• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodstained for Wii U cancelled in favor of Switch

Cerium

I have so many questions about this.

Who will be developing the Switch version? Will it be in-house or will it be outsourced like the Wii U & Vita versions?

Will the Switch version release at the same time as PS4? What sort of differences will there be between the versions?

I'm assuming there aren't answers to these questions yet, but I'll need to know before changing platforms.

It's UE4 so it shouldn't need an outside port house for Switch.

With Vita and WiiU they literally had to port the entire engine since there was no native support.

Nintendo buying back stock and discontinuing it while everyone called Zelda it's swan song wasn't enough? Or the fact it sold less in its life than most consoles can muster in a year, or that its successor just released 2 weeks ago?

I suppose there were no hints.

Nintendo's support for past consoles is pretty bad, to be honest. Wii was killed years before the wii U, and it seems the wii u is dead once the switch was announced.

On the other hand, playstations seem to get games for years after their successors, mainly from third parties. As for the Vita, it's been on life support so long, i'm sure the God Emperor will have one on the golden throne.

Sorry for the Wii U owners

If they're even thinking about cancelling the vita version I hope they do it sooner rather than later just so I can get my expected disappointment out the way

Oxn

This has to be a joke post. You're a GAF member, you can't be serious about the WiiU's death coming as a surprise!

I'm sure buying the game at retail will be an option.

Its a joke in the sense that i knew exactly what is going on with the wii-u ans switch. But i really did buy a wii-u lol.

jholmes

So in the end, how many KSes actually kept their Wii U versions? Like, two?

Beyond the few already mentioned, Cloudberry Kingdom, Adventures of Pip, Tadpole Treble, Starwhal, Twisted Fusion and you could count Citizens of Earth, just off the top of my head. Hex Heroes, Soul Saga and Heart Forth Alicia have all recently reconfirmed Wii U support.

Don't get me wrong, a lot of projects have pulled support late in the game.

meppi

Very happy with this news.

I've got the 100$ Alchemist Treasure edition for Wii U as well as two Physical Special Backer Editions, one for PS4 and one for Vita.

Really glad this will be going to Switch instead. :)

EmiPrime

The Vita and Wii U stretch goals were really stupid decisions at the time and it's even more ridiculous now that the Vita version has been spared the axe.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Honest question: What is getting released for the WiiU this year? Digital or physical. Most sites only listed a couple things, but very incomplete... I think? If so, the Wii had a couple more titles come out after the WiiU launched, before it died, giving it... a "nicer" death.

I saw this coming for months, especially after Yooka-Layley was moved. But still, it sucks. I was hoping they'd stick with it but also release a switch version, so that this could be the last major release for the Wii U.

Phu

Banned
Honest question: What is getting released for the WiiU this year? Digital or physical. Most sites only listed a couple things, but very incomplete... I think? If so, the Wii had a couple more titles come out after the WiiU launched, before it died, giving it... a "nicer" death.

Off the top of my head, all I can think of is the Zelda DLC.

Ninja Dom

There's a few indie releases every week or two on Wii U and 3DS still on the eShop. Nothing big. Under £10 games (shovel-ware).

Eusis

It also hapens quite a lot at the end of a system's lifecycle when it has a successor. It's not unique to WiiU or anything. But if the hardware makers (Nintendo in this case) isn't making it easy, what's the point?
I suspect Nintendo's being particularly aggressive here. As in, I could see them offering NES/SNES support for awhile, and Sony and Microsoft likely kept at it for at least a year or two with PS3/360, but here they were probably being a pain about it for most of 2016 then went full on "but really, you should just move to Switch" by the end of the year.

Backed for Wii U version, but also have a Switch, bigger but, this game is looking like its going to be terrible. Really disliked the demo, and everything I've seen of it since. May ask for a refund.

Yeah, this was pretty much the logical thing to do once the game got bumped. No surprise here at all.

So weird though, I remember them saying their first projected release window was March 2017 and thinking that was so far away... And here we are...

