• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bombs detonated at Boston Marathon finish line

Status
Not open for further replies.

sangreal

It's a MASSIVE coincidence if it is not them...and we have two angles that clearly show the guy in white hat and sunglasses with a backpack and then walking away from area with no backpack...I don't know about the new photo that was on the news report (that wasn't something that was found online)...it could have been taken at any time...but the hi res of the photos clearly shows the guy with backpack and guy with no backpack are the same

It would be a coincidence, but not a massive coincidence. There are tons of people in black clothing and white hats in those photos. It's entirely possible the guy in blue spent time with 2 of them. You keep saying "clearly" but the truth is, it's not clear, its an assumption. A fair assumption, sure, but there are no pictures from the front of the guy wearing a backpack in any of the shots you've linked. Only after he allegedly discarded his backpack

It would be a coincidence, but not a massive coincidence. There are tons of people in black clothing and white hats in those photos. You keep saying "clearly" but the truth is, it's not clear, its an assumption. A fair assumption, sure, but there are no pictures from the front of the guy wearing a backpack in any of the shots you've linked. Only after he allegedly discarded his backpack

Just look at the hires photos and zoom in...they are the same guys...same clothing...the only photo that shows any different clothing for the guy with white hat is the one new one in the mix on the news report...

here is higher res of original...zoom in, adjust levels...it's the same guys as the one with no backpack
http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18ku22s096ytrjpg/original.jpg

East Lake

It's a MASSIVE coincidence if it is not them...and we have two angles that clearly show the guy in white hat and sunglasses with a backpack and then walking away from area with no backpack...I don't know about the new photo that was on the news report (that wasn't something that was found online)...it could have been taken at any time...but the hi res of the photos clearly shows the guy with backpack and guy with no backpack are the same
I don't think it would be a massive coincidence. There were probably hundreds of people that walked through that area with black backpacks during the afternoon. If we had security footage it would be different but these guys just happened to be around when the few decent shots were taken.

Authorities have footage of them going into a store. But why is that relevant? What's the connection between this store and the bomb? Where the pressure cooker was purchased?

If so, and these are the same men seen in that video, then I'm fairly confident they are the perps. It's one thing to ID people in photos but its another to connect them to a separate location with video footage

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
It would be a coincidence, but not a massive coincidence. There are tons of people in black clothing and white hats in those photos. It's entirely possible the guy in blue spent time with 2 of them. You keep saying "clearly" but the truth is, it's not clear, its an assumption. A fair assumption, sure, but there are no pictures from the front of the guy wearing a backpack in any of the shots you've linked. Only after he allegedly discarded his backpack

Err both have white hats, same hair on the side of the ear, AND a backpack with a thing in the right exterior pocket. It's the same guy.

It does appear that on top of having the hoodie, the content of the right exterior pocket changes, and his sunglasses are gone in the pic with the hoodie.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Authorities have footage of them going into a store. But why is that relevant? What's the connection between this store and the bomb? Where the pressure cooker was purchased?

If so, and these are the same men seen in that video, then I'm fairly confident they are the perps

Perhaps they assembled the bomb in the store washroom or something?

Regardless, I hope it is these two because once their names get out, the internet and media are going to destroy them.

mackaveli

Yes it does, I know. The photos with the backpack and without are from different sets though. I'm wondering if it is possible the guy just talked to 2 different people in white hats. Would be a coincidence, but not a particularly huge one

It could be two different guys.

The first picture with the white hat has sunglasses on the hat.

In the second picture I don't see any sunglasses at all.

If so, and these are the same men seen in that video, then I'm fairly confident they are the perps
The store outside is where a bomb blew up I believe. Is that what you mean?

The store actually issued a statement today. Didn't say much.

I'm not really sure how to feel about the internet taking this much of an active role. Investigation has taken a weird turn.

Yeah, hard to know what it all means. Lots of people mocked it, but the FBI seems to have benefitted to some degree (whether that's being offset by false leads and the ability of the suspects to have known that they were singled out yesterday we don't know yet).

At some level of work, it really does help to have a million eyes helping out. Sorting through the thousands of public photos and identifying anyone who seemed at all suspicious is something that needed to be done and is pretty easy for even the greenest civilian to do.

I think crowdsourcing of stuff like this is going to be a much bigger deal in the future. I'm sure there have already been lots of lessons learned and strategies developed on both the civilian and LEA sides and don't be surprised to see software coming out of this to help organize such efforts (in the same way that Wikileaks led to the creation of tools around organizing and presenting information). The strange tension is the internet at large and the authorities aren't often on the same page—so we're seeing maybe a best case scenario right now where at least the two sides both want the same thing. It's going to be in the best interest of LEA to keep a positive relationship with the types of people who offer help like this.

