• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default Outsells Lightning Returns FF13 in the US

ZeroX03

Banned
As a person who considers FFV to be one of the best FF games, I really disliked BD.

Funny, I absolutely adore FFV (and X-2's battle system), and Bravely Default was pretty amazing to me. Big props to Bravely Default, I've heard a lot more bad things about XIII-3.

The second half of the game is pretty bleh compared to the first half, but if you spread out all your sidequests evenly over the first half, you can just power through the second half quickly and get to the end. It's better that way.
I skipped all the repeat optional bosses, it's a waste of time and makes the game drag on more. Just do the crystals over and over.

"Everything worthwhile" isn't really what howlongtobeat covers.

I did everything except some sidequests
in the later chapters that are completely identical to one I already did.
Doing so wouldn't have taken more than 2 or so hours anyway. And howlongtobeat has a breakdown there, the main story alone is not 58 hours long.

Your playing the version that included a bunch of quality of life improvements, the original game I wouldn't doubt was that long.

Ok, without turbo mode and other improvements yes it would longer. But the western version of the game is nowhere near 83 hours to complete.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I did everything except some sidequests
in the later chapters that are completely identical to one I already did.
Doing so wouldn't have taken more than 2 or so hours anyway.

Ok, without turbo mode and other improvements yes it would longer. But the western version of the game is nowhere near 83 hours to complete.

They're all notably buffed at that point so they tend to be pretty lengthy fights.

and why should you speedrun chapters of a game in a normal playthrough? Just delete 5 and 6 and make 7 and 8 a bit more interesting, and that's it.

A redo most of chapter 2 and 3 also wouldn't hurt

Go to the airship and go back to the ship on the sea. Go into the tavern and talk to the man at the right of the leftmost table. Travel to Caldisla. Go into the inn. Travel to Hartschild. Go into the Goodman Residence. Go back to Caldisla. Enter the palace. Now go back to the ship.

Go into the tavern, then go to the market area. Go up to enter the next area. Travel back to Caldisla and go to the inn. Go back to the ship. Go to the Bridge area (north of the market), then inspect the engine.

How about no.

Good.

I hope SE understands that people want FF games from them with that old FF magic and quality. And don't decide instead that they need to make FFXIII-4 on handhelds, or a new Bravely Default on consoles helmed by Toriyama.

Vamphuntr

The game with a second half filled with recycled content sold more than the game made of recycled assets from previous games and discarded projects.

Still if the 200k number is accurate it's not a resounding success.

Toth

Good.

I hope SE understands that people want FF games from them with that old FF magic and quality. And don't decide instead that they need to make FFXIII-4 on handhelds, or a new Bravely Default on consoles helmed by Toriyama.

So let's examine this rationally with what we know:

1. LR outsells BD at retail.
2. BD outsells LR due to digital sales.
3. No reported difference but based on NPD, it cannot be more than 50k.

Therefore, the data supports that SE fans wanted a new quality JRPG just a little bit more than the third game in a divisive series and it had to be portable to help this. I am glad BD sold well and will hopefully encourage the sequel to come over but let's not make the difference significant when there is no indication that is the case.

Magnus

Oh man.... 200,000 in three weeks....?

That's it?

I'm not trying to sound like an ass, but holy shit. I kind of hoped and assumed it'd do that in its first couple of days. Is that all of North America?

Oh man.... 200,000 in three weeks....?

That's it?

I'm not trying to sound like an ass, but holy shit. I kind of hoped and assumed it'd do that in its first couple of days. Is that all of North America?

It's a 3DS RPG, those are good numbers for that market.

As a person who considers FFV to be one of the best FF games, I really disliked BD.

I share this opinion though I wouldn't say that I outright disliked Bravely Default as I simply found the game lackluster, weighing positives and negatives it did nothing for me. Final Fantasy V and Final Fantasy: 4 Heroes of Light were vastly superior IMO.

