• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default Outsells Lightning Returns FF13 in the US

KoopaTheCasual

You can be not a fan of Xenoblade, but downright hate it? I just don't see why one would be.

But I do agree about your second sentence. I myself am a long time fan of turn-based JRPG, but after playing FFXII: IZJS and then Xenoblade, along with massive, open world RPG like Dragon's Dogma and The Witcher 2, I just don't wish to see Final Fantasy going backwards. FFXV is shaping up to be precisely what I personally desire for Final Fantasy to move forward. An ambitious open world-ish Action RPG with heavily emphasis on free form, interactivity and exploration.

After XV, I'm fine with them steering directions to a different end. Something purely turn-based like X or evolution of XII could work.
I'm in the same exact boat. FFXV is looking like it could be my GOTF. So as long as it delivers, I hope SE gives the fans of traditional titles another entry with similar scope as FFXV. Preferably by Ito

Kimawolf

I'm in the same exact boat. FFXV is looking like it could be my GOTF. So as long as it delivers, I hope SE gives the fans of traditional titles another entry with similar scope as FFXV. Preferably by Ito
My issue with FFXV is it doesn't look like a FF game. And after FFXIII I don't trust SE with what they show of a FF game. And it seems like you and others want a WRPG in a FF skin.

KoopaTheCasual

My issue with FFXV is it doesn't look like a FF game. And after FFXIII I don't trust SE with what they show of a FF game. And it seems like you and others want a WRPG in a FF skin.
Please tell me what about it doesn't look like a FF title. And don't tell me the combat system. We've discussed that to death in the other thread that Action JRPGs go back to the 1980's before everyone's precious Final Fantasy.

Please tell me what about it doesn't look like a FF title. And don't tell me the combat system. We've discussed that to death in the other thread that Action JRPGs go back to the 1980's before everyone's precious Final Fantasy.

in a nutshell?: all edge, no charm...

'precious' final fantasy is precious. & if you don't, or can't, appreciate that, that's your loss...

Dark_castle

The only major difference is the battle system, and even that isn't entirely different since XV still places focus on the use of multiple characters in battle, where you switch control on a fly to chain combos or to take advantage of enemy weakness, kind of like FFX or Ys 7. Magics, summons are all going to be in tact.

Setting wise, it's familiar to VII and VIII, and parts of XII.

And another thing. FFXV will bring back the classic world map with scaled, third-person perspective like Dragon Quest VIII and airship. The last mainline FF to have one was IX.

Go_Ly_Dow

'precious' final fantasy is precious. & if you don't, or can't, appreciate that, that's your loss...

Not saying you're wrong but we haven't seen enough of the game. And its also all in the marketing. XIII's marketing from PR to media made us believe it was more traditional.

XV's marketing is so far trying to attract new players by focusing on the AAA elements. Closer to release they will start showing us all the traditional stuff they have always talked about. Nomura has stated several times how the story will have lighthearted elements too.

Dark_castle

Fine, skip FFXV. And miss out on one of the largest, most ambitious AAA JRPG that will ever come out in the near future. The rest of us have one vast, beautiful world to explore and plenty of fun to have, you can go suck a lemon.

This news is music for my ears. I hate what SE has done with Final Fantasy and on the other hand I'm really interested in Bravely Default.

Hope they get the message.

If it's genre predates Final Fantasy then why is it hard to understand why someone would think it doesn't look like Final Fantasy

dramatis

I just don't know what the marketing budgets or development budgets are for these games. How long did BD take? LR was made in 1.5 years, roughly, as far as we know.
I don't recall where, but I remember there was an interview with Kitase in which he says the LR budget is comparable to 13-2's. Of course, I don't think they spent that much on 13-2, and considering LR has more new assets than 13-2, I think it's safe to say its budget was not AAA but wasn't below BD.

Though I don't think the sales of LR will or should cause SE to abandon Kitase and Toriyama. After all, Kitase is responsible for all of FF's most popular and best selling entries, and Toriyama played a significant role in one of the most popular games too (X).

His reputation was essentially martyred this gen so that the rest of SE's teams could catch up to HD development, and I don't think that should prevent him from getting an other shot at a mainline FF, though I would prefer Kitase to be the executive director.
I don't consider Toriyama's reputation 'martyred'. He dug his own hole. In the time he loafed around as director on a major project with lots of resources, Tri-ace spit out 3 HD games (Infinite Undiscovery, Star Ocean 4, and Resonance of Fate which released around the same time at 13). Perhaps the size of those projects are not directly comparable to 13, but Triace's releases shows decent management and the ability to develop and release games in a timely fashion. As a director, Toriyama is absolutely a failure.

NeonZ

After great sales for Fire Emblem Awakening and SMT 4, another good for the 3DS when it comes to high quality JRPGs.

SMT4 only really did great in relation to other SMT titles. IIRC, it was close to 100k by the end of last year. That beats every non-Persona SMT related title in the USA (so, I'm counting things like Devil Survivor, Devil Summoner and DDS, not only mainline SMT), but it isn't a high number overall if we look outside of Atlus' own franchises.

KoopaTheCasual

How objective of you....

That's such a vague defense, for something you haven't even played, but already formed your opinion on. And what quantifies charm nowadays? Cumbersome medieval armor? Sprites? Ridiculous chibi proportions?

And btw, that meal scene between Noctis and his father, as well as the meeting scene between Noctis and Stella had loads of 'charm'.
If it's genre predates Final Fantasy then why is it hard to understand why someone would think it doesn't look like Final Fantasy
That's not the point of my comment. He said I wanted an WRPG. Which (I'm assuming) he was falling back on the outdated argument that only WRPGs can be action and JRPGs must be turn based.

He is free to correct me if I was presumptuous.

Go_Ly_Dow

I don't consider Toriyama's reputation 'martyred'. He dug his own hole. In the time he loafed around as director on a major project with lots of resources, Tri-ace spit out 3 HD games (Infinite Undiscovery, Star Ocean 4, and Resonance of Fate which released around the same time at 13). Perhaps the size of those projects are not directly comparable to 13, but Triace's releases shows decent management and the ability to develop and release games in a timely fashion. As a director, Toriyama is absolutely a failure.

Unfortunely the quality/appeal of those 3 games is why TriAce is now just a glorified outsourcing company. :(

Falk

that puzzling face

Trailers nowadays are pretty much all like this. Action sells. Doesn't tell you much about what else is in the game.

They're not going to make a trailer of FFVII with... I don't know, Cloud in a dress.

Chindogg

I realize some people hate BD's story, but the battle system brought me to the game. I missed the classic FF1-9 style and the job system is still my favorite of all the FF systems.

Here's hoping we see more like this instead of the new belts everywhere style of later FF games.

Fjordson

Good, it's a better game (though not without its own flaws).

But it's really sad to see how far Final Fantasy has fallen. I know LR isn't a brand new mainline title, but damn. A new Final Fantasy on consoles used to be an event. This was one of the most important franchises in all of gaming. Have to wonder if it will ever recover or if Square Enix even has it in them to make another decent single-player FF game.

dramatis

Unfortunely the quality/appeal of those 3 games is why TriAce is now just a glorified outsourcing company. :(
I would say the appeal is what did those games in, but quality-wise (tech/content/gameplay) those 3 games average about the same as 13.

sörine

Banned
LR outsold BD at retail, you can get that in the first post of the NPD thread. For digital, we have BD already but not LR, and NPD doesn't include digital. So how can she know? If anything, with the available information I'd say it's likely that LR sold more.

Doesn't matter. We knew LR was going to be a big decline from XIII-2 just because it's a sequel to a sequel. BD made a strong showing and that's good news.

edit: Forgot that super-secret NPD data includes estimates for digital. I didn't realize they went down to the title level with that.
Bravely Default was supply constrained at retail which is partially why it's eShop attach rate was such an impressive ~20% (much like Fire Emblem last year). If stock had been available then it'd have outsold Lightning Returns at retail too.

BD did quite bad in the EU charts iirc. So did LR but it opened at at a higher place before disappearing.

In all likelihood LR has outsold BD WW.
Comparing chart positions in December to February is relatively meaningless for obvious reasons.

Worldwide LR is likely slightly ahead yet but BD will out leg it in the end.

Well, pick any RPG with mainstream appeal and tell me how much it sold in the first month, eastern or western.

200k is less than Persona has sold first month, entries 1-4, and everyone agreed Persona was definitely niche.
You are sadly mistaken. No Persona game sold 200k first month or even ltd going by NPD.

Sadist

Well deserved.

While BD's second half wasn't up to stuff, I enjoyed the battle system a lot. The last chapter is awesome.

Asd202

Did people really expect anything from lighting returns the game sold 400k in Japan and comes out in the west where last gen software dying .
After all is said and done it will most likely sell 1 to 1.4 million world wide which just sad .
Funny enough i think FFXIII-2 sold half of what FFXIII did and now lighting returns sold half of FFXIII-2 .
If SE thinks these sales are shocking after Japan there is no saving them , it's rather funny that SE decide to milk a FF game but did so with one people don't care about .

More like less than 1 million.

Glad to hear that. It was a good game but with its share of problems. It's much more my thing than the whole FFXIII saga. I hope the sequel will get a bigger budget because most of BD problems seem to come from that (and bad decisions regarding how to handle that)
In my dreams, Bravely Second could be on par with the psx FF (in terms of "volume contents").

Mihos

Gold Member
I don't mind Lightning Returns, I may go all the way and Platinum it.

I am taking BD on my next trip. I want to finish it before next month since there are 3 or 4 Vita games coming I want to play.

I dunno ask the guy who stretched as far as brining up the "ff name has been damaged" malarkey...

The FF name has been damaged though. I haven't been interested in a FF in years. And the last FF game I was interested in was FF VI because I had never played it before.

Brandson

Having enjoyed Bravely Default, I wouldn't mind seeing a console version in the Bravely series, as long as they don't go crazy on the budget. 1080p in the same art style and game scope would be fun.

Wilsongt

I'm glad BD sold well, I am enjoying myself. But, Nintendo needs to stop making it hard as balls to find physical copies of games like this during the first couple of weeks. All of the Gamestops I went to said they only had enough copies to cover preorders and neither Wal-Mart nor Target had it. I had to go to a Best Buy to grab it and it was the last copy.

Get off your digital high horse, Nintendo. I can't buy new memory cards for every new 3DS game I want. Those shits are hard to keep up with.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest

I read this:

Software:

1. Call of Duty: Ghosts (360, PS3, Xbox One, PS4, Wii U, PC)
2. The Lego Movie Videogame (360, PS3, 3DS, Wii U, Xbox One, PS4, Vita)
3. NBA 2K14 (360, PS4, PS3, Xbox One, PC)
4. Thief (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
5. Grand Theft Auto V (360, PS3)
6. Battlefield 4 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3, PC)
7. Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag (360, PS4, PS3, Xbox One, Wii U, PC)
8. Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII (PS3, 360)
9. Minecraft (360)
10. Bravely Default (3DS)

Trivia:
-Bravely Default: Over 200K physical + digital

I see BD below LR. Someone explain.

Good sales for both btw, I'm happy for S-E.

Well, in its first month Skyrim sold like 7 million worldwide.... (You know, like Final Fantasy games used to do.)

Square-Enix being a terrible company that has successfully ground all of their in-house talent into sawdust and bone is what's leading to more F2P mobile games.

Considering only two Final Fantasies have actually surpassed 7 million lifetime sales (though X will go pass that mark with the remaster and XIII may have possibly passed it by now), I think you need to do some more fact checking before entering this discussion.

Vire

Considering only two Final Fantasies have actually surpassed 7 million lifetime sales (though X will go pass that mark with the remaster and XIII may have possibly passed it by now), I think you need to do some more fact checking before entering this discussion.

You sure showed him.

His point was that Final Fantasy games were not niche games and now they are.

I don't recall where, but I remember there was an interview with Kitase in which he says the LR budget is comparable to 13-2's. Of course, I don't think they spent that much on 13-2, and considering LR has more new assets than 13-2, I think it's safe to say its budget was not AAA but wasn't below BD.

Guess which SE director released three console games (four if you count FF X Remaster) this generation and which ones released none or one?
The first is Toriyama, the second everyone else

And he was martyred because he was the only one who actually stepped up to produce something. Had SE given him as much time as they've allowed Nomura with XV he could've just waited for the Crystal Tools engine to reach maturity before releasing XIII and we'd probably have gotten a much more open world (and I honestly think there'd have been very little backlash against XIII aside from the standard hate every FF since VI has gotten if that one thing was changed), instead he released three very different games when everyone else in the company was struggling to put out even one.

You sure showed him.

His point was that Final Fantasy games were not niche games and now they are.

Then his point was wrong? Heck, Bravely Default is obviously a Final Fantasy in everything but name, so I don't even see how one could argue that Final Fantasy is niche and Bravely Default is successful in the same breath.

The reality is that LR is closer to something like Dirge of Cerberus than a mainline Final Fantasy, and looking at it from that angle (and considering the budget probably wasn't very high) the sales are disappointing but not indicative of the Final Fantasy brand being permanently damaged (and other evidences point to the same thing, such as ARR's success).

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Then his point was wrong? Heck, Bravely Default is obviously a Final Fantasy in everything but name, so I don't even see how one could argue that Final Fantasy is niche and Bravely Default is successful in the same breath.

The reality is that LR is closer to something like Dirge of Cerberus than a mainline Final Fantasy, and looking at it from that angle (and considering the budget probably wasn't very high) the sales are disappointing but not indicative of the Final Fantasy brand being permanently damaged (and other evidences point to the same thing, such as ARR's success).

The name is everything.

Vire

Successful has nothing to do with niche. You can be a successful niche game. He was replying and refuting to the fact people are saying that RPG's are niche so its okay for Final Fantasy games to sell like crap. His point was that oblivion proves that to be wrong and that anything Final Fantasy use to be mainstream now its not.

Make all the excuses you want. Including a game that isn't even a RPG (Dirge) into a conversation exclusively about RPGs is just missing the point.

Top Bottom