• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie Explains Why Destiny Is Not 60fps On The PS4 And Xbox One

The Alpha felt surprisingly good at 30fps. Maybe because it was actually locked at 30fps and not hovering around the 20s and 30s like most other 30fps games.

I'd still prefer that they's hit 60fps any way that they could but it doesn't sound like it's even on their radar to try.

coolmast3r

"We’re cross-platform, so we had to be very delicate with all four consoles, making sure they have the same experience, that it looks as good as it possibly can on all these consoles."

Hmm...Seriously? Why would I want to buy a PS4 or a Xbox One for so called "next-gen" Destiny if I get "the same experience" on my 5 year old PS3?

Jesus Christ. Stop with this PR bullshit already. Please.

“It’s a lot of different things,” explains Jason Sussman who is the senior environment artist at Bungie. “I could get really technical, but I’d bore you to death. A lot has to do with performance. We’re cross-platform, so we had to be very delicate with all four consoles, making sure they have the same experience, that it looks as good as it possibly can on all these consoles. A lot goes into that, from geometry to textures to post effects to particles to how many players you get on the screen. We’re always balancing that out to make sure everyone gets the same experience,”

No, please get technical. I'm really bored by platitudes.

not totally comparable when you have a single highly praised studio developing for 1 single platform, compared to a multiplat game being developed for 5 different platforms.

its 1080p/60 on current gen is a rarity.

Isn't that just moving goal posts? And, no it's not a rarity. It'll be more common as we proceed through this not even 1 year old generation.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Planetside 2 is 30fps on PS4.
Their official PR said the goal was maintaining 60 FPS which they will drop some time due to the unexpected nature of PS2 large scale battles.

You know that isn't true already? And E3 was just last week and they are already shown to be liars by BigTnaples.

"We’re cross-platform, so we had to be very delicate with all four consoles, making sure they have the same experience, that it looks as good as it possibly can on all these consoles."

Hmm...Seriously? Why would I want to buy a PS4 or a Xbox One for so called "next-gen" Destiny if I get "the same experience" on my 5 year old PS3?

Jesus Christ. Stop with this PR bullshit already. Please.

To be fair to Bungie, they aren't making the consoles, so there isn't a whole lot of incentive for them to sell new consoles, with the exception of some sort of interest in the future health of the industry (Presuming that the industry needs new consoles to maintain health). But presumably, all developers, from a business perspective, would be fine with consoles being the same in perpetuity as they're not making more money (Less in fact given the investment in new engines) by selling their game on new consoles. They're just concerned with selling as many copies as possible.

They chose visuals instead of frame rate and the new consoles couldn't run @60 fps with the graphics they were targeting...
Where are the news?

Color me surprised...

Gurrry

No, please get technical. I'm really bored by platitudes.

Agreed.

I hate when people say this.

Please DO bore us with the details because those are the only things that actually matter. Otherwise, it just sounds like you don't even know what the details are and you just sound like a talking head.

m@cross

50 fps is worst then a locked 30. So is an unstable 60fps. AF takes maybe 2-3 fps max...not 30.

You completely missed the point;

you say there is no way it was that the PS4 could do 60fps but the XB1 could only do 30 because the system power is not that big of a difference.

I said it might not be half the difference, but maybe XB1 was at 50, but (as you pointed out) 50 sucks so they'd have to drop it to 30. So instead of a 60fps PS4 and a 50FPS XB1 they decided on a 30FPS of both to keep them similar.

I am not quoting some exact FPS numbers here, I am just throwing out examples that show it didn't have to be 30 vs 60 difference to make them think 30 for both was the right move.

Orayn

Ignoring 160 million console owners seems dumb to me.

Well, there's some give and take on this. Last-gen sales have experienced a pretty steep drop for a lot of multiplats, and making sure the game can run on 2005/2006 hardware can be impose some limitations. It's not always about leaving money on the table.

They chose visuals instead of frame rate and the new consoles are too weak to run @60 fps with the graphics they were targeting...

Where are the news?
But that's not what they're saying at all. They're saying that they wanted to make all the consoles, current and last gen, run the game on equal ground. They openly admitted to downgrading the current gen version so the last gen people wouldn't feel left out.

Isn't that just moving goal posts? And, no it's not a rarity. It'll be more common as we proceed through this not even 1 year old generation.

I don't think so. Every time a developer learns how to unlock some more power of a given console, he puts it into higher fidelity graphics, or on PS360 we would have all games 720x60 by the end of the generation, but with graphics of the first year titles.

Boss Mog

We’re cross-platform, so we had to be very delicate with all four consoles, making sure they have the same experience

What? No.

People that buy it on PS3 are not gonna go: "Man this sucks I'm not getting the same experience as PS4".

Eusis

No.

No.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Fuck every single thing about this.
They're clearly not slavishly following this or else we wouldn't have 1080p. That, or last gen versions are going to be the technical marvels of the generation.
This is so arrogant.

Maybe some people can't afford to spend £380 on a new console and game.
At some point you have to cut out the older hardware, and there'll always be price drops on new consoles for people to jump in later on.

With that said I don't think that point's particularly relevant here, like i said the game was announced quite awhile before the newer systems were revealed. It'd be unfair to scrap the games NOW after the game's this far along and the systems are still slated to be hit... not that that's stopped companies in the past (oh hey we'll announce a bunch of GC games just before the Wii comes out haha just kidding they're now Wii games.)

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Ignoring 160 million console owners seems dumb to me.

pretty much this.
people complaining saying why bother making a next gen version needs to sit down and think about it.
We all know old gen is not going to look anywhere close to what current gen looks like.
Hence the GTAV port.

KJRS_1993

Please DO bore us with the details because those are the only things that actually matter. Otherwise, it just sounds like you don't even know what the details are and you just sound like a talking head.

Senior environment artist at Bungie.
Random kids on NeoGAF.

Cmon dude, who's in a position to tell who that they don't know the details? :p

Gurrry

You completely missed the point;

you say there is no way it was that the PS4 could do 60fps but the XB1 could only do 30 because the system power is not that big of a difference.

I said it might not be half the difference, but maybe XB1 was at 50, but (as you pointed out) 50 sucks so they'd have to drop it to 30. So instead of a 60fps PS4 and a 50FPS XB1 they decided on a 30FPS of both to keep them similar.

I am not quoting some exact FPS numbers here, I am just throwing out examples that show it didn't have to be 30 vs 60 difference to make them think 30 for both was the right move.

Im pretty sure that if they could get the game to 60 fps on PS4, they would have. I dont think it has anything to do with the XB1's limitations.

J10

Banned
Well, there's some give and take on this. Last-gen sales have experienced a pretty steep drop for a lot of multiplats, and making sure the game can run on 2005/2006 hardware can be impose some limitations. It's not always about leaving money on the table.

Moot point. Game is gonna cost half a billion after marketing. They're not gonna recoup that on a handful of PS4s and X1s.

maneil99

They chose visuals instead of frame rate and the new consoles couldn't run @60 fps with the graphics they were targeting...

Where are the news?

Zh7LUIY.jpg

Vire

Incredibly confused by this answer. I've re-read it about four times and I still don't understand what he is getting at.

Please, bore me with the technical details rather than beating around the bush.

maneil99

How many of those consoles are still active vs the migration to next gen?

Every NPD it looks like last gen is cratering with PS4/XB1 having 60-70% of software sales of the cross-gen games.

Why lose 30-40% for a vocal minority that wants 60 overs 30 fps only a year into next gen?

Im pretty sure that if they could get the game to 60 fps on PS4, they would have. I dont think it has anything to do with the XB1's limitations.
But isn't this thread focused on discussing the quote from the article? They're literally saying that the reason the game looks and runs the way it does on every console, is because they wanted to balance it out, and make it run and look similarly on current and last generation consoles.

If they had said the game runs and looks the way it does, because of hardware limitations on current generation consoles, they would have. But they didn't.

We're going to have to wait and see how the Beta runs on last generation consoles before we can assume that hardware limitations were the cause.

From the interview:
When you’re playing in the Crucible, yeah, absolutely. Same thing when you’re in a public space and a public event’s going off, with other players all running to one area that’s blowing up. Everyone’s throwing their supers, tossing grenades. You talk about everything going off at once, that’s where it happens.

It's for gameplay reasons too. Gameplay > technical performance.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Their official PR said the goal was maintaining 60 FPS which they will drop some time due to the unexpected nature of PS2 large scale battles.

You know that isn't true already? And E3 was just last week and they are already shown to be liars by BigTnaples.

Nice edit bro.... Missed that thread, last I had heard they were aiming for "Smooth FPS" not 60. Sorry I missed a page and a half thread during E3. My bad.

Gurrry

Senior environment artist at Bungie.
Random kids on NeoGAF.

Cmon dude, who's in a position to tell who that they don't know the details? :p

All im saying is that if someone asks you about specifics, don't insult our intelligence by assuming the details would "bore us" or that we wouldn't understand.

Nzyme32

Every NPD it looks like last gen is cratering with PS4/XB1 having 60-70% of software sales of the cross-gen games.

Why give up 40% or 30%. This is business, they are not going to say no to that at all.

Eusis

Moot point. Game is gonna cost half a billion after marketing. They're not gonna recoup that on a handful of PS4s and X1s.
Well, they plausibly could or else the initial plans for being Xbox exclusive were bullshit, but they don't really want to take that chance when they've already committed this much to getting to run on PS3/360. They'll just dump them for Destiny 2, I think that was the plan anyway.

EDIT: And what was said above, if the game's not that much more expensive to get on PS3/360 there's no good reason to cut them out of the loop.

I don't think so. Every time a developer learns how to unlock some more power of a given console, he puts it into higher fidelity graphics, or on PS360 we would have all games 720x60 by the end of the generation, but with graphics of the first year titles.

Like my first point said, wait for Uncharted 4 to decide what the standard for next-gen visuals will be among the elite developers. I think once 1080p/60fps in Uncharted 4 is cemented as the benchmark for visuals, devs with similar aims will have lots of explaining to do if they miss this mark, or release a game less visually stunning that is somehow a lower resolution or lower framerate.

J10

Banned

It took PS3 and X360 almost a decade to reach those numbers, and neither did as well as PS2 did previously in less time. Cratering is an exaggeration. Destiny has no business being next gen only. Period.

Top Bottom