• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breakup Season is upon us

I'm to the point where I'm not being broken up with, I'm just losing the potential relationship that would eventually end. on purpose.

Friend broke it off with his girl last month and has been on the prowl hard ever since with weird results. Bad break up.

Dude needs to chill for a minute but hes trying hard to hit the ground running for no reason what so ever. Hes trying to pull me into the game with him but before it was natural, now its just weird. Meh. We'll see what the current season brings lol.

Cormano

Going through divorce here, found out the wife never loved me, got two kids (2, and a 11 month old) and shes in love with someone else, whos also married with kids.

oneils

Op, had you not done it yourself, your girlfriend may have likely waited until the holiday season was over before saying anything. From what I've seen, a lot of people have a weird thing about breaking up during holidays and tough it out until spring.

K' Dash

Going through divorce here, found out the wife never loved me, got two kids (2, and a 11 month old) and shes in love with someone else, whos also married with kids.

How did you find out just now if you don't mind me asking? I mean, after having two kids... damn.

crazyprac

Wait OP, you broke up with her cause u didn't trust her? Like you didn't even know if she really did go to a girls only trip but just assume she was doing something bad? Maybe she was telling the truth?

K' Dash

Op, had you not done it yourself, your girlfriend may have likely waited until the holiday season was over before saying anything. From what I've seen, a lot of people have a weird thing about breaking up during holidays and tough it out until spring.

She probably would have waited after her birthday, it's early January, but I wasn't in for another 2-3 weeks of drama and feeling like shit.

Wait OP, you broke up with her cause u didn't trust her? Like you didn't even know if she really did go to a girls only trip but just assume she was doing something bad? Maybe she was telling the truth?

I broke up with her because she told me she was "confused" about our relationship and wanted to think about it, she already checked out, I just ended what could have been weeks of drama.

Also, the anecdote in the OP was more than 3 years ago.

maybe love isn't real and we're all just lying to ourselves to try and make ourselves happy.

Realize that falling in love with someone is just the results of a series of generic events that can occur between you and basically anyone who meets your standards of attractiveness. It's just an emotional manifestation of a handfull of chemicals bouncing back and forth. It's not the holy grail of living, it's not your reason to exist and it's definitely not something reserved for "that one person." Accept that you are just an animal with a big brain that allows him to fret over what only amounts to a game of hormone pool. What you're feeling is not your soul dying a gurgling, ugly death, but withdrawal. All the happy chemicals that saturated your body when you were with him are kicking out cold turkey, and your body is screaming bloody murder, where are my fucking endorphins? It's just chocolate. Find a new bar.
sHVSkc6.gif

You dated her for 4 years and it's only been a few weeks. Your feelings are not out of the ordinary. Give it time.

It's January right after all the holidays and people want a fresh start for the new year.

Another thing to watch out for is if one couple breaks up in your social circle it has an accelerant effect on other relationships in the circle. Especially if one party of that broke up couple finds someone new they are happier with and everyone can see them in that lovey dovey new relationship phase.

RevoDS

I'm going through a breakup myself.

I was a little blindsided by this as the first time we actually talked about any problems she saw in our relationship was a month ago, when she told me about a ton of issues all of a sudden and that she wasn't sure about our future. We took about a week to think on it and see where it would lead us, that ended up being the most stressful week of my life.

After a week, we agreed to work to make the relationship work. I did...but I felt like she never did, or did so in a half-hearted way. She kept going back to the issues (even while I was trying to work on all of them) and crying every other night...I could feel that I had lost her already, I just didn't know what caused it.

Two weeks ago, I decided I had enough of this status quo which was unworkable, and we decided to break up and that she would start looking for a place to live (she had moved into my condo with me so we were living together but I own the place).

Last Tuesday, I found out that my suspicions were right from the beginning and there was someone else (even though I'd asked before and she swore that wasn't the case), a girl from her workplace, and that she'd been lying to me and hiding that throughout the ordeal. I threw her out that same night.

I'm still devastated. This was an intense relationship, we met on international exchange two years ago and when it ended, she moved here to be with me. To think that things could deteriorate so fast and so dramatically hurts like a motherfucker. She was my first relationship too, so I've never dealt with anything similar, though I can see that some of her points about being less passionate of late were right on both sides. I'm just saddened by the fact that she didn't give us a chance to work through everything before bailing, and I feel betrayed by the lies too.

In the end it was a mutual breakup, but precipitated by her actions over the last month that disappointed me tremendously. We're both heartbroken somehow (I don't get how she can be, but it's obvious that that's the case)

I trust that things will get better though, it's been over a month since I've felt good about anything. The night is always darkest before dawn...

I'll miss her a ton, but I think it's best that way. :(

UraMallas

I feel it's the opposite. I typically break up with girlfriends before Summer and try to find one in the Fall to cuddle during the long cold nights while binge-watching TV shows.

K' Dash

I was a little blindsided by this as the first time we actually talked about any problems she saw in our relationship was a month ago, when she told me about a ton of issues all of a sudden and that she wasn't sure about our future. We took about a week to think on it and see where it would lead us, that ended up being the most stressful week of my life.

After a week, we agreed to work to make the relationship work. I did...but I felt like she never did, or did so in a half-hearted way. She kept going back to the issues (even while I was trying to work on all of them) and crying every other night...I could feel that I had lost her already, I just didn't know what caused it.

Two weeks ago, I decided I had enough of this status quo which was unworkable, and we decided to break up and that she would start looking for a place to live (she had moved into my condo with me so we were living together but I own the place).

Last Tuesday, I found out that my suspicions were right from the beginning and there was someone else (even though I'd asked before and she swore that wasn't the case), a girl from her workplace, and that she'd been lying to me and hiding that throughout the ordeal. I threw her out that same night.

I'm still devastated. This was an intense relationship, we met on international exchange two years ago and when it ended, she moved here to be with me. To think that things could deteriorate so fast and so dramatically hurts like a motherfucker. She was my first relationship too, so I've never dealt with anything similar, though I can see that some of her points about being less passionate of late were right on both sides. I'm just saddened by the fact that she didn't give us a chance to work through everything before bailing, and I feel betrayed by the lies too.

In the end it was a mutual breakup, but precipitated by her actions over the last month that disappointed me tremendously. We're both heartbroken somehow (I don't get how she can be, but it's obvious that that's the case)

I trust that things will get better though, it's been over a month since I've felt good about anything. The night is always darkest before dawn...

You did the right thing, it was very brave of you to end it yourself and not give in anymore to those sleepless nights not knowing if the relationship will last another day.

Give it time, it will get easier, sounds cliche but it is the truth.

Umbooki

Got blindsided with a breakup earlier in the week. The first 48 hours were hell, but now I'm back on my bullshit.

Cormano

How did you find out just now if you don't mind me asking? I mean, after having two kids... damn.

I found out in late May, she was distant, always on her phone. We talked, confessed that she "may have been in love with me", the next day i found the affair, she even left (and keeps leaving) to be with this person and leaves the kids to my mother.

She also cheated before, she thought moving to another state would have helped, having another kid, it didnt, now she cant leave with the kids tonjer home state unless i agree to it(which ill never will, i want my kids around me).

Shit man, that's a rough one.

Hasnt been easy for sure. Talking has helped, church has helped.

Three years ago my then GF and I were going to a rough patch, she recently was going out a lot with some friends who just like to party all days of the week, the kind of friends who told her all the time to dump me and live life and not to be tied to someone, I knew this because she always told me everything, we had a very healthy relationship or so I though so far.

Exact same thing happened to me. I never had a problem going out with her new friends. But she said it made her feel guilty and we should break up. I was upset because I hadn't done anything wrong and she choose going out and clubbing with her new friends over our relationship.

So about 2 months later she gets dropped by her new friends. I'm pretty sure it's because she was the new girl in the group and thought she was as good a friends as these other girls, probably shit talked one of them and they closed ranks on her and kicked her out.

She wanted to come back and have a fresh start. Dumb-ass naive fucker that I was took her back, only for her to do a similar thing to me 2 years later.

So I learned a life lesson. Never go back to an old relationship, it didn't work once and it's less likely to a second time.

Animator

This is a pretty healthy attitude to have, but damn if it doesn't perpetuate the notion of habitual dating taking over where people hop from one person to another like a job fair.

Very interesting to see such a social dynamic unfold at such speed with the advent of social media and online dating apps.

Eh there is no point in beating yourself over someone. Not everyone you date is "the one".

Also I never got a date out of tinder or any other app. I like the good old fashioned meet in person first thing. :)

K' Dash

Exact same thing happened to me. I never had a problem going out with her new friends. But she said it made her feel guilty and we should break up. I was upset because I hadn't done anything wrong and she choose going out and clubbing with her new friends over our relationship.

So about 2 months later she gets dropped by her new friends. I'm pretty sure it's because she was the new girl in the group and thought she was as good a friends as these other girls, probably shit talked one of them and they closed ranks on her and kicked her out.

She wanted to come back and have a fresh start. Dumb-ass naive fucker that I was took her back, only for her to do a similar thing to me 2 years later.

So I learned a life lesson. Never go back to an old relationship, it didn't work once and it's less likely to a second time.

last year just before my birthday my fiancee and I broke up mutually, a month later she told me she was wrong and she wanted to settle down with me and please take her back, I said no but she kept insisting and I felt guilty as fuck cause I had never seen her like that, practically begging to go back with her.

Gave another shot, we bought a house, and thought we were happy, fast forward 7 months and then she told me she could not keep meeting her financial obligations and she regretted buying the house. She wanted out but keep our relationship intact. I told her that if she could not pay for OUR house how could I still be with her, she told me several times not to end it but I broke up with her. In the end I sold the house and gave her half of the money.

Seeing her at work a couple times a week is just the cherry on the shit cake.

Relationship going on a little over 7 years and we're split over kids. She's waiting on me to decide if I'd rather have kids with someone else or be with her.

Shit sucks :(

Kevtones

Weird af timing. Two of my good friends just told me their relationships ended tonight ☹️

I'm about to move in with my gf. Pray for me GAF.

Jeff6851

Last November although it had been pretty obvious since May that she had lost feelings for me I refused to let go and she would never end it. It's for the best though, it was destined to fail.

So, months go by and around christmas she tells me she's planning a trip to the beach with her friends, I tell her my schedule is pretty busy at work but I could make some space for a long weekend at the beach with her. Thats when she tells me that is a girl only trip,

Long story short, a few days later she comes to my house for christmas eve and she was a completely different person, I confront her and ask her if she cheated on me at the beach and she told me she would never do that to me, but she needed to think about our relationship.

I didn't sleep that night, I thought long and hard and decided to end it on christmas morning, she woke up, had breakfast and then I talked to her ended it, called a cab and never saw or talked to her again.

You see, she was a terrible liar and I knew something happened at the beach, maybe she fucked another guy, maybe she felt she liked someone else so I decided to just end it right there and there before going though potential weeks of drama.

So... you broke up based on no evidence at all? Sounds to me like the basis for this break-up was paranoia more than anything. Yes, people get confused, doesn't mean they cheated, much less that they'll break up with you. Not trying to be rude, but that break up doesn't sound like a healthy or even reasonable way to deal with things.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Last November although it had been pretty obvious since May that she had lost feelings for me I refused to let go and she would never end it. It's for the best though, it was destined to fail.

Who eventually ended it?

Not foreign to this specifically in many respects. Take your time. Don't rush back into anything. You made the right decision. Her heartbreak is probably more guilt than anything.

Top Bottom