I don't think it would be a massive coincidence. There were probably hundreds of people that walked through that area with black backpacks during the afternoon. If we had security footage it would be different but these guys just happened to be around when the few decent shots were taken.

You mean hundreds of guys that in one frame RIGHT NEAR the blast site have a black backpack with a weird bulge in it, and then inexplicably don't have said backpack in later photo? Hundreds?

The store is where a bomb blew up I believe. Is that what you mean?

I was under the assumption the Feds traced back the purchase of the pressure cooker to this particular store, and these men were the only ones seen to go in there wearing a backpack. If there is no connection between them, the cooker and the store, then the photos are worthless.

gabbo

Perhaps they assembled the bomb in the store washroom or something?

Regardless, I hope it is these two because once their names get out, the internet and media are going to destroy them.

The media and internet will be the least of their worries if they're publicly named as suspects.

sangreal

I was under the assumption the Feds traced back the purchase of the pressure cooker to this particular store, and these men were the only ones seen to go in there wearing a backpack. If there is no connection between them, the cooker and the store, then the photos are worthless.

No, the store is across the street from the (second) bombing and allegedly shows someone dropping a bag and leaving

You should probably let the FBI do the investigating.

I'm not in their way...as I've said since early yesterday evening...this is something to investigate...

And what photos have been described and shown on the news as the photos of the suspects? These guys...

• Find out which stores nearby sold this pressure cooker.
  • Find out which time they sold it
  • Look for video footage in store or outside a store around that time frame to identify people near the counter.
  • See if there is a match between any of them and ones wearing a backpack near the finish line.

I assume that's what they've done, hence picking out these two

No, the store is across the street from the (second) bombing and allegedly shows someone dropping a bag and leaving

So...is the assumption these two men picked up this seemingly random bag and walked off with it? Has to be a reason why they stood out to the authorities

Coldsnap

The only picture I've seen of him without a backpack shows him still with the backpack, It's a shoulder strap on his right shoulder.

Knoxcore

Looking at these pictures I'm surprised more people wasn't killed/injured. What are the time stamps on these photos? It looks a lot more crowded in these photos than when the bombs were detonated.

Vire

Yeah, hard to know what it all means. Lots of people mocked it, but the FBI seems to have benefitted to some degree (whether that's being offset by false leads and the ability of the suspects to have known that they were singled out yesterday we don't know yet).

At some level of work, it really does help to have a million eyes helping out. Sorting through the thousands of public photos and identifying anyone who seemed at all suspicious is something that needed to be done and is pretty easy for even the greenest civilian to do.

I think crowdsourcing of stuff like this is going to be a much bigger deal in the future. I'm sure there have already been lots of lessons learned and strategies developed on both the civilian and LEA sides and don't be surprised to see software coming out of this to help organize such efforts (in the same way that Wikileaks led to the creation of tools around organizing and presenting information). The strange tension is the internet at large and the authorities aren't often on the same page—so we're seeing maybe a best case scenario right now where at least the two sides both want the same thing. It's going to be in the best interest of LEA to keep a positive relationship with the types of people who offer help like this.

The only way they benefited was from additional photos and videos provided from the people who were at the event.

The internet had literally nothing to do with their findings.

If the FBI has someone in mind, why not post photos and let the manhunt be on?

Feel like they know where they are and are just seeing if they contact anyone else.

• Look for video footage in store or outside a store around that time frame to identify people near the counter.
  • See if there is a match between any of them and ones wearing a backpack near the finish line.

They could have just bought these things at a garage sale. Or gotten them from people. Pressure cookers have been around a long time.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
No the store was across the street from the second bombing. There was an outward facing camera that looked across the street.

So...is the assumption these two men picked up this seemingly random bag and walked off with it? Has to be a reason why they stood out to the authorities

They were seen placing a bag down. Presumably a bag that match remnants found at the bomb site.

As far as I know there is no attempt to find out where they bought the pressure cooker.

sangreal

Err both have white hats, same hair on the side of the ear, AND a backpack with a thing in the right exterior pocket. It's the same guy.

It does appear that on top of having the hoodie, the content of the right exterior pocket changes, and his sunglasses are gone in the pic with the hoodie.

That's not what I'm saying. I assume those two guys are the same. Neither of those pics are from the same set as the one showing the guy with no backpack from various angles, and neither of those pics show the guys face clearly (and the one that shows the front at all has different clothes). I'm not saying they're different people, just that I don't think its a given that they're the same

Futureman

The FBI has video tape from the store surveillance cameras, all we have are these photos. I think it's plausible to assume they SAW them leave the bag that then exploded.

