• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boston police close river, bridges in possible college hoax

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeoVGM

Banned
http://cgi.ebay.com/Mooninite-Suspe...ameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

Words can't describe how much I love the Internet.

moon_terrorist.jpg

Ha, I was right. Menino is cracking down

" The man who sent city and State Police rushing to defuse what they believed were explosive devices around the Boston region was arrested tonight.

Attorney General Martha Coakley scheduled a 9 p.m. press conference to announce the arrrest of Peter Berdvosky, an Arlington artist.

On his personal website, he posted pictures of a small group installing the figures -- little square-shaped men frowning and making an obscene gesture -- on the exterior wall of a hospital, on the awning of a Cambridge bar, at an Urban Outfitters, and a bridge.

On another website, he describes himself as adroit at painting, animation, video and sound design, sculpting and installation art.

Berdvosky's lengthy resume boasts a 2005 bachelor's degree "completed with distinction" at the Massachusetts College of Arts, his second place finish at the 2004 Massachusetts College of Art All School Show, and a merit scholarship he received from MassArt in 2000.

On his website, he also lists several authors who have inspired him, including Douglas Adams and Leo Tolstoy, and included passages that moved him. One sentence from Tolstoy's "Confession" was underlined:

"It became clear to me that art is an ornamentation of life, something that lures us into life. But life had lost its charm for me so how was I to charm others?"

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/city_region/breaking_news/2007/01/artist_arrested.html

ZeoVGM

Banned
Boston GAFers, get your recorder thingies ready for the FOX 25 news in 3 minutes. Apparently this kid is LOL worthy, though I haven't seen him myself yet.

gohepcat

Banned
jamesinclair said:
But as I said before, there are places for this kind of thing. Scroll up. The lightbright on a vallet parking sign? Harmless.

Under a busy bridge which just so happens to be over a busy avenue? Not so smart.

Note that the reported ones were all attached to bridges. Nobody called in about the ones stuck to walls, even though on of them was at fenway.

Look where this one was, on a column holding a highway

1170281926_6873.jpg

Not just stuck on, but wedged in

Also note that by that point police simply grabbed it, knowing it was not a bomb

It was stuck to a magnetic surface. They all were.

They were not "wedged in" anything. They are graffiti (did you not click on the link I posted above to see what they were?)

Plain and simple. They are not suspicious looking at all. They have been all over Boston for 3 weeks, and they have been other places for years.

Never in a million years did I think people would be this stupid, and you are obviously still not grasping what these things were, and why they would be on bridge overhangs.

Christ I've made them myself (not ATHF, but other things), and stuck it to the bridge down the street from me.

Sanjuro

omg rite said:
Boston GAFers, get your recorder thingies ready for the FOX 25 news in 3 minutes. Apparently this kid is LOL worthy, though I haven't seen him myself yet.
I'm ready!

Living south of Boston, I love that our equivilent of 9/11 is this. 1/31 I'll never forget!

ZeoVGM

Banned
gohepcat said:
They are not suspicious looking at all.

.. Uh, yes. They are. To argue this is to be factually wrong.

To the majority of the WORLD who never heard of ATHF, a ****ing glowing character looks suspicious to them.

White Man

omg rite said:

To the majority of the WORLD who never heard of ATHF, a ****ing glowing character looks suspicious to them.

STFU. I see unfamiliar things in public places all the time, and my first instinct isn't to mentally check if every god-damned unfamiliar thing is a bomb.

Phoenix

White Man said:
I think this says more about people in Boston being paranoid than anything. This is hardly a "hoax;" it's people brainwashed by constant terror warnings thinking that lite brites are going to explode and kill their families and make their kids gay. **** pussies! America gets less fun every day.

Or you could just get a ****ing permit and put them wherever you want and everyone who would have caused this issues would have known what they were.

Sanjuro

Any legal action from here are due to Boston PD looking like idiots and Yee-Haw's who need to see justice because they need a break from American Idol.

jamesinclair said:
Ha, I was right. Menino is cracking down

" The man who sent city and State Police rushing to defuse what they believed were explosive devices around the Boston region was arrested tonight.

Attorney General Martha Coakley scheduled a 9 p.m. press conference to announce the arrrest of Peter Berdvosky, an Arlington artist.

On his personal website, he posted pictures of a small group installing the figures -- little square-shaped men frowning and making an obscene gesture -- on the exterior wall of a hospital, on the awning of a Cambridge bar, at an Urban Outfitters, and a bridge.

On another website, he describes himself as adroit at painting, animation, video and sound design, sculpting and installation art.

Berdvosky's lengthy resume boasts a 2005 bachelor's degree "completed with distinction" at the Massachusetts College of Arts, his second place finish at the 2004 Massachusetts College of Art All School Show, and a merit scholarship he received from MassArt in 2000.

