• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie Explains Why Destiny Is Not 60fps On The PS4 And Xbox One

Nibel

A much more reasonable explanation than what Ready At Dawn said about The Order, but that's a topic for another thread. It's the first time for Bungie to work on multiple platforms like they do with Destiny, so I can understand where they are coming from. Pressure on their shoulders is already big enough and making it a high priority to make the game run on all platforms "equally good" is something I understand.

Do I prefer 60 FPS? Absolutely. Does it change my opinion about the game? Not really since I spent time with it and it works good enough for me to consider buying it at launch day. I played all the Halos on the Xbox 360 and I had my fun with them despite the framerate and other technical issues.

kiguel182

So, cross-gen is the problem.

I don't understand how a game with a 10 year plan is focusing resources on 8 year old machines that have 2 years at best left.

They should've gone full force on the current-gen systems. AAA companies had very little foresight when it came to 360/PS3 sales since games like Watch_Dogs are showing that current-gen is where the bulk of sales are occurring.

I doubt they are talking about the PS4 and PS3 versions having the same experience....I think you'll find the answer in your post. The push to get XB1 to run it at 1080p likely meant 30 fps (since very few XB1 games run at 1080/60), and they probably don't want the PS4 version to be blatantly superior.

OF COURSE THIS IS SPECULATION. But I believe this is absolutely a possibility.

Why is this bad? They sell one either way. XB1 player either buys it there, or decides to buy a PS4 and buys it there. Why not just make the best possible game on all systems? If there is crossplay, fine, but without crossplay I don't understand why they would pull their punches.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
With this and the recent Watch_Dogs PC settings discovery... it's time to start boycotting some publishers/developers for this shit.
No thanks. I don't think I can do the indie-only life, or Nintendo-only life where "next" gen and even current gen tech just doesn't exist. Boycott games that are scaled down? Sure.

You do realize that higher frames per second do not make a game better visually right? It makes a game play and feel better, but for it to look "absolutely stunning" 60 FPS won't help that.
Uh, no. A higher framerate also makes every single frame look better. Come by my place and I can show you 30, 60, 120fps with both standard backlighting and strobing to show you what framerates do to modern displays. And then even aside from the hard benefits in the display itself, the increased motion data itself actually helps your eyes/brain track details better to soak in what is in each frame. Framerate has a huge impact on the visual appeal of a game.

Because having higher frames per second does NOTHING to the visual quality of a game. You aren't getting higher resolution textures. You aren't getting a better lighting model. You aren't getting more advanced shaders. You aren't getting higher poly models. You aren't getting more Particles on screen. You don't get more enemies on screen. You aren't getting any more visual flare than with 30 FPS.

The only "visual" difference would be smoother animations, which I would hardly consider what makes a game look "absolutely stunning"
A game is not transmitted to your brain directly from the GPU.

It's not just the numbers, and with a Sega logo in your av you should know this full well since Dreamcast had so many awesome 60FPS games.

Well, yes, you're right about the fps part. I would prefer 60fps games (and enjoyed many arcade classics on the DC (and Saturn) at that fps). But I also think 30 fps isn't the end of the world.

My point is generally about 1080p/60fps being the definitive thing that makes something next gen, and when a game isn't people explode and/or don't consider it in any way (as if they're only judging the game on those merits). There are other factors that aren't as easy to compare with numbers (like overall visual improvements), but still make something "next gen".

But if we're talking just about framerate, I would prefer lower resolution with higher framerate. It would be nice if Destiny went that direction. But I think they wouldn't want to deal with the backlash of not being at 1080p.

Rising_Hei

We’re always balancing that out to make sure everyone gets the same experience,”
Nothing else needs to be said i guess.
Seriously, some games just shouldn't be released on PS360 anymore, it hurts more than it helps, imo

Karl Hawk

Banned
So, cross-gen is the problem.

I don't understand how a game with a 10 year plan is focusing resources on 8 year old machines that have 2 years at best left.

They should've gone full force on the current-gen systems. AAA companies had very little foresight when it came to 360/PS3 sales since games like Watch_Dogs are showing that current-gen is where the bulk of sales are occurring.

Destiny is not one game with 10 year plan. Bungie and Activision intends to make four Destiny games for 10 years.

Tigress

You know, I don't get why not try to make the best of each platform and I don't get people whining when a version on an obviously better machine is better than the version on theirs (is this really a big problem if they don't do parity?).

I mean if I were still stuck on PS3 I wouldn't expect the PS4 version to be the same just so I could feel better that some other version wasn't far superior. I'd realize it's cause my machine isn't as good and if i want the better version I have to get the machine that can play the better version (and if I can't afford it, well, at least I still can play it even if it isn't top of the line).

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Ermm, nah yer alright. This is how things work I'm afraid. You make a high investment like this game, you need to ensure it's playable by a huge range of people as possible.
Get your panties in a bunch if you want mate, the rest of the world will enjoy the game.

I'm not annoyed by companies ensuring a game is playable across all platforms. I'm annoyed that games on more powerful systems are actually being held back for the sake of parity.

Don't punish those with the stronger systems just so everyone can experience the same thing. Build the game to be the best it can be for each system it is on.

manual4

Banned
I doubt they are talking about the PS4 and PS3 versions having the same experience....I think you'll find the answer in your post. The push to get XB1 to run it at 1080p likely meant 30 fps (since very few XB1 games run at 1080/60), and they probably don't want the PS4 version to be blatantly superior.

OF COURSE THIS IS SPECULATION. But I believe this is absolutely a possibility.

nonsense. They were clearly talking about cross gen. The game was most likely being made for last gen before the next gen consoles. Infact I am pretty sure a 2012 leak regarding the game said it was being made for the 360 first

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
maybe for you? I didnt have any issues. Nor anyone else i played with. And I even watched Twitch streams (lirik) were they werent even sure what the fps were, even after playign it for a god while.

Wouldnt latency have more to do with the network code, and i think the slugishness has more to do with the controls. I found them intially slugish, but upping my senstivity helped, and it felt at home after that. yes a higher fps would give the game better player feedback and let you respond to situations better, I would agree.

Man it's nature. Some people deal better with 30fps induced motion sickness than others, but the fact is that we ALL enjoy the benefits of moving images at 60fps, simply because it's closer to what we experience daily.

Hell, if Activision gets wind of a campaign for 60fps Destiny they would probably make it happen with a little bit of Sony's pocket. They did associate themselves with the gold standard by being the publishers of CoD after all.

gruenel

holy shit thats funny

funny thing is it is a bit true. The harder your GPU is pushed, the hotter it gets and the faster your fan needs to work.

I do that with my PC all the time. Crysis will work my GPU hard causing it to be around 64 degrees celcius. A game like Borderlands 2, not at all. I run that game at 48 celcius

Yup it's true, there's a reason the PS3 fan goes insane when playing games like TLoU or GTA5 which really push the system to its limits.

Alpha looked really pretty. Would've loved to see what it would have looked like not being crossgen, but not much to be done about it now.

Can people play with each other irrespective of what platform they are on? I guess it kind of makes sense to want parity to allow for cross-platform play, then.

That's an opinion, far from a fact.

Ok, you tell me... since its clearly just MY opinion. What about 60 FPS would make a game look "absolutely stunning" in comparison to 30 FPS?

What aspect of the visuals are improved because of the frame rate that make it look "absolutely stunning" as was stated before?

Does Battlefield 3 not look "absolutely stunning" at 30 FPS when compared to BF4 at 60? What is so much better visually? Please tell me.

Disappointed it's not 60fps on PS4, but the Alpha looked beautiful and also the framerate was solid. So, it's not a total bummer.

Ok, you tell me... since its clearly just MY opinion. What about 60 FPS would make a game look "absolutely stunning" in comparison to 30 FPS?

What aspect of the visuals are improved because of the frame rate that make it look "absolutely stunning" as what stated before?

Does Battlefield 3 not look "absolutely stunning" at 30 FPS when compared to BF4 at 60? What is so much better visually? Please tell me.

It basically changes everything from a visual standpoint. The fluidity of motion, the apparent motion of objects is vastly improved, the feedback and responsiveness of the controls, the 'immersion' created by the smooth presentation. These are all major benefits of games with a solid 60fps.

And here from a scientific standpoint:

Higher frame rates capture much more of the action every second, so there is much less opportunity for action to blur in any single frame. This produces much sharper images and creates the effect of higher perceived resolution on screen, both because of the blur reduction and the higher number of frames that present more information to our eyes. Perceptually, higher frame rates create the effect of higher resolution without increasing the number of pixels on screen.
http://www.es.com/Products/60Frames.html

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
No thanks. I don't think I can do the indie-only life, or Nintendo-only life where "next" gen and even current gen tech just doesn't exist. Boycott games that are scaled down? Sure.

Isn't that pretty much what the Bungie rep is saying? If you have a PS4, your version will be scaled down to accommodate less powerful hardware for the sake of "experience parity."

In other news, Nintendo first-party Wii U games regularly hit 1080/60fps. Why? No compromises. That's just what you get with multiplatform games. Nature of the beast.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Why is this bad? They sell one either way. XB1 player either buys it there, or decides to buy a PS4 and buys it there. Why not just make the best possible game on all systems? If there is crossplay, fine, but without crossplay I don't understand why they would pull their punches.

THANK YOU. Bungie should be glad they're getting budgeted to put their game out for home appliances if they could.

It's all corporate politics.

Wasp

Can they also explain why the game doesn't have local co-op or local competitive?

It seems like the game is much more co-op centric and social focused than the Halo series yet Bungie have abandoned couch multiplayer after more than a decade of supporting it in Halo.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Yeah, I have a hard time believing that too, especially with the lighting they showed off in the initial reveal. Am looking forward to seeing that in-game at some point.

That Lighting is still in the game 100%

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7UqoXP2BF8

We just don't get the stroy beats so it can't be replicated 100% yet. Only difference is you get Ghosts larger flashlight enabled. But you can see the same exact effects when other Guardians use their flashlight in that area.

NIN90

Was that the objective of Rockstar and because they only reached 59FPS they decided to increase the active AI actors and tons of extra alpha blended textures and shit?

So it doesn't? Bringing up the performance of an unreleased Rockstar title isn't gonna prove anything since their games have notoriously bad performance on consoles and PC.

maneil99

In other news, Nintendo first-party Wii U games regularly hit 1080/60fps. Why? No compromises. That's just what you get with multiplatform games. Nature of the beast.

Is this a joke? Wii U games don't regularly hit 60 fps at 1080p nor do anything on a technical level close to Destiny.

kiguel182

Destiny is not one game with 10 year plan. Bungie and Activision intends to make four Destiny games for 10 years.

I thought the plan was to release additional content over the base game.

My bad then. Hopefully they re-done tons of stuff when the series goes current-gen only then.

In other news, Nintendo first-party games regularly hit 1080/60fps. Why? No compromises. That's just what you get with multiplatform games. Nature of the beast.

The only first party game that's 1080P/60 on the Wii U is Super Smash Bros.

NSMBU is 720/60
DKCTF is 720/60
MK8 is 720/60
Pikmin 3 is 720/30
SM3DW is 720/60
Wind Waker HD is 1080/30

Squishy3

Can they also explain why the game doesn't have local co-op or local competitive?

It seems like the game is much more co-op centric and social focused than the Halo series yet Bungie have abandoned couch multiplayer after more than a decade of supporting it in Halo.
Because for some reason it's impossible to have online and offline co-op, it's always one or the other.

m@cross

Or they can't get the PS4 version at a locked 60 fps... Stop the conspiracy bullshit.

<sarcasm>Right, because of the non-existent number of examples of cross platform current gen games that run worse on XB1 makes the idea that XB1 could be the issue absolutely impossible. </sarcasm>

What aspect of the visuals are improved because of the frame rate that make it look "absolutely stunning" as was stated before?

I don't understand your argument. A framerate IS a visual trait (though it definitely affects gameplay as well). You're talking about it like if you can't see it in a screenshot, then it's not a visual improvement. A smoother/higher framerate makes the game APPEAR smoother in motion, which is something you observe with your eyes.

My frustration stems from the fact that, most likely Destiny COULD run and look better on the PS4, but it just isn't going to, cause of parity.

It is like going out and buying a brand new 2015 Jaguar. Getting excited, jumping into the car and revving up the engine and zooming down the track. The speedometer shows 200 on this version, and 160 on your old version. But as soon as you hit 160, the engine stops you from going any faster. You check the manual and you see a message saying, " due to wishing for all Jaguar owners to have equal experiences, this car's top speed will be the same as last years model. We are sorry for any inconvenience this may cause "

In the end, still an awesome drive in your Jaguar, but you sure do wish you could go 200 instead of 160.

You really can't compare a first party developer making exclusives to a third party developer who is making their first non-Xbox game since PS2 launched. Nintendo still has to make compromises to meet those standards. There aren't even that many 1080p/60fps Nintendo games on Wii U. Smash is the only one I can think of.

what graphically demanding games have PS4 been running at 1080p/60fps? yeah exactly, so why would anyone have such expectation for this game?

Top Bottom