• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boston police close river, bridges in possible college hoax

Status
Not open for further replies.
PotatoeMasher said:
roflcopter!

Speaking of.

IMG_6217.jpg

Flying above Fenway

Anyway, a point the news made is that this whole thing started at 10am this morning. Why didnt Turner call it in and say "woops"?

Two subway lines were closed, a highway, a major avenue, a river, various bridges.

The FBI, homeland and bomb squads were called in, aside from local and transit police

This thing will have a bill in the millions.

gohepcat

Banned
jamesinclair said:
It is a hoax, the police were called about all the locations at the same time. You dont call the police if youre placing art

The devices werent just near bridges, they were tied to them, in hard to reach places. one was 10 feet up, above a busy road (storrow drive)

Ohh my god. Stop watching the news.

They were up for a week. It was a marketing gimmic. People have been seeing them all over the place for a while now. It just took a few stupid people to make a big deal out of what was obviously a light bright.

Please see herehttp://graffitiresearchlab.com/

Phoenix

Don't worry, Interence Inc will be a wholely owned subsidiary of Time Warner before the end of the hour. They'll never survive the lawsuit that TWX will lay down on them.

f_elz said:
I thought it was funny marketing, not stupid. Those who called the cops... stupid.

Funny marketing = stick it on a wall in an alley

Bad marketing: Under a bridge that carries traffic and subway service, and is hard to see during the day when off

here is an example of a good place

thebridge5.jpg

thebridge6.jpg

Mooreberg

That was the strangest police press conference in history, and I didn't think they'd top trying to explain why a student was shot in the eye with a bean bag gun after the Red Sox won the World Series.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
It seems to me it wasn't Turner's idea to put them around and make them look like bombs.

Adult Swim has a college marketing program in which they give out materials and stuff to teams to promote around colleges and the like. What probably happened in some jackass decided it was a good idea to put them in places where they would be perceived as explosive devices. Which is pretty friggin' stupid and not really especially funny to have to mobilize Homeland Security (though I will admit it's VERY fitting for the Mooninites).

gohepcat

Banned
Mashing said:
This is by FAR the stupidest marketing idea in history. Holy crap, what idiots.

They have been doing it for friggin YEARS. Millions of people have seen them without freaking out and thinking it was a bomb. Honestly.

It's a great marketing idea. How could they possibly know that people would be this stupid?

If I were them I'd come out swinging. Calling the city of Boston a buch of ****ing retards.

Flynn

gohepcat said:
They have been doing it for friggin YEARS. Millions of people have seen them without freaking out and thinking it was a bomb. Honestly.

It's a great marketing idea. How could they possibly know that people would be this stupid?

This is the angle we'll never see on the news. Except for maybe the Daily Show.

gohepcat said:

If I were them I'd come out swinging. Calling the city of Boston a buch of ****ing retards.

It started because the first one (10am) had fallen, so you couldnt see the design, just the circuitboard and tape. Instead of analyzing it, the police blew it up (with water)

From there, the news reported it and people started looking for them and calling them in

White Man

I think this says more about people in Boston being paranoid than anything. This is hardly a "hoax;" it's people brainwashed by constant terror warnings thinking that lite brites are going to explode and kill their families and make their kids gay. **** pussies! America gets less fun every day.

White Man said:
I think this says more about people in Boston being paranoid than anything. This is hardly a "hoax;" it's people brainwashed by constant terror warnings thinking that lite brites are going to explode and kill their families and make their kids gay. **** pussies! America gets less fun every day.

The problem is, a terrorist could go around the city, setup bombs that look like advertising and call it a day.

Then everybody would be bitching that the bombs werent caught before.

or a terrorist could stuff bombs inside a baby and then everyone would want to rip open babies.

and sorry to the guy in the thread who wanted people in jail, dont look like its going to happen.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
White Man said:

heh. I guarantee you the same thing would happen in every major metropolitan city in America. Hell, the world probably. The problem is once the news starts reporting a "suspicious" object being found somewhere other people are going to clue in and go on citizen patrol mode, which is exactly what happened here. That's not going to change anywhere, from Boston to LA.

Mr. Mister said:
or a terrorist could stuff bombs inside a baby and then everyone would want to rip open babies.

and sorry to the guy in the thread who wanted people in jail, dont look like its going to happen.

New York started doing bag checks in the subway after the london attacks.

Baby carriage checks are not out of the question

White Man

jamesinclair said:
The problem is, a terrorist could go around the city, setup bombs that look like advertising and call it a day.

And congrats, the TERRORISTS WIN. At instilling terror. One more thing we can no longer have: fun ad campaigns. Advertisements are just about the last bastion of visible culture in our society, since cool architecture in US cities is dead.

And heck, the terr'sts didn't even have to do any work themselves. We scare ourselves more and more every day. Damned mooninites.

White Man said:
And congrats, the TERRORISTS WIN. At instilling terror. One more thing we can no longer have: fun ad campaigns. Advertisements are just about the last bastion of visible culture in our society, since cool architecture in US cities is dead.

But as I said before, there are places for this kind of thing. Scroll up. The lightbright on a vallet parking sign? Harmless.

Under a busy bridge which just so happens to be over a busy avenue? Not so smart.

Note that the reported ones were all attached to bridges. Nobody called in about the ones stuck to walls, even though on of them was at fenway.

Look where this one was, on a column holding a highway

1170281926_6873.jpg

Not just stuck on, but wedged in

Also note that by that point police simply grabbed it, knowing it was not a bomb

Flynn

jamesinclair said:

I don't want to live in a country where this isn't possible.

Flynn

jamesinclair said:
Im not saying you shouldnt advertise, but either chose a smart place....or hey, seek approval from the city

No, I'm saying I don't want to live in a country where our movements are so closely observed that it would be impossible for any citizen to plant a bomb, paint graffiti or whatever.

White Man

The terrorists have truly won. Even if we wiped Al Qaida off the map tomorrow, we'd still be gripped with this sort of paranoid bullshit from now on.

Flynn

White Man said:
The terrorists have truly won. Even if we wiped Al Qaida off the map tomorrow, we'd still be gripped with this sort of paranoid bullshit from now on.

We'll get over it.

Another sexual revolution, baby boom, economic upswing or drug fad will help us blot out the fear.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
White Man said:
Sadly, I agree. These things were in multiple cities for WEEKS and some hyper-vigilant, paranoid asshat from Boston has to be the one to freak out and cause an over-the-top chain reaction.

I'm embarrassed for this city.

Trakdown

vatstep said:
Sadly, I agree. These things were in multiple cities for WEEKS and some hyper-vigilant, paranoid asshat from Boston has to be the one to freak out and cause an over-the-top chain reaction.

I'm embarrassed for this city.

Wasn't Boston on lockdown during the DNC in 2004 because they thought they might get attacked?

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I don't recall any specific threats of attack around that time, but security all around the city was definitely beefed up. The biggest thing was "random" bag checking on the subway, though I was never picked on.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
this has been all over the news, local and cable. Clever marketing campaign turned brilliant. Can't see any charges being brought... local gov't would feel ridiculous.

levious said:
this has been all over the news, local and cable. Clever marketing campaign turned brilliant. Can't see any charges being brought... local gov't would feel ridiculous.

"Governor Deval Patrick said in a statement that he was "deeply dismayed" by the "stunt."

"I understand that Turner Broadcasting has purported to apologize for this," Patrick said. "I intend nonetheless to consult with the Attorney General and other advisors about what recourse we may have."

Boston Mayor Thomas M. Menino also blasted the company.

"I am prepared to take any and all legal action against Turner Broadcasting and its affiliates for any and all expenses incurred during the response to today's incidents," Menino said in a statement. "Boston will look to coordinate our efforts going forward with Cambridge, Somerville and any other affected agencies.""

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/city_region/breaking_news/2007/01/suspicious_pack_1.html

This is Boston, Im sure they broke like 12 laws. Were the things lit after 2am? Thats probably a law they broke right there. Who knows, maybe the middle finger can be charged under some sodomy law.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
jamesinclair said:
"I am prepared to take any and all legal action against Turner Broadcasting and its affiliates for any and all expenses incurred during the response to today's incidents," Menino said in a statement. "Boston will look to coordinate our efforts going forward with Cambridge, Somerville and any other affected agencies.""

I am amazed that Menino not only said this, but people understood him.

White Man

jamesinclair said:
"Governor Deval Patrick said in a statement that he was "deeply dismayed" by the "stunt."

"I understand that Turner Broadcasting has purported to apologize for this," Patrick said. "I intend nonetheless to consult with the Attorney General and other advisors about what recourse we may have."

Boston Mayor Thomas M. Menino also blasted the company.

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/city_region/breaking_news/2007/01/suspicious_pack_1.html

This is Boston, Im sure they broke like 12 laws. Were the things lit after 2am? Thats probably a law they broke right there. Who knows, maybe the middle finger can be charged under some sodomy law.

What possible legal action is there? The authorities were the guillible ones. Turner Broadcasting didn't do a god-damned thing wrong. Get ****ed, sore losers!

White Man said:
What possible legal action is there? The authorities were the guillible ones. Turner Broadcasting didn't do a god-damned thing wrong. Get ****ed, sore losers!

As I said, if they cant pin it all on Turner (theyll try) theyll get them for placing ads without a permit, and obscene gestures, and something else.

You may not be familar with Boston. Mayor = king and the king has a very large and very outdated lawbook at his disposal. And since Menino declared war on pay phones, I can see him fighting Turner

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Turner said the devices had been in place for two to three weeks in Boston; New York; Los Angeles, California; Chicago, Illinois; Atlanta, Georgia; Seattle, Washington; Portland, Oregon; Austin, Texas; San Francisco, California; and Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

that's still cracking me up.

pollo

Banned
AHAHAHHAHAAHAHAHAH :lol

Shit I go to BU (which is suprise suprise right by the BU bridge) and I haven't seen shit

The students were all talking about this and I just went on studying for my philosophy of ethics class...get back on GAF and see this

BOW TO YOUR MOON MASTERS ahahahahaha :lol :lol :lol

thats frikkin awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom