to show your true self" in combination with the beast blood pellets and your transforminh hand...

has someone tried doing a visceral attack with full beast meter?

aly

Well, 70% of the game is a secret per se. People can miss on a lot of optional areas and bosses if they just continue linearly.
Getting to the Upper Cathedral, getting the tonsil and finding the exact location, finding the abandoned WS, ect.

But yeah, that mother brain contact is the biggest secret though.
Shit was mindblowing when you recieved the rune.

It is really surprising how much, including bosses, is optional in this game. It is the easiest to speedrun and can be the shortest game if you just want to quickly get through it with only like 7 required bosses.

I believe there are other items as well that note of Hunters and how they're not 100% just a Yharnam thing. Also the guy by Central Yharnam lamp suggests hunters are a thing well and away from Yharnam.

I figure current yharnam of the game is a dream of sorts, but not far removed from Yharnam of reality(well save the lovecraftian stuff.)

So I figure much of the world is Van Helsing like. And we're just caught up in a very Lovecraftian edition of that world.
I went in the other direction. When you go to the Unseen Village, you get new werewolves. Are these different werewolves, or are these what werewolves truly look like when you see the truth? My hypothesis is that the Old Ones dress up their monstrosities in familiar folklore, or it is the nature of their monstrosities that people hallucinate them in their social context.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLto4IoxsGU at 31:50 -32:50

also in this video he shows your hand transforming to a beast claw when doing a visceral attack
he also talks about the gascoigne line "afraid to show your true self" in combination with the beast blood pellets and your transforminh hand...
Hmm. That is puzzling, but I still don't see how we would trigger a full transformation. Maybe visceral attack at full bar? I never did that.

Does anyone want my setup for easy max bar to test stuff?

yea, I just edited that in ;) what's your setup?
Easy max bar:
Put a fire gem in Beast Claws.
Go to the giants outside of Cathedral Ward.
Spam L2.

You will get a full bar before they die. They resist fire, so each attack does like 30 damage, and they have HP in the thousands. L2 fills the bar really fast. If you want to try a visceral attack from there, there are plenty of priests around.

JimPanzer

Easy max bar:
Put a fire gem in Beast Claws.
Go to the giants outside of Cathedral Ward.
Spam L2.

You will get a full bar before they die. They resist fire, so easy attach does like 30 damage, and they have HP in the thousands. L2 fills the bar really fast. If you want to try a visceral attack from there, there are plenty of priests around.

Ok, will try this later! Already have the beat claw, but have to play up to cathedral ward, because im on NG+, been doing too much chalice dungeons.

WORLDTree

Idk, is it even a From game without a Moonlight weapon?

Ludwig's Holy Blade. Only Greatsword in game. Ludwig = Ludwig von Beethoven who wrote MOONLIGHT Sonata. Scales with Arcane up to A. Moonlight Greatsword almost always deals magic damage of some kind.

Marcel

Idk, is it even a From game without a Moonlight weapon?

"Trick weapon wielded by Gehrman, the first hunter."

A masterpiece that defined the entire array of weapons crafted at the workshop. Its blade is forged with siderite, said to have fallen from the heavens.

Gehrman's weapon has magical properties due to the space mineral and the Moonlight stone imbues weapons with magical properties in Demon's Souls.

And yeah, what the guy above me said.

Hugstable

Banned
It's interesting going back and watching the old Project Beast leak trailer. Much of what was in there made it into the game, just things got switched around. Ebrietas is chilling in the Cathedral where you fought Amelia!

Bloodborne (Project Beast) Trailer: https://youtu.be/xx8KTIeSnzs

JimPanzer

It's interesting going back and watching the old Project Beast leak trailer. Much of what was in there made it into the game, just things got switched around. Ebrietas is chilling in the Cathedral where you fought Amelia!

When does the sword-cutscene happen? Also why did they remove the little ones from the fog doors, thought that was really cool.

Zocano

Mmmmmmm.

I have a few big questions

Is there a big bait-and-switch with the hunt and if it's an illusion perpetrated by The Great Ones?

What is Gherman's motivations? Is he just another controlled by The Moon Presence?

Who the hell is the baby? ---edit: And is this even a necessary question?

When does the sword-cutscene happen? Also why did they remove the little ones from the fog doors, thought that was really cool.
Probably frame rates. Going into The One Reborn slaughters my frame rate, like one frame every 3 seconds.

Mmmmmmm.

Is there a big bait-and-switch with the hunt and if it's an illusion perpetrated by The Great Ones?

What is Gherman's motivations? Is he just another controlled by The Moon Presence?

Who the hell is the baby?
I think we agree that the baby is Queen Yharnam's. Practically confirmed by the final chalice dungeon.

Neiteio

Speaking of Ebrietas, while I'm not that far yet, I hear you can find Rom's corpse in her lair. And that her lair also has an altar that can revive another character in the game. Perhaps Ebrietas was trying to "repair" Rom so that the Great Ones could once again conceal their activities?

zennyzz

I'm genuinely curious of the outside hunters like Djura and Eileen. We know the hunters of Yahar'gul are just kidnappers working the ways of the Great Old Ones. But the Raven Hunters and Powder kegs seem to suggest Hunting goes well beyond what's going on in Yharnam.

And Ludwig's blade suggests that the many of the healing workshop weapons are and away different from what is standard and that there are other beasts beyond Yharnam, though not nearly as bad as what is within it.

Zocano

Probably frame rates. Going into The One Reborn slaughters my frame rate, like one frame every 3 seconds.

I think we agree that the baby is Queen Yharnam's. Practically confirmed by the final chalice dungeon.

Nonono.

Who is the baby? Not whose baby is it.

Though, yes, it's pretty clear it's Yharnam's.

Also I guess it's worth asking: Who was the king of Cainhurst? Is that another question even worth asking?

Hugstable

Banned
Speaking of Ebrietas, while I'm not that far yet, I hear you can find Rom's corpse in her lair. And that her lair also has an altar that can revive another character in the game. Perhaps Ebrietas was trying to "repair" Rom so that the Great Ones could once again conceal their activities?

I did see a stone statue of Rom in her lair, I didn't notice the corpse though.

Great idea. Yes, there is a corpse that looks exactly like Rom in her lair.

Actually, I wonder if we get anything in the game that we could resurrect there...Vileblood Queen withstanding.

I'm genuinely curious of the outside hunters like Djura and Eileen. We know the hunters of Yahar'gul are just kidnappers working the ways of the Great Old Ones. But the Raven Hunters and Powder kegs seem to suggest Hunting goes well beyond what's going on in Yharnam.

And Ludwig's blade suggests that the many of the healing workshop weapons are and away different from what is standard and that there are other beasts beyond Yharnam, though not nearly as bad as what is within it.
Also, why does Eileen hunt hunters? She went hostile on me, and she said a lot of stuff about how hunters can't stop what is coming, all hunters must die, etc.

Marcel

Mmmmmmm.

There may have been a genuine hunt to cull people infected by the Plague of Beasts. The hunter is clearly a fight fire with fire strategy as hunters are injected with blood but it seems like their place and presence was perverted by the involvement of the Great Ones.

Gehrman is a steward of the dream. Perhaps he is damned to stay because he killed the hunter who was there before him? The 2nd ending implies that the hunter who kills the steward of the dream merely takes his place.

Who the hell is the baby? ---edit: And is this even a necessary question?

It's perhaps an imperfect Infant Great One or one that cannot be born for whatever reason? I don't know for sure. Queen Yharnum is still pregnant when you fight her as a boss.

JimPanzer

also what's up with the sight-motif in the game? there are a lot of statues with covered eyes and you gain insight.

Haven't played demon souls because I don't own a PS3, but the maiden in black is also blind / her eyes are covered, right?

Nonono.

Who is the baby? Not whose baby is it.

Though, yes, it's pretty clear it's Yharnam's.

Also I guess it's worth asking: Who was the king of Cainhurst? Is that another question even worth asking?
The Martyr wore the crown. I assumed it was he.

The baby is...the baby. What kind of answer are you looking for there?

I did see a stone statue of Rom in her lair, I didn't notice the corpse though.
How do you know it is stone?

Or maybe she was recreating a body for him.

Wait you could block in that original concept?
You can block using the only shield right now. ;)

also what's up with the sight-motif in the game? there are a lot of statues with covered eyes and you gain insight.

Haven't played demon souls because I don't own a PS3, but the maiden in black is also blind / her eyes are covered, right?
It is a Lovecraftian motif.

Lovecraft basically said this: humans worship gods, but our gods are always so human. They get angry, they want things, they argue, etc. Highly anthropomorphic. If gods really did exist, they would be unlike anything humans can comprehend. We would not be able to talk to them, or think like them. Their ways of thinking would be based on a fundamentally different sense of reality.

If a human tried to think like a Lovecraftian god, he/she would necessarily become insane. However, one would also have insight contained within that madness. Reality would become unstitched and untethered, yet an entirely new world would open before our eyes.

aly

Yeah her eyes are covered in wax I think. Gascoigne and the guy in the intro also had covered eyes.

Ken

You also have to line of sight frenzy at Nightmare of Mensis.

Maybe in-universe hunters that succumb to frenzy go bad? Could be what happens to Eileen and Djura?

"Liquid medicine concocted at Byrgenwerth. Calms the nerves.

Those who delve into the arcane fall all-too-easily to madness, and thick human blood serves to calm the frayed nerves of these inquisitive minds. Naturally, this often leads to a reliance on blood ministration."

zennyzz

Great idea. Yes, there is a corpse that looks exactly like Rom in her lair.

Actually, I wonder if we get anything in the game that we could resurrect there...Vileblood Queen withstanding.

Also, why does Eileen hunt hunters? She went hostile on me, and she said a lot of stuff about how hunters can't stop what is coming, all hunters must die, etc.

Never had this happen to me. From what I gathered doing her plot line. She's a hunter set upon slaying hunters who've gone mad. I figure it's a way of handling those who've become too far gone in their hunts.

She and Djura suggest that Yharnam's long done for and they're mostly doing clean up duty.

Zocano

Gehrman is a steward of the dream. Perhaps he is damned to stay because he killed the hunter who was there before him? The 2nd ending implies that the hunter who kills the steward of the dream merely takes his place.

I guess it is throwing me off that he's called The First Hunter. He has probably held that position as steward for many hunts at this point and your in the position as the player to refuse or not.

But I guess my main question is actually how he became the steward and why? Probably approached by a Great One (Moon Presence?) and ascended?

It's perhaps an imperfect Infant Great One or one that cannot be born for whatever reason? I don't know for sure. Queen Yharnum is still pregnant when you fight her as a boss.

Good point and I didn't consider that the baby might never have actually been born.

Just curious, but is the spider/cthulu looking creature that was on the side of a building in the alpha an important character in the game?

Neiteio

Not relying on human eyes in order to see the true nature of reality.

Or something like that.

Top Bottom