As for the thread: Can't say that I am surprised. No matter how Lightning Returns would've came out as a title (speaking in terms of quality), negative pre-release word of mouth and perception was going to screw this game out of the gate sales wise. Speaking on presumed budgets, SE at the very least had to see some respectable ROI on these releases even with the numbers being nothing to write home about. They'd be smart to look at smaller, more sustainable budgets for their franchises going forward.

In short...

A mediocre RPG with a terrible second half outselling a mediocre RPG with sequel fatigue. Sad.

I don't think I'm supposed to be impressed by this.

Ridley327

The game with a second half filled with recycled content sold more than the game made of recycled assets from previous games and discarded projects.

Still if the 200k number is accurate it's not a resounding success.

I don't see why it wouldn't be. The success of JRPGs are heavily skewed by how well Pokemon does and how well FF used to do. I mean, consider that Fire Emblem: Awakening was unanimously declared a success when it came out last year, and it did a bit worse than Bravely Default has done. It's always been a matter of properly managed expectations, especially for a genre where the gap between the mega-successes and what these games normally do is so wide.

RPGamer92

Banned
What Square's response will be: "We are proud to announce... Lightning 4Ever: Final Fantasy XIII for PS4 and Xbox One! Bravely Default? What's that?"

Busaiku

It's very likely that it'll outsell Bravely Default and For The Sequel's combined numbers in the US.
Meanwhile, Europe...

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I don't see why it wouldn't be. The success of JRPGs are heavily skewed by how well Pokemon does and how well FF used to do. I mean, consider that Fire Emblem: Awakening was unanimously declared a success when it came out last year, and it did a bit worse than Bravely Default has done. It's always been a matter of properly managed expectations, especially for a genre where the gap between the mega-successes and what these games normally do is so wide.

Fire emblem sold a million I think ww, If BD manages that (which I personally kinda doubt), then it would be a pretty large success.

That's....awesome. As much as I'm enjoying Lightning Returns (it has its warts!), I haven't touched Bravely Default yet. but I'm glad it's doing well anyway!

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
A mediocre RPG with a terrible second half outselling a mediocre RPG with sequel fatigue. Sad.

I don't think I'm supposed to be impressed by this.

Hear hear.

BD:FF seems highly overrated, and LR:FFXIII is obviously mediocre and it's already obvious.

and BDFF has no trophies.

*runs*

well, to be fair:
1. Fire Emblem never had a game break 1 million WW before, so expectations were obviously low
2. Bravely Default probably won't have the legs that Awakening did, as it should be around 1.5 million WW by now

also Bravely Default sucked in Europe, Fire Emblem did well there

'MURICA FTW, we have better taste in FF games
Kappa

Ridley327

Fire emblem sold a million I think ww, If BD manages that (which I personally kinda doubt), then it would be a pretty large success.

Yeah, it seems like its performance in Europe will put a stop to that, but I would say it will have done incredibly well if it gets to 750k WW, which shouldn't be an issue at all.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
We should rub it in square enix's face

"See this game which you refuse to localize? See how it outsell your precious lightning game? See how stupid you are?"

QaaQer

And, imo, that is the market SE should be targeting with jrpgs. If they pump another $75 million into XV, they are crazy. Much safer to have a few $1 million dollar portable jrpgs on mobile.

I just don't think there are 5 million + japanese dungeon crawler fans willing to buy @ full retail, which is kinda what is needed now for an elite console game to be profitable.

sörine

Banned
Those are good numbers for a JRPG on any system. Ni No Kuni and Tales of Xillia sold similarly first month on PS3 and both were hailed as big successes.

Yeah, it seems like its performance in Europe will put a stop to that, but I would say it will have done incredibly well if it gets to 750k WW, which shouldn't be an issue at all.
It might already be 750k ww. USA plus Japan alone is now 560k+.

jblank83

Bravely Default: All the Courageoustest, now coming soon to a smartphone near you. When you preorder your preorder, ask about preordering the first Season DLC Pass, now with exclusive playable demo of the preorder DLC for Bravely Default: All the Courageoustest 2.

Top Bottom