• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breakup Season is upon us

Schnozberry

Relationship going on a little over 7 years and we're split over kids. She's waiting on me to decide if I'd rather have kids with someone else or be with her.

Shit sucks :(

Time to move on, my man. If she were to eventually relent and have a kid with you she'd end up resentjng both you and the child, and it will be much more complex and emotionally devastating to deal with.

K' Dash

So... you broke up based on no evidence at all? Sounds to me like the basis for this break-up was paranoia more than anything. Yes, people get confused, doesn't mean they cheated, much less that they'll break up with you. Not trying to be rude, but that break up doesn't sound like a healthy or even reasonable way to deal with things.

I did what I felt was the right choice at the moment and being myself the most important person in ANY relationship I decided to end it instead of giving into drama.

Cold, distant and confused, thats checking out right there.

daveo42

Banned
Relationship going on a little over 7 years and we're split over kids. She's waiting on me to decide if I'd rather have kids with someone else or be with her.

Shit sucks :(

How about not doing that to her or your future kids and just end it? I'm sure it's way more complicated than just that, but that seems all sorts of fucked.

cacildo

I actually find a lot of relationships end around april - may

I broke up with my girlfriend in may

Somehow i was really strong and stood by my decision. Im doing great now, it was really the right thing to do
But im really impressed at how strong i was, sometimes i think if i had to do it again (as fragile as i was in those days) i probably couldnt

LionPride

Banned
What is dead may never die.

You can't lose if you don't play the game.

You can't breakup if you are never in a relationship.

reece.JPG
Truth

SpecX

I found out in late May, she was distant, always on her phone. We talked, confessed that she "may have been in love with me", the next day i found the affair, she even left (and keeps leaving) to be with this person and leaves the kids to my mother.

She also cheated before, she thought moving to another state would have helped, having another kid, it didnt, now she cant leave with the kids tonjer home state unless i agree to it(which ill never will, i want my kids around me).

Hasnt been easy for sure. Talking has helped, church has helped.

Ouch,I feel your pain and it almost sounds like my story. The constant phone, distance, going out and not really tending to the kids.

What's your plan after the divorce with her? My wife wants us to be good friends after all this, but to be honest I want to completely cut ties. I feel this is completely unfair to not even try and see if we can salvage the marriage with her just wanting out and wanting to walking away from this debt free.

I'm not trying to stay together for the kids, but I do feel we got into this marriage together and we should try to resolve things before just calling it quits. I know for certain I won't be getting married again anytime soon.

Worst timed breakup I ever has was I was made redundant and my girlfriend who I had been with for a few years and were renting a home together decided that week to breakup with me and go back to living with her mother. leaving me with, no girlfriend, no job, no second income. That's not been unique to me either as I've heard the same story from other guys. I'm fairly confident it was because she did not want to spend more money to support us while I was looking for a new job and to extract herself from any responsibility of potential debt in the meantime.

Jokes on her, I ended up getting a considerably higher paid job next.

Ouch,I feel your pain and it almost sounds like my story. The constant phone, distance, going out and not really tending to the kids.

What's your plan after the divorce with her? My wife wants us to be good friends after all this, but to be honest I want to completely cut ties. I feel this is completely unfair to not even try and see if we can salvage the marriage with her just wanting out and wanting to walking away from this debt free.

I'm not trying to stay together for the kids, but I do feel we got into this marriage together and we should try to resolve things before just calling it quits. I know for certain I won't be getting married again anytime soon.

I've read a your posts on this. Don't be that guy, she does not want to be "Friends" she wants you to keep doing all that husband stuff for her while she can be single and free.

Just work out the childcare and access arrangements. Then move on with your life, she can look after herself.

Its been the other way around for me. Fall/Winter is for bunkering down and getting relationship fat. Then summer comes along and its time to be single with a beach bod.

SpecX

I've read a your posts on this. Don't be that guy, she does not want to be "Friends" she wants you to keep doing all that husband stuff for her while she can be single and free.

Just work out the childcare and access arrangements. Then move on with your life, she can look after herself.
There's no way I'll be that guy. If we can't make this work, then fuck it. My kids will be provided for and that's it.

Magni

I waited over a month to break up with my high school girlfriend because I didn't want her to fail her baccalaureate (French national end of high school exams) and blame it on me. She ended up getting 10.01 (out of 20, passing grade is 10). Broke up with her a couple days after the results were announced.

Wonder if there is a similar break up season right after final exams for high school/university students.

I concur actually. Although it's never really been directly related to holidays or anything personally. Just something about this time of year.

FGMPR

Banned
31, and same...

I had my first at 30. Second at 32. Both were heavy learning experiences that I would never take back, and yet I fell into both primarily because of inexperience.

What I'm saying is... try not to go *too hard* into it when it finally happens. There are way worse things than being eternally alone, trust me.

Condom

I think it's interesting to see which relationships around me break. I like to see how people change in behavior and if some nice classmates get single that's just bonus.

dpunk3

My first girlfriend lasted 3 months, ended in January.

Second ended right after Christmas break, wasn't too beat up over it.

My third ended in summer.

Fourth (and arguably most difficult) ended right after New Years.

Fifth ended right after Christmas as well.

Hopefully my current one doesn't end soon.

I've seen about 3 marriage proposals in the past week

Well, past 3 days...
Chin up mate, somebody will say yes eventually.

OT: Any advice given would be far too cliché but its all true. You just need to wait and get over it, it may take a while but its all you can really do. Its an opportunity, there's so many men and women out there and there is no such 'one.'

Cormano

PM

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
I had to Google cuffing season, you weirdo children.

Well, you don't have to worry about breakups when you've never been in or expect to be in a relationship. I skip all that stress by pre-emptively imagining all the issues that could arise from a relationship and cause it to break down then discounting the idea.

Damn, can't believe almost 3 years have passed since this bullshit happened. Reading that thread makes me cringe so hard now; I was such a goddamn pushover in that relationship. But man, I dodged a huge bullet with that one... she was a miserable person and my life dramatically improved after she was gone. If we hadn't broke up there's a chance we'd be engaged/married by now. What a horrifying thought.

The next few months starting with Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year and Saint Valentines is generally where breakup count goes up. This has been true for me, the last few relationships I had I ended them on the last third of the year, so any relationships not doing so good right now will probably end in the next weeks.

I wanted us to share our experiences, if any, of ending relationships around holidays or birthdays, actually if anyone is going through a hard breakup I encourage you to post and try to let go some steam.

Me first:

Three years ago my then GF and I were going to a rough patch, she recently was going out a lot with some friends who just like to party all days of the week, the kind of friends who told her all the time to dump me and live life and not to be tied to someone, I knew this because she always told me everything, we had a very healthy relationship or so I though so far.

So, months go by and around christmas she tells me she's planning a trip to the beach with her friends, I tell her my schedule is pretty busy at work but I could make some space for a long weekend at the beach with her. Thats when she tells me that is a girl only trip,

Long story short, a few days later she comes to my house for christmas eve and she was a completely different person, I confront her and ask her if she cheated on me at the beach and she told me she would never do that to me, but she needed to think about our relationship.

I didn't sleep that night, I thought long and hard and decided to end it on christmas morning, she woke up, had breakfast and then I talked to her ended it, called a cab and never saw or talked to her again.

You see, she was a terrible liar and I knew something happened at the beach, maybe she fucked another guy, maybe she felt she liked someone else so I decided to just end it right there and there before going though potential weeks of drama.

I hope writing about your experiences, recent or not can help you get some pain out of your chest, if you have any.

Cheers GAF.

What a fascinating anecdote.

Hmm this seems to conflict with John Mayer's St. Patrick's Day theory from his first album, in which breakups happened after St. Patrick's Day.

A ex girlfriend and I did break up the day after Thanksgiving. Was a great breakup though and I got to enjoy a bunch of videogames for the rest of the long weekend.

I'd have imagined breakups would happen primarily during the summer, or lead up to the summer, as people leave school and go home, or have summer flings, etc, and son't want a relationship. Where as many people like having someone with them for the holidays.

brawly

My biggest worry for the rest of the year will be whether or not it's too early to start listening to Last Christmas by Wham and All I Want For Christmas by Queen Carey.

Good luck to ya'll lovebirds tho.

Damn, can't believe almost 3 years have passed since this bullshit happened. Reading that thread makes me cringe so hard now; I was such a goddamn pushover in that relationship. But man, I dodged a huge bullet with that one... she was a miserable person and my life dramatically improved after she was gone. If we hadn't broke up there's a chance we'd be engaged/married by now. What a horrifying thought.

Damn, that thread is a graveyard. People that tend to give relationship advice must also correlate with people who antagonize and don't play well with others. Are she and your ex-friend still together?

black_13

Banned
Going on a date tonight actually. I've realized it's best to be ready for worse case scenarios so in case something goes bad it doesn't affect me as bad.

K' Dash

I had to Google cuffing season, you weirdo children.

Well, you don't have to worry about breakups when you've never been in or expect to be in a relationship. I skip all that stress by pre-emptively imagining all the issues that could arise from a relationship and cause it to break down then discounting the idea.

So you just choose to not have relationships at all?

Top Bottom