I think there's a physical version of Axiom Verge getting released, actually.

Oxn

Backed for Wii U version, but also have a Switch, bigger but, this game is looking like its going to be terrible. Really disliked the demo, and everything I've seen of it since. May ask for a refund.

Yea i dunno what all the fuss is about, game doesnt even look at that enticing.

And i love my castleroids.

plufim

Not mad, refunds are offered out of the gate. Sucks for WiiU backers but it's better than other kickstarters where refunds are not immediately offered.

ZeoVGM

Banned
"Height of its popularity"

Latest Kickstarter Wii U bait-and-switch, really tired of this shit.

Blame Nintendo, not the Kickstarter campaign.

People need to do more research on what it means to support a Kickstarter before actually doing it.

jholmes

Blame Nintendo, not the Kickstarter campaign.

People need to do more research on what it means to support a Kickstarter before actually doing it.

C'mon man. I know what Kickstarter is, I know what it means to support a Kickstarter better than most. That doesn't give them carte blanche to break promises.

Not saying you have to share my point of view but "research" isn't what's lacking here.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I suspect Nintendo's being particularly aggressive here. As in, I could see them offering NES/SNES support for awhile, and Sony and Microsoft likely kept at it for at least a year or two with PS3/360, but here they were probably being a pain about it for most of 2016 then went full on "but really, you should just move to Switch" by the end of the year.

Yeah I can see a couple VC titles show up for a few months, but this was what I expected. They seem to really be pulling in devs to jump on Switch (and some, I wonder how many were going to put their titles on WiiU before being forced to... Switch).

Kthulhu

C'mon man. I know what Kickstarter is, I know what it means to support a Kickstarter better than most. That doesn't give them carte blanche to break promises.

Not saying you have to share my point of view but "research" isn't what's lacking here.

No offense, but keep the following mind:

The didn't plan for this
They're making up for it

You can get a refund if you want or a different version.

If the game hadn't been delayed or the Wii U wasn't a abysmal failure then they probably would've still made it.

Shit happens in development, they're doing far more than most Kickstarters. It's not like they're taking your money and running.

Shizuka

Beyond the few already mentioned, Cloudberry Kingdom, Adventures of Pip, Tadpole Treble, Starwhal, Twisted Fusion and you could count Citizens of Earth, just off the top of my head. Hex Heroes, Soul Saga and Heart Forth Alicia have all recently reconfirmed Wii U support.

Don't get me wrong, a lot of projects have pulled support late in the game.

Don't forget Shantae.

This couldn't have been much of a surprise to anyone, but I hope everyone ends up cool with the move forward. It's got to lead to more sales, at least.

Gauntlet

Banned
By the way, who is this mythical person who somehow owns a Wii U, but not a Switch, PS4, Vita, Xbone, or PC? And will somehow still own none of the above by next year, but is apparently still passionate enough about video games to be upset about news like this?

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Nintendo's support for past consoles is pretty bad, to be honest. Wii was killed years before the wii U, and it seems the wii u is dead once the switch was announced.

On the other hand, playstations seem to get games for years after their successors, mainly from third parties. As for the Vita, it's been on life support so long, i'm sure the God Emperor will have one on the golden throne.

That's not really true though. Everyone's still getting surprise 3DS is still getting new games. In fact, we are at the point that people want Nintendo to kill 3DS to shift total attention to Switch.

ZeoVGM

Banned

Actually, it does.

That is part of the risk you take when supporting a video game Kickstarter. Things change during development. Things can happen that are out of the developer's control.

Absolutely no logical person expects them to put out a Wii U game in 2018. The Wii U failed because of Nintendo's decisions and no game developer is going to put out a game for it two years after the console died.

gogojira

With refunds on the table, I've got no issue with this. The Wii U is dead. I'll gladly pick this up on Switch if it's good.

ohlawd

"During our Kickstarter campaign, the Wii U was at the height of its popularity, but the situation has drastically changed after the release of Nintendo Switch. "

I lol'd... When was the WiiU ever popular?

-That aside, I am very glad to hear that they are concentrating on the Switch now, it's looking more and more as if it's going to be the best place for indies, at least for Consoles.

damn man, people already corrected you but

seriously, nice grade 2 reading comprehension lol

That's not really true though. Everyone's still getting surprise 3DS is still getting new games. In fact, we are at the point that people want Nintendo to kill 3DS to shift total attention to Switch.

To be fair, nintendo hasn't said if the switch will replace handhelds, while they were clear it was a replacement for console.

I think they are being hesitant, for fear that it woudl fail and they wouldn't have a portable to hold them up. It's like how the DS isn't the Gameboy DS, for fear it wouldn't catch on.

clem84

Gold Member
No playing Bloodstained with the map on the gamepad? This is disappointing. The WiiU was the only system capable of doing this. :(

Eusis

"During our Kickstarter campaign, the Wii U was at the height of its popularity, but the situation has drastically changed after the release of Nintendo Switch. "

I lol'd... When was the WiiU ever popular?
Splatoon just came out, Mario Maker and Xenoblade X were slated for the fall, Bayonetta 2 and Hyrule Warriors came out the prior fall... Breath of the Wild was yet unnamed but still what we saw looked amazing... mid 2015 was probably when it peaked as a relevant platform!

jholmes

Actually, it does.

That is part of the risk you take when supporting a video game Kickstarter. Things change during development. Things can happen that are out of the developer's control.

Absolutely no logical person expects them to put out a Wii U game in 2018. The Wii U failed because of Nintendo's decisions and no game developer is going to put out a game for it two years after the console died.

I didn't say things can't change. I said they don't get carte blanche to break promises.

Whatever, I've been through the crowdfunding rodeo many times but you seem in the mood to lecture strangers on the Internet, so knock yourself out.

antibolo

Banned
I didn't say things can't change. I said they don't get carte blanche to break promises.

Whatever, I've been through the crowdfunding rodeo many times but you seem in the mood to lecture strangers on the Internet, so knock yourself out.

Dude, you need to let it go. With the release of BotW the Wii U is effectively dead now, and it's going to be even deader by the time the game releases. You can complain all you want but that won't change the fact that the Wii U is EOL now, and it's not the fault of the Bloodstained devs at all.

Cerium

To be fair, nintendo hasn't said if the switch will replace handhelds, while they were clear it was a replacement for console.

I think they are being hesitant, for fear that it woudl fail and they wouldn't have a portable to hold them up. It's like how the DS isn't the Gameboy DS, for fear it wouldn't catch on.
I think it's actually because third parties still have games slated for 3DS, and if Nintendo came out and said "Yeah 3DS is dead as fuck" then that would have a negative impact on said third party relations.

Hubble

If you read the statement, it says they are having difficulty working with the hardware maker Ninendo on the Wii:U.... Logical sense to move to the Switch.

No playing Bloodstained with the map on the gamepad? This is disappointing. The WiiU was the only system capable of doing this. :(
With the mini map on the corner and the full map being one button press away o don't think we'll miss having the full map on a second screen at all.

If releasing Bloodstained on switch and cancelling WiiU helps Iga's chances of having a successful game and potential franchise then I'm all for it.

By the way, who is this mythical person who somehow owns a Wii U, but not a Switch, PS4, Vita, Xbone, or PC? And will somehow still own none of the above by next year, but is apparently still passionate enough about video games to be upset about news like this?
And passionate enough as to Kickstart the spiritual successor of a niche 2D Japanese game from 1997? If you're all these things and still are a WiiU only owner by mid 2018 I'll be shocked... shocked if there are any significant number of people like this.

I think it's actually because third parties still have games slated for 3DS, and if Nintendo came out and said "Yeah 3DS is dead as fuck" then that would have a negative impact on said third party relations.

Depends, once can end of life a platform and still have positive relations with third parties. The Vita still gets a lot of games, yet, has been dead for years.

Top Bottom