• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bunch of PSVR games turning into vaporware

JordanN

Banned
Has anyone consider the possibility of more VR game studios opening?

VR is the start of a new medium, so once we see new developers enter the market, the rest of the support should follow.

Having current AAA teams splits themselves to work on VR was always a problem. So what if they're just in the process of actually giving them dedicated homes?

Only thing that is bugging me is I'm impatient for more news but as somebody who has bought nearly every console at launch since the PS1 the lack of news at this point is pretty much standard. Even these kind of threads are nothing new, just look at the nonsense which comes out every launch year.

yeap

2007 ps3 has no games
2014 ps4 has no games.

PSVR has only just come out, so I wouldn't worry yet. If it gets to this time next year and we still haven't got many new games, then it would be time to worry but I'm sure some of those VR games and add ons that have been delayed will show up soon, as well as new games like Farpoint ect.

Just like with VR on PC, Sony probably know PSVR will be a slow burn because the tech is still on the expensive side right now, although from reports, it seems like PSVR outsold both Rift and Vive combined, putting it around 800,000+ sold but I guess we won't know exact numbers unless Sony tells us.

I can't even....no idea where to begin.

1. PSVR is less than four months old.
2. PSVR had the best launch lineup of anything in years
3. PSVR was easily 30% of the Playstation experience on the floor.
4. PSVR is leading the VR hardware sales by a SIGNIFICANT margin.
5. PSVR adoption rate seems extraordinary if online enthusiasm is an indication.

The PSVR doesn't have the best launch lineup when compared to the PS4 itself. The launch lineup of the PSVR consisted mostly of demo's, "experiences", and barely a handful of retail games are able to make it to 4-6 hours of fresh content.

The PSVR missed something along the lines of Black Flag, a good 20 hour game where the player is immersed due to graphics, fun, and continued gameplay. All the games I played only ticked 1 or 2 of these boxes, and sadly none of them ticked the continued gameplay box.

PSVR has so much potential, as it's demonstrated in EVE Valkyre during the 2nd mission of being in the center of a giant space battle, but it also encapsulates what's wrong with the games at the moment. When the battle starts, it's gorgeous to see in just 1080p. Ships firing large laser beams and explode all around you, you starting to have fun. And then it ends, barely 4 minutes once the fun starts.

I'll probably will pick up Resident Evil 7, and hope that will be the Black Flag of PSVR, until Elite: Dangerous Horizons comes out.

Burglekutt

Its only been out for 3 months and i believe there has been only one maybe two weeks over that span that didnt have a new vr game release.

PSVR has only just come out, so I wouldn't worry yet.

I was in this camp until PSX but it had a very miserable showing. There's very little on the horizon for it, I'm definitely glad I held off on it.
A lot of indie developers like Joe Radak have claimed making VR games isn't profitable right now and with 3rd parties seemingly showing dwindling interest there's a huge emphasis on Sony to lead the way and push sales and confidence. Something they failed to do at PSX, much like the Vita they appear content to leave it out in the wild and see what developers want to make with it, I don't think that's going to work out too well.

Man sorry, but what a load of bullshit you are saying. Playstation Experience had more than 30% of their floor for VR games. Comparing it to the move (which is usable with PSVR hurah! so it's still usable nowadays) and EyeToy is just stupid. Have you used one yourself? If you have then I still can't take you for real or serious.

I may have been interpreted incorrectly. I am not speaking against the experience VR can bring, and has, I am speaking to how Sony treats its peripherals besides their main console post PSP.

I think VR is a truly engaging experience, and steps beyond gimmick when done correctly, what I don't see happening is Sony actually giving a rats ass in supporting the platform. Not that they have to, I just hate how Sony markets, then abandons is what the OPs examples feel like to me.

cakely

Seems there's a growing number of PSVR titles that we have stopped hearing about for a very long time, some simply missed their initial deadlines and we havent hear any explanation...

Fated: The Silent Oath and Psychonauts were scheduled for Q4 2016 and they are not released (yet at least). They might still come out though, and are just getting delayed silently.

This is the only one of these games I can speak to.

As far as I know, Psychonauts in the Rhombus of Ruin is still going to be released. It's a bridge between Psychonauts and Psychonauts 2, and AFAIK, Pyschonauts 2 is still go. PitRoR has the same voice cast and hopefully shares some other assets, so it being cancelled wouldn't bode well for P2.

It's currently my most anticipated PSVR release.

The rest of this thread is kind of a bummer, isn't it.

Mendrox

I may have been interpreted incorrectly. I am not speaking against the experience VR can bring, and has, I am speaking to how Sony treats its peripherals besides their main console post PSP.

I think VR is a truly engaging experience, and steps beyond gimmick when done correctly, what I don't see happening is Sony actually giving a rats ass in supporting the platform. Not that they have to, I just hate how Sony markets, then abandons is what the OPs examples feel like to me.

But they do market it and all.

There is one big problem and that is that you cannot really show videos of VR games, because you have to play them yourself. That is also the reason why some funny people say "LOL FINALLY VR IS FAILING" because they don't know what VR is. The reason? They didn't experience it themselves (or tried GearVR LOL). Playstation Experience had many VR titles, there are almost daily people in r/PSVR who ask people what they want in games and what they are currently testing and all.

People.Are.Impatient.

Tagyhag

I knew this would happen when people were telling me PSVR was going to get more games than the Vive.

VR is still in its infancy, and not only that, PSVR is in a closed system. The games will come, but it takes time, even for games like FFXV.

You just have to be patient, you did buy early access VR after all.

Its only been three months.....geez.

Also OPs post history is a bit suspect. Are you attempting to divert some of the negativity away from Vive or Switch? lol

Sony actually giving a rats ass in supporting the platform.

I read this a lot online but in the case of the move, eyetoy, the wonderbook, the psp and the vita Sony were the only big company properly supporting them.

Take the Vita, it was pitched as a console quality gaming on the go but beyond hack job versions of call of duty, assassins creed and fifa that nobody wanted the mass consumer publishers such as EA, Ubisoft and Activision didn't support the device. Indies and smaller Japanese publishers did but they are not the main system sellers to a wider market and the Vita was pitched to that market. Sony was the only company that brought out any larger games of note on the system.

The Playstation isn't successful because of the exclusive content that Sony develops but rather it is the console of choice for the big developers. Sony forgot this early on with the PS3 and the Xbox 360 profited from it. The success of PSVR in the long run is if they can build the player base large enough for the bigger publishers to deem it profitable to release an exclusive big money content for it. PSVR unlike the Vita has the luxury of sharing a system with the PS4 which the Vita didn't have and is also a much improved experience for many genres unlike the move or eyetoy. Just being able to have a VR mode in RE7, Dirt Rally, and Driveclub from larger developers so quickly with more on the way and better than the standard version is very encouraging and that smaller devs can do the same such as Rez Infinite, Thumper, Volume and Bound. Then games like Batman VR, Eagle Flight, Werewolves Within and experiences like CoD Jackal Assault and Battlefront VR mission whilst being simple in the case of the later two and great in the former show that the bigger publishers are interested and unlike what we got with Vita are actually good.

Pif

Banned
Good thing is ad long as PC VR exists, PSVR is always gonna grab some ports from there since it is the best selling headset.

This is not a Vita situation where the handheld had poor sales and no cousins to get ports from.

I was in this camp until PSX but it had a very miserable showing. There's very little on the horizon for it, I'm definitely glad I held off on it.
A lot of indie developers like Joe Radak have claimed making VR games isn't profitable right now and with 3rd parties seemingly showing dwindling interest there's a huge emphasis on Sony to lead the way and push sales and confidence. Something they failed to do at PSX, much like the Vita they appear content to leave it out in the wild and see what developers want to make with it, I don't think that's going to work out too well.

Well a ton of games came out at launch, so they will spread games out a bit and just because they didn't show anything at PSX, it doesn't mean they aren't coming.

RE7, Farpoint, Fantastic Contraption, Ace Combat 7, Star Trek: Bridge Crew, Dino Frontier, Starblood Arena, SYREN, Superhot, Psychonauts 2, GNOG, Golem.....

There's still a good amount coming and hopefully more will be announced before or at E3.

BigEmil

Its only been three months.....geez.

Also OPs post history is a bit suspect. Are you attempting to divert some of the negativity away from Vive or Switch? lol

It's ArtHands, he'll always try to downplay or shitpost ps4 or psvr anywhere he can, his previous post history and obvious threads are giveaways

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I knew this would happen when people were telling me PSVR was going to get more games than the Vive.

VR is still in its infancy, and not only that, PSVR is in a closed system. The games will come, but it takes time, even for games like FFXV.

You just have to be patient, you did buy early access VR after all.

when the dev doesnt even tweet about a game for a lengthy period and the game missed its launch date with no explanation or update for months, then i dont think its unfair to start questioning. Its not about the lengthy dev time, more like not showing anything that it is still alive.

when the dev doesnt even tweet about a game for a lengthy period and the game missed its launch date with no explanation or update for months, then i dont think its unfair to start questioning. Its not about the lengthy dev time, more like not showing anything that it is still alive.

Missing a launch date with no mention is a bit unusual but that could be because it failed cert, which on a closed platform is going to be strict for VR which it needs to be.

3 months isn't lengthy at all, most games go years without updates it is pretty much the norm especially as it costs a lot to market and VR has a small user base. If there is no new information at all around GDC which has been Sony's PSVR conference in the past then it would be unusual but still wouldn't really be as that is dev focused not consumer focused, generally you don't hear much until near release or something like E3/TGS/Gamescom.

Yeah, I suspect a lot of those game add-on VR content (FFXV, Tekken) won't see the light of day, but I wouldn't discount Modern Zombie Taxi Co.

That's being developed by Vitei, but they recently finished development on Tank Troopers for Nintendo, which might explain why it's taking a while.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I new this was an Arthands thread before entering. He's become white noise in the official thread so he needs a new platform to be down on PSVR I guess.
It wouldn't surprise me if this dude has been sitting on clicking the post button for this very thread for the last 2+ months.

fronn

This is the part of the gaming world I really dislike... people's impatience is incredible. If you guys have enough time to play through all the games on every system, you likely need to reassess where you are putting your time anyways.

Do people not remember how this happens to literally every console? There's always a slow period after the initial release while things ramp up (and to PSVR's credit the amount of releases in the first 3 months has been pretty surprising - there's already a lot of games worth owning).

People's eagerness to call something a failure barely 3.5 months after it's launch is baffling. But there's a lot about people's behavior online that doesn't make much sense.

PSVR is awesome and doing fine. The only reason it hasn't sold more at this point is because of stock issues. It's my favorite piece of gaming equipment since the PS1, frankly - it doesn't have the quantity of games yet, but the modern VR headsets are a total game changer. If at E3 there's no footprint, then we can start to worry.

If PSVR is dead now, then Switch is DOA, obviously, because look at how few games there are slated at launch and in the months afterwards. You guys are nuts.

Also, I find it weird how people seem to think the Vita is a huge failure... it has dozens and dozens of good games on it, what are people actually disappointed about? that it didn't sell 50-100 million units? Or is success a metric of how many call of duty games are released on the console? It's a "dead" console and it still gets releases. The PSVita library is about 4x (being a highly conservative estimate) the size of the N64s library.

sajj316

Not stressed at my purchase. I wish there was more info but I understand why. Why generate interest when there isn't enough hardware on the shelf to sell. Its crazy how difficult it is to get a PSVR.

M-PG71C

I say give it to E3 before we start going into panic mode. If Sony pulls a Vita, then we have something to be concerned about lol

Kyolux

(I just want escape room games!)

There's a few on the way. There's a few out already.

I Expect You To Die and Weeping Doll offers that escape room experience right now. I may even be forgetting some.

Upcoming, there's Dying Reborn, Don't Knock Twice (I think, though it might be more a youtuber horror game than an escape room), GNOG and Statik for a focus on puzzles and not actually escaping, but the puzzles may remind you of escape room stuff. And I'm probably missing some.

Anyway, not saying you should get a PS VR, just saying these games exist.

btrboyev

I'm ready to put mine up on Craigslist. There is absolutely nothing coming down the pipe that has been announced that are full game experiences.

sajj316

RE7 will be the first game I start and finish in VR. Hopefully this reignites some interest in PSVR and Sony pushes more units out.

While I don't think people are wrong to say PSVR is going the Vita route, I do think it is a premature assumption. Yes, studios have been closed that were responsible for VR launch games but there are 4 major PSVR releases this year already planned. RE7, Ace Combat, Farpoint, and GT Sport. If we get to E3 and these games haven't been successful, AND we don't see/hear any new titles being developed for PSVR then it is officially time to assume the worst. But until then, I think it is more of a product of devs focusing on PSVR Launch window and now there is a lull as devs/pubs reload and decide what to do next.

Between the lack of titles and hardware availability, (Seriously, closest Gamestop that had one to me was in Cali, and I'm in Utah..) I'm thinking of just grabbing a Pro in the interim before software starts getting put out at a reasonable rate.

As a previously DK2 and now Vive here.. I agree.. we are still in beta. There are a lot of things that aren't working right or just off. But even with that it's worth it to me, first breath of fresh air I've seen in a long time. With over 30 some years of gaming I had wondered if I would ever see that type of excitement and newness in gaming I experienced when I was younger. Vr did it. So keep your heads up psvr owners and keep playing and buying games.. the format will keep growing.

I've got to cosign this. I found that I was becoming apathetic to gaming. Having done it for 30+ years, the experiences that I absolutely had to play were fewer and fewer. Maybe a Nintendo title or some exceptional Naughty Dog thing...

But PSVR changed everything. I'm one of the lucky ones who doesn't get sick. There's something about these PSVR games that recaptures the excitement of my youth on c64 or early NES. I love these indie games.

But RE7 feels unreal. As was said above, it's like a generational leap.

Symbiotx

lol more PSVR panic. It's the whole "PS4 has no games!" all over again. Give it some time and quit saying the sky is falling.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Between the lack of titles and hardware availability, (Seriously, closest Gamestop that had one to me was in Cali, and I'm in Utah..) I'm thinking of just grabbing a Pro in the interim before software starts getting put out at a reasonable rate.
This would be a very smart way to go about it imo. You can pickup PSVR later down the line when they actually start being available in stores with more mature software lineup. Pro+PSVR combo imo is the way to go because of the much needed IQ improvements.

test_account

XP-39C²
I'm a PSVR owner, and I have to say that I find this to be really shitty news.

RE7 was really the main reason I bought the unit, and I am not sure that I see anything compelling on the horizon besides possibly Bridge Commander.

Starting to doubt that PSVR was a good purchase... I feel like Sony lied to us.
What did they say regardling "lied to us"?

KORNdoggy

At least give it a solid year. It has been 3 months and those 3 months have been very loaded in terms of games. I'm not sure i'd have wanted to release zombie taxi company in amongst the likes of rigs, battlezone, eagle flight, until dawn, batman etc. It wouldn't even get a look in.

Where I live in Japan, it's impossible to find. There have been only like two shippments, both small and sold out quickly. Next week we are getting another shipment to go a long with resident evil 7 but I seriously doubt it will make much a dent in the demand. The thing is super popular here and many many people want it. Me too and sadly I'll probably won't be able to get one for months considering the situation as it is here. I'm hoping Sony gets more into the market here fast

Where do you live? I swear I saw like 50 of them at bic camera a few weeks ago.

Tagyhag

Unless they say it's outright cancelled or you hear nothing about it in a year's time, then you shouldn't panic.

Besides, if we're being honest here, that FFXV VR Experience looks like shit lol.

Top Bottom