• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default Outsells Lightning Returns FF13 in the US

Zomba13

Interesting. So the Final Fantasy game without Lightning in it but not called Final Fantasy sold better than the not Final Fantasy game called Final Fantasy with Lightning in it.

Maybe they will get the message and keep Lightning in Japan where they seem to want to waifu her.

Dark_castle

Good.

Then again, when I look back at Bravely Default, this game could have been so much more. Gameplay is good, but story-wise, it's not that great.

Riposte

I still need to play Lightning Returns; it's probably not great, but I think it has some concepts that intrigue me. I hope it is the best of the XIII games mechanically and sidesteps the mess XIII-2 got itself into.

Bravely Default doesn't really interest me in the slightest from what I've heard and I also hear it falls apart. Seems it aims rather low for a JRPG and I rather have games break from the mechanical tropes.

Sounds like neither game sold much more than the other so I don't understand the noise.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
LR is a great RPG actually marred by its association with the trendy-to-hate-on XIII series.

Codeblue

Interesting. So the Final Fantasy game without Lightning in it but not called Final Fantasy sold better than the not Final Fantasy game called Final Fantasy with Lightning in it.

Maybe they will get the message and keep Lightning in Japan where they seem to want to waifu her.

I was under the impression that her games weren't doing all that well in Japan either.

In any case, it's awesome that Bravely sold well. I don't really care how it measures up to FF though.

m-bison-yes-o.gif

More popular than other FF characters my ass.

Zomba13

Good.

Then again, when I look back at Bravely Default, this game could have been so much more. Gameplay is good, but story-wise, it's not that great.

50% of BD is fantastic. Battle system, job system, secondary/side boss characters are entertaning, story is kinda interesting but they blow it. What they need for the second game is to not make the same mistakes the first did in it's second half.

If Bravely Second is as good as the first half of BD for it's entirety then it'll be the best FF game in years.

Valnen

I cannot, with good conscience, call either of these titles 'great' games. Both possess flaws that prevent me from saying so.

Well that's not surprising considering you apparently hate turn based combat. I think the flaw is with you.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Hope that sends the message to SE loud and clear. The portable teams have long since been making better single player content, and its time for Toriyama's crows to come home to roost.

How incompetent does SE's management look right now? They refused to localize Bravely Default and it outsold their biggest franchise in the US.

Kaybe

Unconfirmed Member
Even though I think Bravely Default was a total disappointment, that it's selling pretty well is good news. Maybe they'll try localizing some more stuff in the future when this is outselling a "mainline" FF game.

I cannot, with good conscience, call either of these titles 'great' games. Both possess flaws that prevent me from saying so.

I think BD would have been really good if the second half wasn't ass. Job system and combat are interesting and bosses are challenging on harder difficulties.

But sadly as things stand I agree with you.

Terra_Ex

Looks like we need another FF title featuring Lightning, she clearly doesn't have enough exposure, hence why Bravely Default outsold LR.
This is probably modern SE's line of thinking.

tbm24

Hope that sends the message to SE loud and clear. The portable teams have long since been making better single player content, and its time for Toriyama's crows to come home to roost.

All I hope is that SE does NOT get the message to stop trying new things in new titles. Old School RPGs can stay old school. As much flak as people like to give XIII, in particular LR, at least it was trying new things with the way it plays. I'd also argue BD is more boring story wise but that's neither here nor there at this point. BD was not a bad game, just hope we get more variety in their games like say what they pumped out on the DS rather than more BD(excluding the sequel I guess.)

Silky

Banned
Well that's not surprising considering you apparently hate turn based combat. I think the flaw is with you.

Yep. Did not care for BD's combat whatsoever. Wouldn't go as far as to say I hated it, but it's whatever. It's perfectly serviceable, but not the type of combat I would want for it to go with the game's amazing job system.

I think BD would have been really good if the second half wasn't ass. Job system and combat are interesting and bosses are challenging on harder difficulties.

But sadly as things stand I agree with you.

Mhm. The second half of BD really highlighted how much I don't care about the very lore/story progression because the game's presentation/how characters interact with each other doesn't impress me or engages me enough to care. If anything Bravely Default, while clever, comes off as a farce than something I should take seriously,

LR has this same issue in which the combat is servicable/great but the story is pretty bunk. So in the end it's a big 'meh' for me.

I would like to see both of these battle systems improved greatly though.

bon

Hopefully this sends a message to SE about what people actually want from them.

(I'm still gonna play Lightning Returns when I get around to it)

Balphon

That's too bad. I had a lot of fun with LR.

Though I suppose this is a good thing if it means BD is a relative success.

square are the most idiotic dev/pub in the game industry. They have fans who are telling them and voting with their wallet what they want yet they dont listen. Those defunct dev/pub would love to have fans like square. Why are they so ignorant? I can understand not wanting to re make ff7 but ppl dont want 13. and they want real FF experience. I hope bravely comes to consoles

tbm24

My son and I both bought the game digitally. That accounts for two unit sales.

I also bought it digitally. I buy all my 3DS games digitally at this point. Rather just carry my 3ds and have all my games with me than have to carry the cartridges. Digital future is a good future.

It's unquestionable that the Final Fantasy brand has been damaged this generation, possibly to an irreversible state. I have a sneaking suspicion that any future FF sales, FFXV included, will gradually be lower and lower than the previous iteration.

square are the most idiotic dev/pub in the game industry. They have fans who are telling them and voting with their wallet what they want yet they dont listen. Those defunct dev/pub would love to have fans like square. Why are they so ignorant? I can understand not wanting to re make ff7 but ppl dont want 13. and they want real FF experience. I hope bravely comes to consoles

I think the way they see it, all these western publishers have done nothing but re-use assets and make yearly sequels for every game so why not do that with Final Fantasy 13?

They dont understand that the Final Fantasy base wants new mainline games with no characters and new worlds. To Square Enix's credit they did a good job of making each 13 game different, most sequels are just more of the same, Lightning Returns revamped the combat system and made it an action RPG and introduced a time mechanic, 13-2 had open worlds and a monster capture system, those are some pretty big changes, but not what we want.

Top Bottom