• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bunch of PSVR games turning into vaporware

Tagyhag

Well, I think that would be the "promising attach rates" bit.

My issue was using "strong sales" as a differentiator which justifies developing for PC VR rather than PSVR. My understanding is that PSVR has sold rather well, given its supply constraints. If hardware sales are a factor I would have thought that PSVR would be on equal footing with Vive and OR, at least.

It probably is a combination of a bunch of factors. Attach rate, dev costs, closed hardware vs open hardware etc.

PSVR definitely sold more than the other VR systems according to some sources, but that doesn't mean that the games all sell better. Especially since we're at the infancy of VR, most games are niche indie games. Games that historically sell more on PC.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
It's a good product and works well.. the support is shit though.

Sony better not Vita this thing.

It probably is a combination of a bunch of factors. Attach rate, dev costs, closed hardware vs open hardware etc.

PSVR definitely sold more than the other VR systems according to some sources, but that doesn't mean that the games all sell better. Especially since we're at the infancy of VR, most games are niche indie games. Games that historically sell more on PC.

This is more what I meant. I didn't mean to use "strong sales" as a reason as to why Vive/Oculus is better or different. Rather it was intended to mean that the strong sales of Vive/Oculus (separate and irrelevant to PSVR) combined with better tech and strong software support and sales is why we're interested in those platforms.

Yeah, you're probably right. I don't know what the certification processes are like, but I can imagine getting stuff on the PSN store isn't exactly seamless.

My hope is that we get a healthy VR ecosystem where big mass-market games that target all the big platforms generate enough interest from consumers and publishers to bankroll more avant-garde edgy stuff that might only appear on one or two platforms (probably PC), but which create ideas that then filter down into the rest of the market.

ryseing

The entire VR hype train lied to you. It was always going to be a failure and a shitshow. I could see it a mile away, but nobody listens to me.

Nobody "lied" except the VCs throwing money like no tomorrow at VR, and they did that because it's their job to throw money at emerging markets. Most people, myself included, said it will be a niche product for the next few years until price + complexity go down.

Which is fine. Niches can be very profitable.

Teknoman

If the RE7 VR midnight demo is any indicator for the full game, it will be one hell of a survival horror experience. That alone should drum up even more hype. That being said, I'm still uneasy about the rest of the support.

If the RE7 VR midnight demo is any indicator for the full game, it will be one hell of a survival horror experience. That alone should drum up even more hype. That being said, I'm still uneasy about the rest of the support.

I'm still struggling with RE7: I know that I should just play through it in VR, but I struggled with the demo, and there was some familiarity with the locations from previous non-VR playthroughs.

Going into a new environment with unknown jump scares in VR is going to be tough. Time to man up.

tr00per

Psychonauts was at psx
And I have played war thunder myself
Tekken doesn't even have a release date but I imagine it and doa are just model viewer modes.

The only one I think is alarming is ffxv but I haven't personally looked into it for fear of spoilers

Edit : thanks for the dev insight superNESjoe. I kinda wish that Sony would release some sales numbers (never thought I'd say that...) because I have a feeling that attach rates are rather high.

Raonak

Banned
The launch had tons of legitimately fun games, hell, the most fun i've had this gen was due to VR. (Until Dawn, Batman, Tumble, Trackmania, VR Worlds) The only problem was they werent meaty games.

It is concerning that there isn't much announced past RE7. But Im hopeful sony didn't announce anything at PSX because they were still sold out. Now that they're being restocked, hopefully we're gonna start seeing more announcements.

VR is way too good to ignore imo. RE7 felt totally revolutionary in VR. The feeling of being in the enclosed space, and doing stuff like leaning your head to peek around corners. shit like that is amazing.

Teknoman

I'm still struggling with RE7: I know that I should just play through it in VR, but I struggled with the demo, and there was some familiarity with the locations from previous non-VR playthroughs.

Going into a new environment with unknown jump scares in VR is going to be tough. Time to man up.

It felt familiar but fresh, especially since now you could actually physically look under objects for items, instead of just crouching / etc. The feeling of depth in the environments really gets you (walking down the stairs into the basement or having those body bags feeling way too close).

It felt familiar but fresh, especially since now you could actually physically look under objects for items, instead of just crouching / etc. The feeling of depth in the environments really gets you (walking down the stairs into the basement or having those body bags feeling way too close).

I thought it was a really good implementation, the initial config room was a good idea.

What I found most disturbing was the sense of presence in somewhere so threatening: the grime and blood, creaking floorboards upstairs. When I took the headset off I felt weirdly anxious for a while, not in a motion sickness way, but just a bit freaked out.

I'll be fine once I've got a shotgun.

Chabbles

Does the RE7 demo have any actual walking around ?, or are people just talking about the sitting down demo thing ?. If its the latter, its going to be a real test to see if PS4 is capable of delivering a non vomit fest, full fledged first person game. I've no real interest in PSVR anymore, but its still interesting to see how this experience will play out. The Vive has my interest instead, Sony dropped the hype ball monumentally imo with their silence and lack of stock.

Raonak

Banned
Does the RE7 demo have any actual walking around ?, or are people just talking about the sitting down demo thing ?. If its the latter, its going to be a real test to see if PS4 is capable of delivering a non vomit fest, full fledged first person game. I've no real interest in PSVR anymore, but its still interesting to see how this experience will play out. The Vive has my interest instead, Sony dropped the hype ball monumentally imo with their silence and lack of stock.

It's got walking. You can choose smooth turning, or 30 degree increments, which pretty much bypasses nausea in my experience.

Ferrio

Banned

Yes it does. It has options to reduce motion sickness like snap turning.

TheMan

Psychonauts was at psx
Tekken doesn't even have a release date but I imagine it and doa are just model viewer modes.

The only one I think is alarming is ffxv but I haven't personally looked into it for fear of spoilers

Edit : thanks for the dev insight superNESjoe. I kinda wish that Sony would release some sales numbers (never thought I'd say that...) because I have a feeling that attach rates are rather high.

Wait, how was war thunder? I've been waiting for news on that one, it was supposed to be a launch title. Worth the wait?

tr00per

Wait, how was war thunder? I've been waiting for news on that one, it was supposed to be a launch title. Worth the wait?

I mean I may not be the best person to ask as it was my first vr experience but the sense of scale was pretty incredible. I was advised not to do barrel rolls or immelmans but I did it anyway and it wasn't too hard on me.

That being said, since it does have quite a draw distance the psvr's resolution does come into play.

I was also spoiled by a hotas setup that they had

Pretty sure they also said it wasn't going to be the VR gameplay included with the game and was just some ideas they slapped on for E3 real quick.

I still can't believe people don't know this, we have linked them to interviews and videos that state this.

I kind of expect all VR development to simmer off in the coming months and years personally, not just PSVR. As much as I wanted it to succeed it came out the gate with no solution to playing your typical first person game and other than warping no solution appears to be in sight either.

Having to adhere to experiences created for it will be it's downfall instead of its strength in my opinion. I'd like at least one VR device for cockpit games and other non gaming applications, but the technology is too restrictive still for me and the price much too high to get so little use.

I do however expect VR to stick around and become a rather large part of the tech industry in the next decade. I also expect gaming to adopt the tech more heavily down the line, despite expecting a severe drop off soon too, but I think this hinges on it being easier to integrate into games that weren't made just for it.

cakely

Yep, you roam around the house with the DS4. It's got some extra options to reduce motion sickness (30 degree snap turning, for example).

It worked quite well though it was a little too intense for me, especially at the beginning. There are some scenarios I just don't actually want to "be there" for and that house is one of them.

As much as I wanted it to succeed it came out the gate with no solution to playing your typical first person game and other than warping no solution appears to be in sight either.

But you've heard of Resident Evil 7, right? It's a first-person game, which is playable in its entirety in VR.

You could be sceptical about its implementation, if it wasn't for the demo that's playable in VR and is available for free download now, and the countless impressions threads, YouTube videos, etc.

I appreciate that your post is just your opinion, but it's just so far away from reality that's it's bizarre.

Edit: and what about RIGS? But while typing this I realise I'm wasting my time, aren't I?

ranmafan

Where do you live? I swear I saw like 50 of them at bic camera a few weeks ago.

I live in Yamanashi. And my prefecture only has two stores that sale them according to sonys site, and they are always sold out there. Went once to one of them on a restock day and had no luck. Other stores in my area just have official signs from sony saying "we are not saleing vr here at this time."

I'm hoping I'll get lucky next week and get an order in online but chances of that are slim considering the day and time orders begin, which isn't good considering work schedules. Also lots of the stores are being super strict with how they want people to pay compared with usual items which sucks. But of course ya gotta win the lottery first just to order. But it's all ok, no real rush to get one yet but certainly when you live in the country, it's harder to get stuff. Hopefully I'll be lucky one day.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I mean I was impressed with the games I got. Especially VR Playroom and VR Worlds.

Playroom was neat, but how does it not fit into demos or short games? The platformer was awesome but it's one 5 minute level. The other mini games are fun, but also shallow and short. It's a cool free demo thing though.

Vr worlds was also essentially a demo or "experience" disc. All the titles are short or on rails.

Edit- worlds was also grossly overpriced for how short the content was.

But you've heard of Resident Evil 7, right? It's a first-person game, which is playable in its entirety in VR.

You could be sceptical about its implementation, if it wasn't for the demo that's playable in VR and is available for free download now, and the countless impressions threads, YouTube videos, etc.

I appreciate that your post is just your opinion, but it's just so far away from reality that's it's bizarre.

Edit: and what about RIGS? But while typing this I realise I'm wasting my time, aren't I?

No, but you're wasting a shitty attitude on me for no reason, you can take it elsewhere frankly.

Yes you can play RE7, I've not played it and unless they worked out some god like solution to make FPS work without giving people sever motion sickness I can't see it being anything but a problem. It but being a slow paced horror game it's likely easier to work around, in the same sense Alien worked to an extent. RIGS is a bit of a pointless example, it's a cockpit game as I mentioned and created specifically for VR. But you're kind of dancing around the point by giving me two single examples, one of which is useless in the context.

My question is this, Why is CoD and BF1 not VR enabled? That's the problem I'm talking about, not a few edge cases but it being easy to implement into the majority of games, not a minority. I mean I'm not even saying it can't be done, just that we aren't there yet so I'm struggling to see what the attitude was about.

Tagyhag

I still can't believe people don't know this, we have linked them to interviews and videos that state this.

Eh, if you're not hardcore following the VR game that demo was all you really should know about.

Not like the PS4 is powerful enough to run FFXV at 60fps so a shooting gallery made sense, especially if that's the only thing that they have shown lol.

No, but you're wasting a shitty attitude on me for no reason, you can take it elsewhere frankly.

Yes you can play RE7, I've not played it and unless they worked out some god like solution to make FPS work without giving people sever motion sickness I can't see it being anything but a problem. It but being a slow paced horror game it's likely easier to work around, in the same sense Alien worked to an extent. RIGS is a bit of a pointless example, it's a cockpit game as I mentioned and created specifically for VR. But you're kind of dancing around the point by giving me two single examples, one of which is useless in the context.

My question is this, Why is CoD and BF1 not VR enabled? That's the problem I'm talking about, not a few edge cases but it being easy to implement into the majority of games, not a minority. I mean I'm not even saying it can't be done, just that we aren't there yet so I'm struggling to see what the attitude was about.

Calm down. You made a statement about first-person games that I rebutted. You didn't specify COD or BF1, you made a general comment that there's no solution at present or in sight. That's just plain wrong.

You can revise your position to say that you're not including RE7 or RIGS because one's too slow and the other is mech-based, but how is anyone reasonably meant to get that from your original post?

There are plenty of examples of first-person games that work in VR; it's probably more common than third-person games.

Yes you can play RE7, I've not played it and unless they worked out some god like solution to make FPS work without giving people sever motion sickness I can't see it being anything but a problem. I mean, it's not even out so of course I haven't tried it but being a slow paced horror game it's likely easier to work around. RIGS is a bit of a pointless example, it's a cockpit game as I mentioned. But you're kind of dancing around the point by giving me two single examples, one of which is useless in the context.

Onward is probably the best example of a FPS in VR but it's only on Vive, even though not necessarily a direct comparison Windands is a great example of how fast paced more traditional FPS's could work, that is the game that shows the most potential for multiple genres that use a first person perspective such as platforming and alternative means of movement.

The biggest problem i'd see with CoD and Battlefield is their locomotion speeds and maintaining the feel for standard users whilst accommodating VR users and keeping it competitive and balanced, a game like Overwatch would probably be the best kind of FPS to accommodate the two due to the variety built into its core. There is also Serious Sam though I haven't played this and heard good things from those that have played Farpoint (can also be played with the DS4 as well as the aim) and Doom.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I didnt say its a failure, or say it is lacking of upcoming or already released games. I am just pointing out the increasing number of psvr games that has went cold.

Jimmy_liv

Lol! I've always struggled with horror games.
I watched a YouTube vid of R7 Begginjng hour and then played the VR demo. OMFG I shat myself.
I'm buying this for VR but praying I'll actually be able to play it!

tr00per

It's not as simple as ticking a box for VR. The traditional rules of game design don't apply. It's very rare that you can take an existing game mostly as is and translate it into VR. I'm talking about from a design standpoint, nevermind any potential control, engine, or logic problems. And also certain experiences can be less compelling in VR if not made well. It just serves the medium better to start from the ground up.

If you're interested I'll link a good video about it here

Edit: https://youtu.be/pWMp_o03qH4

Here starting at about 29 minutes. I'm having trouble finding a video that condensed it better

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Psychonauts was at psx

where and when did you played War Thunder?

Oresama

It's a good product and works well.. the support is shit though.

Sony better not Vita this thing.

This. I was excited for PSVR initially but after owning a PS Vita and seeing how they supported that device, I couldn't get on board without seeing how things would play out.

Maxrunner

I can't even....no idea where to begin.

1. PSVR is less than four months old.
2. PSVR had the best launch lineup of anything in years
3. PSVR was easily 30% of the Playstation experience on the floor.
4. PSVR is leading the VR hardware sales by a SIGNIFICANT margin.
5. PSVR adoption rate seems extraordinary if online enthusiasm is an indication.

Also, several big new titles have been announced for vr 2017...

...but wait, the big titles that we know are finished or near finished haven't even hit yet.

Resident Evil 7 is in two weeks. Ace Combat, Golem, Farpoint...none of these are far behind.

The amount of early support for this platform has been extraordinary. And this is just the beginning. Communication with Sony has been transparent and informative. We have a blog that updates us on new releases. A section in the online store just for VR, including it's own front page carousel. Kinect never had that level of support. Oculus was so bad at communicating, it didn't even tell its backers when they would get their hardware.

Not only is PSVR fine, it's proving so far that it's NOT a vita.

And for the record, I didn't even LIKE the vita but i have to commend sony for keeping it in the conversation as long as it has. More, even though they don't develop AAA games for the platform anymore, at least the streaming thing works and is supported by most releases. Vita TV? That's another story.

PSVR, though...?

People. Need. To. Stop. Overreacting.

Lol 399€ lol

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry but all VR is vaporware. As for PSVR in general, it will be as dead as Vita and Wii U was in two years. Sony should have waited until PlayStation 5 as opposed to rushing it out.

You really have to provide some further clarification here, given just how many hours I've spent playing VR games in 2016. Or the fact that there are now over 900 games with VR support on Steam.

Probably means that there's very few that offer full narrative experiences. A campaign, larger scale multiplayer etc. It's fair to say most the VR experiences out there are relatively short, limited experiences. I think RE7 is the first real killer software I've seen for VR. And that's limited to PSVR for a year... because exclusives for a platform that really needs growth is great.

Durante

Probably means that there's very few that offer full narrative experiences. A campaign, larger scale multiplayer etc.
Getting to that from "Sorry but all VR is vaporware." requires quite the complex feat of interpretation.

Also, Serious Sam VR: TFE has a campaign and 16 player coop, is that sufficiently "large-scale"? ;)
(It's really fun too)

Top Bottom