On his website, he also lists several authors who have inspired him, including Douglas Adams and Leo Tolstoy, and included passages that moved him. One sentence from Tolstoy's "Confession" was underlined:

"It became clear to me that art is an ornamentation of life, something that lures us into life. But life had lost its charm for me so how was I to charm others?"

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/city_region/breaking_news/2007/01/artist_arrested.html

God this is stupid! Let him go dumbasses

Mooreberg

omg rite said:

38 of 'em... this guy got too much time on his hands. :lol

Phoenix

jamesinclair said:
Speaking of.

Flying above Fenway

Anyway, a point the news made is that this whole thing started at 10am this morning. Why didnt Turner call it in and say "woops"?

Because Turner Broadcasting is in Atlanta, not Boston. So by the time the story hit the news - escalated to CNN and then someone had a chance to actually watch the news at work (people do have other things to do... I know we don't, but some people do work at work)... then find the people who actually even knew about the marketing campaign... it had already gone to shit.

White Man

On the first person that reported one of these, at a bus station:

"This is a perfect example of our passengers taking part in Homeland Security," Venturelli said.

What the **** ever. This country is SCREWED.

Awwwwesome.

It's cliched up the wazoo by now, and it has already been said in this thread, but it needs to be said again. The terrorists won. Authorities are actually listening to the people that are afraid of their own shadows.

gohepcat

Banned
omg rite said:

It looks odd, but it obviously isn't a bomb...christ has the entire world gone friggin mad? I could look at that thing from 50 feet away and tell you it wasn't a bomb. In fact I could look at it from 50 feet away and tell you exactly what it was. Just friggin look at the thing! It's lights and a battery!

Sanjuro

I'm getting the vibe Menino is more pissed that he didn't get to prevent an actual terrorist act.

PS. IT ISNT A AD CAMPAIGN THAT ****ING BACKFIRED! I hate my fellow Bostonians.

gohepcat said:
It looks odd, but it obviously isn't a bomb...christ has the entire world gone friggin mad? I could look at that thing from 50 feet away and tell you it wasn't a bomb. In fact I could look at it from 50 feet away and tell you exactly what it was. Just friggin look at the thing! It's lights and a battery!

People that dont know what it is see an object, with a black pack under it flipping them off under a bridge

Its not that off to think its a bomb (local, not al queda of course)

Remember smiley faced pipe bomber?

IJoel

What's funny about this is that such scenario wouldn't be too far off course for an ATHF episode, obviously starring the mooninites.

White Man

Oh yeah, not that we'll ever hear it, but I bet arrests of middle easterners in Boston increased by at least a factor of 4 today. I can picture Jack torturing someone, shoving a picture of Err in their face, demanding answers. Then he saws off the dude's head and finds out there were no bombs. Or terrorists.

pxleyes

Banned
Smiles and Cries said:
Why does need a blur?

:lol :lol :lol OMG! this artist is a genius

Actually it's hardly an original idea. LED "throwies" as they are called started a number of years ago in NY. They sprouted out the abundance of LED technology and a social commentary on both technology and the steel cities we construct. This is just Turner taking the idea and applying a character to it. Genius marketing, yes; genius idea for the concept, eh. I love it none the less.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I can't believe the news story was 14 minutes long and they had part of the story explaining that Meatwad.. is a MEATBALL.

How surreal.

I'm counting down the minutes until 7 NBC news at 11.

omg rite said:
I can't believe the news story was 14 minutes long and they had part of the story explaining that Meatwad.. is a MEATBALL.

How surreal.

I'm counting down the minutes until 7 NBC news at 11.

Which one will be best? CBS, ABC or NBC?

Wait, WTF, why is the CW news now 7 news?

ZeoVGM

Banned
jamesinclair said:
Which one will be best? CBS, ABC or NBC?

In Boston? NBC, easily. It's bigger than CBS and ABC's broadcasts combined. Like -huge-.

Also, R.I.P. that little seal. :(

I was on the road back from work listening to the radio and LAUGHING MY ASS OFF at this news! I was totally picturing the big moon dude saying "I totally shut down Boston with my powers" and the little one going "YEAH! What joo gonna do about it!" and flipping us finger. :lol

White Man

Shogmaster said:
I was on the road back from work listening to the radio and LAUGHING MY ASS OFF at this news! I was totally picturing the big moon dude saying "I totally shut down Boston with my powers" and the little one going "YEAH! What joo gonna do about it!" and flipping us finger. :lol

We smoke while we flip the bird!

Shogmaster said:

:lol :lol :lol

Quoted for emphasis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom