• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne's Frame Pacing still isn't fixed, it never will be, and that sucks

Orayn

Yeah, but wast the whole point of Studio Japan's involvement to make sure that didnt happen?

Was it ever explicitly stated that's why Sony Japan was involved? Beyond the generic "We're going to ensure they used the power of the PS4 blah blah blah" PR stuff that we always hear.

I'm guessing Sony was mostly just providing them with more raw workforce. From Software still called the shots on the creative and technical side.

Theman2k

It was a big issue for me.
I honestly didn't want to start playing it because of the frame pacing, im really sensitive to fps.

But! After starting playing it, the game is so good and so much fun that this issue doesn't bug me at all.

I just thinking on the game all day long, waiting to turn on my ps4 again and start hunting. :)

Ratrat

Was it ever explicitly stated that's why Sony Japan was involved? Beyond the generic "We're going to ensure they used the power of the PS4 blah blah blah" PR stuff that we always hear.

I'm guessing Sony was mostly just providing them with more raw workforce. From Software still called the shots on the creative and technical side.
They wanted to evoke Demons Souls and that 'legendary' collaboration in their PR.

SeanTSC

Do you have a medical condition?

You don't need a "medical condition" for something to be painful to look at. CA makes things much blurrier than they should be and can easily cause eye strain for those sensitive to it. Blurry stuff can easily cause headaches as well, especially for those sensitive to blurriness. Personally, blur causes me a bit of extra fatigue. I can play 1080p/60fps games much longer than others due to how much crisper and clearer they are.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I'm pretty sure that if you're experiencing physical pain playing Bloodborne because of the CA, you have a medical condition of some sort. Most people don't notice it at all. I only notice it when taking screenshots (and it admittedly bugs me then), pretty much never while playing normally.

Yeah, you just perfectly described normal frame drops due to taking too long to process/render frames, not any weird "frame pacing" issue.

I thought it was more of an issue with the time a frame is displayed. As in, it still would actually render all of the frames, but it will hold on to some too long or cut some short and display the next frame.

Normal: 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-
Problem: 1-2-3--45-67--8-

I could be completely wrong though, since I don't have much technical knowledge concerning video game performance.

Bloodborne did seem to give me slight irritation in my eyes for a few hours before I adjusted. I don't think it affected how I played the game input and timing wise though. It would be interesting to know if From left it in because they thought it helps with the atmosphere.

I've never noticed this issue, but I'm not really sensitive to these frame rate issues usually. But honestly, I survived Blighttown so I feel like I can probably deal with anything From throws at me.

Pandy

Completely bothers me, and I'm done with FROM until they get a new engine. Bloodborne was below acceptable for me.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Yeah, it really sucks. It's a glaring flaw for an otherwise really good game.

At least Dark Souls 3 will get back to PC and we won't have to deal with it again.

Hugstable

Banned
Yeah, it really sucks. It's a glaring flaw for an otherwise really good game.

This. Really loved Bloodborne and played up to NG+++ during that launch period, but I'd be lying if I said that the Frame Pacing didn't affect the gameplay and my enjoyment of it. Pretty much just dealt with it, but it's something that's definitely kept me from wanting to play the game more after I took a break as I was hoping they would fix it sooner or later. Oh well, still gonna get the expansion.

Me when I experience BB frame pacing and CA.

heart-attack.jpg

Orayn

Frame pacing is this years issue no one ever really heard or cared about but then someone says it and suddenly everyone is an expert.

Or you could just read the Digital Foundry articles on games with frame pacing problems, watch the videos, understand what it is, and not be a blowhard who tries to make it sound like a pretend problem.

It's not some arcane thing. A game with bad frame pacing maintains the right number of unique frames per second, but they stay onscreen for incorrect amounts of time and make the game look less smooth.

Game4life

Banned
Sucks for those who are affected but It seems while I am sensitive to frame rates I am not sensitive to frame pacing so It never bothered me. Bring on the DLC to the GOTY!

Kilrathi

Frame pacing is this years issue no one ever really heard or cared about but then someone says it and suddenly everyone is an expert.

AMD radeon hd 7xxx series had major frame pacing issues in their drivers for a while. Also doesn't help that at all that most game benchmark marks are measured in fps instead of frame time. There are few tech sites like the tech report have frame times benchmark in their testing methods.

ScribbleD

Ok, so frame pacing is clearly not what I thought it was so I decided to look further into it and saw this video graphing framerate and frame timing in real time during gameplay. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-WN2jLEVYI

What I'm gathering is that this is a fairly constant thing that happens during gameplay, and yet I've never noticed any ill-effects while playing, and even when I'm looking for it in the video I'm not seeing anything that stands out and correlates with the dips and spikes on the graph.

Is this just a placebo effect for the people noticing it, or am I just not particularly sensitive to the effect this has on gameplay? If it's the latter, can somebody actually describe in detail what the impact is on play and the smoothness of the game? I've always been pretty sensitive to actual framerate dips, and Bloodborne has its share of moments where it chugs, but I'm way less familiar with these frame pacing issues people have been talking about for the longest time.

Orayn

Ok, so frame pacing is clearly not what I thought it was so I decided to look further into it and saw this video graphing framerate and frame timing in real time during gameplay. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-WN2jLEVYI

What I'm gathering is that this is a fairly constant thing that happens during gameplay, and yet I've never noticed any ill-effects while playing, and even when I'm looking for it in the video I'm not seeing anything that stands out and correlates with the dips and spikes on the graph.

Is this just a placebo effect for the people noticing it, or am I just not particularly sensitive to the effect this has on gameplay? If it's the latter, can somebody actually describe in detail what the impact is on play and the smoothness of the game?

It definitely affects the visual smoothness. You can think of it as a very brief dip to 15 FPS that's followed by an equally short moment of the game running at 60. It doesn't make the game difficult to play in the same sense as, say, Dragon's Dogma or GTA V running in the low 20's, but it makes it look and feel wonky to some extent. I do habituate to it after a while, but I can still tell the difference between Bloodborne and a locked 30 FPS game without frame pacing problems, like Desinty.

So yeah, it's a whine. Doesn't prevent me from enjoying or playing the game, but it remains a nagging complaint.

artsi

Is this just a placebo effect for the people noticing it, or am I just not particularly sensitive to the effect this has on gameplay? If it's the latter, can somebody actually describe in detail what the impact is on play and the smoothness of the game? I've always been pretty sensitive to actual framerate dips, and Bloodborne has its share of moments where it chugs, but I'm way less familiar with these frame pacing issues people have been talking about for the longest time.

It's not just you. I don't see it, not in gameplay or this video. Looks totally smooth to me.

Akara

Banned
Think it just comes down to strengths and weaknesses of different developers. Art direction is great, but BB is definitely not a looker.

It impressed me graphically. I only noticed frame problems when I'm with like five players on screen which has rarely happened. (PVP)

RedAssedApe

Banned
Or you could just read the Digital Foundry articles on games with frame pacing problems, watch the videos, understand what it is, and not be a blowhard who tries to make it sound like a pretend problem.

It's not some arcane thing. A game with bad frame pacing maintains the right number of unique frames per second, but they stay onscreen for incorrect amounts of time and make the game look less smooth.

isn't it though if it requires a DF article to point it out for most people as an issue (who would otherwise have been blissful unaware)? i mean maybe ya'll who are bothered by this have like a shiringan or something and can just see things better ;)

DavidDesu

This and the poor handling camera in confined spaces are the only detractors for me. It just kind of gives the game that buggy feeling that, while the greatness of the game overcomes it, it does still always sit there, annoying me. It just takes me out of the experience a tad.

I've played the game in two long bursts and haven't gone back to it in a while, was really hoping for a fix for this issue but I guess it will never come.

A)Input lag of any kind is bad for these of games and just to reiterate, ---->the marketing team purposefully leaves out the CA<---That's not an accident.
B)At least Ubi have released several patches for performance in their games and have improved their engine for their latest release
C)This topic isn't about AC.

Funny enough the game's framerate at release was better than the other FS games, but the issue in this thread makes it feel and look relatively bad during general play.

You can try and explain it away but I see the irony.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I feel sorry for the people bluntly claiming "no Problem"..its an issue with the game that is affecting many and if fixed will render a smoother experience.

Its 2015 .....how incompetent are the developers that they are not listening to the community.

FYI, the same issue was in Destiny Beta on PS4 which was quickly fixed.

Seems like they should be the ones feeling sorry for you, since your experience was compromised and theirs wasn't.

Orayn

isn't it though if it requires a DF article to point it out for most people as an issue (who would otherwise have been blissful unaware)? i mean maybe ya'll who are bothered by this have like a shiringan or something and can just see things better ;)

I could have told you that Bloodborne doesn't look as smooth as other 30 FPS games without the DF article, it just helped provide some more specifics.

Admitting that not everyone is bothered by it doesn't make it a "fake" problem.

I don't get why it's here on both dark souls III and bb? I hope the pc version of ds III doesn't have ot. I find it awful. I do kind of get used too it after a while, but If I've been playing a smooth running game then switch to bb it's just downright awful for a while

Certain things just bother people a littlemore. For me. It's seeing 99% of people overscannig their tv's. You are losing 20% of the image And yet nobody on neogaf seems to care. 20 percent people, goddamn.

Also, how do I access the DLC, do I have to start a new game if I only have a game save right before final boss?

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Oh yes it is.
Oh no it's not. Irony would imply that I've never critiqued any aspect of an AC game or noted about performance issues like you seem so eager to imply(as usual someone does so whenever I specifically critique an element or a game).

I don't get why it's here on both dark souls III and bb? I hope the pc version of ds III doesn't have ot. I find it awful. I do kind of get used too it after a while, but If I've been playing a smooth running game then switch to bb it's just downright awful for a while

I don't know. Frame pacing and frame rate are two different things I think. Bloodborne doesn't have a frame rate problem like fallout 4 or AC Unity have. I don't know if brute forcing the issue is going to fix it.

There have been several comments to the effect of “this hasn't effected my play.” Not just that the problem is unnoticeable for a certain person, but that it doesn't effect their actual gameplay experience. I want to make it very clear that this isn't the case.

Bad frame pacing causes frames to be displayed for uneven amounts of time. This means that, for example, your window to react to a given enemy attack will often be shifting, albeit in small intervals that are all but unnoticeable for most people. But have you ever felt an attack hit you earlier than it should have, or later, even if only slightly? Ever thought that the game responded to your input more slowly than usual? The small discrepancies bad frame pacing causes add up. This is a serious issue in a tight action game. And of course it's a factor outside of action as well, making for a weird, choppy feeling experience even during light exploration.

I totally understand not noticing this on a conscious level, I've definitely experienced the “blurring out” effect where it eventually fades from my notice as I play, but that doesn't mean it isn't there. It does effect your gameplay experience, even if you don't know it.
You guys should contact Bloodborne's producer and tell him about the issue.

https://twitter.com/giwamasa
This is a great idea, and I was considering just putting it in the OP, but openly asking for a twitter campaign isn't kosher on GAF. I think that, especially with this issue still likely being present in Dark Souls III, there's a great opportunity for a message to be sent that this issue needs to be dealt with. It's definitely in From's best interest too, this isn't just their present we're talking about, it's their future.

People are going to have to come to terms with the fact that From wasn't ever that good with overall performance in the first place, Demon Souls, Dark Souls, and Dark Souls 2 ran okay at best and horrid at worse on consoles, if anything Bloodbourne seems to be their best running Souls game yet outside of a remastered Dark Souls 2 for PS4/One.

Manu

I understand how some people are more sensitive to these kind of issues than others, but I can't take anyone who says the game "runs like shit" seriously.

Orayn

PC fixes their multiplatform games, sounds like we are getting more From exclusives unfortunately.

As others have said, a PC release doesn't guarantee a fix for those issues. Has anyone figured out how to make the PC port of FFXIII run consistently yet?

Not to be a downer, I'm looking forward to Dark Souls III on PC as well. Just trying to keep the worst case scenario in mind.

Top Bottom