BUT we don't even know if the people in these photos are the ones the FBI are looking at.

East Lake

You mean hundreds of guys that in one frame RIGHT NEAR the blast site have a black backpack with a weird bulge in it, and then inexplicably don't have said backpack in later photo? Hundreds?
The bulge is not weird, taking a backpack off isn't inexplicable, and yes you would have a lot of people with black bags passing through that area if you had it on video for a couple hours.

Phreaker

Feel like they know where they are and are just seeing if they contact anyone else.

It seemed they were going to, then postponed it after the bomb threat. Still a local news (posted earlier) showed the photos they were given and it was these guys, including a photo or two of them I haven't seen.

sangreal

That's not what I'm saying. I assume those two guys are the same. Neither of those pics are from the same set as the one showing the guy with no backpack from various angles, and neither of those pics show the guys face clearly (and the one that shows the front at all has different clothes). I'm not saying they're different people, just that I don't think its a given that they're the same. I don't think it would be a bigger coincidence than a random set of 20 pictures showing the scene 2 hours earlier capturing the smoking gun.

Also, that last pic ostrichKing posted seems to show someone with a backpack, an hour after the no-backpack photos

If this were London, considering the amount of CCTV cameras, you would have a 360 degree photo collage/video of every individual there throughout the day.

The FBI has video tape from the store surveillance cameras, all we have are these photos. I think it's plausible to assume they SAW them leave the bag that then exploded.

BUT we don't even know if the people in these photos are the ones the FBI are looking at.

Thanks for the clarification

There were 2 bombs. The one that went off first, and was closest to the finish line, seemed to have been near the wall (behind the railings).

The second bomb apparently came from a bag that was placed outside the rails

Thats it

No, the second bomb was next to the tree behind the people leaning on the rails. The bag seems to be unrelated.

You can see the tree in this photo (the arrow is pointing to the other guy who they were likely looking to question earlier separate from the duffle and backpack guys): http://i.imgur.com/lUBOpcC.jpg

Vire

Because they might be close to getting them on their own without letting the suspects know that they hot on their trail.

The media kinda fucked that up by leaking the information though.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Will this be the most documented attack ever? With all the pictures and videos because it was a huge event.

Crazy how on the surface, nothing has changed since 2001. Yet in reality, these little devices in our hands have changed a lot of things, everything is documented everywhere even without CCTV.

That's not what I'm saying. I assume those two guys are the same. Neither of those pics are from the same set as the one showing the guy with no backpack from various angles, and neither of those pics show the guys face clearly (and the one that shows the front at all has different clothes). I'm not saying they're different people, just that I don't think its a given that they're the same

What is different about the clothes? It's same sideburns...in photos by the bomb site he has glasses on...going away, glasses on hat...

NateDrake

Looking at these explosions I'm surprised more people wasn't killed/injured. What are the time stamps on these photos? It looks a lot more crowded in these photos than when the bombs were detonated.

Which photos? The photos of these two guys are taken close to 2hrs before the bombs detonated.

rar

someone who knows who they are or where they are might get to them first... and if they turn out to actually be innocent...

sangreal

What is different about the clothes? It's same sideburns...in photos by the bomb site he has glasses on...going away, glasses on hat...

I did notice the sideburns; not the same clothes because the guy in the "no-backpack" photos doesn't have the writing on the front. That doesn't mean much, since he could've taken that off (and I would argue this is likely since the other "backpack" photo doesn't seem to show a hood). I'm not trying to make an argument that they're different people. My point is just that there are no clear frontal pictures of the guy while wearing a backpack. Without that, I don't think its a certainty they're the same guy

Here is the blue track jacket guy talking to someone different in a white hat.

UJZYZlB.png

Looks like the picture was taken earlier in the day.

If they are the two men they are def not hispanic, being a muslim i can easily identify they are north african or yemen/syria/lebanese region. Definitely not pakistani or saudi

Archer

If this were London, considering the amount of CCTV cameras, you would have a 360 degree photo collage/video of every individual there throughout the day.

Thanks for the clarification

I'm ok with not having a world filled with CCTV. 99.99999999999999999999999999999% of us are safe and will never experience this. Would rather keep our liberty than give it up for security. The US has lost enough already.

NateDrake

Yeah, those photos. If they wanted to do more damage they could have detonated them then and there. Thank God that didn't happen.

Well, as others have said, these two are just the focus of some investigation. They shouldn't be treated as the attackers. It's just internet gossip based on a handful of images and speculation of the backpack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom