• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bullshots: How close did PS4/XB1 games come to the E3 builds? Let's see!

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Since you brought up Gears of War before editing, let's remember those glorious bullshots.

jLY92Ep.jpg

Gx8HMIp.jpg

The first pic looks like regular Gears. The 2nd pic was when the game running on he 360 did have that lighting, but had terrible framerate drops & no AA when they originally demoed it. The axed the nice lighting in favor or IQ & performance.

baphomet

The first pic looks like regular Gears. The 2nd pic was when the game running on he 360 did have that lighting, but had terrible framerate drops & no AA when they originally demoed it. The axed the nice lighting in favor or IQ & performance.

Neither game looked anywhere near those pictures.

NBtoaster

Running with much higher image quality with higher resolutions and higher levels of detail and post processed effects require, you know, more hardware grunt than what is available. That killzone looks great is the result of guerrilla's fantastic artistry, but super sampled reveal footage with crazy AA means "bullshot"

The reveal footage wasn't supersampled. Just the screens.

adelante

Is the one with his helmet on the E3 reveal or the release capture? The pic where he has his helmet on has higher resolution textures on the mountain on the left, what looks like more detailed armor (although that's hard to judge since they look like two different armor sets), and a chain mail under armor that's casting a pretty sweet shadow on his arm. It also looks generally sharper, image without the helmet looks blurred.

None of those are major differences that would pop out to me as I played the games but in a side by side they're noticeable.
Was his helmet generating too much slowdown? Seems weird that hes in a giant battle with no helm lol
fixed

a lot of details are missing here

Story spoilers:
Before the beach landing scene, a ship collision threw Marius overboard, causing him to lose his helmet (he picked up a sword and shield from a dead dude near the beach). He's later given one when he got promoted to Centurion after the beach castle seige. I don't think the game plays out in a linear fashion, chronologically-speaking. One of the earlier levels has you playing presumably as Marius who's already veteran Centurion, and he has the fancier, more-detailed armor in the first shot.

Oh and OP, fix that link.

T.O.P

Banned
Killzone and Ryse are lookin great as they did at E3

Shame about Forza but the game still looks really good to me

StevieP

Banned
The reveal footage wasn't supersampled. Just the screens.

Where do you think the extremely high level of anti aliasing came from? Just because the final game has better art direction for the most part, image quality requires hardware beef to process something that has very little aliasing. The final game's image quality has been lowered obviously, while the overall look of the game improved on the back of guerrilla's artists despite it. Edit: and no, gears didn't have perfect image quality either, not even on the PC version

Dot50Cal

Banned
Since you brought up Gears of War before editing, let's remember those glorious bullshots.

Gx8HMIp.jpg

This shot was from when they first announced the game was being made on their new engine. It didn't have a name, but they demoed a couple of creatures and if I recall right and some material/particle effects. This was one of the last pictures they showed. It was VERY early in development, look at Marcus' lack of hair (he was bald). This was still when it was not known that it was 360 only.

Toxa

Story spoilers:
Before the beach landing scene, a ship collision threw Marius overboard, causing him to lose his helmet (he picked up a sword and shield from a dead dude near the beach). He's later given one when he got promoted to Centurion after the beach castle seige. I don't think the game plays out in a linear fashion, chronologically-speaking. One of the earlier levels has you playing presumably as Marius who's already veteran Centurion, and he has the fancier, more-detailed armor in the first shot.

Oh and OP, fix that link.

it's only the armor

NBtoaster

Where do you think the extremely high level of anti aliasing came from? Just because the final game has better art direction for the most part, image quality requires hardware beef to process something that has very little aliasing. The final game's image quality has been lowered obviously, while the overall look of the game improved on the back of guerrilla's artists despite it

The reveal footage had noticable aliasing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDfu1mYQXEg

This is blatantly not supersampled, especially the view of the building when the ship lands is shimmering all over. And it's obvious that the depth of field is rendered at 1/4 res too.

Though the press screens were supersampled as per ususal.

Also, Gears basically never looked like that. Even on PC.

That has way higher polygon counts, better lighting, and just better everything than the real game.

That looks like a nextgen game in comparison to the original gears.

StevieP

Banned
The reveal footage had noticable aliasing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDfu1mYQXEg

This is blatantly not supersampled, especially the view of the building when the ship lands is shimmering all over. And it's obvious that the depth of field is rendered at 1/4 res too.

Though the press screens were supersampled as per ususal.

I'll have to watch this on a non-mobile tomorrow, as I recall watching the video and recalling very little aliasing. I guess it's possible I was remembering the blatant bullshots as well. Regardless, putting out unattainable target images with insane iq obviously is a common industry practice

I just want to say you're comparing a killzone png vs a killzone jpg with telltale compression artifacts. So the final build is actually much closer than it looks there. Half of the so called aliasing in the picture you guys are discussing are compression artifacts.

Gears looked incredible at the time, but it was nowhere near that smooth (nor did it have animations for any of the poses in that shot). The second picture is from the original UE3 demo, running on a PC, pretty sure.

Fredrik

Don't know if it has been mentioned already but I noticed just the other day in a Giant Bomb video that the review version of Killzone lacks some fabric animations from the E3 demo. At the landing platform in the beginning there are some crates orsomething with a, don't know the word for it, plastic cover?, that were moving in the wind from the aircraft in the E3 demo, and in the GB video the cover weren't moving at all. There were also texture pop in on the same crates. Don't know if they fixed it in the retail version though.

Toxa

Looks the same except better shading and geometry to me (his armor... the rock flying through the air).

the details on the mountain, the lighting , missing explosion (the final build shot could be before the 2nd explosion happens)

NBtoaster

the details on the mountain, the lighting , missing explosion (the final build shot could be before the 2nd explosion happens)

Theres more detail on the mountain in the second shot, there's nothing worse about the lighting and there's a wall covering the explosion. And there's a whole extra tower, and higher poly rock.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'll have to watch this on a non-mobile tomorrow, as I recall watching the video and recalling very little aliasing. I guess it's possible I was remembering the blatant bullshots as well. Regardless, putting out unattainable target images with insane iq obviously is a common industry practice

There was a ton of aliasing in the reveal, it was just using FXAA at the time. It's not too apparent in Youtube videos because of compression but it is there.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
It's annoyingly obvious how most of the buildings in the KZSF city are very simple blocks.

If you'd actually seen the game then you'd know that it's not some glorified skybox. The camera swoops all over the place in that title sequence and everything holds up.

Did the FIFA shot get changed, or was it always Ronaldo? I personally think it looks quite good, much better than the plastic-CGI shit of the first shot (which was never claimed to be in-game IIRC)

Sean*O

It's pretty bad. Like they said "We can't lock 60 fps on this level so everyone just stand in front of this camera real quick" during like the last week of development.

Also looks like they tried to diversify by changing the color of garments in photoshop. Rushed job and possibly a last resort to make the game keep framerate after trying to make 3D crowd work.

UE3 never supported dynamic lighting like this until very recently so...

The irony is not lost on me that Killzone's debut footage is the one closest to the final product.

Remember when people thought the PS3 could do this?

kz6--screenshot_large.jpg

The funny thing about the PS3 reveal is that some of the studios had never even seen the footage Sony was using in the press conference. The Motorstorm guys straight up said they were shocked when they saw it (and didn't see it until everybody else did)- a third party CGI studio initially made it. They were like "ooookay... I guess that's our target then."

But you know what, I think they did a pretty good job. The Killzone guys too, really. Those targets were unrealistic.

Bundy

Banned
Biggest differences are in Forza and Ryse.
Bullshots looked a lot better.

(I don't even want to start talking about EA)

Flai

Lots of downgrades in Killzone, especially farther away objects looked a lot better in the reveal build. There are obviously some upgrades as well, but I'd say from those comparison shots that were on the last page, the reveal version was slightly more impressive than the final version.

Biggest differences are in Forza and Ryse.
Bullshots looked a lot better.

(I don't even want to start talking about EA)

Really? Did you not see the EA games? Besides Ryse looks just as good if not better than the reveal trailer, armor and skin tone look much more realistic.

Fredrik

Killzone looks really good, only subtle differences. In fact I prefer the final build.
The fabric animations on the pile of crates covered up at the landing platform at the start would've been great though, makes the world seem more alive, once you notice it being gone it really stick out.

Top Bottom